HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GMs call for mandatory visors

View Poll Results: Should visors be made mandatory for all players?
Yes 25 59.52%
No 17 40.48%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-26-2011, 06:39 AM
GrizzLeaf

vCash: 500
It's a non-issue for those players that do wear them. They don't seem bothered by obstructed vision or foggging. If Kessel and Grabo can wear them without problems, and still put up big numbers, then it's all just excuses. Heck, even Ovie and Crosby wear visors.

The fogging issue was never much of a problem. Back when I played the transparent visors were just coming out. They only fogged if you didn't apply an anti-fog film on it before game time. Shampoo, believe it or not, worked very well, to keep the visor from foggin hehehe. I imagine some better products have been developed since then.

It's all just excuses. People, including hockey players, just don't like change.

GrizzLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 06:47 AM
4evaBlue
Corsi != Possession

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
I'm more of a cage guy myself, but apparently this stuff works more or less flawlessly, and completely eliminates visor fog if used properly:

http://www.fogtech.com/fogtech.html

Visors can still be a minor, minor distraction even without fog, and some guys like to feel the fresh air on their face, but IMO it's a change that's very easy to get used to. I think guys mostly don't wear them so as to look more manly, and for fighters they don't wear them so they can keep their helmets on during fights (get rocked or taken down in a fight without your helmet on and your head can smash on the ice, causing very serious damage, I have a friend of a friend who died this way).
They've had the anti fog sprays around for at least 20 years. Sure they stink, but they do a pretty good job of keeping the visor fog free. As for the fighters, I think they could use some kind of quick release mechanism that makes the visor either removable or maybe flippable to the backside of the helm. Fight is bout to start? Drop gloves, "drop" your visor, and you're gtg.

At the end of the day, though, the players have the option to use visors. If they feel their vision is not important enough for them to protect, who are we to argue?

I can see where the GMs are coming from, though. In a sense, they're trying to protect their "investments".

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 07:48 AM
Brown Dog

My wife and I were talking about this last week while looking up and down the Leafs' bench. There were probably at least a dozen players in the shot and only one (Brown?) wasn't wearing one.

I think a grandfathered visor rule is a good idea, as it would eliminate any remaining visor stigma. But based on the number of young guys who come into the league wearing them, we're essentially already there.

Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 08:22 AM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

vCash: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Silver View Post
It's you who should get their facts straight.

How many times has Cherry talked about a player pulling a cheap tactic (non-fighting related) and said something to the effect of this player being a visor-wearing ninny?

Tons of times. It's not just the fighting ramifications of visors that Cherry has issues with.
And the thing is, usually he's right. I play in a league, supposed to be non-hitting. No cage or visor is mandatory. And I can handle some bumping and some chippy hockey, that's fine, but you know who's usually behind, the cheap hits from behind, the sticks up in the air, the crosschecks to the back, and running away first? The kids behind the cages. That's who.

Look, I don't even care if you want to pull that crap during beer league hockey. But if you're gonna, don't hide behind a cage and be exactly what you say Cherry is talking about. Again, I think visors are a good thing. I remember watching live when Berard took the stick to his eye. I think they should be grandfathered in eventually, but, if you're gonna run around a be a little **** out there, or if you're gonna be a fighter, don't bother.

tp71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 08:33 AM
blueonwhite

It makes no sense to have just defencemen wear mandatory visors and not all players.

btw - holmgren's nickname is homer? ouch

blueonwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 08:56 AM
GrizzLeaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp71 View Post
And the thing is, usually he's right. I play in a league, supposed to be non-hitting. No cage or visor is mandatory. And I can handle some bumping and some chippy hockey, that's fine, but you know who's usually behind, the cheap hits from behind, the sticks up in the air, the crosschecks to the back, and running away first? The kids behind the cages. That's who.

Look, I don't even care if you want to pull that crap during beer league hockey. But if you're gonna, don't hide behind a cage and be exactly what you say Cherry is talking about. Again, I think visors are a good thing. I remember watching live when Berard took the stick to his eye. I think they should be grandfathered in eventually, but, if you're gonna run around a be a little **** out there, or if you're gonna be a fighter, don't bother.
If it becomes mandatory, then everyone will be wearing one, so they all could be considered "hiding" behind one. In other words, all players would be on equal ground in terms of visors.

There's currently a rule at the NHL level where fighting is concerned. If you fight while wearing a visor, and you opponent doesn't have one, you are assessed an extra 2 minute minor.

I'm guessing if they do make it mandatory, we'll see manufacturers come out with a "quick release" system for fighters wearing a visor. A sort of, one button way to have the visor come away, so fighters can do their thing, like 4evaBlue suggested.

Old
10-26-2011, 09:09 AM
Mansfield
possession obsession

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
Way to go after probably one of the biggest proponents of safety in hockey.
yeah lol

I think if it was made mandatory the fighting issue would go away - it's only a problem when some enforcers wear them and some don't.

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 09:09 AM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

vCash: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzLeaf View Post
If it becomes mandatory, then everyone will be wearing one, so they all could be considered "hiding" behind one. In other words, all players would be on equal ground in terms of visors.

There's currently a rule at the NHL level where fighting is concerned. If you fight while wearing a visor, and you opponent doesn't have one, you are assessed an extra 2 minute minor.

I'm guessing if they do make it mandatory, we'll see manufacturers come out with a "quick release" system for fighters wearing a visor. A sort of, one button way to have the visor come away, so fighters can do their thing, like 4evaBlue suggested.
No they wouldn't. I was just giving the poster an example of Cherry possibly being right about people 'hiding' behind visors or cages in this instance. It happens. But you're right. It puts everyone on the same street.

It's a good rule that they put in place. Although I imagine you could then do away with it if they became mandatory.

The quick release system would be great. It would allow players to remove the visors so they don't have to worry about punching a visor, yet keeping their helmet on so they don't smack their head off the ice. There's some good developments being made, and it's definitely interesting, at least I think, to hear different takes on it from fans and analysts alike.

tp71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 09:12 AM
MeoTwist

Why can't you people let the grown men make their own choices?

MeoTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 09:16 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

no brained.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 09:26 AM
robdicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwist View Post
because it is such an easily preventable injury, and although it is rare it should never happen that someone loses their vision.

I know you can take that "if they wanna take that risk let em" but this is more than just the players. Imagine of Crosby/OV didn't wear a visor and they got a stick to the eye and were out of hockey forever because of it? How dumb is that? The league is working so hard to to safeguard against headshots, hits from behind, and anything that can lead to a concussion, but that is a hard job. Throwing a visor on the remaining few that don't already have them is such an easy fix, it is stupid not to do it.

robdicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 09:35 AM
MeoTwist

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdicks View Post
because it is such an easily preventable injury, and although it is rare it should never happen that someone loses their vision.

I know you can take that "if they wanna take that risk let em" but this is more than just the players. Imagine of Crosby/OV didn't wear a visor and they got a stick to the eye and were out of hockey forever because of it? How dumb is that? The league is working so hard to to safeguard against headshots, hits from behind, and anything that can lead to a concussion, but that is a hard job. Throwing a visor on the remaining few that don't already have them is such an easy fix, it is stupid not to do it.

Name me one player that lost his vision permanently as a result of not wearing a visor? (that's not a rhetorical question, I'm wondering if there actually are any)

MeoTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 09:53 AM
GrizzLeaf

Quote:
Too many "grown men" are just plain stupid.

If given the choice, less people would wear seat belts, bike helmets, motorcycle helmets
and racing on city streets would become the norm. What keeps people from doing these stupid things, are the law the the penalties that enforce that law.

It's the same with sports. Until a new piece of safety equipment becomes mandatory, most grown men will ignore it for a whole slew of reasons.

There was a time when helmets were optional in the NHL. Good thing they didn't let those grown men decide for themselves.

Old
10-26-2011, 09:55 AM
GrizzLeaf

Quote:
Name me one player that lost his vision permanently as a result of not wearing a visor? (that's not a rhetorical question, I'm wondering if there actually are any)
My uncle. He may not have ever played in the NHL, but he's been blind in one eye since the 80's, due to an errant stick, during a men's league game. He wasn't wearing a visor.

Edit: if you're looking for an NHLer that lost his vision. I believe Bernie Parent lost vision in one eye and retired because if it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernie_Parent

Old
10-26-2011, 09:58 AM
LC

vCash: 50
Quote:
Shampoo, believe it or not, worked very well, to keep the visor from foggin hehehe. I imagine some better products have been developed since then.

It's all just excuses. People, including hockey players, just don't like change.
Sunlight dish soap works really well too. I used to use it on my paintball masks.

LC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 10:01 AM
Christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lollipop King View Post
Cherry has a problem with people who fight with visors on. Get you facts straight before you try to attack someone.

Players have the choice to wear one or not to. Its up to them, they are big boys who can make their own decisions. Stop trying to change something that has no affect on you. People are becoming softer every day.
In a normal situation, I am in 100% agreement that as grown men they should have a choice over if they want to wear a visor or not but the case of NHL players is special. The reason I say this is that NHL player, especially stars, have a huge amount of money invested in them. If these players are hurt, franchises lose not only the player, but potentially wins and playoff revenue that may have been made. Also, fans of the team pay to see their favourite players play. Flyers fans are not going to be as happy going to see their team play without Pronger. Since the majority of eye injuries are preventable through the use of visors, the NHL owners should have the right to dictate to it's players that they must wear visors.

Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 10:05 AM
ACC1224

Quote:
My uncle. He may not have ever played in the NHL, but he's been blind in one eye since the 80's, due to an errant stick, during a men's league game. He wasn't wearing a visor.

Edit: if you're looking for an NHLer that lost his vision. I believe Bernie Parent lost vision in one eye and retired because if it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernie_Parent
Parent had a teammate, (maybe Ed VanImpe or one of the Watson brothers??) who's career was over.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 10:08 AM
CanadasTeam

Quote:
Yeah seriously, I'm a grown man why force us to wear seatbelts while driving? geez.

CanadasTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 10:10 AM
GrizzLeaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Parent had a teammate, (maybe Ed VanImpe or one of the Watson brothers??) who's career was over.
Found this on Joe Watson.

.... "Just 16 games into his first campaign, while playing against St. Louis, Watson chased a loose puck near the end of the ice. The Blues' Wayne Babych checked him against the boards, leaving the fallen rearguard with the worst broken leg in NHL history. His thighbone was shattered into 14 pieces and his kneecap was split in two. Watson's career on ice was over. He was lucky to escape with only a permanently disabled leg... "

http://www.legendsofhockey.net/Legen...p?player=14650

Old
10-26-2011, 10:25 AM
Brown Dog

Quote:
But why wait for it to happen? If visors reduce the risk of eye injuries, mandate them. It really is as simple as that.

Bryan Berard was eventually able to resume his career after he took a stick in the eye, but he was never the same.

Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 10:30 AM
Odinson

Not really a big deal to me, it's a players choice, and a comfort thing.

Odinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 10:48 AM
TrueBlue86

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lollipop King View Post
Cherry has a problem with people who fight with visors on. Get you facts straight before you try to attack someone.

Players have the choice to wear one or not to. Its up to them, they are big boys who can make their own decisions. Stop trying to change something that has no affect on you. People are becoming softer every day.
are you kidding man?

he constantly gives backhanded insults to visor wearing players. i remember watching HNIC last year (leafs vs buffalo in buffalo) and he said something to the effect that players with visors should not act tough around players with visors

i've constantly listened to him making cases why visors are not manly
it's kind of a 'tough guy' issue. if people did not have to wear seat belts, many would not.

sometimes you have to mandate things for people's own good because there are people like you and cherry out there

TrueBlue86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 10:50 AM
4evaBlue
Corsi != Possession

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdicks View Post
To elaborate on this point. How often do players get hit with the puck (or a stick) in the privates? Not very often. Do people think they'd even consider going on the ice without wearing a jock?

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 10:51 AM
TrueBlue86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitosukri View Post
The problem with visors I think(?) is they fog up mid-shift and mess up your vision.

If that can fix that issue, I don't think they'd have an excuses left.

What's up with cages, though? Are they illegal in the NHL?
yea because we've seen a million shots of players sitting on the bench with fogged up visors

give me a break. all top players wear them, especially the snipers

it's the goons and wannabe tough guys

TrueBlue86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 10:57 AM
bluenote

I say leave it up to the players. If they want to take the risk and not wear one, then fine. They know the risks. You're seeing more and more players wearing them now anyway.

bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote