HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Washington Capitals @ Edmonton Oilers. 9:30PM EST. Rexall Place. 10.27.2011

Old
10-28-2011, 01:54 AM
MessierII

vCash: 500
Oilers fan here. Great game tonight by both teams. Khabi stole that one for us in the third. Fun game to watch. Good luck the rest of the year!! Especially Saturday and in April!!!

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 02:04 AM
Tyrolean

Lots of Oiler fans bragging tonight.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 02:23 AM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
If they are they're not doing it on HF. Most of the ones on our board and theres have been more then cordial.

Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 03:09 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
Oh well, at least the idea that Canadians are a kind and hospitable group was reinforced tonight by the Oiler fans that stopped by.

Still as pleased as I am with the Caps hustle, effort, and urgency they still have to find a way to beat those hot goaltenders. Vokoun can't steal every game.

can not speak for all oiler fans

but after 3 years of getting our heads handed to us--we are just happy that we can play a competitive game--no idea for how much longer

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 04:24 AM
windjackass
Hiss Hiss Hiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig View Post
but after 3 years of getting our heads handed to us--we are just happy that we can play a competitive game--no idea for how much longer
I'll second that. I love my Oilers, but I was getting so sick of watching them lose. In the 7 home games I attended last season, they went 1-6. They've won all 3 I've been to this season (Nashville, Rangers, Caps), so I'm just gonna keeping riding this wave and hope that the Oil can keep it up as long as possible.

In all fairness, you guys outworked us tonight. We got a few bounces, and Khabi stood on his head. We have a young, talented team, but I know we can't rely on luck to take us through an 82 game season.

windjackass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 04:30 AM
Harvey Specter
Boooooone

vCash: 50
dont score a PP in 1 specific period of an early regular season game, not a cup caliber team

winning the cup is about getting hot at the right time, getting lucky and avoiding too many injuries (which in itself can be luck). the only thing we can say with certainty at this stage is that the caps have a cup caliber roster and netminder. whether or not they play at or near their ability in may and june remains to be seen, but what wont matter then is their pp% of an ultimately quite meaningless western conference road game in week 4 of the regular season.

if its a sign of things to come for a sustained period...then we might be in trouble. (then again, maybe not since boston won the darn thing on the back of goaltending and plenty of puck luck).

Harvey Specter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 06:31 AM
The Flying Finn

wow 35 shots on goal and we were man short half of second period. I didn't watch the game but looks like khabibulin took this one.

The Flying Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 08:17 AM
hyzer23

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsWolverinesUSA View Post
Goalie stole at least 3 goals, we hit two posts in the final 3 minutes, had 8 straight penalties called against us, and lost 2-1 on the road.
this...still would've loved a point out of this game

hyzer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 08:27 AM
Capsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunksuperhero View Post
dont score a PP in 1 specific period of an early regular season game, not a cup caliber team

winning the cup is about getting hot at the right time, getting lucky and avoiding too many injuries (which in itself can be luck). the only thing we can say with certainty at this stage is that the caps have a cup caliber roster and netminder. whether or not they play at or near their ability in may and june remains to be seen, but what wont matter then is their pp% of an ultimately quite meaningless western conference road game in week 4 of the regular season.

if its a sign of things to come for a sustained period...then we might be in trouble. (then again, maybe not since boston won the darn thing on the back of goaltending and plenty of puck luck).
It's not about not scoring a PP goal, it's about not scoring on 4 chances in a 3rd period down a goal and struggling to even set up in the opponent's zone. I'm not saying it isn't correctable and not saying we won't do it, but as of right now I see this as a huge wart. Edmonton's PK is what we will be seeing in the playoffs.

Capsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 08:47 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Hot goalie.

Referees made this game almost unwatchable.

Green's presence missed.

Could be worst, could be a Texas Rangers fan I suppose, gotta feel for them.

On to Vancouver, let's make their fans riot.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 08:48 AM
Harvey Specter
Boooooone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsman View Post
It's not about not scoring a PP goal, it's about not scoring on 4 chances in a 3rd period down a goal and struggling to even set up in the opponent's zone. I'm not saying it isn't correctable and not saying we won't do it, but as of right now I see this as a huge wart. Edmonton's PK is what we will be seeing in the playoffs.
this comes after multiple games of great puck movement and, obviously, a good % (3rd in the league). it all evens out is my point. by the end of the year we'll see how they stack up.

injuries arent an excuse or anything but lets not forget green -- the caps single most important PP player -- wasnt out there. things are completely different from him because hes probably 2nd only to backstrom passing, might have the best shot on the PP and moves more/better than anyone else generally.

lastly, i think we should clearly distinguish being not converting and creating chances...i mean, the goals didnt go in but the caps played well in that 3rd. they dominated to a level which at times was quite shocking. its a shame some of the bounces didnt work, wides hit that pipe clean as a whistle, ovi hit the crossbar...i think they played in that 3rd period better than they did in the philly 3rd period, and sustained the pressure much longer to boot. 1 game resulted in 3 tips/bounces thru hard work and superior play (nevermind average goalie play on the other side), this game saw no such puck luck and a goalie legit robbing a couple goals.

eh. GG oilers, onto vancouver. far as im concerned the caps played a good road game and should carry their even strength momentum to vancouver, just trying to be a little more disciplined (and no question the refs wont be that tight again for a while).

Harvey Specter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 09:04 AM
Mr.Prez
Why not Zoidberg?

vCash: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
I think most of us (Oiler Fans) know that if it weren't for the home town reffing and our goalie going super saiyan, we would have lost this one (likely pretty badly).

Mr.Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 09:05 AM
Mr.Prez
Why not Zoidberg?

vCash: 129
Oh and plz beat the 'Nucks on Sat

Mr.Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 09:06 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

I smell a losing streak....

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 09:10 AM
hyzer23

i smell a hater....

hyzer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 09:21 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

+1 REF on the hot goalie. It seems like the more you shoot, the hotter he gets.

The NHL lite gets annoying. The wussy penalty calls are killing the game. Do they call that crap to provide some excitement and give the fans something to cheer about, or to manually increase scoring? All it does is push me to watch the World Series instead.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 09:25 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
I smell a losing streak....
well...thats better than smelling the blood of an englishman. eh?

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 09:28 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post

The NHL lite gets annoying. The wussy penalty calls are killing the game. Do they call that crap to provide some excitement and give the fans something to cheer about, or to manually increase scoring? All it does is push me to watch the World Series instead.
its october. watch the world series.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 09:34 AM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post

Yep, we got Augered in this one... How the **** this guy still reffing is beyond my comprehancion.

Wiki quote:

Quote:
Auger has been caught up numerous times in on-ice controversy. In an NHL game on December 13, 2005, in Montreal, he assessed Phoenix Coyotes captain Shane Doan a misconduct penalty after concluding he verbally abused an official and made culturally insensitive comments against the referees, who were French-Canadian. The NHL reviewed the allegations against Doan and concluded that they were baseless.[3]
After a game on January 11, 2010, Vancouver Canucks forward Alexandre Burrows accused Auger of having a personal vendetta resulting from an incident in a previous game. Burrows stated that Auger told him before the game that he was going to "get him back" for making the official look bad previously.[4] Burrows received four penalties in the third period of the game, a Vancouver loss against the Nashville Predators.[5] The league investigated Burrows' claims and concluded that they could not be substantiated, while stating that "Referee Auger’s intentions were beyond reproach."[6]
On March 12, 2011, New York Islanders, numerous Islanders players accused Auger of conspiracy, saying they felt the officials saw the Devils' playoff run as more important than their own playoff push.[7] There was a large discrepancy regarding power-play time. A New Jersey Devils player was insulting the Islanders coach and his assistants during the game and the player was not punished for his actions. Additionally, when Alternate Captain Frans Nielsen spoke to Auger about what was going on, he was given what was the first game misconduct penalty of his entire career. Islanders interim coach Jack Capuano stated that he requested but received no explanation from Auger on the Nielsen penalty, citing difficulty engaging the officiating crew throughout the entire game.[8] On March 13, 2011, the NHL Senior Vice President and Director of Officiating Terry Gregson confirmed to Newsday that the NHL is indeed looking into this matter.[9] This incident follows a previous controversy involving Auger and the Islanders earlier this season in which a questionable spinning move was used to score during the shootout. Although the shootout goal was regarded as "close" to violating the continuous motion rule, the goal was ultimately ruled legal and Auger was not found to be at fault.
[edit]

Vladiator16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 09:53 AM
NeilYoung

So what do the caps do when they loose to the oilers? All go to the club. The only ones that didn't were knuble hammer and vokoun. Kinda dissapoiting

NeilYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 09:53 AM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
well...thats better than smelling the blood of an englishman. eh?
Well we all have to make sacrifices.

Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 10:05 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsGreat08AO View Post
So what do the caps do when they loose to the oilers? All go to the club. The only ones that didn't were knuble hammer and vokoun. Kinda dissapoiting
Can't dwell on a regular season loss. What's the point really? It's one of 82. In the grand scheme of things, this means next to nothing.

Wake me up in May.

Old
10-28-2011, 10:15 AM
NeilYoung

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
Can't dwell on a regular season loss. What's the point really? It's one of 82. In the grand scheme of things, this means next to nothing.

Wake me up in May.
I didn't really care to much. But they would have been out until really late the game in Edm didn't end til around 11 and then they would have gotten to Van until at the earliest 130 and then going to the club?

NeilYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 10:22 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

LOL...know your roll kid.

Old
10-28-2011, 10:23 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor