HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

we have the least confident fan base ever

Old
10-26-2011, 01:59 PM
startainfection

vCash: 500
we have the least confident fan base ever

its kinda pathetic, i went to the penguins game last night and it didnt get loud at all until the last 10 minutes of them game, it is pathetic that it was as quiet as it was especially against the penguins, i feel like people are too nervous to cheer on their team, as fans we are supposed to make it feel like it is their arena and the penguins fans were louder even though they were out numbered tremendously, not one person would join a lets go islanders chant with me even when the isles were putting presure on the pens and the score was still 0 0

idk what to expect in response to this it just bothered me alot last night, i feel like the only sections that make noise are 329-331

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 02:06 PM
Islanderfan17

If the team plays dead, the crowd will too.

Sorry, it's the truth. I'm usually an optimistic fan that will cheer but based on the play as of late I have absolutely nothing to cheer for. The team needs to give us fans something, and we'll give back. Personally I had a headache just watching that game last night, I thought we played pretty awful overall and I'm still not seeing any effort from a lot of guys and I don't respect that.

Earn my respect Islanders

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 02:07 PM
Wedregast

Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
its kinda pathetic, i went to the penguins game last night and it didnt get loud at all until the last 10 minutes of them game, it is pathetic that it was as quiet as it was especially against the penguins, i feel like people are too nervous to cheer on their team, as fans we are supposed to make it feel like it is their arena and the penguins fans were louder even though they were out numbered tremendously, not one person would join a lets go islanders chant with me even when the isles were putting presure on the pens and the score was still 0 0

idk what to expect in response to this it just bothered me alot last night, i feel like the only sections that make noise are 329-331
It's reflected here as well. I also think it's not just being less confident, but because of large chunks of our team's past 17 seasons, the fanbase is in a depressive state. They snap out of it when we have a 2-3 game winning streak, and then go back into it the next loss.

We are 3-4-0 and people are acting like we just finished a 0-82-0 season.

Wedregast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 02:20 PM
zaius

Been to many games at the garden where the rag$ fanbase is audibly missing as well, even with much larger crowds. It all reflects the play on the ice. If you play lackadaisical that's what you'll get from the fans.

zaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 02:29 PM
RWWallpaper

Don't blame the crowd for almost 20 straight years of not winning so much as a God damn playoff series. I have been around since before the Dynasty and let me tell you, the same folks who packed the barn back then cranking out enough noise to blow the roof off are the same people who go today. We have just been beaten up so badly over the last two decades we are ALWAYS waiting for the other shoe to drop.

...the New York Islanders have no one to blame but themselves for the lack of intensity and sheer numbers at these games...has nothing to do with us at all. How much are people supposed to endure? We do watch this to entertain ourselves correct? Well, how entertaining have they been since Volek knocked out the Pens back in 93? Cause and effect my friend...

RWWallpaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 02:31 PM
Isles Junkie

I think it has something to do with only winning 2 playoff rounds in the last 21 years. They've only been to the playoffs 4 times in my adult lifetime. they came into the season with modest expectations to improve, and they can't get any offense going 5 on 5. they play like they're afraid of getting hurt. It's a boring team right now & the fans who show up are going to respond with a boring effort. It's the teams job to excite us, not our job to excite the team.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 02:35 PM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
I think it has something to do with only winning 2 playoff rounds in the last 21 years.

You couldn't PLAN to destroy a franchise any better than what's happened to this team in the past 20 years. It's a miracle the franchise is still on Long Island and even has any fans left.

If not for those initial four cups, I'm things would have been different.

The fans will come around if the franchise ever turns around. But this is a GENERATION of people that haven't seen a playoff win. That's beyond shameful - it's embarrassing.

Maybe it's not all on Snow, but a good chunk is, and a lot of it is on Wang.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 02:39 PM
rollin109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedregast View Post
It's reflected here as well. I also think it's not just being less confident, but because of large chunks of our team's past 17 seasons, the fanbase is in a depressive state. They snap out of it when we have a 2-3 game winning streak, and then go back into it the next loss.

We are 3-4-0 and people are acting like we just finished a 0-82-0 season.
I dont know why people keep using their record as reason NOT to be upset about this team. Have you actually been watching the games? or just checking the score at the end of the night?

we get it 3-4-0 is not that bad. But the way this team has been playing it could have easily been 0-7-0.

There is no reason for me to believe that this is a playoff team at this point.

And to the OP. These players are paid astronomical salaries to SHOW UP every night and they DONT.

Why should I.

rollin109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 02:41 PM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

What do you want Islander fans to do? Seriously?

Your lucky you even have people who still decide to go to the games.

All we do is lose. We lose. When we aren't losing, we lose. When we're done losing, we just keep losing.

Than, we finally start winning, but than we're right back to losing.

I tried making my case that adding Reasoner ( LOL ) and removing Konopka would have a bigger effect on this team. Let's do nothing in the offseason and claim our young guys with potential could carry us to the playoffs.

Seriously, like I said, you almost start to really think this team doesn't want fans. I refuse to accept any other explanation anymore. You would think an owner who "Loves Long Island" and his team would invest SOMETHING, ANYTHING in it.

I'm over it. Let them pick the newest shiny toy 4th overall. I cannot WAIT to see how they justify this.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 02:53 PM
Words Of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
I think it has something to do with only winning 2 playoff rounds in the last 21 years. They've only been to the playoffs 4 times in my adult lifetime. they came into the season with modest expectations to improve, and they can't get any offense going 5 on 5. they play like they're afraid of getting hurt. It's a boring team right now & the fans who show up are going to respond with a boring effort. It's the teams job to excite us, not our job to excite the team.
This 100%. Nice post!

Words Of Wisdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 03:00 PM
RWWallpaper

David Volek was 27 years old when he scored that OT goal to eliminate the Penguins...He's now 45 years old and we have yet to win so much as one playoff series in all that time...how sickening is that?

RWWallpaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 03:07 PM
Wedregast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollin109 View Post
I dont know why people keep using their record as reason NOT to be upset about this team. Have you actually been watching the games? or just checking the score at the end of the night?

we get it 3-4-0 is not that bad. But the way this team has been playing it could have easily been 0-7-0.

There is no reason for me to believe that this is a playoff team at this point.
I've watched the games, I've also been upset at how except for 3-4 players a night, the rest are invisible or ineffective. I turned off the Pittsburgh game by the start of the 3rd period in disgust the other night. It's demoralizing, losing sucks. Lack of effort sucks.

I just think its too early to judge this team. Doesn't mean I'm happy with the effort. I'd have to think they aren't happy with it themselves. Once they start playing with more intensity, I'd expect a team that should at the worst stay around 50/50 throughout the season.

If the team went 7-0-0 the first seven games, I also wouldn't advocate planning a cup parade either. I just think until about a quarter of the season is played, we don't know what this team is.

In the meantime, its up to Cappy to show he should be coach, and get these players motivated to win games.

Wedregast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 03:14 PM
rollin109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedregast View Post
I've watched the games, I've also been upset at how except for 3-4 players a night, the rest are invisible or ineffective. I turned off the Pittsburgh game by the start of the 3rd period in disgust the other night. It's demoralizing, losing sucks. Lack of effort sucks.

I just think its too early to judge this team. Doesn't mean I'm happy with the effort. I'd have to think they aren't happy with it themselves. Once they start playing with more intensity, I'd expect a team that should at the worst stay around 50/50 throughout the season.

If the team went 7-0-0 the first seven games, I also wouldn't advocate planning a cup parade either. I just think until about a quarter of the season is played, we don't know what this team is.

In the meantime, its up to Cappy to show he should be coach, and get these players motivated to win games.
Exactly. That is my point. He is obviously not doing that and I honestly dont think he is capable of doing that. I was in favor of Cappy staying on as an assistant coach as I felt he was good to have around the guys as a "players coach." The guys obviously like him. But as a leader though I dont think he cuts it.

It worked last year because He was polar opposite of Gordon. He came in. Let the guys play their game and stop thinking too much. They played very relaxed. It is a different environment now. He is not even the same person he was last year. You could see it from the start of training camp. He has been much more intense and Im not saying thats a bad thing. But it obviously is not working for him.

rollin109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 03:29 PM
Doshell Propivo

I actually think that it's pretty amazing ANYONE still shows up.

Doshell Propivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 03:31 PM
slappyMchappy

Well, OP, you may get the answer to your question by looking through this slideshow which chronicles Islander ineptitude over the past 20+ years.

The free-fall from respect started exactly in the '89-'90 season and has not let up since...

That, sir, is the reason this fan-base is not confident. They haven't been given a reason to be in over two-and-a-half decades.

slappyMchappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 03:33 PM
Hip Of Rick

Why would an fan be confident? We have not won a playoff series in alot of fans life times. We have not made the playoffs in what feels like forever and we have been a lotto team for the past 4 seasons with no end in site this season. Screw these guys they should be working their ***** off to win and they are floating around like its old timers day

Hip Of Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 03:44 PM
Words Of Wisdom

Of course were not going to be confident.. This team has not been succesful in DECADES. And the one year where we are supposed to impress, Were already starting off the season flat. I was at the home opener and it was ELECTRIC, the crowd was a sellout, and it got dissappointed by this team. This team shows no heart and desire to win.

Words Of Wisdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 04:35 PM
pjoner

They need to give the fans a reason to cheer. I remember the noise @ Game 3 of the 2003 NYI & TOR series. I was there for opening night this year and the crowd was also rather loud before the puck dropped. I am sure the next time a playoff game is played @ NYMC the fans will be there and it will be loud.

pjoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 04:39 PM
startainfection

its 7 games into the season and at the end of a rebuild, why shouldn't fans be cheering?

i under stand not making noise when you are getting beaten 6 1 but if you have absolutely no faith in your team from the opening face off your not even a fan

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 04:49 PM
number72

Yes because we are going to win this cup this year. What a joke.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 05:00 PM
Hockify

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Of Rick View Post
Why would an fan be confident? We have not won a playoff series in alot of fans life times. We have not made the playoffs in what feels like forever and we have been a lotto team for the past 4 seasons with no end in site this season. Screw these guys they should be working their ***** off to win and they are floating around like its old timers day
To you 2007 feels like forever? There are teams that haven't done anything since before the lockout or even the start of the century.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjoner View Post
They need to give the fans a reason to cheer. I remember the noise @ Game 3 of the 2003 NYI & TOR series. I was there for opening night this year and the crowd was also rather loud before the puck dropped. I am sure the next time a playoff game is played @ NYMC the fans will be there and it will be loud.
Leafs was 2002, 2003 was the Senators (I thought 2003 was the Canadiens had to look it up. All these Canadian teams lol.)

Hockify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 05:08 PM
Sammy2010*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWWallpaper View Post
Don't blame the crowd for almost 20 straight years of not winning so much as a God damn playoff series. I have been around since before the Dynasty and let me tell you, the same folks who packed the barn back then cranking out enough noise to blow the roof off are the same people who go today. We have just been beaten up so badly over the last two decades we are ALWAYS waiting for the other shoe to drop.

...the New York Islanders have no one to blame but themselves for the lack of intensity and sheer numbers at these games...has nothing to do with us at all. How much are people supposed to endure? We do watch this to entertain ourselves correct? Well, how entertaining have they been since Volek knocked out the Pens back in 93? Cause and effect my friend...

Sammy2010* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 05:10 PM
JTROCKS

How many REALISTIC Isles fans thought they would beat the Pens last night, after the way the team looked in Fla? There is not much reason for optimism.

JTROCKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 05:35 PM
Hip Of Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockify View Post
To you 2007 feels like forever? There are teams that haven't done anything since before the lockout or even the start of the century.

We have had 1 memorable playoff LOSS since 1993. That is a long long time. The series against Buffalo, Ottawa, Tampa, and the Rangers can be quickly forgotten with how poor the team played in all of them.

Hip Of Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 05:57 PM
Islanders1932

I have been to three games this year, twice they were shut out. I still cheer for the team, but what about the average fan who was at both those games? Do you think they are going to cheer for a team that isn't doing much to excite them?

The problem is hockey is in the entertainment business. I have gone to three games and only been really entertained by 1. Even as a die hard fan, this makes me re-think how many games I am going to go to. Why should I pay however much for a game where I do not think I will be entertained? This is the exact reason I think they need to call up Haley. Haley will fight, check hard, and generate excitement. If they aren't going to be scoring they need to be doing something from a business standpoint to keep fans going to the games. It won't be too much longer before we barely get 5,000 a game if they don't do something.

Islanders1932 is offline   Reply With Quote