HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers 3 - Canucks 2 (Hodgson, Burrows)

Old
10-26-2011, 01:07 AM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
Did Luongo get this much **** last October too when he had a slow start?
It's been increasing in intensity with each subsequent playoff ousting.

mrmyheadhurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 01:09 AM
dsedin

vCash: 500
Does anyone else feel that Hodgson would better suit the second line than Higgins? I wouldn't mind if they experiment with the American line a bit longer but I'd like to see Hodgson centering Keser and Booth... Hodgson has the playmaking ability that I feel none of those three have. With the exception of one game I've loved Hodgson's game..he's been trying to use his linemates and when that fails he starts to hold onto the puck and shoot more.

This would move Higgins to the third line and I feel that Higgins-Lappy can be a good pair to anchor that third line, this move essentially bumps Malhotra to the fourth line; Malhotra and Hansen could anchor the fourth line ..they already have some solid chemistry, and to be honest, they could use reduced ice time until they start playing to their potential.

dsedin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 01:10 AM
Fictional Realism
Moustache Power

vCash: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal 9000 View Post
The Sedins were awful tonight - except maybe 2 shifts after the game was said and done. The Oiler d-men shut hem down at every turn and when matched against the young players, looked slow and confused.

P.s - Burrows had an awsome goal, which made the Sedins game look decent on paper.
I didn't say they had a good game, I said they'd be good this season. They're both on 100+ point paces despite not even playing near top form. If there are two guys I'm not worried about, it's the Twins.

Fictional Realism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 01:13 AM
biturbo19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Bazooka View Post
I wish Ehrhoff were still here. Nothing against Ballard but AV apparently still hates him and refuses to play him so what was the point of keeping him?
The way things have shaken out thus far in the season, I would've been a lot happier had we kept Ehrhoff rather than Bieksa as i endorsed regularly all last season, even when Bieksa wasn't playing like a turd.

But i completely understand the sentiment on Ballard too. Whether or not he would've been moveable without taking back something awful in return is questionable though. It is immensely frustrating watching how little ice time the guy gets, especially when we're behind and he is likely our best offensive catalyst back there right now, with Ehrhoff gone and Edler not quite getting it done.

I still think that going back to Hamhuis-Bieksa and then sticking Edler-Ballard together for more than a game and hoping they can find some chemistry is the best bet for getting our d-corps back in order and contributing more effectively offensively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
which is why Hodgson should be with them and not Higgins. Hodgson is a pass first kind of guy.

I also believe he has a better shot than Kes.
Agreed. Hodgson has a knack for finding guys in shooting positions...and while Higgins brings good puck retrieval skills to that line, i think that Booth+Kesler can probably get that done without him. And Higgins' puck retrieval could help get that no frills cycle game going for the 3rd a little bit more effectively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
- Malhotra really struggling. Will have to be put on the 4th line if he can't work his game out by 15-20 games into the season. Just not driving the play defensive the way he has in the past. Hansen playing poorly as well, but in part he's being dragged down by Malhotra. Nice to see Hodgson score, best player on that line tonight by a mile.

- I was giving Bieksa 10 games before getting too critical but I'm pulling the plug at 9. Another awful performance, now 1 point and a -7 through 9 games. This guy was pretty close to the worst regular defender in the league for 3.5 years before his miracle transformation in the last 50 games of last year, and right now he's playing as bad as he ever has. Same lazy, casual, soft crap play we've seen from him on a consistent basis in prior years. Needs to get his head out of his ass ASAP. Completely unacceptable performance so far this season given his role/cap hit.
Agreed x A Million on both of those points.

Malhotra is really fighting it, and bringing very little to the table at either end right now, or anywhere on the ice outside of the faceoff dot. Offensively, he was gifted 2 outstanding chances by Hodgson...and turned them into absolutely NOTHING, not even dangerous shots on goal. just nothing. outside of that, bobbling the puck around, wandering aimlessly, getting in the way, and just generally accomplishing next to nothing other than a few decent bits of puck retrieval work. Which would be essentially par for the course...except he's not really getting much done defensively either right now. The first goal was a clear example...standing around puck-watching. No good.

And Bieksa has just looked like he's real content with his nice shiny new deal and decided to take some time off to relax. A few flashes here and there, but you're right...it's looking like he's trending right back towards the bad Bieksa that we spent years trying to run out of town. Someone needs to give the guy a wakeup call...but i haven't the faintest idea who or how, when he's supposed to be one of the key 'leaders' on this team.

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 01:13 AM
Andre Boudrias

Send a message via MSN to Andre Boudrias

Last edited by Andre Boudrias: 10-26-2011 at 01:19 AM. Reason: delete me
Andre Boudrias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 01:16 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsedin View Post
Does anyone else feel that Hodgson would better suit the second line than Higgins? I wouldn't mind if they experiment with the American line a bit longer but I'd like to see Hodgson centering Keser and Booth... Hodgson has the playmaking ability that I feel none of those three have. With the exception of one game I've loved Hodgson's game..he's been trying to use his linemates and when that fails he starts to hold onto the puck and shoot more.

This would move Higgins to the third line and I feel that Higgins-Lappy can be a good pair to anchor that third line, this move essentially bumps Malhotra to the fourth line; Malhotra and Hansen could anchor the fourth line ..they already have some solid chemistry, and to be honest, they could use reduced ice time until they start playing to their potential.
I'm all for that.

You don't need an entire line full of super fast players to get odd man rushes. At this point, I'd say he's our team's best playmaker after the Sedins.

Trouble is, without Higgins on the 2nd line, they'd need someone capable of fighting for the puck on the boards. Hodgson is still poor on the boards, and I'm not sure how good Booth is there.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 01:17 AM
ProstheticConscience
Supertank 15/16

Quote:
We probably deserved a result out of that game. Owned territory, threw twice as many pucks at the net. Some sloppy defense, but that was basically a goaltending/Bieksa loss.

- Sedins are slumping and scoring all at once. Look terrible for long stretches but still generating most of our offense. Burrows is carrying the line with his effort level right now but needs to finish chances.

Burrow's timing looks totally shot right now. He's reminding me of Bernier sometimes with all the quality chances he's being fed and not burying. Willing to write it off to the traditional slow October. It continues into November? *mad face*

- Booth didn't look bad, didn't look good. Can't read much into this game. That line was pretty quiet for the most part ... Kesler still not fully up to speed.

I thought Booth had some really good moments. Had a few forechecking gems and a couple of almost-but-not-quite plays from behind the net. Loved his speed and willingness to get dirty, but the 2nd line is obviously a work in progress.

- Malhotra really struggling. Will have to be put on the 4th line if he can't work his game out by 15-20 games into the season. Just not driving the play defensive the way he has in the past. Hansen playing poorly as well, but in part he's being dragged down by Malhotra. Nice to see Hodgson score, best player on that line tonight by a mile.

Malhotra flat-out sucked tonight. Hansen showed fire, but that guy's got trash can lids for hands. Hodgson's wasted out of the top 6 imho.

- Lapierre and Weise continue to look excellent on the 4th line and can handle heavier minutes than they're getting.

Yup. 4th line was great again. I don't care how much heat Lappy gets, he's a hell of a good player in the bottom 6.

- I was giving Bieksa 10 games before getting too critical but I'm pulling the plug at 9. Another awful performance, now 1 point and a -7 through 9 games. This guy was pretty close to the worst regular defender in the league for 3.5 years before his miracle transformation in the last 50 games of last year, and right now he's playing as bad as he ever has. Same lazy, casual, soft crap play we've seen from him on a consistent basis in prior years. Needs to get his head out of his ass ASAP. Completely unacceptable performance so far this season given his role/cap hit.

Was worried about boom boom when he got his new contract. He seriously needs to get rid of Mr. Hyde and tune into Dr Jekyll ASAP. Being back with Hammer might help.

- Ballard isn't much better. Chicken with his head cut off in his own zone. This player is simply not a top-4 NHL defender and never will be again if he ever was.

The Bieksa/Ballard pairing was a disaster waiting to happen. C'mon, we all knew it. Really didn't help that AV was mixing up his d pairs all bloody night. I want Tanev back with Ballard when he's healthy again.

- Edler continues to struggle as the 1A PP point guy ... so much easier back there when you have a guy like Ehrhoff to feed off of and dictate the play. Needs to shorten his windup and just get shots on goal.

- Salo gets a gold star. Has been our best defender in at least 6 of the 9 games so far this season.

- Alberts ... bleh. He's an OK #7-8 defender, but watching him in the lineup every night is depressing.

^^^These 3? Bang on.

- am not going to get too far into the goaltending other than to say that tonight was the perfect picture of why there is a goaltending controversy here right now.

- Taylor Hall is a big talent, but my god what a whiny, spazzy, puke of a little baby. Was just moving from tantrum to tantrum (with a few dives in between) tonight. Is going to get a big-time reputation from the refs in a big hurry.

Was thinking the exact same thing myself. Took a hit from Edler, went and smashed his stick. Wah, wah. This guy's going to be the new diving, whining pansy queen of the NHL when people actually start watching the Oilers again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Vigneault severely out-coached MacRenney tonight.

Want to make the kid line disappear?

Double shift the Sedin's and presto, no Hall, Hopkins or Eberle.

Your team is still a far cut above ours. Suprised you didnt win tbh. Schneider is the ****.

The only problem your team has going forward is Luongo. I dont think the fans or the players have much confidence in him, and the way he is playing, it looks like he has even less confidence in himself.

With how good Schneider is playing, this presents a rather big problem. Not so much now, as you guys are still a lock to win the division imo, but come playoff time when its time for big boy hockey, you need to be firing on all cylinders, and Im not sure Luongo will have what it takes to get you where you want to go. He has all the physical skills, but his head is questionable.

Good luck going forward.
Thank you for being reasonable.

ProstheticConscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 01:19 AM
Kagee*

Without the Sedins we'd be winless by now, and we'd barely if not make the playoffs the past 5 seasons.

Nice ideal about Hodgson centering the 2nd line, however that won't happen for the time being imo.

I'm happy with CoHo on the 3rd, he just really needs Higgins to help him out, as Cody is the only person on the bottom 6 that has any consistent scoring capabilities.

And hell yeah I agree I miss Hoffer.
Just have to hope Juice and Edler pick it up soon, as it looks like Ballard has fallen out of favour once again with AV.

Kagee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 01:24 AM
BrinkOfGreatness*

Quote:
Canucks play one of their worst games and the Oilers hold on for dear life. Not surprised. And I'm sure they actually think that this is the start of something big but I dont see it.

Had this been the midseason Canucks, they'd score maybe 4 or 5 in the 3rd with the amount of chances the Oilers were giving up.

Like I said, nothing to really worry about. The team will work themselves out of this and this random Tuesday night loss will be an afterthought.

The good part of this is that the Canucks only have 1 game left in that terrible building. Bad lighting and bad ice. That place is an injury waiting to happen.

Edmonton needs a new building bad.
Council will be voting yes tomorrow morning for the new building.

Oilers were without #1 D and #1 RW

Out chanced van 19-15

Overall shots never tell whole story

BrinkOfGreatness* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 01:24 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
So we're making our decisions based on a few games at the beginning of a season from a notoriously slow starting team and ignoring that they were phenomenal nearly all of last season and playoffs?
Edler was struggling as well. Personally I didn't have a problem putting Edler with Hamhuis (Edler played his best with Ehrhoff but of course, that isn't an option anymore) - I have to wonder about putting Bieksa with Ballard though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
I don't get it to be honest. If Bieksa is struggling, why are they partnering him with the guy couldn't even stick in the lineup last season? Just trying to get his confidence and +/- completely in the toilet?
I'd reduce his minutes but you and I know that won't happen with AV.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 01:26 AM
Street Hawk

Quote:
No, because Schneider had not yet posted his 16 win season yet.

Now, Schneider has shown that he can get the job done, so there is now a legitimate option to turn to, rather than just hoping the new young backup can do the job.

Time for AV to have the stones to start Schneider for the next 2 games. The 1st and 3rd goals were a combination of good plays by the Oilers and some poor defensive zone coverage by the Nucks. Hodgson wasn't strong enough along the boards against Hall in that puck battle. Too much stick checking, not enough taking the body. 3rd goals, poor backchecking.

2nd goal, the killer, was totally on Luongo. He goes behind the net to stop the puck and comes back towards Hamhuis to get back into the net. So, how is Hammer supposed to retrieve the puck?

Give up a bad one like that, then you have to come up with a big save to keep it within 2 goals and he couldn't do it.

Schneider has also given up bad goals this year too. Had the wrap around against the Jackets, whiffed on a shot against the Wings, and the 1st one against Minny was one he would like another chance at. But, to Cory's credit, he is able to battle through and keep the team within striking distance, and they were able to come back and beat CBJ and Minny.

Street Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 01:27 AM
MS

Quote:
Having a mediocre .907 save % last year is completely different from having a ghastly .868 save % in October this year. He has never been anywhere close to this bad in an October before.

Toss in another playoff meltdown, the reality of his brutal contract sinking in, and the play of Schneider since that time and there you have it.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 01:27 AM
Christina Woloski
Registered Something

Quote:
The Panthers posters were bang on when they said he doesnt pass or look to pass. I didnt see one.
If you were Booth and on the Panthers... would you pass ? Is there anyone to pass to there?

Once he looks up and sees guys capable of finishing he'll pass it when it's right.

I personally was amazed at his speed. For a big guy, that's hellava pace.

Last edited by Christina Woloski: 10-26-2011 at 01:33 AM.
Christina Woloski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 01:32 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

I was going to say how starting Schneider will hurt Luongo's confidence.

But just listen to that nonsense. He's a 32 year old veteran, and if he can't get over something like that and his ego needs to be spoonfed with fluffy marshmallows... I think he'd just be a massive chunk of deadweight. I have nothing against Luongo's play, because all goalies have slumps, but if Schneider gets the nod and that hurts his game, I want him shipped out - even if he starts posting great numbers later on.

Old
10-26-2011, 01:33 AM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

Quote:
Having a mediocre .907 save % last year is completely different from having a ghastly .868 save % in October this year. He has never been anywhere close to this bad in an October before.

Toss in another playoff meltdown, the reality of his brutal contract sinking in, and the play of Schneider since that time and there you have it.
Almost every year Luongo had one terrible start other than that wasn't this bad. LY was against Minny - 6 goals on 18 shots (I remember that game as the one we were wondering why AV didn't pull him which he finally did to start the 3rd).

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 01:39 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
I was going to say how starting Schneider will hurt Luongo's confidence.

But just listen to that nonsense. He's a 32 year old veteran, and if he can't get over something like that and his ego needs to be spoonfed with fluffy marshmallows... I think he'd just be a massive chunk of deadweight. I have nothing against Luongo's play, because all goalies have slumps, but if Schneider gets the nod and that hurts his game, I want him shipped out - even if he starts posting great numbers later on.
This is part of the concern.

Luongos a good goaltender but the pattern Ive seen that worried me more than anything is *mental fragility*.

Lonny Bohonos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 01:46 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
This is part of the concern.

Luongos a good goaltender but the pattern Ive seen that worried me more than anything is *mental fragility*.
He needs to realize personnel decisions are result-oriented... But I have a hunch that's not a concept he understands, after being the #1 guy for so long. It's the same issue Allen Iverson had. Been a superstar, MVP calibre player since his playing days, but his ego can't adjust to reality.

Old
10-26-2011, 01:47 AM
opendoor

The team's defense is a mess. Some of that will sort itself out over time (hopefully), but there are still some lingering issues that rear their head even at the best of times. The Canucks have too many guys that simply panic in their own end when the chips are down, with Ballard and Bieksa being the two worst offenders. There's also a startling disconnect between coaching and management. If AV insists on playing Ballard 14:00 a night then fine, ship Ballard out on the next flight, no harm no foul. But you'd think after Gillis made a point of keeping him and jettisoning a top 4 defenseman that Ballard would actually get some ice time to get into a groove. Bieksa has been an unmitigated disaster so far this year and he was out there for almost 25 minutes. Alberts was laughably bad tonight from the get go, and even he managed to get nearly 17 minutes.

The fact that the Canucks are currently fully healthy in terms of their defense is actually pretty depressing. I'm used to this crap when 2 or 3 guys are missing, but that the fact that this is as good as it gets with this group is very concerning. This is not a cup caliber defense IMO, even if Bieksa can turn his game around to last year's level.

But I also think there's a bigger mental problem with this team. The biggest problem I've seen over the past few years is that the Canucks haven't demonstrated an ability to deal with adversity effectively. People around the league were apparently saying before last playoffs that Vancouver was impressive but they'll wait to see what happens when they hit some adversity and we saw the trainwreck that happened once they hit some rough patches. Everyone seems to pin that on Luongo, and maybe that's true, but the reality is that no one outside of the organization really knows if that's the case. If it is, then something needs to be done (you can't have a goalie who's lost the trust of his players), but I don't buy that it's that simple. That seems like far too convenient of an excuse for the putrid performances by some of the Canuck players in these situations. Whether it's coaching, goaltending, personnel, or whatever, I see it as the single biggest obstacle between the Canucks and the cup. When the chips are down they fold like cheap tents.

opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 01:55 AM
LiquidSnake*
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by the word View Post
Good game. You guys looked very dangerous in the third period and Schneider is the man.

Don't worry, things will turn around for the Canucks but I don't understand why Bieksa is a minus 9 on the season, Ballard a minus 7 and Malhotra a minus 5. Yikes...
Probably because they havent played well

and yes, I think everyone knows the Canucks will turn it around.

LiquidSnake* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BoHorvatFan

They also aren't very tough, at all. I'm all for having a team built around soft, skilled players and that's just fine but every team needs a little nasty and toughness on it. We need to replace Volpatti with somebody who can actually do the job he's here to do. Other than the Edler hit we played like a bunch of kittens out there tonight. Lets all sit around and watch Eager take 4 runs at our players and do nothing. It's really quite pathetic to watch this gentle team stand around complaining to the refs after the whistle.

BoHorvatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Would like to see the lines as follows:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Hodgson-Kesler
Higgins-Lapierre-Hansen
Volpatti-Malhotra-Wiese

10-26-2011, 01:56 AM
dsedin

It's amazing how Salo is emerging as the clear #1 D-man on this team right now...and to think, we signed the guy to a 2 mil ,low-risk 1 year deal...what a bargain. If not for injuries he has a few years left in him still.

Edler was a beast physically today, but you have to wonder if something's ailing him at this point? He's so much better than this.

Bieksa and Hamhuis need to be stapled together again..why ruin a good thing? They were our best shut down pairing last season; right now it seems as though every d-pairing is running around clueless in their own end at one point or another. Have one good pairing, and see what works with the other two and stick with it for a bit..the back end needs a bit more stability at this point.

dsedin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 01:57 AM
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan

Luongo's notorious slow Octobers are getting very repetitive, especially coming off a disappointing Cup run..high expectations this year.

EpochLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 01:57 AM
LiquidSnake*
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
The only problem your team has going forward is Luongo. I dont think the fans or the players have much confidence in him, and the way he is playing, it looks like he has even less confidence in himself.

With how good Schneider is playing, this presents a rather big problem. Not so much now, as you guys are still a lock to win the division imo, but come playoff time when its time for big boy hockey, you need to be firing on all cylinders, and Im not sure Luongo will have what it takes to get you where you want to go. He has all the physical skills, but his head is questionable.

Good luck going forward.
If all Oiler fans were like this guy, I'd love em all.

The funny thing is that the national media has really tried to rip the Canuck fanbase for being so critical with Luongo. Can you really blame the fanbase when the guy lets the team/paying fans down so much?

Old
10-26-2011, 01:58 AM
LiquidSnake*
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
he wasnt coming off a cup final collapse. it was a round 2 collapse.