HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Will Any of these Nationalities ever Draft Higher?

Old
10-27-2011, 01:01 AM
Mc5RingsAndABeer
5-14-6-1

vCash: 97
Interesting thread. I think some of these will be beaten by random guys that show up. It really depends on how you classify people by nationality, because they will probably have to play in another country in order to get drafted high.

Mc5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 01:05 AM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by insider View Post
I'm ready to speculate that 2013 might just be the year.
Who?

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 01:06 AM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIHFjerseycollector View Post
and one from south africa and one from lebanon. so what?
Yeah? Who? Not in my list.

Old
10-27-2011, 01:38 AM
IIHFjerseycollector

Send a message via AIM to IIHFjerseycollector
olaf kolzig from south africa.. ed hatoum born in lebanon .but like many of the players that are listed , many of them are just dual nationals that acquired citizenship later on .for example #26 draft pick from Italy is Bob Manno who was born in Niagara Falls Canada...

IIHFjerseycollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 01:41 AM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Quote:
olaf kolzig from south africa.. ed hatoum born in lebanon .but like many of the players that are listed , many of them are just dual nationals that acquired citizenship later on .for example #26 draft pick from Italy is Bob Manno who was born in Niagara Falls Canada...
Exactly.. They represent a nationality rather than their birthplace.

Old
10-27-2011, 03:26 AM
Mikkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Rosbeef View Post
But if the true acid test isn't merely being 'born' in the UK but growing up, then there's only two names of interest: Tony Hand (EDM 252nd overall, 1986) who stayed in the UK for his whole career or Colin Shields (PHI 19th overall, 2000) who went down the NCAA route.

Shields was technically the highest but Tony Hand is a legend in British hockey - the Wayne Gretzky of our era. If you ever get 5 spare minutes, go read up on his story, it's very interesting and full of "what if?" moments...

So to in summary, I think your answer should be 195th for the UK. And yes, I believe it will one day be beaten, but most likely by a talented young UK player who has probably gone to North America to develop at a higher level than is available over here...
Isn't Colin Shields listed as from Scotland by the OP?

Mikkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 03:44 AM
Mikkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
Denmark 8th Overall - Possible. Improving nation development wise and had recent 1st round picks. But you need a super talent who is in the right time and the right place. I think one day it's likely, but difficult to project when.

France 19th Overall - Unlikely, but possible. Slovenia produced Kopitar, so basically random chance says it could happen. But don't expect it to ever happen.

Germany 3rd Overall (1963) otherwise 19th Overall - 3rd overall? Almost no chance. 19th? I guess, but the system seems to be stagnating, and i wouldn't say its very likely in the mid-term future.

Norway 42nd Overall - Possible. Markus Soberg 2013 seems highly promising. I'd be suprised if in ten years this isn't beat.

Slovakia 3rd Overall - Highly unlikely. Programme in decline, but even strong heatlhy Slovak system isn't likely to produce players to go this high.

Switzerland 5th Overall - Unlikely, as #5 is very very high.
I agree with most of your predictions, but I have a few comments:

As much as I like the prediction (I am Danish), it will be really difficult for a Dane to beat Mikkel Bødker's #8. It seems much, much more likely that Norway will have a first round talent (after all, Denmark has had 3, and the programs are relatively close in strengt). Same goes for Latvia (see: Girgensons) and Germany.

It seems like you rate France as high as Germany. I find that strange (but it is probably just your wording). Also, Germany has seen 7 players drafted during the past 2 drafts. I'm not quite as convinced that the program is in decline. Eventually a player will be drafted before #19.

Slovakia still produces great players, and we are much more likely to see the next top 10 pick from Slovakia than from Denmark. Eventually, although it's not a given he will be drafted higher than #3, a top prospect will come along as well.

As for Switzerland, Nino Niederreiter and Sven Bärtschi could both have gone higher than 5 (and that's just the past 2 years). Therefore I don't find it quite as unlikely as you.

Mikkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 03:51 AM
Jevo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
Who?
I guess he's referring to Nick Sörensen who plays for Quebec Ramparts right now. But I would call him Swedish more than Danish, since he has choosen to represent Sweden internationally.

Jevo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 03:52 AM
some1

From Poland, there is definitely no NHL talent. I'm living in Warsaw and there are no facilities whatsoever. Top Polish clubs are bankrupt so in 5 years I'd say there is definitely no chance.

And Wolski (no 21 in 2005) technically is Polish so maybe you could count him if I ask you nicely.

some1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 04:01 AM
alko

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
Pretty easy ....
Slovakia 3rd Overall - Highly unlikely. Programme in decline, but ...
Never say never. And it counts also for the other countries. Who know, what will be in a 10 years?

alko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 04:29 AM
Andy Dufresne

vCash: 700
Wouldn't this thread make a lot more sense if it was limited to guys who learned their hockey in whichever nation we're talking about, rather than guys like Kolzig whose family moved to BC when he was a kid? i.e Soberg next year, he might be playing in Sweden at a pretty young age but only because he's possibly the best Norwegian born and raised (to this point anyway) player ever. He needed better competition but he's a Norwegian hockey player.

Kolzig was a Canadian hockey player
Nolan was born in Ireland, he's not an Irish hockey player
Regehr was born in Brazil, how come Brazil's not on the list?

Which reminds me of the story of Richard Park, he's notable for being born in S.Korea, but even more notable was the fact that he was 1 of the first California kids destined for the NHL. He was so good at a time when hockey in California was in its infancy that he had to move to Canada.....not as a junior but to play midget in Toronto. Not that he was a high draft pick, but logically he should be considered an American hockey player, not a Canadian, and certainly not a Korean (hockey player).

Andy Dufresne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 04:49 AM
Muuri

Barkov probably would have been contender for the 2014 first overall pick, but he one week too old and will be in 2013 draft.

Muuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 04:49 AM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
+1 to Switzerland, Norway and Denmark, all up and coming hockey nations who have a good chance to produce some great talent in the future.

You should probably review your understanding of the word "higher."
Higher means having #1 again. Otherwise, what was the point in including them in the original post?

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 04:55 AM
Justice Beaver

Mathias Emilio Petterson could be the highest drafted Norwegian ever. You only have to wait till 2018 to see...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VckSnkJs5qA

Justice Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 05:00 AM
Le Rosbeef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikkel View Post
Isn't Colin Shields listed as from Scotland by the OP?
It looks like it.

In which case someone needs to learn some geography

The United Kingdom is England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Le Rosbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 05:14 AM
Pulkkinen
Elias Lindholm.

Send a message via MSN to Pulkkinen Send a message via Yahoo to Pulkkinen
Quote:
Ivan Gracia is about as close as it gets? or maybe that goalie you guys have playing in the french league( I think)
Ivan Gracias was the highest player we had. He played 17 games with Spokane, but then he returned to Spain. Some rumours about an interest from Minnesota when he was playing at WHL, but nothing serious. Now he's playing with Jaca, but i think he's injured or something, because he still doesn't played a single game.

The goalie in France is Ander Alcaine. He's now playing with Briançon after a superb showing at D1 with the Spanish National Team. He's 19, and i think that he's capable to do well in a better league, but North America is far away. Maybe our first goal is this, put players in better European league, and after that, try to accomplish better things.

I can throw some interesting names. Alejandro Pedraz ('90) played last year at KalPa U20 and now he's with 17 points in 6 games with Majadahonda. Oriol Boronat ('92) is another intriguing prospect. 11 points in 4 games with Barcelona and is a regular player with the Spanish National Team. Carlos Quevedo ('93) is now playing with Ilves U20. We are developing some good players, and it seems like ice hockey culture is increasing, but we are still far away to have a player at the NHL Draft.

Pulkkinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 05:30 AM
WeberStreit

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
He was actually born in Italy and then moved to Suiss. But in reality Northern Italians and Southern Suiss are basically the same people.
I'd still count him as a Swiss. I don't think he has the Italian citizienship.
But if you still count him as Italian, then Dany Heatley should be the highest drafted German...

WeberStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 05:48 AM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muuri View Post
Barkov probably would have been contender for the 2014 first overall pick, but he one week too old and will be in 2013 draft.
He is still contender for 1st overall contender. Like mackinnon they both are close to be 2014 draftee. I see barkov playing +20mins per game at fel. Barkov is already the best foward maybe best player of his team at fel. Last time i saw barkov he was atleast 6'3 i see him end as an 6'4-6'5 +200lbs at his draft. Haven't seen much mackinnon but mackinnon has great skillset, physicality and speed. Hard to see who is better. Mackinnon is clear #1 for north americans but Barkov has chance to prove that he's worthy of being contender. To me Barkov can steal the #1 position for him by good showings at wjc. Very early to Tell but it's crazy to drop barkov from 1st overall discussion.

thomast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 06:38 AM
thomast

Doublepost

thomast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 08:32 AM
Pietraneglo222

Quote:
and one from south africa and one from lebanon. so what?
I don't think anyone cares about south africa and lebanon...

Pietraneglo222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 10:51 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeberStreit View Post
I'd still count him as a Swiss. I don't think he has the Italian citizienship.
But if you still count him as Italian, then Dany Heatley should be the highest drafted German...
No I still count Sbisa as Suiss. I was just making an observation of a back story.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 10:53 AM
GM17*

Yes because there's an infinite amount of time for it to happen

GM17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 10:59 AM
Kiraly

Romania...

...Transylvania may produce an NHL draft caliber player.

Kiraly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 11:28 AM
Hennessy
Blank Space

vCash: 5855
Anything can happen. You discount Kopitar as a fluke, but it happened once and can happen again. Obviously not every nation on the list will see a higher draft position, but I'm willing to bet quite a few move up over the next couple of decades as programs develop or some youngster in Mongolia decides he wants to put that punk Gretzky in his place.

As for the debates on birthplace/nationality - in a list like this one it is just simpler to go by nationality. Too many guys are born one place and raised another, or move to North America at a young age, despite opting to play for their homeland.

Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 11:39 AM
kakemono

There are always anomalies that throw stuff like this off. Will any? Yes.

Which ones? I don't know - Vanek was mentioned as a weird situation because of moving to the USA to cultivate his skills. Who can really say? In the spirit of Cool Runnings - who is to say some kid from Jamaica doesn't move to Canada when he is 7/8 and end up going in the first round?

kakemono is offline   Reply With Quote