HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

The 2011 Goalie Controversy thread

Old
10-26-2011, 09:02 AM
phillyfanatic

vCash: 500
The 2011 Goalie Controversy thread

It is early, but ALREADY I am noticing that Sam and other members of the Philly media are starting to kick up dirt. Personally, I LOVE that Bob is doing well and I have been pleased with Bryz so far (Washington is still on track for 82-0, so that game aside). But......this is Philly......and these are goalies.

So, How long before Bryz starts to hear the Boos. How long before Philly starts to want the Bob over Bryz?

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 09:03 AM
phillyfanatic

The question is, since, like most......I see the storm on the horizon and I think it is just a matter of time before it hits. I have been in that storm before...it has a tendency to DESTROY a season. So.....should we trade Bob now?

Could that be why Homer is scouting Columbus? They NEED a goalie, a young goalie would be preferrable. That team NEEDS to win NOW or lose that franchise! So, maybe they want Bob and like Colorado are willing to give up their first round pick to do it now?

Old
10-26-2011, 09:16 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
The question is, since, like most......I see the storm on the horizon and I think it is just a matter of time before it hits. I have been in that storm before...it has a tendency to DESTROY a season. So.....should we trade Bob now?

Could that be why Homer is scouting Columbus? They NEED a goalie, a young goalie would be preferrable. That team NEEDS to win NOW or lose that franchise! So, maybe they want Bob and like Colorado are willing to give up their first round pick to do it now?
For like the 17th time today, Homer is in Detroit. The Columbus-Detroit game is taking place IN COLUMBUS.

Homer is not attempting to ship Bobrovsky out of town... unless another team is willing to take a couple of our 2nd round picks along with him.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 09:21 AM
Jack de la Hoya

There is no goalie controversy. The reporters trying to kick one up are doing their job--trying to sell newspapers / generate hits on their websites. Let's not do them the favor, eh?

We have a decent backup to a better starter. That's the way its supposed to work.

Look at the goals that went in on Bryz--there were what, four deflects in the Washington game? He made a mistake against St. Louis on the D'Agostini goal, but otherwise, I can't think of many "soft" goals he has let in.

Bob has played well--though one of those games was against what it easily the worst team in the league.

I joked about Bob to Columbus in the other thread--but it is massively unlikely. Set aside whether the value we could get in return woudl be worth it--who would our back-up goalie be? Leighton has to clear re-entry waivers. Despite what most of us think, myself included, he is still a serviceable backup in the NHL, particularly at half his current cap-hit. That leaves us with, what, Bacashihua? Well, at least there would be no controversy.

Bob might get moved at some point--but I don't think it will be this year. Maybe at the draft or next summer , when the Flyers have the chance to bring in a reasonable backup, but not now.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 09:29 AM
jagrgodr

Could you really have someone with that contract as the back up? This is a serious question. What is he getting paid, like $6 million for 5 years? If you are already THINKING about benching your $30 million dollar goalie 7 games in when you have a team that was just revamped is just silly. Everyone needs some time, the players do and the goalie. Bob could be the better goalie right now, but maybe in 15-30 games bryz will have played most of the teams a couple of times and will know most of the players he is up against.

jagrgodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 09:33 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Columbus is over a barrel we should pillage their team now while we have the chance..they already miscalculated with Carter and his tin feet. Now let's totally mug em...

Quote:
The Blue Jackets are having issues on and off the ice. There are reports that they are losing $25 million a season, and there is talk about the long-term survival of the franchise. Their last few home games have only drawn 9,000 fans.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/...098/story.html

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 09:36 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Ah. This thread. So it begins.

10-26-2011, 09:52 AM
ORYX

There is no controversy, the season is young not to mention Bryz has played a much higher caliber opponent the Bob. Don't let the Leafs start fool you.

ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 09:55 AM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
There is no goalie controversy. The reporters trying to kick one up are doing their job--trying to sell newspapers / generate hits on their websites. Let's not do them the favor, eh?

We have a decent backup to a better starter. That's the way its supposed to work.

Look at the goals that went in on Bryz--there were what, four deflects in the Washington game? He made a mistake against St. Louis on the D'Agostini goal, but otherwise, I can't think of many "soft" goals he has let in.

Bob has played well--though one of those games was against what it easily the worst team in the league.

I joked about Bob to Columbus in the other thread--but it is massively unlikely. Set aside whether the value we could get in return woudl be worth it--who would our back-up goalie be? Leighton has to clear re-entry waivers. Despite what most of us think, myself included, he is still a serviceable backup in the NHL, particularly at half his current cap-hit. That leaves us with, what, Bacashihua? Well, at least there would be no controversy.

Bob might get moved at some point--but I don't think it will be this year. Maybe at the draft or next summer , when the Flyers have the chance to bring in a reasonable backup, but not now.
Agreed. It's not a proplem to have a solid backup. That's kind of what you want. Sure his price tag is a little bit hefty for us this year when the bonuses count, but next year he's back to 850k.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 11:28 AM
DrHamburg

lol oh boy...

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 11:38 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Move the team to Kansas City, quick!

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 12:09 PM
Philadelphia Ducks
#BringBackBob

I always wanted Bob to be our starter this year 8(. I loved him last season and this year he's been pretty good too. But pushing that to the side. Bryz is and will be the starting goalie for this team, even if he struggles. When you're given that contract you're going to be the starter.

Philadelphia Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 12:13 PM
Flyersfan139

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORYX View Post
There is no controversy, the season is young not to mention Bryz has played a much higher caliber opponent the Bob. Don't let the Leafs start fool you.
Exactly. And the defense was horrible both those games. Three were deflected into the net by our own players vs the Caps.

Flyersfan139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 12:36 PM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philadelphia Ducks View Post
I always wanted Bob to be our starter this year 8(. I loved him last season and this year he's been pretty good too. But pushing that to the side. Bryz is and will be the starting goalie for this team, even if he struggles. When you're given that contract you're going to be the starter.
No question about that. The issue for me is.....how long before the fans turn on the goalie. Vancouver turned sour on Luongo quickly. The other night against Washington he got the bronx cheer after letting in the 5th goal. Flyer fans were ripped on TV and on twitter for that by hockey observers. Got me thinking.....how long before the boo birds start. If they start......

Old
10-26-2011, 12:46 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
No question about that. The issue for me is.....how long before the fans turn on the goalie. Vancouver turned sour on Luongo quickly. The other night against Washington he got the bronx cheer after letting in the 5th goal. Flyer fans were ripped on TV and on twitter for that by hockey observers. Got me thinking.....how long before the boo birds start. If they start......
This is Philly. If he had 9 shutouts in a row then let in two bad goals he would get booed. Everyone gets booed in Philly at some point, whether they deserve it or not.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 01:00 PM
Hollywood Couturier

Bob and Bryz? Pssh who needs them. We got MFL who is 4-1 with a 2.51 GAA and a .918 SV% in the AHL. Call that guy up and this goalie controversy is solved.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 01:14 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philadelphia Ducks View Post
To add some flavor to this discussion here is the excerpt from Bob’s interview to the Sports. ru on 10/25/2011:

Q: When I had translated your quote “I am not worse than Bryzgalov” to Laviolete he smiled and said that he would not expect any other answer. He also added that any goalie on the team can become#1.
A: I have said it already that I am not content with the backup role. I will fight for the first all season long. Circumstances do not matter. I want to be the first, and I will be proving it to all.

Last edited by CSKA1974: 10-26-2011 at 01:33 PM.
CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 01:27 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Goalie controversy there is not. Bryz had a couple rough games against great teams. Bob had a couple good games against Ottawa and Toronto.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 01:32 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORYX View Post
You must not be aware that to most people on HF, stats are all that matters.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 02:30 PM
Puckboy

Who starts tonight

Puckboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 02:43 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckboy View Post
Who starts tonight
Bryz

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 02:51 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
It is early, but ALREADY I am noticing that Sam and other members of the Philly media are starting to kick up dirt. Personally, I LOVE that Bob is doing well and I have been pleased with Bryz so far (Washington is still on track for 82-0, so that game aside). But......this is Philly......and these are goalies.

So, How long before Bryz starts to hear the Boos. How long before Philly starts to want the Bob over Bryz?
This town is never satisfied. It was not that long ago we had no goalie. Now we have two. God I hate the media

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 03:25 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
This town is never satisfied. It was not that long ago we had no goalie. Now we have two. God I hate the media
This.

While I object to Bryz's contract, I sure as hell don't object to his current level of skill.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 03:36 PM
G Money

Considering our past it would not suprise me if BOB takes over the starting role by the end of the year.

We have bad luck when it comes to goalies.

G Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 03:38 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

The only controversy is that there is NO controversy. That's the problem. Both of our goalies are awesome. Bryzgalov is a top 10, potentially higher goalie in this league who's adjusting to a new defense group. One thing i see our defense doing lately that i dont like is instead of clearing players their trying to play the puck (shot block) more than usual which is a problem for any goalie. Both need to see the puck. Bryz just has a bigger body and handles high shots through traffic better although bob looks great in that dept. this year. Problem is not only communication its the way the defense is playing. Not as well as they should for one of the better crew of defensemen in the league. It's october and there's alot of sifting through B.S before any real evaluations are made. But 2 great goalies is never a controversy.

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote