HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Perry Pearn fired

Old
10-27-2011, 11:00 PM
Iwishihadacup

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
I don't know on what set you watched the game but the Habs didn't humble the Bruins. We won but we humbled no one.
it would have been a shutout if that fluky goal didnt happen

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 11:04 PM
JackieChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
it would have been a shutout if that fluky goal didnt happen
We won fair and square, but they had chances. Taking into account every ifs and buts, the score remains the same imho.

JackieChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 11:52 PM
viceroy

Did anyone ready yesterday's La Presse?

There was an interesting article about the fact that Kirk Muller intensely disliked Perry Pearn's aloof coaching style. To the point that there came a point when one of the two had to be picked to stay and Martin chose his old buddy and simulacrum Pearn.

It even alludes to the fact that Muller might have been willing to stay on if not for Pearn. In addition Pierre Gauthier seemed unwilling to answer any questions about Muller and Pearn's disagreements.

viceroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 09:35 AM
Darth Joker

Maybe Perry Pearn really was part of the problem.

Yes, it's only two games, and it's conceivable that an assistant coach being fired could spark a team, but there's two key things I noticed in the last two games that set them apart from a lot of other games...

1) Lines are much more stable, and sensible. Perhaps most importantly, Cole is getting the ice time and use that he should be getting. He's been vastly better the last two games than all the ones previous to it.

2) The Habs are playing with more of a forecheck/puck control style now then before. I think that's a better style for our current personnel than a more defensive "rope-a-dope" system like we've utilized in recent seasons.

Darth Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 09:55 AM
BLONG7

I was hoping JM got moved upstairs, and Muller was kept and promoted to head coach...I think he is one of those coaches, that the players would take a bullet for...

Getting rid of Pearn is definitely a message to JM...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 09:59 AM
habsfan92

I am still a little confused as to what is going on. I was under the assumption that the head coach dictates what style of play is implimented. He doesn't give carte blanche to his assistant to do whatever he pleases. If he doesn't like what is going on, he would have his ass't make changes. MTL plays terrible and passive, the ass't coach gets fired, then MTL completely changes their style to aggressive forecheck & they even got a clean break away when Cammalleri cheats up ice. I can't even remember the last time I saw MTL do that! Was this ass't coach running the bench & style of play? What does JM do then? I find this whole thing very unusual.

habsfan92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 10:01 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan92 View Post
I am still a little confused as to what is going on. I was under the assumption that the head coach dictates what style of play is implimented. He doesn't give carte blanche to his assistant to do whatever he pleases. If he doesn't like what is going on, he would have his ass't make changes. MTL plays terrible and passive, the ass't coach gets fired, then MTL completely changes their style to aggressive forecheck & they even got a clean break away when Cammalleri cheats up ice. I can't even remember the last time I saw MTL do that! Was this ass't coach running the bench & style of play? What does JM do then? I find this whole thing very unusual.
JM is his own secretary, he keeps excellent game notes...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 10:02 AM
habsfan92

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
I was hoping JM got moved upstairs, and Muller was kept and promoted to head coach...I think he is one of those coaches, that the players would take a bullet for...

Getting rid of Pearn is definitely a message to JM...
That is exactly what I thought they would do. JM upstairs to help PG, & Muller-who everybody speaks highly of- would run his own program.
A mistake they didn't I think.

habsfan92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 10:08 AM
buddahsmoka1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Joker View Post

Yes, it's only two games, and it's conceivable that an assistant coach being fired could spark a team, but there's two key things I noticed in the last two games that set them apart from a lot of other games...

1) Lines are much more stable, and sensible. Perhaps most importantly, Cole is getting the ice time and use that he should be getting. He's been vastly better the last two games than all the ones previous to it.

2) The Habs are playing with more of a forecheck/puck control style now then before. I think that's a better style for our current personnel than a more defensive "rope-a-dope" system like we've utilized in recent seasons.
You can add another one:

3) Protecting Price and boxing out the front of the net much better.

The last two games have been night and day compared to the rest of the season.

buddahsmoka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 10:33 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
I don't know on what set you watched the game but the Habs didn't humble the Bruins. We won but we humbled no one.
My TV set was probably tuned to the same video as yours but I didn't doze off. What's more, I still know how to count. Are you unable to deal with single-digit numbers without a calculator? The well-rested home teams scored ONE goal between them unless you count Plekanec's on Price while the Habs scored seven against the #1 goaltenders of each opponent. Do you consider the 9-8 loss to Winnipeg or the 5-1 loss to Montréal more humbling? How about the quasi-shutout suffered by the Bruins? Get back to me when you're fully awake and have found the calculator that was buried behind the sofa cushions along with the pizza crust crumbs and the empty Molson bottles.

By the way, stop saying "We." You didn't win a thing.

Last edited by Teufelsdreck: 10-28-2011 at 10:42 AM.
Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 10:36 AM
habitue*

Quote:

He was obviously not part of the solution.

Clever little moves by PG since Sunday. Acquiring a center for the 4th line and promoting Blunden. Sending down two useless players (Engqvist and Palusahj), getting rid of one assistant (the head coach best buddy) and bringing behind the bench one that was wasting his time up in the press box.

+ as a bonus: Gomez getting injured.

If he could add a real big stud on the 4th, and maybe one on D, this team would be quite awesome.

Last edited by habitue*: 10-28-2011 at 10:46 AM.
habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 10:42 AM
Miller Time

Quote:

maybe I'm missing something, but since when is the assistant coach responsible for line combinations and style of game the team plays?

add to that it's obvious that JM delegates much of the in-game communication to other coaches, and I wonder what you think he does back there?

and if your suggesting that the firing, against JM's wishes, "scared" him into changing up his approach, well, why in the world would PG have kept him in there? only thing worse than a stubborn coach is a castrated one...

also, while i didn't watch the Bruins game, in the Flyers game the lines flip-flopped quite a bit from the 1st to the 2nd iirc.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 11:32 AM
Cookie007

Things Noticed Since Pearn's Firing

So we all know that Perry was in charge of our special teams and defensive assignment. He was also the closest to Jack Martin so Jack listen to him the most out of all the assistant coaches.

Here's what I've noticed since the firing...

- Spacek and Weber has become our 2nd defense pairing while Gill-Diaz has slipped to 3rd pair minutes. Spacek and Weber has responded very well to the increase in minutes while Diaz looks good in the limited ice time. Gill is still struggling out there (getting his jock strap turn inside out by Jagr)

- We're playing more of a 2-1-2 fore-check instead of the 1-2-2. Notice how yesterday, Plekanec and Gionta were swarming the Bruins defense and all the Bruins could do was ice the puck. This happen throughout the game, even when we were leading or trailing.

- Certain players has stepped up their game including Price, Cole, DD, Weber, Spacek. (not sure if its all related to Pearn).

- Our PP has only scored 1 goal but we look more of a threat on the PP, while our PK has been rock solid except for the blunder by Price last night.

- There's now actually some protection for Price whenever the opponent decides to crash the net. (Cole and Weber protecting the net from Giroux vs Philly and all 5 guys protecting Price near the end of the game vs the Bruins).

- Faceoff has improved drastically, Nokie, Pleks, DD and Eller all 50% or above last night.

I just hope we continue to play the same way we do, keep being aggressive on the fore-check and never stop attacking even though we are leading. (I remember last year, everytime RDS would interview Kirk Muller between periods, he would say how the team has to continue skating, being aggressive and attack, but we would only see a passive team protecting the lead. Perhaps Pearn had more of an influence on Martin and Jack would listen to Perry more than Kirk)?

GO HABS GO!

Cookie007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 11:36 AM
Bloumeister
Party like it's 1984

What I noticed:

- Habs won against Flyers

- Habs won against Bruins

- Jacques Martin looks sad without his friend

Bloumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 11:36 AM
Lafleurs Guy

I've noticed that he's no longer behind the bench.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 11:38 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie007 View Post
So we all know that Perry was in charge of our special teams and defensive assignment. He was also the closest to Jack Martin so Jack listen to him the most out of all the assistant coaches.

Here's what I've noticed since the firing...

- Spacek and Weber has become our 2nd defense pairing while Gill-Diaz has slipped to 3rd pair minutes. Spacek and Weber has responded very well to the increase in minutes while Diaz looks good in the limited ice time. Gill is still struggling out there (getting his jock strap turn inside out by Jagr)

- We're playing more of a 2-1-2 fore-check instead of the 1-2-2. Notice how yesterday, Plekanec and Gionta were swarming the Bruins defense and all the Bruins could do was ice the puck. This happen throughout the game, even when we were leading or trailing.

- Certain players has stepped up their game including Price, Cole, DD, Weber, Spacek. (not sure if its all related to Pearn).

- Our PP has only scored 1 goal but we look more of a threat on the PP, while our PK has been rock solid except for the blunder by Price last night.

- There's now actually some protection for Price whenever the opponent decides to crash the net. (Cole and Weber protecting the net from Giroux vs Philly and all 5 guys protecting Price near the end of the game vs the Bruins).

- Faceoff has improved drastically, Nokie, Pleks, DD and Eller all 50% or above last night.

I just hope we continue to play the same way we do, keep being aggressive on the fore-check and never stop attacking even though we are leading. (I remember last year, everytime RDS would interview Kirk Muller between periods, he would say how the team has to continue skating, being aggressive and attack, but we would only see a passive team protecting the lead. Perhaps Pearn had more of an influence on Martin and Jack would listen to Perry more than Kirk)?

GO HABS GO!
I doubt they made huge tactical changes in the 90 minutes between the firing and the game...they haven't even had a practise since Pearn has been gone...it was definitely a wake up call, in terms of playing style nothing looks that different to me, Price is stopping more shots for sure.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 11:39 AM
nodice
Registered Lurker

this thread will be much more relevant if these trends continue for 5-10 more games, but i do see positive trends, it is tough to say it isnt just better execution at this point, excluding the forecheck, im just loving that

nodice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 02:58 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloumeister View Post
What I noticed:

Old
10-29-2011, 01:26 PM
SB164

ArponBasu Arpon Basu
#Habs new division of coaching labour is Ladouceur handles PK, Cunneyworth does PP. Pearn oversaw both before he was fired.

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 01:28 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
ArponBasu Arpon Basu
#Habs new division of coaching labour is Ladouceur handles PK, Cunneyworth does PP. Pearn oversaw both before he was fired.
That makes more sense.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 01:31 PM
Jesse Pinkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloumeister View Post
What I noticed:

Jesse Pinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 11:04 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
In the end, Perry Pearn didn't have to pay for what was happening. But as of now, and from what we hear and see, if that firing made Randy Ladouceur come behind the bench....that could end up being Gauthier's best move of the year....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 11:14 PM
Miller Time

CBC hotstove re-affirming my initial reaction to the decision... classless (at least as viewed from people around the league... "experts" as opposed to just us fans).

but hey, 3 wins in a row, so who needs class anyways

Old
10-29-2011, 11:23 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
CBC hotstove re-affirming my initial reaction to the decision... classless (at least as viewed from people around the league... "experts" as opposed to just us fans).

but hey, 3 wins in a row, so who needs class anyways
I prefer winning to class, especially when you have lots of class already and desperately need wins.

It'll be hard to criticize the decision if it marks the turning point of Montreal's season, regardless of class and/or whether it made logical sense. I'm going with the hockey gods being pleased with the sacrifice.

Talks to Goalposts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 11:38 PM
teh doors
worst habs poster

I don't have anything important to say, other than the name "Randy" is hilarious. And every time I read "the Randy's" on this site I cant stop laughing.

teh doors is offline   Reply With Quote