HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Perry Pearn fired

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-30-2011, 07:02 PM
  #376
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 24,035
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
It comes across as being a hasty and rash decision. It also comes across as showing very little respect to Pearn.

To the average person, it appears that something happened before game time that caused PG to act. For if it wasnt, why the need to fire him at that point in time? Could it have waited until the morning?

Pearn was not the reason we were winning or losing. He is but an assistant coach who still has to answer to Martin. In hockey, in business and in life, respect is earned and displayed. PP was not shown respect.
Why is it hasty? Because you didn't hear anything about it before? So what? Gauthier might have been thinking about it for a long time. It is a lot more conceivable that Gauthier thought about it for a while, especially with both Randys being brought in this year. It could not be more written in the sky that Gauthier wanted Ladouceur to be in charge of the Dmen.
But of course, when you have the ''PG is a crappy GM'' hat on, then you will go the other way and feel it is a hasty decision because you never read anything about it on google.

Very little respect? Why? Because he fired him? Because he did it 1 hour before the game?
Drama in Mtl, it's what the mass likes. Someone that is more rational can understand that if a GM wants to surprise his players with a big move, firing an ass. coach just before the game will do just that.
Why wait for the morning exactly?? So you can make the guy you want to put there instead lose one game of experience there? Just so you can be ''nicer'' to the man you're going to fire?
Of course, someone that is being disrespectful will try to give the man he's firing an opportunity to hold another position within the organization.

I find it rather ironic that you're actually discussing respect to Pearn, when you can't even give an ounce of it to a coach that has more than 1000games of experience. You're shooting yourself in the foot.

You hate Gauthier, we get it dude, now stop trying to rationalize your opinions. They are extremely biased and it's obvious.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 07:05 PM
  #377
Bill McNeal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,337
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Your comprehension skills need a little polishing.

Its not that Perry Pearn was fired.

Its that Perry Pearn was fired shortly before a game started (but was offered another job in the organization--------he sucks but not that much).

Repeat that to yourself until it sinks in. Thanks.
I know an agenda-pusher when I see one. You have your reactions ready waiting for an action to occur.

Let that sink in.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 07:21 PM
  #378
Aeneas
Registered User
 
Aeneas's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 440
vCash: 500
I saw pearn today at the hamilton bulldogs game, he looked to be scouting, so I'm guessing thats what his role in the organization is as of now

Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 07:26 PM
  #379
SouthernHab
Registered User
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,517
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal View Post
I know an agenda-pusher when I see one. You have your reactions ready waiting for an action to occur.

Let that sink in.
Thanks for the laugh Bill McNeal.

I have an agenda? And what would that agenda be? Will it actually result in any action regarding the front office of the Canadiens?

Will I convert enough people to finally rise up and OccupyBellCentre until I GET MY CHOICE for GM and coach?



Or am I just like YOU. Simply voicing an opinion?

Relax. Chill out. Its only a message board and I disagree with you.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 07:33 PM
  #380
Rscorpio
Epic Meal Time!
 
Rscorpio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Santiago, Chile
Country: Chile
Posts: 2,828
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamiltonhabfan10 View Post
I saw pearn today at the hamilton bulldogs game, he looked to be scouting, so I'm guessing thats what his role in the organization is as of now

Great, our future is in great hands....

Rscorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 08:09 PM
  #381
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 48,164
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Why is it hasty? Because you didn't hear anything about it before? So what? Gauthier might have been thinking about it for a long time. It is a lot more conceivable that Gauthier thought about it for a while, especially with both Randys being brought in this year. It could not be more written in the sky that Gauthier wanted Ladouceur to be in charge of the Dmen.
But of course, when you have the ''PG is a crappy GM'' hat on, then you will go the other way and feel it is a hasty decision because you never read anything about it on google.

Very little respect? Why? Because he fired him? Because he did it 1 hour before the game?
Drama in Mtl, it's what the mass likes. Someone that is more rational can understand that if a GM wants to surprise his players with a big move, firing an ass. coach just before the game will do just that.
Why wait for the morning exactly?? So you can make the guy you want to put there instead lose one game of experience there? Just so you can be ''nicer'' to the man you're going to fire?
Of course, someone that is being disrespectful will try to give the man he's firing an opportunity to hold another position within the organization.

I find it rather ironic that you're actually discussing respect to Pearn, when you can't even give an ounce of it to a coach that has more than 1000games of experience. You're shooting yourself in the foot.

You hate Gauthier, we get it dude, now stop trying to rationalize your opinions. They are extremely biased and it's obvious.
That's prety much life Kriss E. We are more biased based on who we like or not. Yet, I suspect people to hate or like based on tangible reasons. Not because he has a big nose, or because he smells. But because we like or hate the way he does things based on what we know. And I'm pretty sure you are like that as well. I know some posters who doesn't like francos players based on the fact that the press want more of them in the team. That's not even rational and yet it exists. So imagine people who might have their reasons based on the work.

As far as the firing...no. They wouldn't have to wait the day after....but how about the same morning? And if Gauthier had that in mind for a long time...why wait now? After the toughest stretch of the Gauthier-Martin era? It looked like Pearn paid for it. And perception is reality. If not, that's an incredible coincidence. And you're right. I'm not a Gauthier fan. Neither am I a Martin or a Pearn fan. But it's not because you are not a fan of somebody that you can't acknowledge that something wasn't done properly. I didn't like to see that Pearn was used as a scapegoat. And don't like the fact that you start a day using a guy as if everything is fine and you STILL need him to teach the players a few things.....and don't need him to start the game 1 hour later. FOR ME, you don't do that. Gauthier CLEARLY doesn't seem it's a big deal since he did it. I don't have to agree.

And the fact that I already loved Ladouceur after 1 game is a total different debate. He is a welcome addition, finally a D working with our D, something me and a few people have asked for how many years again? But better late than never I guess....So that's evidently a good move. The Nokelainen addition was a good move, as I've mention when it happened. So Gauthier doesn't do everything wrong.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 08:22 PM
  #382
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,347
vCash: 500
People will end up hating Ladouceur, the same way people have end up hating every single coach and GM this team had since this discussion forum existed.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 08:29 PM
  #383
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 48,164
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
People will end up hating Ladouceur, the same way people have end up hating every single coach and GM this team had since this discussion forum existed.
Where are the Muller haters?

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 08:29 PM
  #384
FlyingKostitsyn
Registered User
 
FlyingKostitsyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec
Country: Australia
Posts: 8,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
People will end up hating Ladouceur, the same way people have end up hating every single coach and GM this team had since this discussion forum existed.
I would say ''every team had''

I mean these guys get blamed for everything..

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 08:32 PM
  #385
groovejuice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,217
vCash: 500
I think it's tough to tell whether he was a scapegoat or a casualty of his own failings. Maybe even a combination. It was likely not an easy decision for Gauthier, and it may indeed have been weeks in the making. For sure Pearn was hurt more by the timing, but once a decision was made, why wait? It certainly didn't hurt the club on the ice.

A coach can be fired at any time (and has been countless times) - is an assistant coach deserving of more sentiment? It seems to me that certain members of the media have over reacted. McGuire was positively apoplectic. I mean hysterical! I could see his eyes bulging and veins popping on the radio....

groovejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 08:40 PM
  #386
Le CH
Registered User
 
Le CH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,246
vCash: 500
Only in Montreal would such a minor move result in such debate. I really don't see what the big fuss is... the thread title should actually read "Montreal organisation re-assigns Pearn" although its certainly not as sexy a title.

As for the debate about "class" - I really don't put much stock in what was said on the hotstove. HNIC has never really come across as being Canadiens friendly to me so I wasn't overly surprised when I heard the comments. Considering the Canadiens didn't fire Pearn and are still paying him, the whole no-class business just seems over-the-top.

Le CH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 08:50 PM
  #387
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,964
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Who cares about being classy?
Do you think the Bruins fan care how tainted their cup win was? No, they continue with the delusion and drown out everything with the fact they won, they are tough, blah, blah.

Fire who you have to. Do it whenever you need to. If it all ends up to winning, that's all that matters.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 08:51 PM
  #388
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,347
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Where are the Muller haters?
Oh, I'm ready to make an exception of assistant coaches. But the fact remains: look at every single head coach we had in recent years. Vigneault, Therrien, Julien, Carbonneau were all heavily criticized prior to their departure (I'm not counting Gainey, although his situation isn't especially different). Interestingly enough, three of these fours ended up coaching great teams (Vancouver, Pittsburgh, Boston). Carbonneau is the only exception (he never got another gig) but I'm not sure if would fall last in a poll to bring any of these four back.

My underlying point is: how fans evaluate the work of management, and how good these peoples are actually are, has little to do with one another. There are clear exception - Milbury sucked universally - but they are far from the norm.

People piling up on JM doesn't mean anything. And when he'll get fired, it won't be a vindication of the haters, but just because coaches are hired to get fired latter, almost everywhere.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 09:38 PM
  #389
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 24,035
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
That's prety much life Kriss E. We are more biased based on who we like or not. Yet, I suspect people to hate or like based on tangible reasons. Not because he has a big nose, or because he smells. But because we like or hate the way he does things based on what we know. And I'm pretty sure you are like that as well. I know some posters who doesn't like francos players based on the fact that the press want more of them in the team. That's not even rational and yet it exists. So imagine people who might have their reasons based on the work.
I'm not a fan of Martin either. I know others that aren't, or weren't, like MathMan. I remember him being a vivid critic of Martin during the first year. At least he will bring some constructive arguments into the mix. I remember discussing patience during our first year due to the amount of new comers and injuries. The way that first season unfolded gave very little chance for much chemistry to be build and for players to learn the system.
I still am not a fan of Martin. Some decisions leave me scratching my head. Still, I can recognize he's done a fairly good job.

As for Gauthier, he hasn't been in office for 2 years yet, and I will not pin the seasons spent under Gainey on him. I have both worked as an assistant and had some, being an assistant is nothing like being the boss, at all. So, whenever someone criticizes PG for things that happened under Gainey, it discredit them right away imo.
So far however, he's taken some good decisions, and others weak ones. Some are still too early to judge, like re-signing Markov. Time will tell what kind of GM he really was/is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
As far as the firing...no. They wouldn't have to wait the day after....but how about the same morning? And if Gauthier had that in mind for a long time...why wait now? After the toughest stretch of the Gauthier-Martin era? It looked like Pearn paid for it. And perception is reality. If not, that's an incredible coincidence. And you're right. I'm not a Gauthier fan. Neither am I a Martin or a Pearn fan. But it's not because you are not a fan of somebody that you can't acknowledge that something wasn't done properly. I didn't like to see that Pearn was used as a scapegoat. And don't like the fact that you start a day using a guy as if everything is fine and you STILL need him to teach the players a few things.....and don't need him to start the game 1 hour later. FOR ME, you don't do that. Gauthier CLEARLY doesn't seem it's a big deal since he did it. I don't have to agree.
Well, I disagree. The ''why now?'' question gets thrown around way too much around here. It is a question that can be applied at any given time. Why did Lou fire MaClean 2 days before Xmas?
You should follow up the ''why now?'' question with ''why not now?''. The team was struggling, the special teams and defense were question marks, and Pearn was in charge of that. Gauthier might have seen this as an opportunity to make a move, and really, isn't that what being active is all about????
Should Gauthier have waited 2 more weeks? 2 more days? 4 more hours?...Who freaking cares. The fact this is even being discussed is ridiculous.

You tend to think it's a big deal, I see it as a way to give a wake up call just before a game. Whether one want to attribute it to this or not, fact remains we are 3-0 since the firing. We outscored opponents 11-4, outshot them 90-80, average around 23% on the PP, allowed 1 goal in 10 PK occasions.
So PG can look back at all the detractors of this move and show them both his middle fingers.

To be clear, I don't think it made much of a difference. I thought we were playing well on most nights. We have plenty of young players that need time to adjust, and some slow starting veterans. Still, we looked pretty good outside the Pittsburgh and Calgary game. One thing I have learned from watching this core in action for the past couple years is that we tend to elevate our game when we play versus better teams. So I felt playing Philly, and Boston twice was the best thing for us. It proved to be right.
Even if Pearn was a scapegoat, who freaking cares. How many times do we here that GMs can't fire 20 players, so the coaches are always the ones getting the ax. This isn't a new issue.
We're not talking about Muller here, a guy that most seriously loved (perhaps even overvalued). We're talking about Pearn, a man most here were making fun of when Martin announced him as an assistant, a man most here did not give two craps about.
So really, if this guy gets the boot in order to give the responsibilities of the D corps to an ex Dman, then be happy he's the scapegoat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
And the fact that I already loved Ladouceur after 1 game is a total different debate. He is a welcome addition, finally a D working with our D, something me and a few people have asked for how many years again? But better late than never I guess....So that's evidently a good move. The Nokelainen addition was a good move, as I've mention when it happened. So Gauthier doesn't do everything wrong.
Gauthier has his flaws and made some debatable mistakes. Firing Pearn isn't one of them. You can agree or disagree with the way he went about it, but trying to say it was disrespectful just makes people sound like whiny, bitter little children, even if he was a scapegoat.


We are talking about the same fans that heavily criticized Carbo for years and then chanted his name after he was fired. People here are extremely bipolar, and retarded quite frankly.


Last edited by Kriss E: 10-30-2011 at 09:46 PM.
Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 10:00 PM
  #390
Miller Time
Registered User
 
Miller Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,214
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
closing in on 400 posts lol

i love how there's so many experts

you guys have no clue as to what kind of an assistant coach ''Mister" Pearn was


this thread is tribute to the insanity of hab nation
the kind whose teams never missed the playoffs in 16 years

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 10:07 PM
  #391
WhiskeySeven
Avatard
 
WhiskeySeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 14,503
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
the kind whose teams never missed the playoffs in 16 years
Don't overstate his contribution now... Kirk Maltby won 4 Stanley cups.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 10:12 PM
  #392
Lars The GOAT Eller
WildGranlund
 
Lars The GOAT Eller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,287
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Lars The GOAT Eller
Desperate times call for desperate measures; make a bold move and don't ever look back.

I'm glad PG isn't afraid to do what it takes to make the team better, regardless of class.

Lars The GOAT Eller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 10:21 PM
  #393
Miller Time
Registered User
 
Miller Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,214
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Don't overstate his contribution now... Kirk Maltby won 4 Stanley cups.
?
you might want to rethink your example...

Maltby was an excellent player in his role. He was a big contributor to the Red Wings success, obviously not at the Yzerman level, but he didn't play 1000+ games and 169 playoff games for nothing.

that Hockey Canada also selected him for the 2004 world cup team (a team that won gold no less) just reinforces how well regarded and what a big contributor he was.

in a way, he's perhaps a great example in the sense of comparing an assistant coach, who obviously isn't the "star" the way the HC is, but having great support staff, just like having great depth/role players -like maltby, is what makes great teams...

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 10:35 PM
  #394
Bloumeister
Food Court Jester
 
Bloumeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: @Bloumeister
Posts: 6,044
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Don't overstate his contribution now... Kirk Maltby won 4 Stanley cups.
Every single coach in the NHL wants a Maltby-like guy on his team. Or more, hence the 'Grind Line', an integral part of the Wings' success from 1997 to 2008 (the 4 Cups you're referring to).

Poor comparison, if you ask me.

Bloumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 10:40 PM
  #395
FlyingKostitsyn
Registered User
 
FlyingKostitsyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec
Country: Australia
Posts: 8,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloumeister View Post
Every single coach in the NHL wants a Maltby-like guy on his team. Or more, hence the 'Grind Line', an integral part of the Wings' success from 1997 to 2008 (the 4 Cups you're referring to).

Poor comparison, if you ask me.
What about Mathieu Dandenault? Won 3 cups...

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 10:43 PM
  #396
Forsead
Registered User
 
Forsead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Québec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,228
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard4u2win View Post
Desperate times call for desperate measures; make a bold move and don't ever look back.

I'm glad PG isn't afraid to do what it takes to make the team better, regardless of class.
Yeah I think that's something I like from Gauthier, a logical, rational thinking, he also sound like a very intelligent and confident men ! He is of the businessman style of peoples that can do ruthless actions to get to his goals. The end justifies the means.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 02:28 AM
  #397
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger
 
MasterDecoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beijing
Posts: 10,096
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Where are the Muller haters?
they'd show up after 6 months on the job. that's montreal for ya

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 04:46 AM
  #398
habsjunkie2*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,865
vCash: 500
I think the firing was unnecessary. The habs were playing well, but the results weren't yet there. It was only a matter of time if they continued to dominate teams that they would win.

I honestly don't think getting rid of Pearn had anything to do with our recent success. It was a knee jerk reaction imho.

I don't care about Pearn personally, but I expect better from our management than to give in to angry fans and media using a guy with little to no fault the hook a few hrs before the game, when they had a couple of days to do it. PG threw him under the bus. Even JM had the sense to want to keep him around. If the head coach believes in his Ass coach, than that is all I need.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 05:01 AM
  #399
PunkinDrublic*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sutton,Qc-Sudbury,On
Posts: 8,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
What about Mathieu Dandenault? Won 3 cups...
Don't go there. Matt, is a great a guy and was a huge contributer in Hockeytown. Just ask Mr Bowman, he will share his thoughts on how important he was to them.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 11:03 AM
  #400
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 21,952
vCash: 500
I think Ladouceur have been a great change so far. Finally we have an assisstant behind the bench since Muller that has a pulse and can talk to players.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:28 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.