HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game #9: St. Louis Blues at Vancouver Canucks

Old
10-26-2011, 11:32 PM
SirPaste
Use The Schwartz!

vCash: 50
Elliott gets the shut out, man hes been great so far. Awesome games by Steen and Petro as well.

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 11:32 PM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

vCash: 500
Nice win, Elliott deserved the shutout, he played solid and Steen is our answer to the Canucks. huzzah!

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 11:41 PM
HooliganX2

Elliott is impressing me. I really wasn't very happy with the signing so far I've been wrong.

I thought we would have some knew members here with the official Blues message board closing down.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 11:43 PM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
Team ϶(o)ϵ

This team is playing extremely well right now...great energy for the full 60 minutes, great team/system play, and smart decisions. They're moving their feet, and it's showing in their breakouts, transitions, and back-checking. Honestly, I can't think of a single significant critique. Top to bottom, everyone is pulling their weight and playing the team's game.

Great game.

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 12:01 AM
BlueDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterSobchak View Post
it really looked like Backes tipped that but either way, David was playing a good screen. This team plays with alot more confidence when it knows the goaltender is going to stop those first initial shots and control the rebounds.
Didn't tip it, it deflected off the inside of Schneider's arm and went it.

Anyways, wow, what a win! Man I love this team when they're on their game. 3 in a row, good job boys.

Elliott, Steen and Shattenkirk were fantastic.

Elliott with a 32 save shutout. Unbelievable. He is good, keep playing him.

Steen is just a Canuck killer - it's awesome, and Kevin Shattenkirk with two nice assists including a DIRTY pass on Berglund's goal. Shattenkirk is a great player, I'm telling you, I'd rather have him over EJ by himself. He could very well end up being the best player we got in that deal even though I love Stewie as well.

Great game though. Back at it against Calgary and Edmonton this weekend - two winnable games. I would play Elliott again on Friday night.

BlueDream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 12:29 AM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonBlues22 View Post
This team is playing extremely well right now...great energy for the full 60 minutes, great team/system play, and smart decisions. They're moving their feet, and it's showing in their breakouts, transitions, and back-checking. Honestly, I can't think of a single significant critique. Top to bottom, everyone is pulling their weight and playing the team's game.

Great game.
Yes-an incredible turnaround from their earlier haphazard, inconsistent and almost nonexistent team play. Maybe they've got that out of their system, and we'll see only play like this for the rest of the season? I surely hope so. It would mean a good playoff seed.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 12:37 AM
Thallis
DO I LOOK ANGRY

vCash: 499
Send a message via MSN to Thallis
Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
Elliott is impressing me. I really wasn't very happy with the signing so far I've been wrong.

I thought we would have some knew members here with the official Blues message board closing down.
I've always thought that the Elliot sucks bandwagon always went way too far. He's not really someone you want to rely on to be your starter, but he can definitely thrive in the role we put him in.

Thallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 01:14 AM
Johnny Bang Bang

Blues fans,

What are the chances that Elliott steals the #1 job from Halak?

How much rope will Halak get here?

Johnny Bang Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 01:22 AM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bang Bang View Post
Blues fans,

I think Elliott is pretty much the starter until he plays bad.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 01:46 AM
BlueBeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bang Bang View Post
Blues fans,

Our next set of back to back games is the first weekend of November and we only have two games prior to that so it is a reasonable guess that we could see Elliot get the start in three of the next four games. It's hard to fault a coach for playing the hot hand in goal. If he continues to play poorly the next three or four times he's in net then I would say it's Elliot's job to lose. Until then I think they are going to play the hot hand but give Halak a chance to get back up to par.

BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 02:46 AM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
Team ϶(o)ϵ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
Yes-an incredible turnaround from their earlier haphazard, inconsistent and almost nonexistent team play. Maybe they've got that out of their system, and we'll see only play like this for the rest of the season? I surely hope so. It would mean a good playoff seed.
My best guess is that the team felt pretty confident in the talent level they have for this season, and they came into this season figuring they would play more of a "talent game". It led to a lot of individual efforts, which led to the team being incredibly out of sync and a ton of turnovers.

To his credit, Payne seems to have nipped that in the bud fairly quickly and (perhaps the most encouraging part) the message seems to have stuck. The last three games have been a complete team effort from top to bottom for the full 60 minutes. That sort of extended consistent effort (especially when rebounding off a bad loss) was simply not something the Blues had in them last year.

The early returns after this initial bit of adversity have been very encouraging, IMO. If Halak can return his game to form by the time Elliott cools off, we should be in solid shape this year.

Old
10-27-2011, 07:50 AM
execwrite

The difference between last year and this year -

Brian Elliott, Jason Arnott, Jamie Langenbrunner, Scott Nichol and Kent Huskins.

Doug Armstrong is a genius.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 08:13 AM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
The difference between last year and this year -

Brian Elliott, Jason Arnott, Jamie Langenbrunner, Scott Nichol and Kent Huskins.

Doug Armstrong is a genius.
not even the biggest optimists would have thought that this guys would work that well, unbeleavable!

Last edited by frostyflo: 10-27-2011 at 11:08 AM.
frostyflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 08:47 AM
Stories
Hockey scientist

Looks like Shattenkirk had a great game for you guys. Glad to see he's doing well in St. Louis. I really miss the guy (especially since I saw him develop in college, too!).

Stories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 10:29 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Anyone else see Conklin in goal when the Redwings lost to the Bluejackets?

Folks with DirecTV: My HD broadcast of FSMidwest was blocked out, but I was able to view the SD channel. Anyone else have a problem? I'm thinking this may have been to do with the dispute between Fox and DTV, but I thought that wasn't supposed to affect programming until Nov 1st. Was I the only one? It affected my Center Ice channels as well.

As far as Shattenkirk, I'd rather have him than EJ straight up. I recognize EJ's physical tools and potential, but I think Shattenkirk makes the Blues a better team than EJ would do if you swapped them straight across.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 12:37 PM
TerminatorBlue

3 in a row! Next stop Calgary.

TerminatorBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 12:41 PM
Louie the Blue
Because it's a trap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stories View Post
Looks like Shattenkirk had a great game for you guys. Glad to see he's doing well in St. Louis. I really miss the guy (especially since I saw him develop in college, too!).
Shatty Lite did indeed have a great game.

Louie the Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 12:42 PM
trevorftw
Voice of Reason

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
Anyone else see Conklin in goal when the Redwings lost to the Bluejackets?

Folks with DirecTV: My HD broadcast of FSMidwest was blocked out, but I was able to view the SD channel. Anyone else have a problem? I'm thinking this may have been to do with the dispute between Fox and DTV, but I thought that wasn't supposed to affect programming until Nov 1st. Was I the only one? It affected my Center Ice channels as well.

As far as Shattenkirk, I'd rather have him than EJ straight up. I recognize EJ's physical tools and potential, but I think Shattenkirk makes the Blues a better team than EJ would do if you swapped them straight across.
I had the game in hd and i'm on dtv

trevorftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 12:47 PM
Twister18

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorftw View Post
I had the game in hd and i'm on dtv
So did I.

I have been pleasantly surprised by the play of Huskins. I was thinking another Pilon when he was signed but makes the fundamental plays and doesn't seem to play over his head.

Twister18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 01:06 PM
SirPaste
Use The Schwartz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twister18 View Post
So did I.

I have been pleasantly surprised by the play of Huskins. I was thinking another Pilon when he was signed but makes the fundamental plays and doesn't seem to play over his head.
Totally agree with you on Huskins, he's been great. There have been a few instances where he gets beat but Petro is right there to bail him out.

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 03:37 PM
rocsfeather
jump

Is Huskins really playing well, and he's on your top pairing? That's great if so. Always interested in how ex-Ducks are doing.

rocsfeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 03:51 PM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
Team ϶(o)ϵ

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidy2d View Post
Is Huskins really playing well, and he's on your top pairing? That's great if so. Always interested in how ex-Ducks are doing.
Yes, and yes.

He's obviously no wizard with the puck, but he's shown the ability to move it well enough in transition. He's shown good positioning and decision making in all three zones, as well as a willingness to block shots (one of the best on the team, IMO) and a good compete level in puck battles. IMO, he's clearly outplayed Nikitin thus far (earning a recurring starting role), and he's shown good chemistry with Pietrangelo, but he's nowhere in the vicinity of a true "top pairing" defenseman in terms of game impact. So far, though, he's been a great signing.

Old
10-27-2011, 03:57 PM
EllsFan30

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBeard View Post
Our next set of back to back games is the first weekend of November and we only have two games prior to that so it is a reasonable guess that we could see Elliot get the start in three of the next four games. It's hard to fault a coach for playing the hot hand in goal. If he continues to play poorly the next three or four times he's in net then I would say it's Elliot's job to lose. Until then I think they are going to play the hot hand but give Halak a chance to get back up to par.
Well the way Payne was talking he didn't want a situation where Halak is sitting too long and he made it sound like he would be in for at least one of the two games this weekend. But then from there, like he's been saying and doing, he has to go with who's hot.

EllsFan30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 10:19 PM
rocsfeather
jump

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonBlues22 View Post
Yes, and yes.

He's obviously no wizard with the puck, but he's shown the ability to move it well enough in transition. He's shown good positioning and decision making in all three zones, as well as a willingness to block shots (one of the best on the team, IMO) and a good compete level in puck battles. IMO, he's clearly outplayed Nikitin thus far (earning a recurring starting role), and he's shown good chemistry with Pietrangelo, but he's nowhere in the vicinity of a true "top pairing" defenseman in terms of game impact. So far, though, he's been a great signing.
Good to hear, hope he continues to work out.

rocsfeather is offline   Reply With Quote