Notices

Chara still under investigation in Montreal

Old
10-26-2011, 07:14 PM
patty59

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt.45Orr View Post
"DU" isn't capitalized like that. Yeeeesh, don't you know anything?
Exactly.

Tabarancle

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 07:14 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
So, so glad that Benedict Arnold failed to hold that city.

You know, after he conquered it.

That's really when the rivalry started y'know. Massachusetts general conquers Montreal, and they never did get over the inferiority complex that came from that. After all no Montreal general ever exactly conquered Boston, did they?

The only reason we don't use it more often is because, you know, Benedict Arnold.
I just saw this and I like you as a poster. I just doubt you have a history major because this is wack.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 07:16 PM
patty59

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I just saw this and I like you as a poster. I just doubt you have a history major because this is wack.
Really? Tabarnacle

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 07:21 PM
pedrospecialk

Send a message via AIM to pedrospecialk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vineon View Post
Gouvernement DU Québec. Haven't yet managed to learn a little French living in Montréal?
Yeah that's a pretty major oversight, my bad.

I knew French before I came here, but all I'm left with is "ben ouais", "oh mon char!", and "the Bruins sucks".

pedrospecialk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 07:30 PM
Alicat
Charge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
Exactly.

Tabarancle

Can you explain the use of the word for us non- French speaking people Is it some sort of slang?

I know what a tabernacle is..

I am Boston Strong

Alicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 07:32 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alycat View Post
Can you explain the use of the word for us non- French speaking people Is it some sort of slang?

I know what a tabernacle is..
It's French Canadian/Roman Catholic slang; a mild blasphemy. Sort of like saying "the holy ghost!" as an English speaker would say "Jesus Christ!"

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 07:35 PM
Alicat
Charge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
It's French Canadian/Roman Catholic slang; a mild blasphemy. Sort of like saying "the holy ghost!" as an English speaker would say "Jesus Christ!"
I got ya, makes complete sense now.. thanks!

Old
10-26-2011, 07:51 PM
northeastern

reading the article just made me think of chara fighting dudley do right... haha fml

northeastern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 08:09 PM
Vineon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Quite untrue.

First off, the word is ********, or tabernak. Yes that is a derivate of 'tabernacle'.

Second and most importantly, it is no 'mild blasphemy'. It is pretty much the most virulent word you could use in Québécois french. Very much unlike saying 'Jesus Christ' in English.

Edit : Hilariously, the word (tab arnak) was censored by the forums code. I think that says it all.

Vineon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 08:15 PM
ronwm

Quote:
Quite untrue.

First off, the word is ********, or tabernak. Yes that is a derivate of 'tabernacle'.

Second and most importantly, it is no 'mild blasphemy'. It is pretty much the most virulent word you could use in Québécois french. Very much unlike saying 'Jesus Christ' in English.

Edit : Hilariously, the word (tab arnak) was censored by the forums code. I think that says it all.

ronwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 08:18 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Quite untrue.

Wow, I guess my grandmother swore like a sailor, then.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 08:47 PM
Alicat
Charge!

Quote:
Quite untrue.

Interesting. Thanks. Based off what I googled I can see why the filters caught it..LOL

Old
10-27-2011, 08:42 AM
nORRis8*

I hope Chara puts a Hab not just right through the glass but his entire freakin' body lands in the parking lot.

nORRis8* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 08:46 AM
Confound
-Vindicated-

Chara needs to keep punishing people.

Confound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 09:37 AM
rudos1

This is why Quebec and Montreal in particular are thought of in such poor terms internationally. Watch the DVD of Triumph the Insult Dog from Conan's old show where he lays in on the local french Canadians for being smug, arrogant, and out of touch with reality over separtism. Funny and sadly accurate...BTW I love Canada and Quebec and have family there and have visited several times but they really are the laughingstock of North America...

rudos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 09:47 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudos1 View Post
This is why Quebec and Montreal in particular are thought of in such poor terms internationally. Watch the DVD of Triumph the Insult Dog from Conan's old show where he lays in on the local french Canadians for being smug, arrogant, and out of touch with reality over separtism. Funny and sadly accurate...BTW I love Canada and Quebec and have family there and have visited several times but they really are the laughingstock of North America...
I'll say this much. I'm not french, I'm an anglophone, but you're generalizing. I know english people who want to seperate and french people who do not. To be honest, I don't want to at all, but if you knew the history of Quebec, you'd understand why they would want to. In simple terms, when canada was created they said "No thanks" and the other provinces replied "WELCOME TO CANADA!". That's a basic storyline.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 09:55 AM
CamFan81
Derp

pathetic team, fanbase and city

CamFan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 10:05 AM
Greyhounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I'll say this much. I'm not french, I'm an anglophone, but you're generalizing. I know english people who want to seperate and french people who do not. To be honest, I don't want to at all, but if you knew the history of Quebec, you'd understand why they would want to. In simple terms, when canada was created they said "No thanks" and the other provinces replied "WELCOME TO CANADA!". That's a basic storyline.
Montreal is quite a nice city, really.

I don't think people should get carried away with criticisms of the locals or the team. One of the things that makes the NHL great is the rivalry between Montreal and Boston. We rely on each other to provide thrills and excitement to hockey fans.

Sure there's a few goofballs in Montreal, and there's a few goofballs in Boston. They don't represent the population in general.

Greyhounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 10:44 AM
Latrappe
Selke winner

Quote:
I'm living in Montreal and i'm french speaking... It doesn't mean that i'm insulting people who doesn't speak french and/or who don't share the same opinion as me. Sorry to be rude, here, but this post is ignorant and clueless as it could be.

Last edited by Latrappe: 10-27-2011 at 10:50 AM.
Latrappe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 10:50 AM
Galchenfou

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8spokesontheB View Post
Wow. I totally thought this was over...it prolly is, and this is just being held up in a world of rouge tape...
I agree it last way too long but the only reason why it's still going is because we couldn't disturb Mr Chara while he was winning his Stanley Cup.

PS : Thank me for not complaining about the goal Pacioretty could have scored in game 7 even though I just did

Galchenfou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 10:51 AM
rudos1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latrappe View Post
I'm living in Montreal and i'm french speaking... It doesn't mean that i'm insulting people who doesn't speak french and/or who don't share the same opinion as me. Sorry to be rude, here, but this post is ignorant and clueless as it could be.
And hockey fans calling 911 over a hockey hit is what exactly if not ignorant and clueless, I can understand that my post is stereotyping but I don't think this view of that region by the rest of the US at least is that far off....

rudos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 10:56 AM
Galchenfou

Quote:
Here in quebec we laugh about old mentalities of rednecks in Texas that still allow capital punishment and marry their cousin, sure not funny of course, just stupid. I can already see you answering we don't know anything about Texas and what's going on there, and I would answer you back the same thing about Quebec.

Galchenfou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 10:57 AM
Latrappe
Selke winner

Quote:
And hockey fans calling 911 over a hockey hit is what exactly if not ignorant and clueless, I can understand that my post is stereotyping but I don't think this view of that region by the rest of the US at least is that far off....
So, you take a small sample and apply the whole thing on the majority? This is not " sound " thinking, IMHO. This kind of comments stir the spot and that's the only thing it does. You should have apply the " silence is golden " adage...

Latrappe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 10:58 AM
CamFan81
Derp

out of the cities ive gone to, montreal was by far the worse city as far as the locals attitude.
Now i will say, there are a certain type of people that go to montreal to party and act like a bunch of morons and im sure that gets old, fast, with the locals.

CamFan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 11:32 AM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamFan81 View Post
out of the cities ive gone to, montreal was by far the worse city as far as the locals attitude.
Now i will say, there are a certain type of people that go to montreal to party and act like a bunch of morons and im sure that gets old, fast, with the locals.
They're called college kids.

Montreal is a beautiful city. Would love to get back there in the near future.

Kate08 is offline   Reply With Quote