HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Kevyn Adams helping Pommer develop his faceoff skills.

Old
10-26-2011, 02:55 PM
joshjull

vCash: 500
Kevyn Adams helping Pommer develop his faceoff skills.

http://wgr550.com/Sabres-Pominville-...-offs/11304618

Quote:
The question is how did Pominville improve in such a short period of time? The winger said, I think the important thing is we talk about it. We go over tendencies of certain guys which Kevyn will have video of. When were practicing sometimes, Paul plays it like hes one of their players to help us out.

Adams said watching Pominville he decided it would be worth pursuing, Last year I noticed a couple of times Pommer being pretty good when hed go in just out of necessity and then we started talking about it, working with it and to his credit, he works almost every day on it, watches video on it and wants to learn more about it and hes done a real nice job. On that power play unit hes very important because you need to start with the puck.
Quote:
Pominville has improved his strength which according to Adams, improves your face-offs, Where hes improved so much is how strong his stick is. As a guy who didnt take a lot of draws, sometimes its a shock when you realize how heavy the guys sticks are and how strong the centermen are and I give Paul Gaustad a lot of credit on that too because he works with him and hell lean on him a little more to get him used to it, but we try to keep it simple, low, get their head in there across the dot as much as you can and the just get that mentality of battling.
Nice to see Adams having an impact.

I expect Pommer to keep improving at the dot. He is putting in a lot of work and video time on it. He also has two very good tutors to work with in Adams and Goose. If he keeps improving that will be a big bonus for the team down the road.

Last edited by joshjull: 10-26-2011 at 03:02 PM.
joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 03:34 PM
Mellifleur

Love this. Love that Pommer took the initiative to get better. I love that he wants to get better at a facet of the game that isn't showy, but will help him become a more complete player and help the team out immensely in an area of need is just wonderful. It's good personal growth and a sign of leadership, showing his desire to do whatever he can to help the team. One of the things I disliked about Connolly is that he was terrible at faceoffs and never worked on getting better. It's helpful he has good tutors in Adams and Goose. I wonder... how would Pominville fair with a transition to center ? Just a thought...

Mellifleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 03:38 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowOni View Post
Love this. Love that Pommer took the initiative to get better. I love that he wants to get better at a facet of the game that isn't showy, but will help him become a more complete player and help the team out immensely in an area of need is just wonderful. It's good personal growth and a sign of leadership, showing his desire to do whatever he can to help the team. One of the things I disliked about Connolly is that he was terrible at faceoffs and never worked on getting better. It's helpful he has good tutors in Adams and Goose. I wonder... how would Pominville fair with a transition to center ? Just a thought...
Its crossed my mind as well. But no need to go there at the moment with Adam still playing solid.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 03:49 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowOni View Post
He would pick up the defensive assignments in a heart beat but it would take away from his offense I'm sure.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 06:15 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

I have always wondered why Pominville hasn't been tried at center. Right now they're ok but if the Leino experiment doesn't work out, Hecht can't get all the way back and Adam's play falls off, I would love to see Pominville tried out at center. I would not be shocked to see all of those things become an issue and leave them very thin at center, Pominville seems to play the game of a centerman to a tee.

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 06:19 PM
gallagt01

I think it should be gearing up for a full-time switch. The guy is so defensively responsible. Not to mention he's a very underrated playmaker.

As long as Van and Poms remain linemates I don't really care.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 06:36 PM
Duddy
Everyday is

IMO, Poms should stay at RW as long as him and Vanek are on the same line anybody could center them and you still have a number 1 line.

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 06:37 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Vanek - Pominville - Stafford

Captain line.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 01:43 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
http://wgr550.com/Sabres-Pominville-...-offs/11304618

Nice to see Adams having an impact.

I expect Pommer to keep improving at the dot. He is putting in a lot of work and video time on it. He also has two very good tutors to work with in Adams and Goose. If he keeps improving that will be a big bonus for the team down the road.
Not to mention how Roy has improved there as well. 58% is well over his usual career mark.

10-27-2011, 03:41 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

Roy is winning 58% of his faceoffs this year? Nice.

SabresAreScaryGood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 04:21 PM
SoFFacet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
He would pick up the defensive assignments in a heart beat but it would take away from his offense I'm sure.
He already has plenty of the defensive assignments and half the faceoffs on that line. It says here that he's just as much the center of that line as Adam is.

SoFFacet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 04:46 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
I want to see a future : Vanek-Pominville-Kassian top line..

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 06:06 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

It certainly would help out the glut of RW's we have in the system and with the big club. And even more center depth, if only on an emergency basis.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 11:30 PM
Jeremy2020

That line seems to be working. Let's not mess with it until necessary.

Jeremy2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 12:05 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

It still boggles my mind that a mainstream media outlet could let a piece pass QR and get posted like this. Grammar, punctuation, and even spelling are way too frequently abysmal. It bothers me.

But yes, I think the difference is quite blatant in Poms. You see him approach each draw differently, depending on the opponent - which means research and film are definitely highly involved. Draws are huge, and the more able bodies we can have taking them (especially right handed bodies), the better off we will be. As is, he's the only righty who can take a draw for us, so him honing in on that area and making it a strong suit is awesome.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote