HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Signing Pekka Rinne... $$ and Years

Old
10-28-2011, 08:05 AM
predfan98

vCash: 500
Signing Pekka Rinne... $$ and Years

what do you think?

I think it needs to get done soon.

5 years.

$$... I don't know.

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 08:08 AM
pekkaslap

I'm not sure they'll get him resigned. If they give him an "offer" any thing what they gave Weber, then I don't see it getting done.

pekkaslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 08:29 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by pekkaslap View Post
I'm not sure they'll get him resigned. If they give him an "offer" any thing what they gave Weber, then I don't see it getting done.
The rumored "offer" to Shea was long term at about $7mil. Don't confuse arbitration posturing with actual negotiations.

$5.5-6mil per year .... 3-5 years.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 08:31 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Cooper had a chat yesterday and he seems to think that all three are waiting on team performance and direction before even negotiating.

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 08:32 AM
pekkaslap

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
The rumored "offer" to Shea was long term at about $7mil. Don't confuse arbitration posturing with actual negotiations.
Well if that's true, maybe they're willing to shell out the cash to keep Pekka. I had only heard the 4 mil offer rumor. Maybe Weber doesn't want to be here like he says after all. PR is our MVP, we should keep him above the other 2 of the big 3 in my opinion.

Old
10-28-2011, 08:34 AM
pekkaslap

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Cooper had a chat yesterday and he seems to think that all three are waiting on team performance and direction before even negotiating.
So we have no chance to sign them unless we make a deep playoff run basically? I don't see this team as being any better than last year's team, maybe slightly worse personell-wise. I hope it doesn't just hinge on how well the team does this year.

Old
10-28-2011, 08:35 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by pekkaslap View Post
So we have no chance to sign them unless we make a deep playoff run basically? I don't see this team as being any better than last year's team, maybe slightly worse personell-wise. I hope it doesn't just hinge on how well the team does this year.
My thoughts as well. It also won't help the locker room atmosphere either.

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 08:41 AM
pekkaslap

I'll say this. If the Preds are unable to sign any of these 3 guys, then it will cement our status as a glorified farm team for defensemen and goalies for the rest of the league.

Old
10-28-2011, 09:16 AM
Legionnaire11
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
$5.5-6mil per year .... 3-5 years.
regardless of team performance, this has to be the max offer. It's top 5 goalie money, it doesn't matter where he signs, he's not going to beat that offer.

Of course, i'm not sure it's wise for the Preds to put up that much money on their goalie.

Legionnaire11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 09:16 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Well that's not good at all.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 09:42 AM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
Well that's not good at all.
No, it's not good, but I don't think that's anything we didn't know already. Poile already said (o.k., he says LOTS of things) that the player's timetable is different than his. I believe that the Weber fiasco put the other two guys in limbo. I understand that and probably would do the same thing if I was in their position since one can't say for sure the direction this team is heading.

Having said that, and since this is a Pekka thread, I would absolutely shadow Rinne's agent like a stalker if I was Poile and try and get something done. He's seems happy in Nashville, I doubt he would want the stress he would get in a larger market that could pay him big dollars, he's got Korn, the Trotz defense first approach helps him tremendously, etc. I think there are more and better reasons for Rinne to stay with the Preds than Suter or Weber for example, so why not try and hammer something out? A deal sends a positive message to both the organization and the fan base, so I think everybody wins if Poile can get something done.

Preds Partisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 09:58 AM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds Partisan View Post
Having said that, and since this is a Pekka thread, I would absolutely shadow Rinne's agent like a stalker if I was Poile and try and get something done. He's seems happy in Nashville, I doubt he would want the stress he would get in a larger market that could pay him big dollars, he's got Korn, the Trotz defense first approach helps him tremendously, etc. I think there are more and better reasons for Rinne to stay with the Preds than Suter or Weber for example, so why not try and hammer something out? A deal sends a positive message to both the organization and the fan base, so I think everybody wins if Poile can get something done.
My thoughts exactly.

Get something done with Rinne as soon as possible. This guy is legit, best goaltender we've ever had, and will be cheaper than the #1 D-man deals that Weber and Suter are in line for. He isn't "defense makes them look good Mason/Ellis", he is that good.

Sign Rinne, and you'll have a chance every single night for the next 3-5 years.

One of the big 3 is going to have to take the plunge and commit to the organization (well, they can all go FA, but I don't like to think about that), why not make it the all-world goaltender?

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 10:03 AM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

Personally, I'd love to see all three stay, if those three aren't satisfied with the direction of the team after five or ten games with a healthy lineup, trade them all but not for draft picks

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 11:20 AM
Drake744
@imdrakesmith

vCash: 325
I posted this in another thread a few days ago and although I know this is a "Pekka" thread, I'm unleashing my thoughts anyway.

We have to wonder if we're on the "outside looking in" come February if Poile would be looking to trade one of the three.

I think in order of likelihood to stay with us if things go normally it's: Suter, Rinne, Weber.

Remember Weber is restricted after the season, so if he signs somewhere else we're going to get a lot of meaningful draft picks in return (I can already sense Poile's excitement), so I doubt he is traded unless a team is really desperate. I wouldn't be surprised if a team put a lot on the table to trade for him near the deadline though. Especially a big market team with some players who we could use in return. Desperation moves rarely work, but there's always a team having a good season that is willing to make a questionable trade wrapped up in their current season.

I can see Suter staying here more than Weber, but still it's risky as hell to go into free agency without trying to get some serious trade value for him rather than nothing at all. Obviously Poile will be feeling it out and will have some sense of Suter's future plans, but again I wouldn't be shocked if he was traded. Although the difficulty is that if you trade Suter for value AND trade Weber for value we won't be able to afford all the pieces we traded for eventually. Of course draft picks are the easiest way out of this because they aren't NHL ready (yay) so who knows maybe Poile goes that way with Weber.

Rinne is interesting because we've been traditionally awesome with goaltenders, but he is the best of the best. Do we get over-confident in our ability to move on without him, or do we do whatever it takes to bring him back? Also of course the player's personal opinion of our situation will play into these decisions but I do think that Pekka is comfortable here and, like someone else said, he may not enjoy the pressure and scrutiny of willingly signing with a bigger market club. Another thing to remember is that Pekka is already turning 29 next week, and will be almost 30 after beginning his new contract with someone next season. Maybe not that big of a deal, but then again maybe he's looking for his potentially one and only big time contract.

I know it's all speculation but just for fun I'm going to say it plays out like this......Weber is traded at the deadline for a good amount that shakes our team up. With a few new faces heading into the end of the season, we get some new life. People are excited, and then Suter re-signs for 4 years/23 million (average 5.75 mil/year) and Pekka re-signs for 3 years/18 million (6 mil/yr).

Heyooooo crystal ball.

Last edited by Drake744: 10-28-2011 at 11:27 AM.
Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 11:38 AM
Filip Forceberg

Let's trade an unsigned Suter for a legit scorer and then sign UFA Suter in the offseason. Brilliant.

Filip Forceberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 11:39 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I guess negotiations can take place, but isn't it true that no extensions can be signed until after January 1?

As far as terms I think Pekka ought to be signed to a four year, $5.5m/yr contract. It carries him until he is nearly 34, so if he begins to decline the team isn't on the hook with a big contract. $5.5m puts him in the same neighborhood as the best goaltenders in the league.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 11:45 AM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I guess negotiations can take place, but isn't it true that no extensions can be signed until after January 1?

As far as terms I think Pekka ought to be signed to a four year, $5.5m/yr contract. It carries him until he is nearly 34, so if he begins to decline the team isn't on the hook with a big contract. $5.5m puts him in the same neighborhood as the best goaltenders in the league.
Only in the case of Shea Weber since his contract is an arbitration award.

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 11:49 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Singleton View Post
Only in the case of Shea Weber since his contract is an arbitration award.
Ah ok. Thanks.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 12:20 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

vCash: 788
This organization cannot afford three $6-7 million players, maybe not even two.

As long as we don't let any of them walk away for nothing we'll be ok. The question us whether Poile will continue to bungle these three FAs.

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 12:45 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds19 View Post
This organization cannot afford three $6-7 million players, maybe not even two.

As long as we don't let any of them walk away for nothing we'll be ok. The question us whether Poile will continue to bungle these three FAs.
With the ever increasing cap the team almost needs at least two $6mil + players.

Old
10-28-2011, 01:19 PM
Legionnaire11
HFBoards Sponsor

Rinne probably isn't very trade-able since the trade market for goalies is never high.

Weber is the most coveted and would return multiple players in trade. Suter is similar to Weber but would return a bit less.

In the case of the two defensemen, given the history of trades involving elite players. There just isn't a trade that makes sense to improve the team for this season's playoff run. We could get a small haul if we're out of it at the deadline just to ensure we don't lose these guys for nothing, but it will be last-leg journeymen and underwhelming prospects. Something could come from it, but rarely does.

The only legit way to add key pieces is to deal for draft picks and hope you win that gamble. If that's the route Poile takes, it signals a definite rebuild IMO and that's a tough message for the franchise to send.

Our best bet is to make our best attempt to sign all 3 to market worthy contracts and hope that our forwards keep developing.

Legionnaire11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 01:54 PM
dulzhok

This is a telling time for our franchise.

We've developed some high level players (on D and in goal), we made it out the 1st round for the first time, attendance has been pretty good, ownership seems stable..

How things are handled here will dicate if we are a team that's serious about winning, or a team that's always going to have to scrape by...

I'm not say we have to keep all 3. They either need to sign long-term, or we need to maximize our return. But we can not afford to have any one of them walk.

Last edited by dulzhok: 10-28-2011 at 01:59 PM.
dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 02:00 PM
CalleJAMkrok
Weber/Neal/Rinne

Quote:
With the ever increasing cap the team almost needs at least two $6mil + players.
Are we even sure the cap is rising? I have heard some chatter of a lot of the current teams not even to be able to reach the cap floor so because the leagues $ comes from the teams it would make sense to have it lowered so more teams can compete and create more revenue without others having to give some away.....?

CalleJAMkrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 02:09 PM
belle

Quote:
They are not part of the team's performance or direction?

If that is each individual's view then they are gone. They don't view themselves as part of a solution (or a Nashville Predator's Stanley Cup run).

belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 02:32 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goc Ya View Post
Are we even sure the cap is rising? I have heard some chatter of a lot of the current teams not even to be able to reach the cap floor so because the leagues $ comes from the teams it would make sense to have it lowered so more teams can compete and create more revenue without others having to give some away.....?
If league revenues equal X, then the cap is y .... its a plug and play formula.