HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

we have the least confident fan base ever

Old
10-27-2011, 08:14 AM
Veteran journeyman

vCash: 500
The team has been pinned in its own zone for most of every game and gets turned away within seconds when they actually do manage to get into the opposing zone. I don't even know how you're supposed to cheer for that. "Whoo! Great job chipping the puck to your own blue line, Mottau! You almost got it out of the zone if that darn defenseman wasn't there waiting for the puck!" People cheer goals, sustained offensive pressure, speed, scoring chances and big hits...none of which the Islanders have done much of outside of two games this year. I was at the home game against TB. There wasn't many of us there, but we cheered through the entire game. Even when the Isles stopped scoring, they were still playing well and people responded. The crowd sounded into it against the Rangers. Heck, all I kept hearing was how the Coliseum was "the loudest it's been in decades" to start the home opener against Fla. All it took was for the Isles to play soft, never get out of their own zone, and get convincingly shut out to kill the noise and enthusiasm, and that'll do it every time to every team.

Veteran journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 08:20 AM
xECK29x

I hate it...I really, really do.

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 10:10 AM
RWWallpaper

Bottom line is we are still here after they have taken one hot steamy dump on us after another for over 20 years...just imagine what we would be like with even a mildy competitive team...

RWWallpaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 10:35 AM
KH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
its 7 games into the season and at the end of a rebuild, why shouldn't fans be cheering?
Seriously, based on who's on the roster and how they've played through the first 7 games, do you really think that the rebuilding process is over?

At best we're in the middle of the rebuild. At worst, we're going to have to start again in a year or two.

Quote:
i under stand not making noise when you are getting beaten 6 1 but if you have absolutely no faith in your team from the opening face off your not even a fan
After all of the **** that the Isles put us through, the mere fact that you're watching the opening faceoff proves that you're a true fan.

KH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 12:08 PM
startainfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by KH1 View Post
Seriously, based on who's on the roster and how they've played through the first 7 games, do you really think that the rebuilding process is over?

At best we're in the middle of the rebuild. At worst, we're going to have to start again in a year or two.

After all of the **** that the Isles put us through, the mere fact that you're watching the opening faceoff proves that you're a true fan.
does any one else remember how close the islanders were to making the play offs in tavares' rookie year, they werent eliminated statisticly until the last week of the season, and they started that season with a record of 0-3-3, they are currently one game under .500 with a schedule that is alot easier in comparason to the last few seasons, this team is going to be in the playoff race all season long and they will make it

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 12:18 PM
Doshell Propivo

Quote:
does any one else remember how close the islanders were to making the play offs in tavares' rookie year, they werent eliminated statisticly until the last week of the season, and they started that season with a record of 0-3-3, they are currently one game under .500 with a schedule that is alot easier in comparason to the last few seasons, this team is going to be in the playoff race all season long and they will make it
Yeah, I remember that season. They were what, the 4th worst team in the league? Fantastic...

The fact is, under the current bastardized points system and manufactured parity the NHL is operating under, virtually every team is "in the playoff race."

But I don't believe for a second that this team will be skating in mid-April. Hope I'm wrong.

Doshell Propivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 12:26 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

vCash: 1130
I watch every game and root for this team. I have invested alot of emotional time on this team since I was a kid. So I have a right to complain about how they play and so do the people here.

I think year after year of BS and rebuilds and each off season with high hopes of getting some decent talent only to be led on with signings of Rolston and Pandolfo and Dough Weight and Bill Guerins of the the NHL you are left wondering what the hell am I wasting my time for. We all want to see this team win and each game goes by and they come out flat , Our owner is pathetic and our GM is just happily getting a paycheck touting the company line.

So yeah ill call a spade and spade and what I see with this team is that they are not that good.

ill root for them to win and will be ecstatic when they do but it will take more then beating the Rangers from now on to do it.

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 12:34 PM
startainfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doshell Propivo View Post
Yeah, I remember that season. They were what, the 4th worst team in the league? Fantastic...

The fact is, under the current bastardized points system and manufactured parity the NHL is operating under, virtually every team is "in the playoff race."

But I don't believe for a second that this team will be skating in mid-April. Hope I'm wrong.
1. 5th worst but 8 points out of the play offs

2. then why do fans have no faith in the islanders actually making the play offs?

Old
10-27-2011, 12:44 PM
Doshell Propivo

Quote:

2. then why do fans have no faith in the islanders actually making the play offs?
Like I said, manufactured parity. Points for losses, shootouts, etc. creates the illusion of an inferior team being "competitive."

Personally speaking, I have no faith in this roster.

Doshell Propivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 12:51 PM
Doug Height
Okposwag

Quote:

Why should they?

What are we going on 5 years now since me made the playoffs?

And we are coming off a lottery finish where we didn't add much to the roster.

Doug Height is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 01:12 PM
startainfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Height View Post
Why should they?

What are we going on 5 years now since me made the playoffs?

And we are coming off a lottery finish where we didn't add much to the roster.
there were 2 holes on the roster last season, one of them being a 4th line center and the isles got that, the other was a top 4 dman, we dont know what was tried otherr then trying to get erhoff

Old
10-27-2011, 01:19 PM
camaro27

This team is just not that good. I no people will say how could you say that 7 games in to the season because it the truth. We can not compete with the big dogs in the NHL we just can't. We are a 500 team at best and will not get us in the playoffs. If you think we are going to win this game tonight you are a fool. I am am big fan just like the rest of you but it is what it is. And what we have here is a 500 team at best. I have not missed a islanders game in the last 40 years never I wait ever year for the season to start but it's the same old crap. So go ahead and bash me and tell me I am not a fan.

camaro27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 01:24 PM
Hipietro

Crowd was confident as hell on opening night. Place was packed 45 mins prior to the game, and the atmosphere was crazy. I was hearing "this is our year" and "this is the team" from a few people around me.

Funny thing is, towards the end of the game those same people started "we still suck" chants.

I guess we just have the most moody and whiny fanbase.

Hipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 01:28 PM
Islanders4life39

Send a message via MSN to Islanders4life39
When it's going good, it's going great, but that hasn't happened too often to this organization in quite some time. For as long as I've been a fan, the team has been pretty miserable. Every season people want to believe it is the year we make the playoffs, and this looked like our best chance by far. A young, talented offense, a 3 headed goaltending monster, and the D was suppose to improve with Streit coming back healthy. But when things look like they have the past few seasons, which they have on this 3 game skid of course people will be miserable. It is like when the hell will this end already?

Islanders4life39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 01:37 PM
Groin Of Bates

Quote:
there were 2 holes on the roster last season, one of them being a 4th line center and the isles got that, the other was a top 4 dman, we dont know what was tried otherr then trying to get erhoff
Oh my, those were not the only two holes on this roster that needed to be filled. Not at all.

The fact that you cannot see the current holes on this roster is upsetting.

Groin Of Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 01:37 PM
macleod50

Seeing the title of this thread, I ask:

What exactly is there to be confident about? John Tavares getting better is about it.

macleod50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 02:03 PM
startainfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Of Bates View Post
Oh my, those were not the only two holes on this roster that needed to be filled. Not at all.

The fact that you cannot see the current holes on this roster is upsetting.
so what were the other holes? btw lack of depth isnt a hole

Old
10-27-2011, 02:11 PM
Hip Of Rick

Quote:
A 2nd line center and wing, a 1st line wing, a top 4 dman, and more

Hip Of Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 02:17 PM
KH1

Quote:
Just to name a few:

We need a real second line center, a veteran top 4 defenseman, an upgrade on the 3rd defense pairing, an upgrade on right wing on the first line, and a defensive winger with some size (we get physically dominated by guys like Malkin and AO.)

And why don't you count lack of secondary scoring as a hole?

Old
10-27-2011, 02:24 PM
startainfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Of Rick View Post
A 2nd line center and wing, a 1st line wing, a top 4 dman, and more
matt moulson, 8th in goals scored and 21st in points by a left winger
pap was tied for 31st in goals for and 22nd in points by a right winger
frans nielsen was 45th in points among centers last season
grabner was 11th in the league in goals scored even though he was on a shut down line
okposo only played 38 games and put up 20 points, if prorated to a full season wouldve had 43 points, the season before that he had 52 points which was 21st best out of all right wingers making him arguably a first liner

i agree that they need a top 4 dman

what else do they need?

Old
10-27-2011, 02:54 PM
Doug Height
Okposwag

Quote:
grabner was 11th in the league in goals scored even though he was on a shut down line
okposo only played 38 games and put up 20 points, if prorated to a full season wouldve had 43 points, the season before that he had 52 points which was 21st best out of all right wingers making him arguably a first liner

what else do they need?
Post all the stats you want, the team still has no 1st line winger to play with Tavares.

Okposo and Moulson are fine as 2nd line wingers, PAP should not be on any competitive teams top-6, and the jury is still out on Grabner.

Doug Height is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 02:58 PM
Hip Of Rick

Quote:

what else do they need?
They need just about everything. The only stat that means anything last year was 14th place in the conference with 73 points. Individual stats only look good for fantasy hockey.

Hip Of Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 02:59 PM
KH1

Quote:

what else do they need?
The Isles were so great last year that they finished with the 4th worst record in the NHL, a full 20 points out of a playoff spot. But yeah, one more defenseman will fully solve that problem

Offensive stats don't tell the whole story.

Old
10-27-2011, 03:11 PM
JKP

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
You couldn't PLAN to destroy a franchise any better than what's happened to this team in the past 20 years.
You may want to reference the Montreal Expos last decade before they left for DC.

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 03:13 PM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 300
I'm 36 years old now, this team hasn't won a playoff series since my senior year of high school. Hard to have a ton of confidence in this organization.

IceAce is online now   Reply With Quote