HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lightning Goaltending Situation

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-26-2011, 05:51 AM
  #1
RECsGuy*
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,478
vCash: 500
Lightning Goaltending Situation

Pursue Nabokov (UFA) this summer?

Stick it out with Tokarski?

Take a goaltender early in the '12 draft?

Offer-Sheet Rask, Schneider and/or Dubnyk?

Try your luck with Harding (UFA)?

Trade for Giguere? Perhaps make a bigger trade that will require more assets (Bobrovsky, Neuvirth, Bernier)?

RECsGuy* is offline  
Old
10-26-2011, 07:41 AM
  #2
Follower of Yzlam
#FreeDrouin
 
Follower of Yzlam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 13,479
vCash: 134
It's very possible we could pursue someone mid-season, as well as a defender. We are pretty deep in forwards, and I think we have an extra 3rd rounder this year, so I wouldn't be against a move for either of those, or both, as long as it doesn't gut us offensively.

Follower of Yzlam is offline  
Old
10-26-2011, 07:44 AM
  #3
chasespace
Registered User
 
chasespace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Williston, FL
Posts: 4,604
vCash: 500
I'd be fine with sticking with Garon and Roloson this year(if Garon continues playing like he has and Roloson rebounds) and then rolling with Garon and Tokarski next season.

chasespace is offline  
Old
10-26-2011, 08:04 AM
  #4
LightningStrikes
Moderator
Klutcherov
 
LightningStrikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 12,843
vCash: 500
Pekka Rinne.

LightningStrikes is online now  
Old
10-26-2011, 08:21 AM
  #5
Felonious Python
Moderator
Purple Squirrel
 
Felonious Python's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Hot Seat
Posts: 13,835
vCash: 500
There's still a lot of games to be played. Right now, we've got Roloson and Garon, and that's fine.

We'd all like Roloson to be playing better, but Garon is holding down the fort well enough to string together a few wins. No need to panic.

As for the options suggested in the OP, we won't draft a goalie for immediate usage, or send an offer sheet to an RFA. Nabokov also doesn't seem too promising, as he can't beat out Al Montoya for the starter role, and there's the fact that he initially didn't report when he was first claimed.

If we do need to pursue a UFA goalie this offseason, Rinne, Vokoun, Niittymaki, (and McElhinney ) become available, but discussion over that is still too far off, IMO.

If we badly just need anyone in goal this instant, Manny Legace is sort of farting around right now, and SFY knows him from Detroit.


Last edited by Felonious Python: 10-26-2011 at 08:40 AM.
Felonious Python is offline  
Old
10-26-2011, 08:43 AM
  #6
Bolto
?
 
Bolto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Spring Hill, FL
Posts: 262
vCash: 500
For the long term, if we could somehow pick up Rinne when he becomes a UFA, that would be the best option. I agree though that for now Roly and Garon are gonna get the job done. I'm much more comfortable with the situation after seeing Garon's play the last three games. Roly will get it together and Garon will play a lot of games allowing his 42 year old bod to keep it together.

Bolto is offline  
Old
10-26-2011, 08:46 AM
  #7
Felonious Python
Moderator
Purple Squirrel
 
Felonious Python's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Hot Seat
Posts: 13,835
vCash: 500
I don't think we'll sign Rinne.

Nashville goalies seem to be in large part, products of the system, and Rinne's rise has been very sudden in the world of professional hockey. I don't think he'd live up to a big UFA contract.

It's either another under the radar signing/trade, or we work Tokarski in.

Isn't Marty Turco still available? He had an overall disappointing campaign with Chicago last year, but the whole team did, quite honestly.

Winnipeg has David Aebsicher under contract, although I don't know how well he's played in recent years. He's only 33, so he shouldn't have fallen that far off, could he? Oh well, I'm just throwing his name out there. He'd be pretty far down my list.


Last edited by Felonious Python: 10-26-2011 at 08:59 AM.
Felonious Python is offline  
Old
10-26-2011, 10:08 AM
  #8
Bolto
?
 
Bolto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Spring Hill, FL
Posts: 262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Isn't Marty Turco still available?
I think he's working as an analyst on the NHL network.

Bolto is offline  
Old
10-26-2011, 11:00 AM
  #9
Felonious Python
Moderator
Purple Squirrel
 
Felonious Python's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Hot Seat
Posts: 13,835
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolto View Post
I think he's working as an analyst on the NHL network.
I think so, but from what I can tell, he hasn't officially announced retirement.

Felonious Python is offline  
Old
10-26-2011, 11:26 AM
  #10
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own
 
The Wyzerhood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,935
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RECsGuy View Post
Pursue Nabokov (UFA) this summer?

Stick it out with Tokarski?

Take a goaltender early in the '12 draft?

Offer-Sheet Rask, Schneider and/or Dubnyk?

Try your luck with Harding (UFA)?

Trade for Giguere? Perhaps make a bigger trade that will require more assets (Bobrovsky, Neuvirth, Bernier)?
I don't see us pursuing another old goalie if it doesn't pan out with Roloson this year. Since I'm assuming Garon won't continue his level of play for the rest of the season, I can't see how Giguere would be an improvement either as he is too injury prone and inconsistent. Harding is also too injury prone to be considered for the #1 role imo.

As far as RFA's go, I do not see us offer sheeting anyone and would only be used as a desperate last resort. Draft picks are too valuable and all the goalies listed are slightly unproven as #1's. However, I could see Y swinging a trade to try and land one and of the ones listed it'd probably be Schneider who's available. Tim Thomas is getting up there in age at 37 and Rask will replace him as Boston's #1. Dubnyk and Neuvrith appear to be in similar situations in Edmonton and Washington respectively.

Tokarski's been awful in the AHL this year, so he'll have to play much better before being considered our long-term #1. Bernier and Bobrovsky could certainly be entertaining options, but it would all depend on the asking price. While their potentials are high, neither have proven much at the NHL level yet and would also be huge gambles.

The Wyzerhood is offline  
Old
10-26-2011, 11:28 AM
  #11
Bolto
?
 
Bolto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Spring Hill, FL
Posts: 262
vCash: 500
Yeah, I can't find anything about an official retirement so perhaps he's available if the right situation presented itself.

Bolto is offline  
Old
10-26-2011, 11:31 AM
  #12
CommunistDayKare
I'M SORRY RUM HAM
 
CommunistDayKare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: Puerto Rico
Posts: 1,720
vCash: 500
I would love to have Rinne next season, since he's one of my favorite goaltenders in the league. Honestly though I don't see Nashville letting him go. What would they do then? Go with another goalie or elevate Lindback?

CommunistDayKare is offline  
Old
10-26-2011, 12:47 PM
  #13
DangleDoppler
Registered User
 
DangleDoppler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 347
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile High View Post

Tokarski's been awful in the AHL this year, so he'll have to play much better before being considered our long-term #1. Bernier and Bobrovsky could certainly be entertaining options, but it would all depend on the asking price. While their potentials are high, neither have proven much at the NHL level yet and would also be huge gambles.
I definitely think the Jury is still out on Tokarski, he didn't get any training camp time because of an injury. So really I could easily see those first two atrocious games of his being because of rust. after that he had a shutout and a 3-1 loss...I would wait and decide how he plays the rest of the year before assuming his play is bad off of such a small sample size.

DangleDoppler is offline  
Old
10-26-2011, 01:45 PM
  #14
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own
 
The Wyzerhood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,935
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangleDoppler View Post
I definitely think the Jury is still out on Tokarski, he didn't get any training camp time because of an injury. So really I could easily see those first two atrocious games of his being because of rust. after that he had a shutout and a 3-1 loss...I would wait and decide how he plays the rest of the year before assuming his play is bad off of such a small sample size.
Which is why I said he would have to play better before being considered a long-term solution for our #1 goalie...his play being bad now has everything to do with the sample size, you couldn't possibly say it's good. I never said he would be bad all season, just that he's been bad up to this point.

The Wyzerhood is offline  
Old
10-26-2011, 07:17 PM
  #15
Still All In
Plz stop pucks
 
Still All In's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Scrip Club
Country: United States
Posts: 20,145
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
I don't think we'll sign Rinne.

Nashville goalies seem to be in large part, products of the system, and Rinne's rise has been very sudden in the world of professional hockey. I don't think he'd live up to a big UFA contract.

It's either another under the radar signing/trade, or we work Tokarski in.

Isn't Marty Turco still available? He had an overall disappointing campaign with Chicago last year, but the whole team did, quite honestly.

Winnipeg has David Aebsicher under contract, although I don't know how well he's played in recent years. He's only 33, so he shouldn't have fallen that far off, could he? Oh well, I'm just throwing his name out there. He'd be pretty far down my list.
There is a very distinct difference between Ellis (product) and Rinne (damn good goaltender).

Still All In is offline  
Old
10-26-2011, 07:31 PM
  #16
Felonious Python
Moderator
Purple Squirrel
 
Felonious Python's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Hot Seat
Posts: 13,835
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genius Brian Lawton View Post
There is a very distinct difference between Ellis (product) and Rinne (damn good goaltender).
Ehh...maybe. Nashville hasn't really had a whole lot of goalies, all things considered.

Dunham-Vokoun-Mason-Ellis-Rinne-Lindback?

They all have benefited from the Trotz system though, and I'm not saying Rinne will completely fall apart without Weber and Suter in front of him, but he probably won't live up to some monster contract either.

Felonious Python is offline  
Old
10-26-2011, 07:42 PM
  #17
Still All In
Plz stop pucks
 
Still All In's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Scrip Club
Country: United States
Posts: 20,145
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
Ehh...maybe. Nashville hasn't really had a whole lot of goalies, all things considered.

Dunham-Vokoun-Mason-Ellis-Rinne-Lindback?

They all have benefited from the Trotz system though, and I'm not saying Rinne will completely fall apart without Weber and Suter in front of him, but he probably won't live up to some monster contract either.
Disagree entirely, he plays under constant pressure with a team that struggles to score goals and didn't crumble in the playoffs like another big name goaltender signed this summer (coughbryzgalovcough) while putting up ridiculous numbers. His WORST year with more than 5 starts was .911 and he has been an absolute horse as a starter.

Ellis was nowhere near that.

Still All In is offline  
Old
10-26-2011, 07:43 PM
  #18
Still All In
Plz stop pucks
 
Still All In's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Scrip Club
Country: United States
Posts: 20,145
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
Ehh...maybe. Nashville hasn't really had a whole lot of goalies, all things considered.

Dunham-Vokoun-Mason-Ellis-Rinne-Lindback?

They all have benefited from the Trotz system though, and I'm not saying Rinne will completely fall apart without Weber and Suter in front of him, but he probably won't live up to some monster contract either.
I get what you're saying, but Vokoun and Rinne (and eventually Lindback) are phenominal goaltenders. Dunham, Ellis, Mason were reaches.

Still All In is offline  
Old
10-26-2011, 07:57 PM
  #19
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own
 
The Wyzerhood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,935
vCash: 500
Who are the Lighning anyway?

I think Rinne is the real deal, however there is no data to support whether or not his statistics are a result of the Nashville system. Despite Bryzgalov choking in the playoffs two years in a row, I think he's still a great goaltender who needs to acclimate himself in his new environment. My guess is that he'll start showing better numbers 1/3 of the way into the season similar to Niemi in San Jose last year.

The Wyzerhood is offline  
Old
10-26-2011, 09:08 PM
  #20
Felonious Python
Moderator
Purple Squirrel
 
Felonious Python's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Hot Seat
Posts: 13,835
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile High View Post
Who are the Lighning anyway?

I think Rinne is the real deal, however there is no data to support whether or not his statistics are a result of the Nashville system. Despite Bryzgalov choking in the playoffs two years in a row, I think he's still a great goaltender who needs to acclimate himself in his new environment. My guess is that he'll start showing better numbers 1/3 of the way into the season similar to Niemi in San Jose last year.
and the only way to get that data is to either remove him from Nashville, or remove the supporting players and system that maximize his effectiveness. It's taking that leap that concerns me. A rather risky experiment.

Felonious Python is offline  
Old
10-26-2011, 10:55 PM
  #21
TBLHoser
Registered User
 
TBLHoser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sunshine State
Country: United States
Posts: 1,945
vCash: 500
Vasily Koshechkin, Cherepovets
Season totals: 12 GP, 7-4-0, 1 SO, 2.34 GAA, .929 sv%

Is Vasily not a viable candidate anymore?

TBLHoser is offline  
Old
10-27-2011, 12:27 AM
  #22
Still All In
Plz stop pucks
 
Still All In's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Scrip Club
Country: United States
Posts: 20,145
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
and the only way to get that data is to either remove him from Nashville, or remove the supporting players and system that maximize his effectiveness. It's taking that leap that concerns me. A rather risky experiment.
I think if you were to break his play down strictly on where he has been scored on (available through HITS data), who has been on the ice when scored upon, and differential I think you'll see a much more consistent picture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucLight View Post
Vasily Koshechkin, Cherepovets
Season totals: 12 GP, 7-4-0, 1 SO, 2.34 GAA, .929 sv%

Is Vasily not a viable candidate anymore?
Doubt it. Hes still a bit all over the map after growing up with a team that played the trap heavily and doesn't seem willing to cross the pond without a guarantee.

Still All In is offline  
Old
10-27-2011, 08:13 AM
  #23
Felonious Python
Moderator
Purple Squirrel
 
Felonious Python's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Hot Seat
Posts: 13,835
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genius Brian Lawton View Post
I get what you're saying, but Vokoun and Rinne (and eventually Lindback) are phenominal goaltenders. Dunham, Ellis, Mason were reaches.
Right. I made an estimation error when I was thinking of Ellis and Mason, I was somewhat surprised when I actually looked at how well they rotated backups into starters.

It still does show to me that at least a 1/3rd of their goalies could be considered 'products', and that's also enough for me to say that under the same coach and GM, every goalie they've had has at least statistically benefited from the system they've got in place.

It's not like they could put a fire hydrant in, and he'd have below a 3.00 GAA. Every goalie in their history has some level of quality. Poile knows the importance of this, and especially given their budget restraints, he's built from the goal, out, as well as he can.

As for the team's troubles scoring goals, well, that has nothing to do with the goalie, but it does heighten the need for them to button it down defensively. That changes the tactics, etc.

I'm also remembering Dan Ellis' time here. It came across to me, that he didn't think his teammates were doing some of the things they needed to do, (while they were likely wondering why he wasn't making the occasional save) which says to me that he was reliant on his teammates to cover for him more in Nashville. (which also logically implies they are capable of making a goalie look better)


Last edited by Felonious Python: 10-27-2011 at 08:29 AM.
Felonious Python is offline  
Old
10-27-2011, 11:18 AM
  #24
chasespace
Registered User
 
chasespace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Williston, FL
Posts: 4,604
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucLight View Post
Vasily Koshechkin, Cherepovets
Season totals: 12 GP, 7-4-0, 1 SO, 2.34 GAA, .929 sv%

Is Vasily not a viable candidate anymore?
I'd say he's a cheaper, same risk option when compared to Rinne.

chasespace is offline  
Old
10-27-2011, 07:28 PM
  #25
NHL Lady
Registered User
 
NHL Lady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 75
vCash: 500
I think would be awesome if we can eventually get Jacob Markstrom from the Panthers. I mean, he is/was the #1 goalie over in Sweden. And yes, i know there is a difference between there system over there and our NHL system.

NHL Lady is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:57 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.