Notices

Defensive depth

Closed Thread

Old
09-03-2004, 01:07 AM
chriss_co

vCash: 500
Defensive depth

Trading away Gauthier brings another question about our team.. our defensive depth.. i know this has kinda been discussed about.. we do have 8 bonafide defencemen not including phaneuf which probably means commodore sent to the minors

the thing is after commodore who do we have that we can bring up in case of injury? i dont think brennan evans can do the job on a regular basis in the regular season and we can't strain our top 4 defencemen with increased icetime in the regular season like we did in the playoffs cuz they will run out of gas

is sutter thinking of acquiring depth defencemen? you know, guys that you know will be in the minors but if their is an injury bug, that guy can step up and play solidly as the 6th defencemen

several years ago we acquired dallas eakins for that role... i'm thinking thats the type of player we are missing in our system.. that steady depth guy

Old
09-03-2004, 04:27 AM
Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriss_co
Trading away Gauthier brings another question about our team.. our defensive depth.. i know this has kinda been discussed about.. we do have 8 bonafide defencemen not including phaneuf which probably means commodore sent to the minors

the thing is after commodore who do we have that we can bring up in case of injury? i dont think brennan evans can do the job on a regular basis in the regular season and we can't strain our top 4 defencemen with increased icetime in the regular season like we did in the playoffs cuz they will run out of gas

is sutter thinking of acquiring depth defencemen? you know, guys that you know will be in the minors but if their is an injury bug, that guy can step up and play solidly as the 6th defencemen

several years ago we acquired dallas eakins for that role... i'm thinking thats the type of player we are missing in our system.. that steady depth guy
I was just about to ask a question similar to this one... It looks as if Montador/Commodore will fight it out for the last spot from an outside observer. Is this true? If so, who does everyone think will end up seeing more games next season.

Old
09-03-2004, 05:08 AM
calgarylen13

IMO Montador is a much better D-man than Commodore, and he will take the final defensive position. Much of it depends though on whether thye want a Gauthier play-a-like to take his position, if so Commodore will get more time. But Montador is the better player of the two, without a doubt!

Old
09-03-2004, 10:42 AM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriss_co
we do have 8 bonafide defencemen not including phaneuf which probably means commodore sent to the minors

If we send Commodore down to the minors we'll lose him on waivers. Can't see that happening. Phaneuf likely plays in the WHL this year as the NHL won't start on time.

Evans is likely the first callup although I have been quite impressed with Mark Giordano and Richie Regehr isn't a horrible option either. Both are first year pros though so some time in Lowell would be good for them. Not sure a Dallas Eakins is that much better of an option than a Brennan Evans. Have you watched a lot of Evans? How are you so convinced that he'd look out of place?

Is Sutter looking at a depth defensemen? I highly doubt he'd waste one of our few Lowell spots on a "veteran" defensemen, chances are we use those spots to develop legitimate prospects and younger players.

Old
09-03-2004, 10:43 AM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie
I was just about to ask a question similar to this one... It looks as if Montador/Commodore will fight it out for the last spot from an outside observer. Is this true? If so, who does everyone think will end up seeing more games next season.
I think Montador is a little further along in his development but that Commodore has the higher upside. Pretty hard to predict but I'd suspect Montador would see more time earlier in the season and Commodore as he continues to improve would likely pass him on the depth chart later in the year.

Old
09-04-2004, 11:31 AM
Ozy_Flame

If I'm not mistaken, Commodore's new contract is one-way. That says alot about his chances playing full-time with Calgary. I'm not sure what Montador's contract is, but I assume it's probably one-way as well. If not, then Commodore has the more likely chance of being the 6th dman. If it is, then we'll just have a good 7th blueliner if need be.

Old
09-04-2004, 03:39 PM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame
If I'm not mistaken, Commodore's new contract is one-way. That says alot about his chances playing full-time with Calgary. I'm not sure what Montador's contract is, but I assume it's probably one-way as well. If not, then Commodore has the more likely chance of being the 6th dman. If it is, then we'll just have a good 7th blueliner if need be.
As far as I can remember, Commodore was shuttled to the AHL last year simply because he was on a two way contract and Montador wasn't.

Now, that said, I think Montador's game grew significantly last season, and he really showed it in the playoffs. To me, Montador strongly outplayed Commodore in the playoffs.

Now, when the battle comes, we're at an interesting situation to see who wants that last position more.

Old
09-04-2004, 05:00 PM
Kritty

I haven't seen much of Giordano at all. A little at the junior level and that's it. Can any shed some light on how he's looked, what sort of future you see, etc.

Old
09-04-2004, 09:24 PM
Go Flames Go*

Im not sold on Commodore, I think he could be a lot better for his size, and he very slow which causes him to take bad penalties.

I don't think we can ever have enough depth on defence, but we are pretty strong. A very young, tough, and offensive defence system.

I think we could use a another big, puck moving defender, because Tony Lydman dosent seem to be worth what we pay him to be.

Closed Thread