HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Perry Pearn fired

Old
10-27-2011, 11:09 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

vCash: 500
Gauthier's doing his best two step to cover his own @$$. His restructuring of the D is very questionable and his slight miscalculation of Markov's status is also questionable. He didn't prepare - plain and simple. I doubt Perry Pearn changed his coaching philosophy but the changes on D were numerous and those were all of Gauthier's decisions.

So by firing Pearn and spoon feeding some news about Markov he's deflecting attention from where it really belongs - himself. The noticeable difference in last night's game was Price effectively bailing out his D left and right. And Cole came to play.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 11:10 AM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
I suggest reading Chris Stevenson's article on SLAM about this. I pretty much agree with what he wrote.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL.../18883106.html
Great read!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't PG the General Manager of this team? Also, one of his duties as General Manager of this team is to overview the coaching department, he hires/fires/re-assigns coaches as part of his role as GM.

It's is prerogative to can the assistant if that's what he sees fit to do...again, I REALLY don't understand why this is such a big story. Also, PG gets knocked regularly for NOT ever explaining his decisions to the media/public...now he does, and everyone is questionning why he did?

That probably explains why he doesn't...because no matter what he does, he can't please everyone, so his focus should be staying true to himself and appeasing his superiors.
The big story is that Martin is STILL employed by the Habs and standing, scowling behind the bench while Pearn was sacrificed.

Last edited by Habsfan18: 10-27-2011 at 12:12 PM. Reason: merge
SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 11:16 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
Gauthier's doing his best two step to cover his own @$$. His restructuring of the D is very questionable and his slight miscalculation of Markov's status is also questionable. He didn't prepare - plain and simple. I doubt Perry Pearn changed his coaching philosophy but the changes on D were numerous and those were all of Gauthier's decisions.

So by firing Pearn and spoon feeding some news about Markov he's deflecting attention from where it really belongs - himself. The noticeable difference in last night's game was Price effectively bailing out his D left and right. And Cole came to play.
So it is logical for you to fire someone to deflect attention ?

The only answer: it was about time for him to go. He should had been fired last summer.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 11:24 AM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
So it is logical for you to fire someone to deflect attention ?

The only answer: it was about time for him to go. He should had been fired last summer.

Yes, this was all about deflecting attention off of PG and JM. That firing screams of "Look at me, I am doing something. I am on top of this. It's not me, its Perry Pearn."

To your last statement, I agree. Pearn was not the right person for this team. Same for Martin AND PG.

We are a team led by a "pretentious" and arrogant incompetent GM whose actions yesterday were "dishonorable" and weak. PG has never lied to me so I cannot call him a liar.

Pierre McGuire is an idiot. However, he described Gauthier quite accurately.

Old
10-27-2011, 11:29 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Pearn is a good coach and I feel bad for the guy. I really hope Goat's speech about "big changes incoming" and a "whole new way of running the club" are true. This firing, to me, is so typical of this entire administration (which started with Gainey...To me nothing has changed, Goat and Gainey switched places is all).

We make random moves that have strange timing and always seem to be "addition by subtraction". We fire a guy with nobody to really replace him, which means either he was the problem (doubtful) or they are looking for a scapegoat.

It upsets me because it just seems so unprofessional, given the timing of the move. I mean why fire the guy 10 minutes before a game? What were they waiting for? Obviously they had decided to do this beforehand, so why wait right before the start of a game? Pearn ran the practice in the morning! And if it was a decision made during the day, that's even WORSE to me. A spur of the moment decision to fire an asst coach?

I don't know. I don't think this will have any impact at all on the team or the way things are run. It just seems like a move made just to appease the fans who are out for blood. I am really starting to get sick of this Gainey-Gauthier era. Bizarre moves with strange timing from the get-go.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 11:40 AM
24Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
We make random moves that have strange timing and always seem to be "addition by subtraction". We fire a guy with nobody to really replace him, which means either he was the problem (doubtful) or they are looking for a scapegoat.
To my knowledge Gauthier does not have a history of making knee-jerk decisions. This was something that was brewing.

Mike Boone said on NHL radio today that Martin and Pearn were close and with the two Randy's the Habs now had one more assistant coach than they had last year. Pearn might have been headed out the door before the season and Martin lobbied hard to keep him. A message to Martin now is that until he rights the ship, his favor among senior management is wearing thin.

24Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 11:43 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
If it isn't a big deal, then why did Pierre Gauthier decide yesterday was a good time to meet the media (which he rarely does)?

It just seemed like Pearn is being made to be the scapegoat, which is unfair as PG and JM are in charge.
People in Montreal think so little of Gauthier that they're unable to properly assess or evaluate his moves. They just don't like him, for whatever reason.

Instead of being happy that Gauthier finally forced a decision and put in a man that actually was a Defenseman in the NHL for almost 1000 games, people will call him gutless and dishonorable for letting go of Perry Pearn. We all remember how many times Pearn was praised here right?....

This season is really showing me how ignorant and stupid some people that are supposed to know hockey actually are.

Maybe Pearn is indeed a scapegoat (like many other coaches have been before). But really, who cares? Was he doing a good job?? Clearly not. So what's the problem? Martin needed to be gone as well? Okay, maybe he will if things don't improve.
Gauthier needs to be moved? Okay, but that's Molson's job.

People just like to whine here, it's seriously pathetic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Pearn is a good coach and I feel bad for the guy. I really hope Goat's speech about "big changes incoming" and a "whole new way of running the club" are true. This firing, to me, is so typical of this entire administration (which started with Gainey...To me nothing has changed, Goat and Gainey switched places is all).

It upsets me because it just seems so unprofessional, given the timing of the move. I mean why fire the guy 10 minutes before a game? What were they waiting for? Obviously they had decided to do this beforehand, so why wait right before the start of a game? Pearn ran the practice in the morning! And if it was a decision made during the day, that's even WORSE to me. A spur of the moment decision to fire an asst coach?

I don't know. I don't think this will have any impact at all on the team or the way things are run. It just seems like a move made just to appease the fans who are out for blood. I am really starting to get sick of this Gainey-Gauthier era. Bizarre moves with strange timing from the get-go.
Or maybe Gauthier feels it is important to have an ex-defenseman in charge of running the defense.
Nahhh, that would actually make sense, and Gauthier doesn't have any common sense.

Maybe he waited for before the game because he wanted to whip his boys and catch them by surprise.
Nahhhh....Gauthier is just unprofessional, was lazy, and it came to him on a whim. Probably woke up from his 7 hour nap, dreamed of a Habs winning the Cup, didn't see Pearn in his dream, and so, when he woke up one hour before the game, he knew what to do.

Last edited by Habsfan18: 10-27-2011 at 12:13 PM. Reason: merge
Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 11:51 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
People in Montreal think so little of Gauthier that they're unable to properly assess or evaluate his moves. They just don't like him, for whatever reason.

Instead of being happy that Gauthier finally forced a decision and put in a man that actually was a Defenseman in the NHL for almost 1000 games, people will call him gutless and dishonorable for letting go of Perry Pearn. We all remember how many times Pearn was praised here right?....

This season is really showing me how ignorant and stupid some people that are supposed to know hockey actually are.

Maybe Pearn is indeed a scapegoat (like many other coaches have been before). But really, who cares? Was he doing a good job?? Clearly not. So what's the problem? Martin needed to be gone as well? Okay, maybe he will if things don't improve.
Gauthier needs to be moved? Okay, but that's Molson's job.

People just like to whine here, it's seriously pathetic.
Pretty much agree with you. People like to portray Pearn as a scapegoat because it furthers their "Martin is the root of all evil" agenda. Was Pearn not part of the problem? A large part of his duties are the special teams and the defense, both of which have been terrible so far. So...what's the issue here?

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 11:53 AM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
Why do people want Gauthier fired so much?

I think he did very good at managing the team since he came over.

I've heard people say he has no balls and he's way too conservative, which is exactly what he's not. It takes balls to trade Halak right after his all-star playoffs performance.

Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 12:01 PM
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"

Quote:

You really think that PG didn't call Markov and Dr. James Andrews? How do you know he didn't prepare?..I put money on it that PG did prepare. Just because something doesn't go right doesn't mean it was due to being unprepared. It's life **** happens!!.

No by firing Pearn it makes our powerplay better, because every damn team he's coached has had terrible special teams..Guess who was in charge??? Pearn. Give me a break he had to go

By the way price only had to make 3 or 4 pretty good saves. He didn't "BAIL" his team out. Did you watch the game at all? If you are speaking purely on the 1st period then I agree.

Jmac1160* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 12:32 PM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac1160 View Post
You really think that PG didn't call Markov and Dr. James Andrews? How do you know he didn't prepare?..I put money on it that PG did prepare. Just because something doesn't go right doesn't mean it was due to being unprepared. It's life **** happens!!.

No by firing Pearn it makes our powerplay better, because every damn team he's coached has had terrible special teams..Guess who was in charge??? Pearn. Give me a break he had to go

By the way price only had to make 3 or 4 pretty good saves. He didn't "BAIL" his team out. Did you watch the game at all? If you are speaking purely on the 1st period then I agree.
Where did I say that? And by prepared I mean getting a another top 4 d-man on this team. And that opportunity PG had.

2009 - 2010
PP: 2nd
PK: 12th

2010 - 2011
PP: 7th
PK: 7th

2011 - 2012
PP: Crap
PK: Crap

Now what changed the most? The coaching of those units or the players involved? I say the players involved. Who's responsibility is it to put the players on the ice?

Price - well now. Three or four good saves could make the difference, no? Did you watch the game at all? I saw a breakaway in the third - no? You could be right though. Maybe it wasn't just Price. I'll give some credit to the crossbar, left post and right post too.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 01:06 PM
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"

Quote:
Where did I say that? And by prepared I mean getting a another top 4 d-man on this team. And that opportunity PG had.

2009 - 2010
PP: 2nd
PK: 12th

2010 - 2011
PP: 7th
PK: 7th

2011 - 2012
PP: Crap
PK: Crap

Now what changed the most? The coaching of those units or the players involved? I say the players involved. Who's responsibility is it to put the players on the ice?

Price - well now. Three or four good saves could make the difference, no? Did you watch the game at all? I saw a breakaway in the third - no? You could be right though. Maybe it wasn't just Price. I'll give some credit to the crossbar, left post and right post too.
Price just did his job plain and simple. He didn't stand on his head by any means what so ever. Our D was pretty solid after the 1st. And its not that easy to get a top 4 dman as you think it is. Look at the trades in the last yr for top 4 dmen. Look what the teams had to give up. Its kinda crazy to be honest. The good thing about all of this is that our young D prospects are going to greatly improve and the sky is the limit for them. They can only get better.

And those last few years you mentioned with out special teams...wasn't Muller in charge of that?

Jmac1160* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 01:20 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb View Post

I've heard people say he has no balls and he's way too conservative, which is exactly what he's not. It takes balls to trade Halak right after his all-star playoffs performance.

Tonight, take a look at the team we will have on the ice. Then ask yourself, is this the best team that we could have on the ice? Take into consideration that Gauthier was sitting on millions of dollars of cap money as well.

Next, take a look at the bench. Look at who is standing behind the players. And then think of who is his boss. Yep, JM and PG.

Finally, look at the trades PG has made and what we have to show for them.

And ask yourself if the Montreal Canadiens will be competing for a Cup this year. If not, why not? Accountability has to end up somewhere. In most professional sports organizations, it usually points to the GM. .

Old
10-27-2011, 01:27 PM
Andy

Quote:

Agreed 100%.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 01:38 PM
Lafleurs Guy

I can't help but wonder if there was something behind the scenes going on that precipitated the firing. I mean, why now? Why 90 minutes before game time? I just seems like something was going on that we don't really know about. All we can do is speculate and to be honest, this is such a minor move that I don't think it warrants the kind of air time it's getting.
Quote:

I haven't seen enough of him to vote hard one way or the other.

I agree on the Halak move. Although I thought we probably should've got more for him at least PG had the guts to get a prospect. And the Wiz move would've panned out a heck of a lot better if the guy didn't get stupidly greedy and go to Siberia for the almighty paycheck.

That being said though, the Cole signing to me was more of the same that we've seen in recent years. Yeah, Cole at least has some size and grit but he's still a tier 2 over the hill guy that we overpaid for and that move just reeks of us continuing to pursue short term gains and mediocrity instead of future building. We've also been dealing away draft picks and I don't like to see this.

I don't think he's nearly as bad or as good as some posters make him out to be. My opinion on him isn't firm yet. I am skeptical though that he will rebuild and that's what I think this club really needs.

Last edited by Lafleurs Guy: 10-27-2011 at 01:43 PM.
Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 01:51 PM
BobbyFischer*

I gotta say.. Gauthier sounds like a very very smart man.

BobbyFischer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Right because the team is at the bottom of the league and the only change made is to fire Perry Pearn. What are we supposed to talk about? The game yesterday has a huge thread about it and the other news of the day was one of the coaches getting fired. Not sure why you find it funny people are talking about it considering the circumstances.
There's plenty to talk about...but media/fans in the NHL aren't interested in talking about what's actually wrong with the team, they'd rather sensationalise a pretty insignificant administrative reshuffling and try to make spin some deeper, twisted meaning to it.

I get it, it sells...it's just not my cup of tea

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
When you are a sports team is in the midst of its worst start in 70+ years and your normally media absent GM calls a press conference 60 minutes before a game to announce the firing of the assistant coach that lead the morning practice that same day ... it makes that relevant and newsworthy. It could have been the equipment manager that got fired, it would have still been poignant and talked about, the timing (both in the historical context and in the 60 minutes before a game context) is what makes it so interesting.
Well to each his own I guess...like I said earlier, I cared about Pearn getting canned for about 2.5 seconds.

He's not the head coach, I don't notice him during the games nor can I quantify his impact on the team in any which way. I just see it as an administrative shuffle. Like in football when a struggling offense decides to fire it's offensive coordinator, it happens all the time, but at least in football, I think it's noteworthy...

It's only in Montreal would a GM have to hold a press conference to make this type of announcement...

Also, Pearn's dismissal wasn't the only thing PG discussed btw

Last edited by Habsfan18: 10-27-2011 at 02:17 PM. Reason: merge
417 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 03:47 PM
HomaridII

ANybody listening to team 990 now? APparently Mcguire is really ripping the Habs

mckennaconor Conor McKenna
McGuire harshing up the #habs pretty good right now on TSN 990

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 03:51 PM

Send a message via MSN to 2112
Quote:
ANybody listening to team 990 now? APparently Mcguire is really ripping the Habs

McGuire saying PG's press conference last night was not well received by other execs around the league? How well are firing press conferences supposed to be received?

2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 03:52 PM
TheBuriedHab

Quote:

Mcguire is so bitter that PG is the gm. Its sad to see him act and sound so childish on air.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 03:59 PM
Habit11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuriedHab View Post
Mcguire is so bitter that PG is the gm. Its sad to see him act and sound so childish on air.
PG fired PM in Ottawa, so there may be some hard feelings there. He wasn't too far off base in his many rants today, but I don't like how he criticized PG about not rebuilding the defence in the off season, when PM himself has said on Melnick's show that he liked what PG did with the defence prior to the season starting.

Habit11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 04:01 PM
Ross MacLochness

I never saw the memo that assistant coaches are immune to criticism and terminations. If head coaches can be fired while their assistant stays (Carbo-Muller) then why the hell is it such a big deal that the opposite happens?

To me Pearn was just a Martin clone. I have no idea about his skill as a coach but from an outside perspective the bench needs a little more fire and passion than Perry Pearn. I remember Ranger fans couldn't stand him while he was there.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 04:09 PM
TheBuriedHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habit11 View Post
PG fired PM in Ottawa, so there may be some hard feelings there. He wasn't too far off base in his many rants today, but I don't like how he criticized PG about not rebuilding the defence in the off season, when PM himself has said on Melnick's show that he liked what PG did with the defence prior to the season starting.
Its funny that Melnick never replays audio clips to catch Mcguire in his flip flopping opinions yet he has no problem replaying old clips of JM and PG to fuel Mcguire's argument.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 04:14 PM
Habit11

Quote:
Its funny that Melnick never replays audio clips to catch Mcguire in his flip flopping opinions yet he has no problem replaying old clips of JM and PG to fuel Mcguire's argument.
I also thought it was funny when McGuire said the PR department should put a muzzle on PG. If there is anyone on the planet who needs a muzzle...

Habit11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 04:25 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Quote:
I actually tend to agree with him. The Ghost never speaks & when he does he talks to us like were below him & feeds us B.S.

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote