HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kyle Turris asks for a trade; TSN Reports 'Calgary and Ottawa Hottest Pursuers'

Closed Thread

Old
10-27-2011, 11:45 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winroba View Post
No, he never asked for a trade, he just didn't want to talk contract
that makes a whole lotta sense

doesnt have a contract....doesnt want to talk contract, but didn't ask to be traded. so basically he didnt want to play?

Old
10-27-2011, 11:45 AM
Ishad

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeSapLlama View Post
What is awful is his desire to void a contract he already signed in good faith. Don Maloney has every right and should exercise it as such; Wait him out.
Turris doesn't have a contract

Old
10-27-2011, 11:46 AM
IcedCapp
You're wrong. :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex Lupul View Post
It's really awful that a 21 year old would have the nerve to want to decide where he wants to work, especially when he has a special talent and in a free market could bring in millions for any number of employers accross the world.
It's really awful that the current situation is a collectively bargained set of rules and regulations... agreed on by... the players.

Poor, tortured souls.

Old
10-27-2011, 11:47 AM
Finkle is Einhorn

Quote:
What is awful is his desire to void a contract he already signed in good faith. Don Maloney has every right and should exercise it as such; Wait him out.
He's not trying to void anything. Ignoring the practical and ethical implications of the actions of both parties, Turris and the Coyotes are both contractually within their rights to do what they're doing.

Old
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Please Mr. GM of the Yotes.

bench Turris as long as you can and let him rott somewhere in press box.
The Gm's have to start to work together to show these youngsters they better don't fool around.
This is getting rediculous.

There should be a silent agreement between the GM's and he can chose between getting head straight or playing in Italy

Old
Iggy77

I'm confused what's going on here.

His agent seems to state that Turris (privately) requested a trade since day 1, it was never about the money. They only publicly confirmed this now, but it's been widely speculated that this was the case.

Did Phoenix indicate Turris was being greedy to cover this up ? Did Turris say "Trade me, but hey if you pay me something ridiculous like $4M I'll stay".

Old
10-27-2011, 11:48 AM
Fehr Time*
The Don of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
That's the thing. Maybe they're being offered guys that make 2-3mil that are good players, but PHO might not be allowed to pull the trigger on that kind of salary.

This just isn't PHO and Turris. The NHL is involved too.
Good point. Turris is the victim of some unusual circumstances here no doubt. Certainly have to admire his bravery.

Old
10-27-2011, 11:48 AM
Pi

vCash: 100
I think Maloney should let him rot this year...Why ask for 4M at the start? It's an obvious demand for a trade..then why not just start with that from the very beginning?

Maloney should trade him next year.. this year just let it be. Serves him right TBH.

Old
10-27-2011, 11:49 AM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fehr Time View Post
Good point. Turris is the victim of some unusual circumstances here no doubt. Certainly have to admire his bravery.
Nope. No you don't.

Old
10-27-2011, 11:49 AM
Fehr Time*
The Don of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post

The Gm's have to start to work together to show these youngsters they better don't fool around.

There should be a silent agreement between the GM's and he can chose between getting head straight or playing in Italy
Sounds like collusion...

Old
10-27-2011, 11:50 AM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

Go, go, union busting!

Old
10-27-2011, 11:50 AM
oilers4life5

Phx what would you want from Oilers for Turris?
What is fair Value to you guys and what are your needs?
Prospects? Picks? NHLers? combination?

We have lots of prospects and picks to offer and some decent NHL players, lets make a deal!

Old
10-27-2011, 11:51 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 406
Quote:
What has been voided?

Old
NeilYoung

Kids a brat playing in the NHL is a privledge I dont think he realizes hasn't proven **** I hope he never plays another NHL game

Old
WJG
Running and Rioting

It's never a good idea not to trade a player who doesn't want to be there. They become a problem in the locker room and start playing with zero effort.

I don't know why Turris didn't just publicly request a trade from the beginning. Maybe he did, but Maloney just refused. Mueller is gone, Tikhonov is off to the KHL and MacLean was claimed off of waivers. That only leaves Boedker and Hanzal to carry the offense once Doan retires. Maloney can't do his job the way he wants with the future core of his team wanting out one by one.

Old
10-27-2011, 11:53 AM
MakeTheIronSing

I can kind of imagine what the initial negotiations must have been like.
"Kyle you are a valued prospect in our 'organization', and we'd like to offer you x amount of money in recognition of that"
"I think that's a little undervalued"
"Well, technically we have no money at all so we can't offer you more at this time"
"Well trade me then"
"The problem is we can't afford to pay the person we'd trade you for either"

You don't have to predict the weather to understand where the problem is. Pheonix is bankrupt, their future is uncertain and Turris is trying to squeeze them out of money they most likely don't even have.

Old
oilers4life5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
I think Maloney should let him rot this year...Why ask for 4M at the start? It's an obvious demand for a trade..then why not just start with that from the very beginning?

Maloney should trade him next year.. this year just let it be. Serves him right TBH.
He did ask for a trade from the start! never demanded crazy money! Lets all get the facts straight! He wanted a trade Phx refused, that is there right they own him. It will be a stare down until someone blinks. We have all had players do the same it just hurts when it is a high draft pick.

Old
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
I completely endorse Maloney's stance in this situation. Make him sit until he's ready to sign and play. Unless he receives an offer that blows his socks off to trade him.

Old
10-27-2011, 11:54 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post

Its not new. Eric Lindros did worse 20 years ago. I say worse because he didn't even give the franchise that picked him at the time a chance.

Maloney should trade him to the highest bidder. The return will likely be more effective on the ice than an unhappy youngster who doesn't want to be there..

Old
10-27-2011, 11:55 AM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeTheIronSing View Post
"Kyle you are a valued prospect in our 'organization', and we'd like to offer you x amount of money in recognition of that"
"Well, technically we have no money at all so we can't offer you more at this time"
"Well trade me then"

You don't have to predict the weather to understand where the problem is. Pheonix is bankrupt, their future is uncertain and Turris is trying to squeeze them out of money they most likely don't even have.
I disagree. It's not about the money, Phoenix is capable of offering more than what's fair in Turris' case.

Old
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

It doesn't really matter is Maloney is "right" or not. Coming off like a bitter ******* willing to black ball players for looking at him funny is not good for his, or his organizations, image. I don't like what Heatley did in Ottawa, but Murray generally kept his mouth shut and did what had to be done.

Old
Paradingwolves

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
I'm surprised how many people can feel so strongly about one side or the other without taking everything into account.

On one hand, I understand Don Maloney's position. Kyle Turris is a RFA and, by all rights, belongs to the Phoenix Coyotes and if Maloney doesn't want to deal him, he doesn't have to.

On the other, why would you keep someone who obviously doesn't want to play for your team? Many teams in the league have had to deal with it at one point or another (Edmonton with Pronger, Ottawa with Heatley and Berard, Vancouver with Bure, etc. etc.). It sucks, but it doesn't help your team any to keep said player around.

And with Turris, we don't know that he didn't quietly ask for a trade earlier, nor was that $4 million demand ever really substantiated (i.e. I don't recall LeBrun, McKenzie or either Phoenix or Turris talking about it). It may come down to him just not liking Dave Tippett. That happens.

I'd be surprised if Turris wasn't moved before Christmas. His value is just going to deteriorate the longer he sits out. To refuse to trade him because of some principal, to me, is just biting off your nose to spite your face.

EDIT: After reading a bit more, it's apparent that Turris DID quietly ask for a trade from Day 1, so this latest announcement is to put pressure on Maloney who is refusing to trade him.
I 100% agree with you. I'm sure Turris did quietly ask to be traded behind closed doors and Maloney is not giving in due to ego or whatever reason. He could definitely get fair value for Turris, well maybe not now that every GM knows he has to trade him or let an asset sit unused. By having this macho "I won't let no little punk tell me where he wants to play" attitude he's hurting his team and Turris.

Not that Turris is right here, neither is, this is lose lose for both parties.

Old
10-27-2011, 11:56 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
It's never a good idea not to trade a player who doesn't want to be there. They become a problem in the locker room and start playing with zero effort.
He doesn't have a contract so he's not in the locker room or playing at all

Old
10-27-2011, 11:56 AM
Sideline

If I were a prospect drafted by the Coyotes I wouldn't even sign an ELC. I'd just go back into the draft 2 years later.

Old
10-27-2011, 11:57 AM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeTheIronSing View Post
"Well trade me then"

You don't have to predict the weather to understand where the problem is. Pheonix is bankrupt, their future is uncertain and Turris is trying to squeeze them out of money he doesn't deserve and money they most likely don't even have.
Added a part you missed.

Closed Thread