HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Perry Pearn fired

Old
10-26-2011, 06:15 PM
sheed36

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born in 1909 View Post
Good luck, Perry Pearn.

Its never fun for anyone to be fired.

I might add that there are an aweful lot of mean-spirited comments on these boards... (not all posters...)

... but I guess some keyboard warrior fans revel in kicking a man in the teeth when he's down.

Bravo!

classy stuff...

Some examples? All I see is people not understanding the firing mostly..

sheed36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Protest the Hero

Make Darche assistant coach, it would keep him off the powerplay!

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
LaurentHabs
Galchenyuk2Collberg

As if we didn't have too many men on the ice penalty's..

Quote:
#canadiens Perry Pearn ne sera pas remplacé. Habs won't replace him behind the bench.

LaurentHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 06:17 PM
Dr_Hook

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
To me this is just another indication that JM has immunity. Him and Gauthier are too close.
I really don't know how one could come to that conclusion : Gauthier just fired Martin's BFF ; to me it says to him : there are no trades or call-up available, I believe the team AS IS should play better, the way you were doing things has to change. Pearn is a goner and now you're on the clock. tik tik tik...

Dr_Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 06:18 PM
Schooner Guy

Bizarre move.

Having said that, I get a kick out of how many of the same bozos who say we need a GM like Burke are now calling this a desperation move by Gauthier. Burkie canned (count 'em) TWO assistant coaches (two Canadians fired and replaced by two Americans) this offseason but left Wilson steering the ship.

Again...this is a bizarre move.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 06:19 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Hook View Post
I really don't know how one could come to that conclusion : Gauthier just fired Martin's BFF ; to me it says to him : there are no trades or call-up available, I believe the team AS IS should play better, the way you were doing things has to change. Pearn is a goner and now you're on the clock. tik tik tik...
PG won't fire JM lol... unless Molson forces him to.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 06:21 PM
Habs

About time, maybe someone else can handle the line changes and we won't get so many 'too many men' calls.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 06:22 PM
HomaridII

renhockey Renaud P Lavoie
#canadiens Pierre Gauthier: "this is my decision. Not Geoff Molson or jacques Martin."

renhockey Renaud P Lavoie
#canadiens Pierre Gauthier:"it's a tough day for Jacques Martin. He's losing a friend".

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 06:26 PM
HCH

I really don't consider it a bizarre move at all. The defense under Pearn looked disorganized from the day he arrived. Our breakout and transition play has been underwhelming. The players seemed to have no clear idea about what they should do with the puck. Clearly there are more than just me who are frustrated with that kind of performance. Despite Martin's protestations, Gauthier removed Pearn from the coaching staff.

That speaks volumes.

The playing lineup was tweaked a bit recently, now the coaching staff has been tweaked a bit. A message has been sent and if the results don't improve, we will see more than tweaks in the next few days.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 06:29 PM
HomaridII

BrianWildeCTV BrianWilde
'Why today?' question skirted effectively in both languages by PG.

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 06:32 PM
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurentHabs View Post
As if we didn't have too many men on the ice penalty's..
Oh god.

Martin just gets more control of this team?

Hawkguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 06:39 PM
freezie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
Make Darche assistant coach, it would keep him off the powerplay!

freezie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 06:40 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Bizarre move.

Having said that, I get a kick out of how many of the same bozos who say we need a GM like Burke are now calling this a desperation move by Gauthier. Burkie canned (count 'em) TWO assistant coaches (two Canadians fired and replaced by two Americans) this offseason but left Wilson steering the ship.

Well Burke did it in the offseason. While Gauthier does it when most people ask for his head and Martin's head. Even if it's absolutely not related....that's just the type of timing to call it a desperation move.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 06:46 PM
MathMan

Hmm, I sense that they asked someone to fall on his sword to appease the media -- someone who, apparently, wasn't sure whether he'd want to come back this offseason.

Given the extreme youth of the D unit, I wouldn't have blamed the D coach, and the special teams weren't getting results, but the process was sound and it was bound to get untracked. Hopefully they recognized that, and didn't just fire the special teams coach because the special teams weren't getting the bounces.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 06:50 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Hmm, I sense that they asked someone to fall on his sword to appease the media -- someone who, apparently, wasn't sure whether he'd want to come back this offseason.
Do you really think assistant coaches have enough financial security to be on the fence regarding whether they want a job? Also, Martin begged PG to keep him. You're grasping at straws.

Old
10-26-2011, 06:52 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Bizarre move.

i wonder what kind of bozo can't tell the difference between a bench shuffling during the offseason, and a reactionary move 8 games into the season, firing an assistant the team had all offseason to evaluate...

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 06:57 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Well Burke did it in the offseason. While Gauthier does it when most people ask for his head and Martin's head. Even if it's absolutely not related....that's just the type of timing to call it a desperation move.
beat me to it...

Quote:

Given the extreme youth of the D unit, I wouldn't have blamed the D coach, and the special teams weren't getting results, but the process was sound and it was bound to get untracked. Hopefully they recognized that, and didn't just fire the special teams coach because the special teams weren't getting the bounces.
the comments on TSN about PG bringing in an extra assistant-coach in the offseason, one who was the assistant behind the guy brought up from Hamilton (a PG hire), somewhat points towards a noose tightening around JM's neck...

firing Pearn despite JM arguing to keep him, indicates that PG/JM aren't exactly on the same page, which would certainly lend itself to the notion that the noose is tightening around JM's neck...

wonder if the Molson's will let PG fire Martin and then have some time with his own head coach in place?

I suppose there would be justification for that since PG did inherit JM...

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 06:58 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Do you really think assistant coaches have enough financial security to be on the fence regarding whether they want a job?
Probably, how much is Pearn paid? Not like Montreal can't afford to pay top dollar for the best assistant. If they don't, then they should. With the cap, it is one of the few ways they can leverage their financial advantadge.

Quote:
Also, Martin begged PG to keep him.
Did he? PG said as much? Or is this just because of the "losing a friend" part?

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 07:05 PM
habfaninvictoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
To me this is just another indication that JM has immunity. Him and Gauthier are too close.
I don't think this is the case. JM probably tried to save Pearn's job, they're good friends and JM brought him in. JM himself in press conferences was blaming special teams. This is PG firing a shot across JM's bow. Basically he's fired JM's guy, not given him a choice and will probably give him the next 2 weeks to sort this out. If it's not sorted then PG will have no choice. I don't like seeing anyone lose a job, but in business you have to perform.

AND

For the guy preaching to us about feeling sorry for someone losing his job... let's not lose the perspective that Pearn has a contract that will be financially honoured and that no matter what that contract was not likely to be renewed. Go be righteously indignant somewhere else.

habfaninvictoria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 07:09 PM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

Is it common to fire an assistant coach? I'm asking seriously, usually when a coach is fired the assistants go with him, I've never heard of an assistant being fired without the head coach.

Bring_Bak_Damphousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 07:13 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Probably, how much is Pearn paid? Not like Montreal can't afford to pay top dollar for the best assistant. If they don't, then they should. With the cap, it is one of the few ways they can leverage their financial advantadge.
If he's getting paid so much because he's in a plum market, do you think he'd want out? And no, assistant coaches aren't receiving Ovechkin style deals just because their salaries don't count under the cap.

Quote:
Did he? PG said as much? Or is this just because of the "losing a friend" part?
They mentioned on TSN that Martin and PG met about it today and Martin tried to convince PG to keep Pearn.

Old
10-26-2011, 07:42 PM
mytor4*

I hate to see the Habs lose it's 2 next games as it will put us so deep in a hole but if losing the next 2 gets rid on Martin than i'm all behind us losing.I hated the signing of Martin from day one.

mytor4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 07:52 PM
JLP
чудесный Монреаль

Hopefully the next to go is Jacques Martin's notebook. Seriously, lose that thing. A goal is scored, a penalty taken, Jacques, what you do is not commence to scribbling. That's like texting on a date. Instead, try looking at the players. Eyes are the windows of the soul. Emote. Communicate. Breathe in, breathe out....

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 08:02 PM
Doyle

Montreal Canadiens Justified in Firing Perry Pearn
http://nhlhotstove.com/montreal-cana...g-perry-pearn/

Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 08:19 PM
habdynasty

Bob Mckenzie calls Pearn the sacrificial lamb in Montreal.

habdynasty is online now   Reply With Quote