HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

M11 helmet

Old
10-31-2011, 12:01 AM
Buccaneer
Rookie User

vCash: 500
M11 helmet

I love new tech and this helmet looks interesting ... so much so it has the Moose's name attached to it

http://www.cascadeicehockey.com/the-technology.html

Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 12:29 AM
Razzmatazz

This one's been out a little while, I bought one and really liked it. Very comfortable.

Razzmatazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 01:49 AM
Buccaneer
Rookie User

Where have I been ... just heard about it ... thx for the feedback

Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 06:27 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

I own one of these, and it's my first helmet. I'd say it's pretty good. The cages are almost unnoticable if you get them.

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 06:33 AM
TesseracT
AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
I own one of these, and it's my first helmet. I'd say it's pretty good. The cages are almost unnoticable if you get them.
+1

Also my first helmet and I really like it. The only complaint I ever read is regarding its appearance but I don't see what makes it look all that awkward. I don't play very often so most of my equipment is budget based...except the helmet. Never skimp on your head.

TesseracT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 06:50 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TesseracT View Post
+1

Also my first helmet and I really like it. The only complaint I ever read is regarding its appearance but I don't see what makes it look all that awkward. I don't play very often so most of my equipment is budget based...except the helmet. Never skimp on your head.
I think it looks fine, honestly. Plus, when you're busy chasing the puck, how good your helmet looks to the others should be the last thing on your mind.

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 07:42 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I have one. It fits a bit big and I think the cage sits up a little high because my chin guard hits my mouth instead of chin. It's a good helmet and comfortable but I personally don't really trust any helmet is better with concussions right now given the lack of testing.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 01:27 PM
Stickmata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I have one. It fits a bit big and I think the cage sits up a little high because my chin guard hits my mouth instead of chin. It's a good helmet and comfortable but I personally don't really trust any helmet is better with concussions right now given the lack of testing.
This. And not just because of the lack of testing. The protection offered by the design of even the best hockey helmet is minimal at best when subjected to the forces that often result from the speed of hockey. In order to get any real level of protection in a hockey helmet would add a significant amount of weight to it and nobody would buy it.

I have noticed that some pro players are now playing with additional padding in their helmets. I have to add padding on the sides to make helmets fit me right and I've noticed that some of the pros wearing the Easton S19 Shock helmets have an additional layer of padding in there as compared to what is in the model sold to the public. Not sure if that's a fit issue or whether it's a protection issue.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 05:22 PM
robmneilson

I love my M11, but I have a friend who just bought one and complains that it makes him sweat more, and that it's heavier. I haven't noticed this at all, it's been one of the more comfortable helmets I've owned.

robmneilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 08:02 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post
I have noticed that some pro players are now playing with additional padding in their helmets. I have to add padding on the sides to make helmets fit me right and I've noticed that some of the pros wearing the Easton S19 Shock helmets have an additional layer of padding in there as compared to what is in the model sold to the public. Not sure if that's a fit issue or whether it's a protection issue.
That's one thing that bugs me about "high end" helmets. They have thin, hard EPP padding with a little bit of "comfort" padding on top.

I bought my M11 because it had some of the softest padding out there, although the exterior is somewhat flimsy. Ideally the S19 with custom padding to make a snugger fit would be the best helmet out there right now IMO.

But my philosophy is that helmets exist to prevent your skull from being cracked open and hold your visor/cage, not to prevent concussions.

Old
11-01-2011, 10:08 AM
Jive Time

This is a comfortable helmet. I've gone through a few of the higher end ones and usually after about an hour I get the head pinch. With the little adjuster on the back I can now run a little loose when needed. Works for me...

Jive Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 10:37 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by robmneilson View Post
I love my M11, but I have a friend who just bought one and complains that it makes him sweat more, and that it's heavier. I haven't noticed this at all, it's been one of the more comfortable helmets I've owned.
I don't know about being heavier but it doesn't breathe as well as the Reebok I was using before. But, that helmet cracked in the front so I decided to try the M11. Haven't had any complaints so far, comfortable, fits my head good, breathes OK and it was in my price range.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 12:25 PM
Stickmata

Quote:
Ideally the S19 with custom padding to make a snugger fit would be the best helmet out there right now IMO.
That's what I wear. S19 with a strip of bicycle helmet padding added down both sides. Comfortable and snugs it up.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 01:06 PM
Rink Bum

Had a cheap old CCM helmet for years and was looking around for a new one.

I have to say when I first tried on the M11 Cascade, it fit perfectly and very comfortable.

Question for anybody that knows - I can see from their site and little video that it is supposed to compress to absorb the impact energy, but do those "seven elements" break or crack?

Rink Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 01:44 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Having ripped mine apart a few times I can't see how they would ever break or crack, but I also can't see how they compress either. They seem too thick (the material, not the depth).

Old
11-01-2011, 03:22 PM
CornKicker
Locked Out

vCash: 50
i just started using the rbk11k and i love it, light weight adjustable, fits perfect for my head

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 10:12 PM
Dallas Stars
Rookie User

I like the design of it but I can't see my self ever wearing it because it's a pretty ugly lid. I'm gonna stick with my Bauer 4500

Dallas Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 01:28 PM
Razzmatazz

Quote:
Same problem with the cage when I've used it. The ones they send are a little small.

For the people who are having ventilation issues, has anyone punched out the vents? I'm guessing that would solve them.

Razzmatazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 01:41 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yes I have it didn't make much difference and now looks kind of janky. If I end up keeping it I'll glue some black mesh in the holes. I just don't want to drop another $50+ on a bigger cage.

I will say compared to my Reebok VN helmet the Reebok is cooler with more air flow ON THE ICE but the M11 stays cooler on the bench. I think the vents are better on the Reebok but the VN must hold the heat more or something.