Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jets Goaltending Situation

Old
10-28-2011, 12:09 AM
Lazyking
Never Forget

vCash: 500
Okay, I'm not saying pavs is playing well but talk of trading for a goalie during the season is quite ridiclous don't ya think?

Lazyking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 12:15 AM
Martin21

Coming from someone who has played goal. All the talk about wanting new goalies etc. is ridiculous. Yeah Pavelec didn't have his strongest game and he would be the first person to say he wasn't happy with his outing. But hockey is a team sport. Everyone is quick to point the finger at the goalies and nobody brings up something that happened in the far end by a forward or Dman (ex. Ladd's giveaway) So relax on the goalies. They'll be just fine.

Martin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 12:16 AM
blues10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
Okay, I'm not saying pavs is playing well but talk of trading for a goalie during the season is quite ridiclous don't ya think?
Crazy for sure but TNSE has seen a lot of Lack and Schneider and if either fits their future plans they may pull the trigger. Whoever gets Schneider will have a franchise goalie.

Perhaps our goalie of the future is Pavs, perhaps he is not. Only the Jets brass knows what direction they want to head between the pipes.

I predict status quo, unless something becomes available that is too good to pass up.

blues10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 12:38 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

I still think Pavelec will be a very good goalie, but if he continues to struggle, I wouldn't be against signing Pekka Rinne to a 5-6 million/year contract and have him and Pavelec split the starts from here on out.

That said, I think Pavelec will bounce back and regain his form.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 12:48 AM
PostmanPat1919

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues10 View Post
Crazy for sure but TNSE has seen a lot of Lack and Schneider and if either fits their future plans they may pull the trigger. Whoever gets Schneider will have a franchise goalie.

Perhaps our goalie of the future is Pavs, perhaps he is not. Only the Jets brass knows what direction they want to head between the pipes.

I predict status quo, unless something becomes available that is too good to pass up.
Why suddenly say this after you've been trashing Pavelec for several posts? You seem to have already made up your mind on this matter.

Winnipeg isn't trading for Lack or Schneider, not happening in a million years.

PostmanPat1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 05:52 AM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
Pavs needs the figure it out we need ya big guy

bigplay41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 08:06 AM
Huffer

All the Schneider and Lack talk is ridiculous. Wow, Lack played well in one season for an AHL team, whoopie! Didn't Pavlec win the AHL championship in 2007-2008? Oh yeah, but he is not as good as Moose hero Eddie Lack.

Never mind the fact that Pavlec was on the cusp of becoming one of the better goalies in the league last year, and was a rock in the World Campionships for the Czech Rep (8 games, 1.88 GPA, .939 Sv%).

But no, you guys must be right. Eddie Lack, a guy who has had one good AHL season is way better and more established than that.

And now people think it's a good idea to trade for Schneider? So let's see, a Jets organization that is already thin for top end talent up front, could use some improvement on D, and has little organizational depth in regards to prospects, should trade away some of our already thin assets to acquire a goalie, when we already have a 24 year old, AHL winner, World Championship caliber, potential upper echelon #1 because he's had a bad start to the season?

Great Asset Management.

Huffer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 08:27 AM
Vapour Trails

I think it was the 5 or 6th goal against, Pavelec makes the save with his shoulder, somewhat out of the net, and then pauses, almost stunned for a half second, and then Philly flips in the juicy rebound.

He just seems frantic in net, and he gets out of position.

Right now I have a ton more confidence in Mason, like 10 times more. Pavelec's stats are pretty much the worst of any NHL starter. As far as I'm concerned he's played one good game, against the Pens.

Vapour Trails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 08:30 AM
razorsedge
West Town Sports

Better chance at getting luongo befoe schneider.

razorsedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 09:31 AM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 1165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapour Trails View Post
I think it was the 5 or 6th goal against, Pavelec makes the save with his shoulder, somewhat out of the net, and then pauses, almost stunned for a half second, and then Philly flips in the juicy rebound.

He just seems frantic in net, and he gets out of position.

Right now I have a ton more confidence in Mason, like 10 times more. Pavelec's stats are pretty much the worst of any NHL starter. As far as I'm concerned he's played one good game, against the Pens.
I think it was actually the 7th or 8th goal. Moot point but I know which one you're talking about. He thought he had the puck, but he clearly didn't. It wasn't that he was stunned or anything. He just didn't realize he had given up a rebound, well, if you can call that one a rebound.

BigTuna49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 02:52 PM
hockey-brent

Kane for Schneider.

I don't think I have much (or any) real confidence in any of our goaltenders...

hockey-brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 03:09 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 574
I'm not sure how getting Corey Scheinder will help our defence...

cheswick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 03:13 PM
Jet
Drop the danged puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey-brent View Post
Kane for Schneider.

No thanks. If we are giving up a 'top 6' forward, we have to get one back. We are simply too thin in that department.

Pavelec has been less than confidence instilling so far this year, but he will turn it around, and a defence that plays like it has an idea of what to do in thier own zone will really help. You could put Roy in his prime in our net right now and we'd still get scored on at will.

10-28-2011, 03:33 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Kane for Schneider.

We should probably also trade away Burmistrov for a bag of pucks while we are at it as well.

Huffer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 03:45 PM
PostmanPat1919

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
We should probably also trade away Burmistrov for a bag of pucks while we are at it as well.
Sure why not. After all it's been 9 games and that's definitely enough time to make major decisions regarding the structure of the team.

PostmanPat1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 03:48 PM
Hammer Slammer

Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
Let's just wait a while and see how things go.

I'm hoping for a low-scoring affair tomorrow so we can get off our goalies' case.

10-28-2011, 04:03 PM
tbcwpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke49 View Post
I think it was actually the 7th or 8th goal. Moot point but I know which one you're talking about. He thought he had the puck, but he clearly didn't. It wasn't that he was stunned or anything. He just didn't realize he had given up a rebound, well, if you can call that one a rebound.
It was actually a decent play by Read to grab the puck out of the air and drop it to the ice, then put it in. I don't actually fault Pavelec too much there except for losing track of the puck.

tbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 04:15 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 1165
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbcwpg View Post
It was actually a decent play by Read to grab the puck out of the air and drop it to the ice, then put it in. I don't actually fault Pavelec too much there except for losing track of the puck.
Yep. Good play by Read, but bad play by our D letting him beat them to the puck.

BigTuna49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 04:55 PM
blues10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostmanPat1919 View Post
Why suddenly say this after you've been trashing Pavelec for several posts? You seem to have already made up your mind on this matter.

Winnipeg isn't trading for Lack or Schneider, not happening in a million years.

Here is what I said

Yikes, if that is trash talking.

Quote:
The rebound control was terrible as others have stated. He really needs to work on that or he will experience little success at this level. He was no worse than Bryz or Boborovsky tonight. Flaherty has some work to do with Pavs.

Who was the goalie coach last season?

I would like to see the Jets go after Schneider or Lack. Schneider will win a cup in this league and it would be great if it were for the Jets.

For this season the status quo may have to do and Pavs wil have to fight through his slump.

Quote:
x2 - Schenider is a bona fide NHL'er and Lack is knocking on the door in an organization very deep between the pipes. I wouldn't be surprised to see TNSE take a run at one of these guys via trade this season.

I hear Desjardins is available.

blues10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 05:08 PM
Ziggy66

Pavelec is alright. He is struggling in rebound control and second/third shots but that is expected when he has a defence in front of him which is still trying to find themselves.

That being said so far in his career has been a hovering around an average of 3.00 GAA in his pro career (QJMHL, AHL, NHL). He may show improvement in the next two or three years as he matures and the team forms in front of him. I would not be adverse to losing Mason after this year and signing or acquiring a backup or even possible starter.

Ziggy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 05:10 PM
Ziggy66

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
I'm not sure how getting Corey Scheinder will help our defence...
He will be our defence!!! lol. jk but he is a great up coming goalie.

Ziggy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 05:17 PM
Tintin's Ghost

The way people are under-rating Pavelec is borderline ignorant. To have a 24 yr old goalie be the starter, able to play so many games and have the potential he does is very very rare in the NHL. I recall reading articles posted by Illegal Curve back in TC when the other players were talking about how they liked playing in front of Pavelec and felt he was a star in the making.

Seriously, 9-8 games are a statistical anomaly. I hope that those of you calling for Pavelec to be traded, not re-signed etc, have absolutely NOTHING to do with the Canadian stock market...If you make a long term decision based on one statistical aberration then you are..misinformed, very misinformed...is the nicest way to put it.

Tintin's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 05:32 PM
jetswin

I like Pavlec, he really struggled with finding the puck early last night and it did result in lots of pucks hitting and big rebounds. That said we are brutal clearing the crease/slot to help our goalies. Seems to be a bid defensive focus on "batting" pucks out of the crease, problem is we are missing the puck and leaving the man wide open. I'd rather see a few more penalties for being hard on forwards in front then letting them have the easy pass.

Also think both tenders could also block the pass out a bit more but with the far side left uncovered by the D the goalie cheats a bit to get an advantage for the pad save coming across and is getting caught resulting in easy goals.

He will come around, he is a good young talent. Nothing makes a guy focus more on rebound control then getting badly burned. Having forwards get in the lane a bit more will result in less shots being teed up as well.

My thoughts.

jetswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 12:14 PM
Seanahue

Quote:
Kane for Schneider.

Please tell me you are kidding.

Seanahue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 12:26 PM
Crazed Fan

Trade for Giguere.... omg that is an absolutely horrible idea.

I dont know if youve been watching the same Pavelec I have.

Jets D have left him high and dry a lot. Yup, there have been some bad bounces. A lot of goals scored on him have been Goal Scorers Goals. Like Pavelec had the angle down, and the sniper put it in the only spot it could possibly go.
What I have seen consistently is a lot of huge saves. His record does not reflect his play IMO.

Crazed Fan is offline   Reply With Quote