HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zibanejad back to Sweden

Closed Thread

Old
10-26-2011, 06:17 PM
arglebargle

vCash: 1225
I think this is the right move. He's 18 and not physically mature at this point. He's not going to have the time to hit the gym and build muscle with an NHL or AHL schedule like he would with fewer games.

He was a pretty decent player, but didn't light the scoreboard on fire. The Senators still have a bunch of 20 something prospects who are more in need of NHL ice time for their development. Again, this kid is really young and has plenty of time to adapt to the NA game.

Old
10-26-2011, 06:33 PM
SenzZen

vCash: 500
Well- there it is. Got to trust the brass... but I hope this is actually a hockey decision, rather than a business decision.

Hope he takes it well and comes back hungrier. Our loss is Djurgarden's gain.

Old
10-26-2011, 07:06 PM
GK
Not Jeeks

He will be with us all year next year.

This can only make him a better hockey player. Would have been nice if he went down to Bingo to get used to the ice here. But I'm sure he is happier doing this.

Old
10-26-2011, 07:25 PM
RangersDif

Thanks for sending him back to us guys! We need him.

Old
10-26-2011, 07:31 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersDif View Post
We need you to need him.

Old
10-26-2011, 07:39 PM
RangersDif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
We need you to need him.
He's probably sad that he has to go back to the gritted helmet lol. Just kidding, the guy's 18 now.

I find it strange that he went to NHL so fast, he only played half a season in the SEL and put up only 9 pts.

Hopefully he gets to play in the first line, probably second line in DIF.

Old
10-26-2011, 07:43 PM
TSA0402

I'd be satisfied with him getting top six minutes. More than he would be getting this year in Ottawa. Most likely better place for him to grow as a player.

Also going to assume that Murray didn't demand that he play top line all the time or else.

Old
10-26-2011, 07:49 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
He's probably sad that he has to go back to the gritted helmet lol. Just kidding, the guy's 18 now.

I find it strange that he went to NHL so fast, he only played half a season in the SEL and put up only 9 pts.
The gritted helmet..

That's the thing, Mika could be a fairly effective player in the NHL now much like he was for Djurgardens immediately....but he must go back to Djurgardens and play PP and get more time to handle the puck. Apparently the youngest Swede to ever play an NHL game.

Old
10-26-2011, 07:53 PM
Dysentery
Ottawa Senators

vCash: 50
Im a huge fan of Zibanejad. Seems like a real good guy. Can't wait to seem him ripping up the NHL in the future.

Seems like some of the Swedish fans have beef with the NHL...lol.

Old
10-26-2011, 08:01 PM
SixthSens
Global Moderator
RIP Kev

vCash: 605
Couldn't have gone wrong either way (keeping him here or sending him back), but I think the extra year of development will be good for Mika, hopefully he can develop his offensive game some more and stick with the big club next season. Will be interesting to hear from our Swedish posters how he does overseas.

Old
10-26-2011, 09:11 PM
gof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalott613 View Post
Im a huge fan of Zibanejad. Seems like a real good guy. Can't wait to seem him ripping up the NHL in the future.

Seems like some of the Swedish fans have beef with the NHL...lol.
All swedes that support a SEL team does to be honest. We develop hockey players, put time and money into their training from the ages of 10-11, trying to make them into the best players they can be.

Then the NHL comes and says "we choose Player A from team B. He's our player now lols ". And what do we get? Money? Some, yes. But is it worth it? **** no. SEL teams can't really afford to lose players that's important for the team for basically nothing.

Old
10-26-2011, 10:10 PM
DrEasy
Get well soon, BM!

vCash: 840
Good decision, let him go berzerk in the SEL and come back with a vengeance next year!

But this why I wanted us to go after a guy like Prospal in the off-season. It's not exactly a surprise that Ziba and Da Costa aren't ready yet for the NHL, so we could have gotten a legit 2nd-liner on a one-yr contract who gives the team a chance to compete, and who can net us a decent return at the trade deadline. A nice way to accelerate the rebuild, and it wouldn't have cost us much.

Old
10-26-2011, 10:38 PM
jordan7hm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gof View Post
All swedes that support a SEL team does to be honest. We develop hockey players, put time and money into their training from the ages of 10-11, trying to make them into the best players they can be.

Then the NHL comes and says "we choose Player A from team B. He's our player now lols ". And what do we get? Money? Some, yes. But is it worth it? **** no. SEL teams can't really afford to lose players that's important for the team for basically nothing.
Teams should be allowed to force men that they recruited as children to work for them for their entire careers.

Old
10-26-2011, 10:47 PM
Proust

Quote:
The gritted helmet..

That's the thing, Mika could be a fairly effective player in the NHL now much like he was for Djurgardens immediately....but he must go back to Djurgardens and play PP and get more time to handle the puck. Apparently the youngest Swede to ever play an NHL game.
It will be tough for him to win the Calder from Sweden eh?

Hopefully some posters here have learned their lesson on being giant homers.

Old
10-26-2011, 11:06 PM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

vCash: 1470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakob Silfverberg View Post
So long.
Trying to figure out what you contribute besides crap?

At least the others here have some sort of positive about it. I dunno if I've ever seen anything you've posted as being worth a read... with over 2000 posts, that must be a lot of crap on these boards.

Regarding Zibanejad, It was a good decision by management, even if I felt differently and hoped they would keep him around. The 9 game pressure got to him. He will come back next season and earn his spot in training camp.

Old
10-26-2011, 11:08 PM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
This is the right move, especially if he's going to be the top center over there.

He didn't look ready offensively.
As long as he is getting top line minutes in Sweden that is the best for him at this point.

Old
10-26-2011, 11:16 PM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

Quote:
Enjoy that, he could have stayed...but he had to show more confidence offensively. I'm sure he'll do that in Sweden.
It's a short season in sweden, he may be back at the end of the year.

Old
10-26-2011, 11:18 PM
2Cowen

vCash: 920
So how good is Silfverberg? I hear about him lots but never really followed him. Pros' and con's?

Old
10-26-2011, 11:20 PM
Manny*

I don't think Zibanejad will tear up the SEL this season. He's still 18. Kids that age simple don't dominate in that league unless their very, very special players.

That being said, I think he'll be more than ready come next year's training camp.

Old
10-26-2011, 11:22 PM
TrueGrit

Quote:
Happy to see him going to a team with a major role waiting for him. Feel free to stop by with updates on how he's playing, we'd all greatly appreciate it!

Old
10-27-2011, 02:25 AM
KAPOW
has no rispeck

very good decision. he's simply not ready on several aspects. no need to columbus-handle him.

Old
10-27-2011, 05:49 AM
RangersDif

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanSensFan View Post
As long as he is getting top line minutes in Sweden that is the best for him at this point.
I don't think he will get top line minutes though. Well, a bit later maybe if he plays really good, but otherwise I think he'll start on the second or third line and work his way up.

That's just what I think and I might be wrong though...

With that being said hehe...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St9jhaTdnmc

Old
10-27-2011, 06:11 AM
Cujomi
Hart en Ziel

Quote:
I don't think he will get top line minutes though. Well, a bit later maybe if he plays really good, but otherwise I think he'll start on the second or third line and work his way up.

That's just what I think and I might be wrong though...

With that being said hehe...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St9jhaTdnmc
Apparently the coach in Djurgarden already told Murray that he was getting top line minutes.

Old
10-27-2011, 06:20 AM
RangersDif

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJam613 View Post
Apparently the coach in Djurgarden already told Murray that he was getting top line minutes.
The "GM" of Djurgården promised Ziba top minutes.

http://hockey.expressen.se/elitserie...-i-andrakedjan

In that article the headline is "Despite the promise, he could play in the second line".

The coaches of Djurgården interperate the promise as in he will be playing in one of the top two lines. It doesn't mean he will be playing in the top line.

Old
10-27-2011, 06:34 AM
Xspyrit

- Agreed with the general sentiment over here. Of course it sucks in the short term but it could be very benificial in the long term. Silfverberg + Zibanejad next year is exciting. They will be more polished and ready to make impact. As for offensive production, nothing dramatic here, check Loui Eriksson and Patric Hornqvist paths... That's about what I hope we get with those 2, and it's very possible.

- The higher guys we drafted (Cowen (9th), Zibanejad (6th), Karlsson (15th)) weren't very high draft picks), buit we never sucked like the Oilers (or other teams) did, not even close.

- What's great is that we'll have 2 guys who might have a chance at the Calder trophy, or at least could be in the finalists.

- And let's remember than Zibanejad is very young (youngest Swede ever in the NHL apparently) and that he doesn't even have a full pro-season under his belt.

- Finally, agreed with Bileur that it gives us a real chance to see what Regin, Da Costa and Smith can do. We already have many young guys to evaluate so it isn't like our only rookie was sent down. We actually had a bit too much at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AE View Post
Don't get your panties in a bunch, Djurgården has and will never promise a player a certain role or a place on the team.
Considering who the coach is, if someone would even ask that they'd probably get punched in the face as an answer.

Maybe the Sens asked them "how they would use Zibanejad if they were to send him back", don't you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batali Crocs View Post
Right decision.

He wasn't ready in pre-season. It was just so obvious to me. I never wanted him on the roster, and this 9 game stint proved that to the GM. Glad we're not rushing him.

Gosh, I love reading those posts... incredible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man View Post
Oh no! This can't be! How can I show my face around HFboards knowing that Zibanejad is heading back to Sweden while Couturier is going to stick in the NHL!? I am so internet embarrassed.

Closed Thread