HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#10|Oct 27, 2011|Jets at Flyers |7:00 p.m. ET

Old
10-28-2011, 05:29 AM
jb**

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I feel like focusing on some positive things from this game since we have two days (minimum) of negativity and panic on the way:

JVR did things

Read's goal was just awesome

Jagr!

Timonen is the damned man.
gus looked good.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 05:33 AM
StandingCow

There are some good things about this game... hopefully JvR heats up and starts scoring.

I am mostly concerned though... where is our goaltending and defense? To lose like this against one of the bottom NHL teams.... not good.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 06:26 AM
DutchDennis

There was a time we all thought our goalie problems were solved...

DutchDennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 06:35 AM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandals View Post
gus looked good.
I don't know if I would go so far to say he looked good. He was better than Lilja by a country mile or so, however. I'd pair him with someone other than Carle in the future as well, personally I'd like to see him with Coburn.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 07:12 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
8 goals and we don't even get a point :

If the defense is this dependent on Chris Pronger, this organization can't even think about winning the Stanley Cup.

Bad hockey is fun hockey though
I know it's not this simple, but the confusing thing about all of this is that our D now is better than the pre-Pronger D we iced in 2008, 2009, etc, and we were able to survive then. I guess getting rid of all of the defensively-savvy forwards hurts, but this dependence issue is pretty damn alarming.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 07:18 AM
ORYX

I knew we had a pair of Russians for between the pipes, but I didnt realize their were part Swiss as well....

ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 07:22 AM
TOCxNJ

I'm wondering if half of you even watched the games recently. Goaltending is far from the real issue here; our defense has been horrible. It's idiotic to be putting the blame solely on goaltending. I actually feel really bad for our goalies because apparently the team feels like they can put all the defensive duties on the goalies.

TOCxNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 07:26 AM
ORYX

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
I know it's not this simple, but the confusing thing about all of this is that our D now is better than the pre-Pronger D we iced in 2008, 2009, etc, and we were able to survive then. I guess getting rid of all of the defensively-savvy forwards hurts, but this dependence issue is pretty damn alarming.
Personally I think or defensive woes can be partially attributed to the wrong players being asked to play the wrong way.

Pronger - Plays great defensive hockey, controls the tempo of a game, offensive ability.
Timmonen - On the decline offensively, even more so defensively, he is certainly slowing in all aspects of his game.
Carle - Offensively minded, capable in his own end, by no means is he SOLID defensively
Meszaros - See Carle
Coburn - Not much offense, unrealized potential defensively. He is an average 3-4 guy.
Walker - You suck
Lilja - You suck

It's no wonder this team struggles defensively when Pronger is out, NONE of the remaining defenders is stay at home with the exception of Coburn, and even he joins the rush every now and then, and he certainly isnt a top pairing defensive shut down guy.

Regardless of this rough patch we are experiencing, the need for the Flyers to add a top 2 defensive defender is evident. I say go after Suter (he does provide offense, but much much better defensively then what we have).

Old
kimmofan44

i do like the passion that bryz showed in his interview, and it was nice to hear someone actually tell the fans how they felt and shoulder some blame, but at the same it makes him look weak.... its not all his fault and i know from watching him in pheonix(he was my favorite goalie next to khabibulin) that he'll be fine. phili is tough on goalies,! but we know he's good, and now we see how much he cares about us, his team and winning so i think he'll be ok with in the fans eyes as long as he improves his game...

kimmofan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Mylec 22

The last goal when Bryz smashed his stick on the crossbar...it kinda reminded me when Hextall did it Jason Vorhees-style that one time, I think it was in '94 (I may be wrong about the year). But anyway, I swear that was a pivotal moment back then. It seemed like the Flyers got their act together after that. I wish Bryz would have kept slamming his stick into little toothpicks like Hexy did. It worked back then.

Mylec 22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 07:27 AM
ORYX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOCxNJ View Post
I'm wondering if half of you even watched the games recently. Goaltending is far from the real issue here; our defense has been horrible. It's idiotic to be putting the blame solely on goaltending. I actually feel really bad for our goalies because apparently the team feels like they can put all the defensive duties on the goalies.
My comment was a joke btw, I'm quite aware that our defensive strength has made like the wind.

Old
10-28-2011, 08:16 AM
kimmofan44

do you think bryz will recieve any reprocussions from the coaching staff or holmer for giving to candid of an interview to the media? there is a reason why al hockey interviews(with the exception of pronger, roenick and a few others) are all cookie cutter, thats how organizations like it. just wondering bc i've never seen a player destroy himself like that, thats what fan message boards are for!!!

Old
10-28-2011, 08:33 AM
Ryanoceros
He Shoots, He Scores

Too much chasing the game and too little feet movement in the defensive zone. Opponents are moseying into the slot as they wish without paying any sort of price. This problem is fixable, and I think (hope) it can be improved quickly. Fixing it will directly effect the goaltenders positively.

Offensively, there looked to be some good chemistry starting, and I'm thrilled that they buried a lot of their chances. Even more thrilled that they pushed their way back into the game. Albeit, against a team with a struggling defense.

Ryanoceros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 08:46 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmofan44 View Post
do you think bryz will recieve any reprocussions from the coaching staff or holmer for giving to candid of an interview to the media? there is a reason why al hockey interviews(with the exception of pronger, roenick and a few others) are all cookie cutter, thats how organizations like it. just wondering bc i've never seen a player destroy himself like that, thats what fan message boards are for!!!
They should have thought about that before giving him a 9-year contract. It wasn't a secret that Bryzgalov is going to say exactly what is on his mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
Well, yeah, buy defense I meant the collection of the team in front of the goalie.

Gap control is John Stevens-bad. Part of it is coaching, but part of it is not having the right players in front of the goaltender.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)

Last edited by GKJ: 10-28-2011 at 10:00 AM.
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 09:06 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

I left the game at 6-2 and just caught the highlights now.

Why Bryz is being so hard on himself I don't know. Every single goal scored against him was a result of downright pathetic defending. Hell,three of the goals were slam dunks. There's not a keeper in the universe that can stop them.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 09:34 AM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post

Why Bryz is being so hard on himself I don't know. Every single goal scored against him was a result of downright pathetic defending. Hell,three of the goals were slam dunks. There's not a keeper in the universe that can stop them.
Clearly because he is being exposed

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 09:43 AM
JonnyGaloshes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post

The Jets' 8th goal is what got to him, and it should. That shot needs to be stopped.

I love how candid he was about the whole thing. I hope the team rallies around him.

P.S. **** you Jody Shelly, and **** you Lavi for putting him on the ice in that situation after we took the lead.

JonnyGaloshes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 10:00 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Not sure what the TV broadcast showed but when the game was 8-7, Bryzgalov was really pissed and he smashed his stick a couple times on the cross bar. I thought he was getting pissed at the defense in front of him, not himself.

Old
10-28-2011, 10:05 AM
JonnyGaloshes

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Not sure what the TV broadcast showed but when the game was 8-7, Bryzgalov was really pissed and he smashed his stick a couple times on the cross bar. I thought he was getting pissed at the defense in front of him, not himself.
They showed it.

He was definitely mad at himself. He referenced that goal in his interview, saying something like "I can't even stop the easy shot."

JonnyGaloshes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 10:15 AM
alx83*

I'm sure Summer Bryz is more pissed at the defense in front of him, but knows that throwing that out there for the press to hear wouldn't do anything good for the team.

alx83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 10:50 AM
IceTrAiN

Quote:
I thought I was the only one who could see this. Even when Bob was in net, 4 of the 5 goals that went in were hardly due to poor goaltending. Our defensive play is terrible.

IceTrAiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 10:55 AM
Garbage Goal

That kind of candid attitude is refreshing to see from Bryz. Also very sad at the same time to see how beaten up he is though.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 11:17 AM
kimmofan44

the team as a whole seems to have given up on defense,... the rookies and talbot(who by the way i'm growing to respect his unselfish and level headedness more and more) are playing great 2 way but thats it. its still early so lets see how november pans out, if its more of the same we might be getting a new coaching staff for christmas!

Old
10-28-2011, 03:58 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Tweet of the Day:

RT @BSH_EricT: Over a few min, story's gone from "Bryz has no confidence" to "Bryz has confidence back." Hard to imagine why Richards was moody with media.

Old
10-28-2011, 04:05 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Bryz will find his groove he's to good to be this bad all year......

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote