HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kyle Turris asks for a trade; TSN Reports 'Calgary and Ottawa Hottest Pursuers'

Closed Thread

Old
10-27-2011, 12:32 PM
BruinsNeedaRussian

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Vezina Thomas View Post
I mean, I wanna call him a little biatch for not playing, but who wants to play in Phoenix, Arizona? No offense to Coyotes fans. Who would wanna play football in British Columbia? Probably no one.

I highly doubt he isnt moved by December 1st, the Yotes could get some significant assets for him and I just dont see them getting those assets when they could use every bit of talent they can muster.

Does anyone have any insight on what he could ask for? 1st, NHL player and a prospect? Just prospects?
Doubt he would garner anything significant.

Old
10-27-2011, 12:33 PM
None Shall Pass
Cory Stops All

$4M for him would be overpayment.

He has his rights to ask, just as he is an RFA, Maloney has every right to sit on him. Welcome to your terms of employment.

Quite an ego for a guy who has done, literally, nothing.

Old
Stewie G

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanchild View Post
because every person should be forced to have someone own thier rights for 7 years and dictate everything in thier life, because they happen to be exceptional at what they do.
He should have never signed a contract if he didn't like the terms. I'm sure there are other leagues out there he could have chosen to play in that don't have the same restrictions.

Old
Levitate

Hilarious. Don't trade him, Maloney.

Old
10-27-2011, 12:35 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

This pretty much confirms Turris is done in Phoenix. I'm sure Maloney could get something decent for Turris, but buyer beware. He's not ready to be an impact player at this level.

Old
Reign Nateo

They need to trade him and be done with this fiasco. Probably doesn't want to play in Tippet's system any more. Tippet may stifle offence, but he gets results. Easy choice for the Coyotes here. He's still got good value (ie: Don't compare him to Filatov).

Old
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
I'd be surprised if Turris wasn't moved before Christmas. His value is just going to deteriorate the longer he sits out. To refuse to trade him because of some principal, to me, is just biting off your nose to spite your face.
He has to be signed by DEC 1 or he won't play at all this year

Quote:
Originally Posted by stallion19 View Post
Turris' agent said DM received several significant offers. Who really knows if that's true. He could be trying to create a market or put pressure on DM to deal him.
You're right, good call

Also, awesome avatar

Old
10-27-2011, 12:36 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
I'm surprised how many people can feel so strongly about one side or the other without taking everything into account.

On one hand, I understand Don Maloney's position. Kyle Turris is a RFA and, by all rights, belongs to the Phoenix Coyotes and if Maloney doesn't want to deal him, he doesn't have to.

On the other, why would you keep someone who obviously doesn't want to play for your team? Many teams in the league have had to deal with it at one point or another (Edmonton with Pronger, Ottawa with Heatley and Berard, Vancouver with Bure, etc. etc.). It sucks, but it doesn't help your team any to keep said player around.

And with Turris, we don't know that he didn't quietly ask for a trade earlier, nor was that $4 million demand ever really substantiated (i.e. I don't recall LeBrun, McKenzie or either Phoenix or Turris talking about it). It may come down to him just not liking Dave Tippett. That happens.

I'd be surprised if Turris wasn't moved before Christmas. His value is just going to deteriorate the longer he sits out. To refuse to trade him because of some principal, to me, is just biting off your nose to spite your face.
I think the problem is he has to be dealt before Dec 1st as you need to be signed by then to play. Although I guess a team could take him at the trade deadline in return for a vet, but that would be PHO being in the playoffs and having the green light to spend some cash.

Old
10-27-2011, 12:38 PM
Fehr Time*
The Don of Hockey

Hopefully Turris gets what he wants asap here so he can get his career on track in a new environment.

Old
10-27-2011, 12:39 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by stallion19 View Post
Turris' agent said DM received several significant offers. Who really knows if that's true. He could be trying to create a market or put pressure on DM to deal him.
I think it's reasonable to believe that Turris' agent and DM would have differing opinions on what constitutes a "significant offer" for Turris.

Old
10-27-2011, 12:39 PM
Lex Lupul

It's really awful that a 21 year old would have the nerve to want to decide where he wants to work, especially when he has a special talent and in a free market could bring in millions for any number of employers accross the world.

Old
10-27-2011, 12:41 PM
None Shall Pass
Cory Stops All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex Lupul View Post
It's really awful that a 21 year old would have the nerve to want to decide where he wants to work, especially when he has a special talent and in a free market could bring in millions for any number of employers accross the world.
Then he should play in a league where there aren't established, well-explained rules dictating what young players can and can't do. He's not a victim.

Old
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
I think it's reasonable to believe that Turris' agent and DM would have differing opinions on what constitutes a "significant offer" for Turris.
That's the thing. Maybe they're being offered guys that make 2-3mil that are good players, but PHO might not be allowed to pull the trigger on that kind of salary.

This just isn't PHO and Turris. The NHL is involved too.

Old
CalleJAMkrok
Weber/Neal/Rinne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fehr Time View Post
Hopefully Turris gets what he wants asap here so he can get his career on track in a new environment.
You know what time it is everyone?

ITS FEHR TIME!!!

Old
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
He's free to go play around the world right now. KHL, Sweden, Finland, Switzerland, etc.

Old
BruinsNeedaRussian

Quote:
1-1.8 isn't millions.

Old
10-27-2011, 12:42 PM
Andrew Mack

Hmm...

If I was Maloney I'd hold his rights until they expire and not even entertain any offers. If he puts Turris in the driver's seat it will really burn him in the long run. For someone who has done nothing, Turris is pretty demanding.

If I was Turris, I'd have requested a trade, accept a one-year deal and play until they could accomodate me. But I guess with restricted rights he is still technically a free agent, so obviously he feels there is a better fit out there going forward and is holding out for it.

Old
10-27-2011, 12:42 PM
None Shall Pass
Cory Stops All

"#occupyCBA" - Kyle Turris

Old
10-27-2011, 12:43 PM
TreeSapLlama

Quote:
What is awful is his desire to void a contract he already signed in good faith. Don Maloney has every right and should exercise it as such; Wait him out.

Old
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

Maloney sounds awfully sour there.

Old
Levitate

To people wondering why Maloney doesn't want to trade him, think about it a bit

Phoenix is a struggling franchise, the butt of jokes, and is desperately trying to get fans to show up. Basically, a place where a lot of players probably wouldn't want to play.

Maloney is trying to make a statement to all the guys Phoenix drafts, and who are in their system, that they can't just force themselves out of Phoenix because maybe they want to go play for another team.

If you let Turris go, who knows who the next guy is that demands an unreasonable contract or a trade. Maloney is giving notice that there will be real consequences for players who try to force their way off the team, and considering Phoenix's position, it's a good move (for the franchise at least)

Old
10-27-2011, 12:44 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Injured Reserve

vCash: 1000
This is going to be a tough decision for Maloney.

On one hand, Turris is a former 3rd overall pick and someone the Coyotes were depending on as a building block for their future. To part with him, they'd need/want someone who can have the kind of impact on their franchise that they were hoping Turris would have when they selected him that high.

On the other hand, Turris' performance to date likely won't yield an impact player in return. Maloney might have to settle for a package that isn't quite what he'd ideally want as a replacement for a player selected with a 3rd overall draft pick.

So Maloney basically has to find a deal that's as close to achieving the former, while not demanding too much as to ignore the latter.

Old
10-27-2011, 12:44 PM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winroba View Post
The link says they've had several significant offers

If you mean football football then the Lions are doing awesome, if you mean soccer football then yeah the Whitecaps suck
Rephrase...

Who would want to play football in Alaska? Lol.

Turris is from BC...his team is disappointed in his development, disappointed in him as a person...why would he want to re sign there? He doesnt have much leeway here, but I still highly doubt he isnt moved by December 1st.

Old
10-27-2011, 12:45 PM
tantalum

Turris is a free agent..restricted but that just means a team holds his rights and nothing more. As a restricted free agent he is simply using what leverage the CBA gives him. He is in no way shape or form required to sign a contract with phoenix if he doesn't want to, or play another game with them. He had a contract and honoured it (in fact had his best games at the very end of that contract).

There is nothing wrong with what he is doing. Now the more valid question would be "has he made the right decision to potentially miss an entire year of development by playing this one card the CBa gives him to play?" He obviously thinks it is. I'm not convinced that is the case.

And of course the Coyotes are doing nothing wrong by letting him sit and not trading him. Though, i think the Coyotes would be best served by dealing him if Turris is 100% committed to sitting out the year instead of playing with the team which appears to be the case.

When all is said and done I expect Turris will sign a low money one year deal with whatever team trades for him and then look for the long term deal next summer. His demands, as expected, were just a way to force the Coyotes hand.

Old
10-27-2011, 12:45 PM
Fehr Time*
The Don of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeSapLlama View Post
What is awful is his desire to void a contract he already signed in good faith. Don Maloney has every right and should exercise it as such; Wait him out.
He is not currently under contract, it is just that Phoenix (unfairly imo) owns his rights.

Closed Thread