HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Perry Pearn fired

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-30-2011, 11:58 AM
  #351
HabsSlappy
Registered User
 
HabsSlappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,132
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
Why is it classless? The D sucked. The special teams sucked. Both of which Pearn was apparently responsible for.
Completely agree...the guy responsible for our horrible defensive play and bottom of the league PP and PK was let go. Doesn't seem that classless to me!

HabsSlappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 02:31 PM
  #352
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger
 
MasterDecoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beijing
Posts: 12,477
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsSlappy View Post
Completely agree...the guy responsible for our horrible defensive play and bottom of the league PP and PK was let go. Doesn't seem that classless to me!
it's how he was fired that was classless. i said in another thread that if the pp and pk sucked, that martin had to man up and fire the man responsible for it - pearn - or he himself should get the ax.

pg did him a favor really

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 02:57 PM
  #353
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 20,712
vCash: 500
the amount of vitriol the Habs organization is getting for this move is ridiculous

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 02:59 PM
  #354
Mike Vernon*
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 805
vCash: 500
absolute disgrace how they went about it

Mike Vernon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 03:05 PM
  #355
HabsSlappy
Registered User
 
HabsSlappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,132
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsinbin View Post
absolute disgrace how they went about it
What were they supposed to do, send him flowers and ask him to still be friends? Just because they fired him before a game?

I am sorry but I have seen people in the real world fired in much more ruthless ways.

PG did it most likely because Martin wasn't willing to do what was necessary.

My guess is that management asked JM what the issues were and it came out that Pearn was in charge of the areas that there were issues. Because of their friendship, JM likely didn't want to do it himself. So our GM stepped up and showed some stones to get the team on track.

Maybe we can hold a candle light vigil for everyone that feels bad for him, but I won't show up.

HabsSlappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 04:34 PM
  #356
Mike Vernon*
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 805
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsSlappy View Post
What were they supposed to do, send him flowers and ask him to still be friends? Just because they fired him before a game?

I am sorry but I have seen people in the real world fired in much more ruthless ways.

PG did it most likely because Martin wasn't willing to do what was necessary.

My guess is that management asked JM what the issues were and it came out that Pearn was in charge of the areas that there were issues. Because of their friendship, JM likely didn't want to do it himself. So our GM stepped up and showed some stones to get the team on track.

Maybe we can hold a candle light vigil for everyone that feels bad for him, but I won't show up.
I dont care what you or anyone says, it was classless

Mike Vernon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 04:40 PM
  #357
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsinbin View Post
I dont care what you or anyone says, it was classless
You don't care about the truth you'll believe the fairytale.

It's business dude. The guy was responsible for all the parts of the team that were struggling most. We went on a 3 game tear after he got fired. Business.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 04:45 PM
  #358
Mike Vernon*
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 805
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
You don't care about the truth you'll believe the fairytale.

It's business dude. The guy was responsible for all the parts of the team that were struggling most. We went on a 3 game tear after he got fired. Business.
No.

I believe in what I think, my opinion. I see no reason for smart mouth comments because of it.

Mike Vernon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 04:49 PM
  #359
BLONG7
Registered User
 
BLONG7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 13,723
vCash: 500
The Leafs cleaned house this summer on all their asst's and almost no one noticed...our special teams sucked, Perry was the guy...

They shouldn't have canned him 2 hours before the game, but hey the results seem to have been better. JM is the next to go if things don't continue to go well.

Glad to see the 2 Randy's talking it up behind the bench with the guys, instead of them all getting the notebook silent treatment...man I miss Muller...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 05:07 PM
  #360
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,583
vCash: 500
I quickly read most of this thread, and I think some of you are completely missing the story of Perry departure.

This isn't about Perry! This is about Jacques Martin.

Perry is JM old buddy, he's been following him in the league. Gauthier firing him is a direct message toward JM (who wasn't hired by Gauthier).

By putting the Randys there, he is basically telling him: "your days are now counted. I'm going to keep you as long as it benefits me, but already I have two guys (MY guys) working with you and able to take your job any day."

In fact I wouldn't be surprised if Gauthier already made the decision to fire JM, and is only waiting for the right moment to do it. Ideally: 1) The team must not be doing good and 2) After having made an important trade, in order to give the new coach some breathing room.

Basically, Gauthier fired Perry because this gives him even more buffer zone between the team's performance and his own head. Cause when he'll fire JM and if it doesn't work out, he knows his head is next.

So, sucks for Perry. He's a pawn. But that's something you got to accept when you play with the big boys. Also, it doesn't mean that Gauthier is some evil mastermind. He just plays his own game quite well.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 05:21 PM
  #361
habfaninvictoria
Registered User
 
habfaninvictoria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Victoria BC
Posts: 1,785
vCash: 500
PG probably would have fired JM if:

a/ this were next year
b/ he had someone lined up to take the gig

The way this was handle was bad, but, we're not in the room and don't know all that goes on. Maybe because of Pearn's relationship with JM he was able to have too much input. Maybe the vets couldn't take it anymore and went to PG.

Bottom line is that we're winning again, so it couldn't have been that terrible a move. If we had lost 2 of the last 3 games I think JM would be gone too.

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 05:23 PM
  #362
buddahsmoka1
Registered User
 
buddahsmoka1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: México, D.F.
Country: Mexico
Posts: 25,057
vCash: 500
I don't understand when getting fired and its proximity to game time really have any difference on the "class" of a move.

What difference does it make?

buddahsmoka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 05:55 PM
  #363
WhiskeySeven*
Founded: BargainBin
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 18,598
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsinbin View Post
absolute disgrace how they went about it
Explain yourself, why?

The way I see it: it'd be worse to fire Martin because he stepped down as a GM to become a coach, accomplished more in the POs than 80% of the league and it had only been a 5 game slide.

Why is it disgraceful to fire a random assistant head coach?

WhiskeySeven* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 06:18 PM
  #364
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 27,053
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
I don't understand when getting fired and its proximity to game time really have any difference on the "class" of a move.

What difference does it make?
There is no difference at all. People are simply doing what they do best here in Mtl, whine.
I don't remember reading one good thing about Perry Pearn since he's been here, and now, because most people were likely hoping for Martin (or Gauthier) to get fired, they will lash out at our GM for firing a man nobody even liked.

It's pathetic. Habs fans this year have been worse than ever.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 06:25 PM
  #365
Mike Vernon*
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 805
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Explain yourself, why?

The way I see it: it'd be worse to fire Martin because he stepped down as a GM to become a coach, accomplished more in the POs than 80% of the league and it had only been a 5 game slide.

Why is it disgraceful to fire a random assistant head coach?
okay did you see the clips that most sports shows do in regards to this topic and how 98% of them believe it was classless? Or better yet, what the hot stove panel said last night? I agree with all of them.

Im not a whiny habs fan at all. I think it's classless. I can go the other way too. I think the Chara hit on pac was a beauty and as clean as could be. I think subban diving is a disgrace and he should knock it off. But in this case, management handled it wrong for the same reasons everyone else is suggesting, except from habs fans who defend it.

In regards to the whiny thing, i actually think the people who are defending it are whining by saying everyone else in the hockey world is wrong. So I guess the views go two ways here.

this post may not go over well with some but what can ya do?

Mike Vernon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 06:28 PM
  #366
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,008
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
I don't understand when getting fired and its proximity to game time really have any difference on the "class" of a move.

What difference does it make?
It comes across as being a hasty and rash decision. It also comes across as showing very little respect to Pearn.

To the average person, it appears that something happened before game time that caused PG to act. For if it wasnt, why the need to fire him at that point in time? Could it have waited until the morning?

Pearn was not the reason we were winning or losing. He is but an assistant coach who still has to answer to Martin. In hockey, in business and in life, respect is earned and displayed. PP was not shown respect.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 06:32 PM
  #367
overlords
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
 
overlords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 26,460
vCash: 500
Probably not new, but I just saw on RDS that pearn got a contract extension 3 weeks before being fired.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 06:32 PM
  #368
DaSystem
Registered User
 
DaSystem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,632
vCash: 500
This has got to be the least important thing people are complaining about since Clinton got that *******.

DaSystem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 06:36 PM
  #369
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,008
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Probably not new, but I just saw on RDS that pearn got a contract extension 3 weeks before being fired.
The answer to our problems.........offer Gomez a contract extension.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 06:39 PM
  #370
Roulin
Registered User
 
Roulin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfGom View Post
This has got to be the least important thing people are complaining about since Clinton got that *******.
Agreed.

All due respect to Pearn and anyone who has worked their way up to the NHL. However, there are many very knowledgeable, competent coaches out there. The difference between one qualified NHL assistant coach and another, I'm guessing is worth a small fraction of a win per season.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 06:44 PM
  #371
Bill McNeal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,657
vCash: 50
Ironically, a lot of the people complaining are advocates of doing something far less 'classy', ie firing Martin after less than a dozen games following two seasons of making the playoffs.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 06:50 PM
  #372
number72
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,893
vCash: 500
I think we need to fire another assistant coach when we get our next loss.
This puts good pressure on JM to perform.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 06:54 PM
  #373
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,008
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal View Post
Ironically, a lot of the people complaining are advocates of doing something far less 'classy', ie firing Martin after less than a dozen games following two seasons of making the playoffs.
Your comprehension skills need a little polishing.

Its not that Perry Pearn was fired.

Its that Perry Pearn was fired shortly before a game started (but was offered another job in the organization--------he sucks but not that much).

Repeat that to yourself until it sinks in. Thanks.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 06:56 PM
  #374
WhiskeySeven*
Founded: BargainBin
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 18,598
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsinbin View Post
okay did you see the clips that most sports shows do in regards to this topic and how 98% of them believe it was classless? Or better yet, what the hot stove panel said last night? I agree with all of them.

Im not a whiny habs fan at all. I think it's classless. I can go the other way too. I think the Chara hit on pac was a beauty and as clean as could be. I think subban diving is a disgrace and he should knock it off. But in this case, management handled it wrong for the same reasons everyone else is suggesting, except from habs fans who defend it.

In regards to the whiny thing, i actually think the people who are defending it are whining by saying everyone else in the hockey world is wrong. So I guess the views go two ways here.

this post may not go over well with some but what can ya do?
Ok, you're just regurgitating what the media is saying. What do YOU think or figure that the Pearn firing was disgraceful, classless, or anything else? What basis do you have for that?

I haven't seen any basis for anyone to call the firing classless at all. The only thing that is certifiable fact is the timing of the announcement, and it was obviously done as a strategic move to pull attention and pressure away from the Team and allow them to perform against a seemingly tough Philly team.

So again, why do YOU think it was a disgrace or classless?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
It comes across as being a hasty and rash decision. It also comes across as showing very little respect to Pearn.

To the average person, it appears that something happened before game time that caused PG to act. For if it wasnt, why the need to fire him at that point in time? Could it have waited until the morning?

Pearn was not the reason we were winning or losing. He is but an assistant coach who still has to answer to Martin. In hockey, in business and in life, respect is earned and displayed. PP was not shown respect.
Why does it show little respect to Pearn? The team was doing very poorly, the PP and PK were a mess and the city was in furor. It was the worst start in 70 years and the GM wanted to make a change. If Gauthier figured that Pearn was not on-board with his overall vision for the club, does he not have the right to move him around?

Pearn was not disparaged after his firing at all, in fact Gauthier went on to say that the move was done with a big picture in mind that Pearn's performance had little to do with the decision. Pearn was even offered another role in the organization! The timing is obviously to distract the media and ease the pressure off of JM/the team. It worked, didn't it? They had their best game of the season.

Gauthier showed a ton of respect and dignity under immense pressure, he couldn't have justified firing JM at that point in time (despite the city, and myself, thinking he should've been) because JM had stepped down as a GM to coach the Habs, because JM has made the playoffs under dire circumstances (Markov injuries) and has had more than decent success in the playoff. A 1-5-2 start is terrible but not firing worthy in a patient organization like the Habs.

So what's Gauthier to do if he see's that Pearn is not on-board with HIS vision of the club?

WhiskeySeven* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 06:58 PM
  #375
WhiskeySeven*
Founded: BargainBin
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 18,598
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Your comprehension skills need a little polishing.

Its not that Perry Pearn was fired.

Its that Perry Pearn was fired shortly before a game started (but was offered another job in the organization--------he sucks but not that much).

Repeat that to yourself until it sinks in. Thanks.
What does it matter about the timing? Pearn's contributions were not in line with that Gauthier decided he wanted, so he relieved him of his duties. It was announced before the game because that's when Gauthier decided to do so and to tell the world.

So what?!

WhiskeySeven* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:11 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.