HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Zibanejad back to Sweden

Closed Thread

Old
11-03-2011, 01:00 PM
Minister of Offence

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory View Post
Playing his second game tonight away against Brynäs in one hour, if anyone is intrested.
I'm interested... would love a stream if there is one.

Old
11-03-2011, 01:16 PM
SenzZen

Silf the schocker.

Old
11-03-2011, 01:45 PM
Cujomi
Leeuw YNWA Ddraig

The Silver Bullet.

Old
11-03-2011, 02:01 PM
SenzZen

Another great set-up by Mika goes unconverted.

Old
11-03-2011, 02:20 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenzZen View Post
Another great set-up by Mika goes unconverted.
DIF looks pretty outmatched. Goalie looked brutal on that 2 on 1 for 2nd goal.

Old
11-03-2011, 02:22 PM
Glory

DIF have played crap all season long (last season too, but not this bad). Time for the coach to step a side.

Old
11-03-2011, 02:39 PM
Manny*

Is there a stream, or what?

Old
11-03-2011, 10:42 PM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

vCash: 1470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
DIF looks pretty outmatched. Goalie looked brutal on that 2 on 1 for 2nd goal.
Remind me again why they sent Zibanejad back? Ludicrous if you ask me...

Old
11-04-2011, 05:38 AM
Cujomi
Leeuw YNWA Ddraig

I thought sending him back was a mistake for what it's worth. I just have my doubts about him 'dominating' the SEL and gaining something that he didn't have here -- aside from a year in physical and psychological development that he will gain naturally.

Old
11-04-2011, 09:00 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanSensFan View Post
Remind me again why they sent Zibanejad back? Ludicrous if you ask me...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJam613 View Post
I thought sending him back was a mistake for what it's worth. I just have my doubts about him 'dominating' the SEL and gaining something that he didn't have here -- aside from a year in physical and psychological development that he will gain naturally.
He doesn't have to dominate to make it worth while. He has to come back to the NHL a more confident player with the puck, more poised. We won't know for sure for a while if that happened...but suggesting staying here would have accomplished that...I guess he'd just learn it next year at 19 in the NHL.

Alfie put it into good perspective, he said he wasn't even good enough to play in the SEL at 18. Lots of things are difficult for an 18 year old Euro coming over to camp, no one had made it further as such a young Swede...coming over at 19 is probably easier after having come over at 18....even if he sat out the year with an injury.

I assume at least some of it has to do with being intimidated by surroundings, being 18 and stepping into an NHL dressing room, sit beside stars, play infront of sellout crowds....it's a lot for a kid who a year ago was playing in front of 50 people a night in the Swedish junior league.

Old
11-04-2011, 09:26 AM
SensHero

Somebody tell me something about Pontus Aberg? At 17 he already has 10pts in 18 gms for Djurgardens. That's 1 more that Zibanejad had all of last year.

Where is he projected do be drafted this year?

Old
11-04-2011, 09:28 AM
Greeningfan14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensHero View Post
Somebody tell me something about Pontus Aberg? At 17 he already has 10pts in 18 gms for Djurgardens. That's 1 more that Zibanejad had all of last year.

First round, maybe top 10.

Old
11-04-2011, 09:39 AM
SenzZen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensHero View Post

He's actually 18 already- 5 months younger than Zibanejad.

Plays a pretty physical game, too. A couple of times I thought he was Mika on the forecheck as they're both righties and have a similar skating style.

Old
11-04-2011, 09:50 AM
Cujomi
Leeuw YNWA Ddraig

Quote:
He doesn't have to dominate to make it worth while. He has to come back to the NHL a more confident player with the puck, more poised. We won't know for sure for a while if that happened...but suggesting staying here would have accomplished that...I guess he'd just learn it next year at 19 in the NHL.

Alfie put it into good perspective, he said he wasn't even good enough to play in the SEL at 18. Lots of things are difficult for an 18 year old Euro coming over to camp, no one had made it further as such a young Swede...coming over at 19 is probably easier after having come over at 18....even if he sat out the year with an injury.

I assume at least some of it has to do with being intimidated by surroundings, being 18 and stepping into an NHL dressing room, sit beside stars, play infront of sellout crowds....it's a lot for a kid who a year ago was playing in front of 50 people a night in the Swedish junior league.
Sure it's a big difference, but I think him getting used to the pressures of the NHL at 18 would have been best for him. He showed that he could hang physically, that his skating wasn't behind where it needed to be and that he could make some nice plays. On top of that his defensive game was excellent. I fully believe that he was mostly being held back by nerves and the pressure of a 9 game tryout. It's still early, but I believe that sending him back might have been a mistake. I don't think we're going to gain anything from it that we wouldn't have gained already just from him developing naturally as a younger player. I don't think he has the psychological instability that truly affects some young players that are 'ruined' by being 'rushed' to the NHL.

Old
11-04-2011, 09:55 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJam613 View Post
Sure it's a big difference, but I think him getting used to the pressures of the NHL at 18 would have been best for him. He showed that he could hang physically, that his skating wasn't behind where it needed to be and that he could make some nice plays. On top of that his defensive game was excellent. I fully believe that he was mostly being held back by nerves and the pressure of a 9 game tryout. It's still early, but I believe that sending him back might have been a mistake. I don't think we're going to gain anything from it that we wouldn't have gained already just from him developing naturally as a younger player. I don't think he has the psychological instability that truly affects some young players that are 'ruined' by being 'rushed' to the NHL.
I agree with basically everything you just said, except for the mistake part. I don't think there's a risk in sending him back, probably wasn't much of a risk in keeping him. But I do think playing infront of sellout crowds as a lead player on a pretty strong Swedish junior team will be good for him. I think the year to mature in a less stressful environment will be good for him.

It's a nice way to disperse our centers...there wasn't room for all these centers in Ottawa once people get healthy. I don't want him to be a winger.

Old
11-04-2011, 10:06 AM
Cujomi
Leeuw YNWA Ddraig

Quote:
I agree with basically everything you just said, except for the mistake part. I don't think there's a risk in sending him back, probably wasn't much of a risk in keeping him. But I do think playing infront of sellout crowds as a lead player on a pretty strong Swedish junior team will be good for him. I think the year to mature in a less stressful environment will be good for him.

It's a nice way to disperse our centers...there wasn't room for all these centers in Ottawa once people get healthy. I don't want him to be a winger.
Although I was once a proponent of making him a winger because it seems like his skillset is perfectly suited for that, he just doesn't seem to be comfortable playing there. I agree that he shouldn't be a winger, but I think that if they had played him on the third line all year this year with guys like Daugavins and Condra he could have really learned a lot of good things.

I also think the Swedish Junior team will be good for him, but aside from his experience there I would have preferred to see him play in Ottawa.

Next year though could be very interesting. Zibanejad - Silfverberg on the same line will be really nice. Depending on who we draft, or who comes up a Daugavins - Zibanejad - Silfverberg, Filatov - Zibanejad - Silfverberg or Aberg - Zibanejad - Silfverberg line could be monstrous.

Old
11-04-2011, 10:15 AM
Minister of Offence

At the end of the day I don't think there's anything wrong with him coming here at 18, getting his cup of tea...and then taking a year to reflect and prepare for it at 19. It's worked for so many players before him...

Having watched him play yesterday, it looks like he's going to get a lot of the time carrying the puck on that big ice. He made a crossing pass to the tape of a teammate on a 2 on 1 that his teammate put a rather pedestrian attempt to convert and he created another chance for his linemate right infront of the net. Barely watched the 3rd, but apparently it was his best period.

I think this team doing as well as they can all year, and then adding Silfverberg and Zibanejad and whoever else can challenge is great for the longterm outlook of the team. I don't think we've got anything to lose by Zibanejad waiting a year, let alone Silverberg taking that extra year too.

Old
11-04-2011, 11:48 AM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

Quote:

The problem I have is that he doesn't have a team to support his excellent play. He makes a beautiful, probably NHL level pass and his linemate cannot convert it.

Old
11-04-2011, 12:22 PM
WayneBruce

Quote:
The problem I have is that he doesn't have a team to support his excellent play. He makes a beautiful, probably NHL level pass and his linemate cannot convert it.
That is simply not true. You are really underestimating the SEL, Zibanejad is not supposed to be the best player on Djurgården this year, there are players better than him on the team. He is very good for his age though and should be a solid contributor.

Old
11-04-2011, 12:33 PM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

Are any of the forwards on Zib's team NHL draftee's? I counted maybe 2 aside from Zibanejad. There might be enough to count on one hand...

Old
11-04-2011, 12:44 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Are any of the forwards on Zib's team NHL draftee's? I counted maybe 2 aside from Zibanejad. There might be enough to count on one hand...
There are 5 former NHL'ers on that team... and this may shock you, but 30 year old minor pros are better than 18 year olds 99% of the time.

Old
11-04-2011, 01:22 PM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

Yeah, there were a lot of 30 year old minor pros in bingo last year, that didn't see a lot if any time in Ottawa, even when our team was craphouse last season. So I don't necessarily believe that an 18 year old NHL first round prospect isn't better than a 30 year old SEL pro.

Old
11-04-2011, 02:20 PM
Andre Benoit Bawls
What, Me Worry?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Yeah, there were a lot of 30 year old minor pros in bingo last year, that didn't see a lot if any time in Ottawa, even when our team was craphouse last season. So I don't necessarily believe that an 18 year old NHL first round prospect isn't better than a 30 year old SEL pro.
Benoit got called up and was better than any other DMan we called up, also we're not trying to develop a 30 year old but we are trying to develop an 18 year old. Not to mention I think SEL is probably better than AHL.

Old
11-04-2011, 02:24 PM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

The argument from many on here was to put Zibanejad into a winning environment back in Sweden. That isn't the case with D.I.F. So unless Zibanejad gets traded or Ottawa buys out the contract and puts him in the AHL... he will receive less playing time, play for a very bad team as shown by the current stats, and he will play against lesser players than he might see in the NHL/AHL.

The argument was also to put Zibanejad back in the SEL so he could dominate...

Last edited by DylanSensFan: 11-04-2011 at 02:30 PM.
Old
11-04-2011, 05:21 PM
Manny*

Quote:
The argument from many on here was to put Zibanejad into a winning environment back in Sweden. That isn't the case with D.I.F. So unless Zibanejad gets traded or Ottawa buys out the contract and puts him in the AHL... he will receive less playing time, play for a very bad team as shown by the current stats, and he will play against lesser players than he might see in the NHL/AHL.

The argument was also to put Zibanejad back in the SEL so he could dominate..
Nope.

We sent him back so that he could play on a scoring line and be relied upon to create offence. He wasn't about to sharpen his offensive tools on our third line playing with grinders.

Closed Thread