Notices

Jets Goaltending Situation

Old
10-26-2011, 04:41 AM
RECsGuy*

vCash: 500
Jets Goaltending Situation

Let Pavelec (RFA) walk?

Take a goaltender early in the '12 draft?

Offer-Sheet Rask, Schneider and/or Dubnyk?

Try your luck with Harding (UFA)?

Trade for Giguere? Perhaps make a bigger trade that will require more assets (Bobrovsky, Neuvirth, Bernier)?

RECsGuy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 04:47 AM
spicy

ha ha ha ha

none of those options are better than what we have now. Stick with Pavelec/Mason. Our d is still getting sorted out. You cant lay a loss directly on a goalie right now, regardless of what Canucks fans will tell you.

We are still working with the D, which will in turn help out both Mason, and Pavs. Both of them have had some good periods, as well as some bad ones this season.

spicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 05:05 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 216
Pavs is it
Nothing more nothing less

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 05:17 AM
Romang67
BitterSwede

I don't really see the point...

Romang67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 05:37 AM
teucer

I'd take Schneider if it didn't cost us much plus he has moose ties. But I wouldn't want to get rid of Pavs. I know Mason has been doing good as of late but not sure how long that will last. But we do need one of our goalies to be consistent on a daily basis. I don't mind the close games but the blowouts need to go.

teucer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 06:37 AM
Inflict
Viking

I don't see trading Pavelec unless it was for a proven top 10 goaltender or a top goaltending prospect like Schneider/Bernier/Rask. Under no other circumstances should we trade away Pavelec. We are stuck with Mason until the end of his contract, for better or for worse.

Its not time to panic about the goaltending situation. All of the team is still adjusting to the new atmosphere and coaching staff. If Pavelec tanks both this season and next, then I would be worried.

On the prospect side of things, things are not looking up. I think we should draft a goaltender in the 1st or 2nd round this upcoming draft.

Inflict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 06:50 AM
3rdManIn
Put'n on the foil!

Pavs looks the same to me this season,but Mason is making me eat my words here lately.

Let's see what pans out then panick if need be.

3rdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 07:29 AM
Prot

Hey I hear after last night there's a lot of talk about Luongo!

(Just kidding... the last thing we need is another 'Essensa contract' for Jets 2.0. )

Prot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 07:33 AM
jetswin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RECsGuy View Post
Let Pavelec (RFA) walk?

Trade for Giguere? Perhaps make a bigger trade that will require more assets (Bobrovsky, Neuvirth, Bernier)?
Goaltending is not the problem. Goal support on the other hand has been brutal.

jetswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 08:38 AM
jamiebez

Yeah, this is the least of our problems. I like Pavelec, and I have faith he'll continue to improve. Not a guy to walk away from.

I will say this though: goalies are cheap these days. If we can improve on Mason (who's a UFA after this year) and get someone who could maybe push Pavelec, I'd be all for that. No such thing as too many goalies.

jamiebez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 09:26 AM
Huffer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Let Pavelec (RFA) walk?

Overreact much?

Pavlec is the #1 and goalie of the future. End of story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inflict View Post
I don't see trading Pavelec unless it was for a proven top 10 goaltender or a top goaltending prospect like Schneider/Bernier/Rask. Under no other circumstances should we trade away Pavelec. We are stuck with Mason until the end of his contract, for better or for worse.

Its not time to panic about the goaltending situation. All of the team is still adjusting to the new atmosphere and coaching staff. If Pavelec tanks both this season and next, then I would be worried.

On the prospect side of things, things are not looking up. I think we should draft a goaltender in the 1st or 2nd round this upcoming draft.
For sure we are not drafting a goalie in the 1st or 2nd considering we are most likely getting a top 10 and a corresponding pick between 31 and 41. I don't see us taking a goalie in the 3rd either considering everyone is saying this is a deep draft and we have needs up front. We don't have a 4th, but maybe from round 5 on we could look for one.

I'm not worried about it as I believe that Pavlec is our goalie of the future (and now).

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 09:57 AM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 0
Goalies take so much longer to develop and often don't pan out. It seems to be a trend over the last decade that teams are less willing to take goalies in the first round. Elite talents like Price, Ward and Fleury are the exceptions and even then they took several years to establish themselves in the NHL. With most goalies being pretty streaky and an abundance of decent goalies going to free agency, teams can get away with having two decent goalies rather than one star, and not drafting goalies in the first round. An interesting article on drafting goalies

So I think we shouldn't waste a high pick on a goalie. I also don't think it's necessary to worry about goaltending at this point. Both goalies have been decent. While neither have stolen any games for us, neither have cost us any games. I think the Jets have bigger holes to fill at every other position before worrying about goaltending.

vBurmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 10:11 AM
Gm0ney
Way down in the hole

We should get Khabibulin back! Just kidding - though he is playing lights-out for the Oilers right now...

I think we can wait a bit before panicking about our goaltending. It would be nice to snap up a guy like Schneider - but he's probably going to be Vancouver's starter if things keep going badly for Luongo.

Gm0ney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 10:16 AM
Lazyking
Never Forget

I'm content with Pavs but not sold on him... He's young, but seems slow to me and gets out of control often from what I've seen. Mason is old for Goalies and will likely be replaced next year. If Jets had someone in their system then I'd say possibly look to deal Pavs but I don't think they do... And we don't likely have enough chips to get a high end goalie imo.

Lets hope Pavs can turn into that, cause otherwise, may be stuck.

Lazyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 10:30 AM
Prot

I'm thinking of an 'old' goalie right now.... an ex Jet as a matter of fact.

He seems to be doing ok.

Prot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 11:06 AM
Lazyking
Never Forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
I'm thinking of an 'old' goalie right now.... an ex Jet as a matter of fact.

He seems to be doing ok.

I don't really mean it in a bad way really but it's hard to think long term the older the goalie is... And I don't believe that Mason is the guy... I want someone who we can count on for at least five years..

Lazyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 11:39 AM
PostmanPat1919

Pavelec is our No. 1, for now and for the future.

[/thread]

PostmanPat1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 11:51 AM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

As many have said, Pavelec is our goalie now and the future. However, Mason is UFA at the end of the season, and will likely be let go. At that point, if I am the Jets, I am not bringing in a Hedberg/Garon/Conklin type, IMO. Bring in a Josh Harding/Braden Holtby type of guy that will be looking to press for the starters spot at every opportunity. Right now we have no choice but to ride Pavelec, I would like to have a backup that constantly pushes the starter, ala Quick/Bernier in LA, Luongo/Schneider in VAN, Thomas/Rask in BOS etc. At least for now as as we've seen Pavelec is very good but not quite ready to be the one and only guy, IMO.

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 12:02 PM
Winnipeg Jets
Lucky #7

vCash: 1125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
As many have said, Pavelec is our goalie now and the future. However, Mason is UFA at the end of the season, and will likely be let go. At that point, if I am the Jets, I am not bringing in a Hedberg/Garon/Conklin type, IMO. Bring in a Josh Harding/Braden Holtby type of guy that will be looking to press for the starters spot at every opportunity. Right now we have no choice but to ride Pavelec, I would like to have a backup that constantly pushes the starter, ala Quick/Bernier in LA, Luongo/Schneider in VAN, Thomas/Rask in BOS etc. At least for now as as we've seen Pavelec is very good but not quite ready to be the one and only guy, IMO.
You don't really stumble into situations like those teams have. Right now I think the team has greater issues to address than having two potential #1s on the roster.

Winnipeg Jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 12:49 PM
Wpg Jets

Send a message via Yahoo to Wpg Jets
i have been thinking about this since the preseason but now might be the time. Call Boston Now while they are struggling and grab Rask! Thomas is playing great and they don't need the headache next summer offer tham something like mason and little and apick and grab tuukka! he is a gamer and young we can build around him if they really push change mason to pavs and take the pick out. for thos e who will say pavs and rask are the same , you just have not watched enough hockey . Rask is way ahead of pavs and has been on a winning team.

Wpg Jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 12:52 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 145
Uhm... Whats wrong with Pavelec? Everyone is so reactionary, he's a young goalie on a young team. He's not going to be the reason if we don't make the playoffs.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 12:53 PM
Jet
BrYahn Liiiitulll

vCash: 50
I'm sorry, I'm not getting the point of this thread.

How many losses so far this year could we pin on our goalies?

Pavelec is our guy now and in the future. Our backup is a minor detail you address in the offseason. There are always a glut of them kicking around.

10-26-2011, 12:53 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Quote:
Let Pavelec (RFA) walk?

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 12:54 PM
atl thrasher344
Believe in Blueland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg Jets View Post
i have been thinking about this since the preseason but now might be the time. Call Boston Now while they are struggling and grab Rask! Thomas is playing great and they don't need the headache next summer offer tham something like mason and little and apick and grab tuukka! he is a gamer and young we can build around him if they really push change mason to pavs and take the pick out. for thos e who will say pavs and rask are the same , you just have not watched enough hockey . Rask is way ahead of pavs and has been on a winning team.
It will take more than that. Boston isn't going to trade Rask. Who do you think would take over for Thomas when he's done?

It probably would be Pavelec, Little, a pick + more for Rask, which I wouldn't want to do.

atl thrasher344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 12:54 PM
Wpg Jets

Send a message via Yahoo to Wpg Jets
i like that he battles but seriously am i the only one that sees huge holes in his game? he overacts to plays way too much and is on his back too often so unless his name is thomas or hasek i want a more postionally sound keeper.

Wpg Jets is offline   Reply With Quote