HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tavares' wing

Old
10-26-2011, 02:43 PM
StrongIslanders90

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelovedIsles View Post
A guy like Jeff Skinner would be a great complement to JT, they both play similar cerebral games, around the puck; they both control the area between the dots and below. They showed a glimpse of their wizardry in the WCs.

Kyle Okposo's style, pre-injury also complements JT. His forechecking, board, and puck possession game would take the burden off of JT.

Right now JT has advanced above his line mates, it's apparent. PA isn't the proper puck mover, and Moulson isn't the proper board player. He needs players that will help him carry the puck into the zone, and also help him retrieve.
Hes pretty much an Elite player IMO....His decision making and playmaking ability is unreal.....

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 02:43 PM
redbull
game on

Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
ovi.
any one of Crosby, Ovechkin, Stamkos, Malkin - maybe the Sedins.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 04:47 PM
startainfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
any one of Crosby, Ovechkin, Stamkos, Malkin - maybe the Sedins.
if i had the choice of moving a center to wing it would be crosby, him and crosby would have chemistry that would make the sedins look like they are just any 2 random line mates

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 07:48 PM
seafoam

vCash: 50
The more I think about it, the more I feel bad for JT and anger towards management. JT has done everything he could do for this organization (Which most 1st Overalls wouldn't have done) and we pay him back by surrounding him with garbage. No offense to Moulson or Parenteau but we need to help JT as he helps us by getting elite linemates. Did Stamkos pop 50 playing with Nate Thompson and Bergie!?

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 09:45 PM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
^What good are draft picks if you can't maximize their development, in this regard I have not been happy with management's attempt to develop said players. An important piece of any successful rebuild is the development of prospects into the best NHL players they can be. How can an organization affect that? By providing the best conditions and environments for the prospects/young NHL'ers to flourish.

Always felt Okposo needed at least one full year in the AHL to develop his raw skills, he never got that.

Always felt (like most NYI fans) Bailey needed at least another full year with Windsor, WJCs etc.

Still feel Martin needs another full year in AHL to sharpen skills.

Hammer could have used one full year at the AHL.

JT was not and has not been surrounded with veteran talent to ease his transition ON the ice. He wasn't going back to Juniors, Weight was a swell landlord and leader off the ice, but not much else.

Nino should have another year with Portland to sharpen his skills, hope I do not have to add him to this list.

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 07:02 AM
gogensgo

I'd put a banger on his line. He was most effective in Oshawa when Cal Clutterbuck was on his line. JT's strength's shine through when he has some time and space and a banger like Clutterbuck struck fear in players which created space for JT to do his thing. While his skating has improved, if you put him on a line with players who are similar, they will lose the physical battle at this level and he also will be a bit of a step behind if his wingers are faster which they will probably always be.

gogensgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 08:34 AM
Bauer Warrior*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaStromey View Post
The more I think about it, the more I feel bad for JT and anger towards management. JT has done everything he could do for this organization (Which most 1st Overalls wouldn't have done) and we pay him back by surrounding him with garbage. No offense to Moulson or Parenteau but we need to help JT as he helps us by getting elite linemates. Did Stamkos pop 50 playing with Nate Thompson and Bergie!?
That's why the Tavares vs. Stamkos and the Tavares Vs. Duchene argument doesn't hold water. Matt Duchene is a good player, but he's extremely emotional, and he would have been a disaster for this team. Peter McNab said yesterday in the post game, "When Matt Duchene is on an emotional high, he's great. But when he's low, he's way low and gets very hard on himself." - Yeah, that pick would not have worked out. Tavares has been a complete man about this. I really have the utmost respect for him, and I think he's a better hockey player than Stamkos. He's not a better skater, but he's a better hockey player. The quality of a player is not always on the stat sheet.

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 10:47 PM
Bill Omie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
PA and Moulson.

Why? Because that line works....so why break up the only line tha works? To gamble and have four broken lines?

Grabner and Comeau on Nielson's line gives defense, speed and puck possession.

Bailey and Okposo with Martin gives a hard charging line with energy and decent passing (good if Bailey gets his head out of his tucchus).

Pandolfo, Reasoner and Rolston gives defense and not much else, but they are vets and play smarter hockey.

Worth a try, I say. I do not break up the one line that has worked, though. If all three of Moulson, PA and JT were independantly successful, I might try to lend one to a shift to jumpstart a line, but, no, we can't screw up what little offense we have.

Thanks for being cheap, Chuck! (nice sell-out on the Pens rematch, BTW, you buffoon of an inept owner!)

Hope we make the cap floor next year.

Time to (re)hire Bill Torrey as Team President to hire/fire all staff. It'd be nice to have EVERYONE accountable for their performance.
The line absolutely does not work. Tavares carries the line. The only time they ever score is if JT scores himself, or makes a brilliant pass which has to be right on the stick of his AHL buddies. Moulson does nothing of value except deflect a few pucks and clean up the garbage rebounds. Take him off Tavares' wing and he's barely an NHLer. Parenteau has a very slim amount of offensive skill. He skates well, but makes more unforced errors than any professional hockey player I've ever seen. He is a turnover machine, and most of his 8 assists this year are secondary assists. Snow is severely hampering JT by supplying him only with these two jokers as his linemates. I know you people are going to argue, "well, Moulson has 30 goals his last two seasons". If you put skates on and stand in front of the net on Tavares' line, you might score 30. If you really believe that Matt Moulson or PA Parenteau are good hockey players, you're out of you're mind.

Bill Omie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 10:59 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogensgo View Post
I'd put a banger on his line. He was most effective in Oshawa when Cal Clutterbuck was on his line. JT's strength's shine through when he has some time and space and a banger like Clutterbuck struck fear in players which created space for JT to do his thing. While his skating has improved, if you put him on a line with players who are similar, they will lose the physical battle at this level and he also will be a bit of a step behind if his wingers are faster which they will probably always be.
I would love CC.....So why not through Martin up there....

Martin-Tavares-Okposo????

And any updates on NINO???? whats up with this kid....?

Old
10-29-2011, 11:00 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Omie View Post
The line absolutely does not work. Tavares carries the line. The only time they ever score is if JT scores himself, or makes a brilliant pass which has to be right on the stick of his AHL buddies. Moulson does nothing of value except deflect a few pucks and clean up the garbage rebounds. Take him off Tavares' wing and he's barely an NHLer. Parenteau has a very slim amount of offensive skill. He skates well, but makes more unforced errors than any professional hockey player I've ever seen. He is a turnover machine, and most of his 8 assists this year are secondary assists. Snow is severely hampering JT by supplying him only with these two jokers as his linemates. I know you people are going to argue, "well, Moulson has 30 goals his last two seasons". If you put skates on and stand in front of the net on Tavares' line, you might score 30. If you really believe that Matt Moulson or PA Parenteau are good hockey players, you're out of you're mind.
This

Old
10-29-2011, 11:24 PM
WangMustGo
NYI

Perry, Parise, Ryan, St. Louis, Iginla

Players that are extremely talented, can pass and score equally just like Tavares, and all of them are great in the corners and cycling in the zone.

WangMustGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 11:47 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
if i had the choice of moving a center to wing it would be crosby, him and crosby would have chemistry that would make the sedins look like they are just any 2 random line mates
If Tavares and Crosby played on the same line it would not be Crosby that would have to move to wing. Though I agree that it'd be a simply evil matchup, hopefully will get to see it happen at the Olympics before too long

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 11:52 PM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

Jordan Eberle.

See; World Juniors connection.

Marlo Stanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 04:00 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Omie View Post
Yeah, what do I know.

Name two forwards on the roster who would do better and do, please, tell me what skillsets and mannerisms they show out there make them more well suited to play with Tavares than Moulson who is there for the set play or PA who hustles and cycles (but has in the past sucked with the pass and has since improved).

Grabner? Nino? Who?

But hey, you know better than me. Just PLEASE explain. In detail. Don't skip anything.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 04:02 AM
OlTimeHockey

And the "put anyone out there and they score 30" line is precious, BTW.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 07:35 AM
majormet

Without giving players up in this fantasy premise, it would be Rick Nash. I doubt we could call Columbus up to get him, but he would be ideal for JT, also I would say Jarome Iginla.

majormet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 07:56 AM
islandersfreak21

On the team? Grabner, I would love to see JT play with Grabner. Off the team? Rick Nash.

islandersfreak21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 09:03 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Without needing to pick on Moulson and Parenteau, who are what they are and bring some things to the table, the Tavares we're seeing now is so good that if he even had some Franzen types on his wings, it could be a dominating line!

Personally, I am very much hoping that we have some real luck in the prospect department and that namely Petrov finds his game throughout this winter and then comes over to be the power forward we are severely lacking. From what we've seen when he's been in North America and healthy, his game seems like it's made for these rinks and this style.

Throw in some energy dudes like Cizikas and more power elements in Lee and Nelson, and we could seeing some good things in the years to come.

But for now, we just gotta see what happens from within and how Snow goes about dealing with situations.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 03:37 AM
Bill Omie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Yeah, what do I know.

Name two forwards on the roster who would do better and do, please, tell me what skillsets and mannerisms they show out there make them more well suited to play with Tavares than Moulson who is there for the set play or PA who hustles and cycles (but has in the past sucked with the pass and has since improved).

Grabner? Nino? Who?

But hey, you know better than me. Just PLEASE explain. In detail. Don't skip anything.
I explained plenty in that post as to why it doesn't work. You said it works. I'm telling you that it doesn't. PA and Moulson have no business on an NHL first line. The only reason the line has ANY success is that Tavares has all world skill, and can single-handedly create scoring chances.

Long term it will be Nino and Strome. It's why they were drafted.

Bill Omie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 10:26 AM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

This is why I liked the Strome pick, it's good to know that there is someone else in the system or looking forward that can provide 70+ points.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 10:28 AM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormet View Post
Without giving players up in this fantasy premise, it would be Rick Nash. I doubt we could call Columbus up to get him, but he would be ideal for JT, also I would say Jarome Iginla.
Jarome would be no good. It wouldn't be worth the price for a team not contending. A team like Boston would be right in acquiring him. They could use his skills and off ice qualities.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote