HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kyle Turris asks for a trade; TSN Reports 'Calgary and Ottawa Hottest Pursuers'

Closed Thread

Old
10-27-2011, 11:57 AM
Shellz

vCash: 500
What a little punk.

Old
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

All of you guys who are saying he should rot are wrong. If he wants a trade, trade him.

Old
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
The return will likely be more effective on the ice than an unhappy youngster who doesn't want to be there..
The return will likely be more effective on the ice than someone who can't play because he doesn't have a contract.

Old
10-27-2011, 11:58 AM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
To people wondering why Maloney doesn't want to trade him, think about it a bit

Phoenix is a struggling franchise, the butt of jokes, and is desperately trying to get fans to show up. Basically, a place where a lot of players probably wouldn't want to play.

Maloney is trying to make a statement to all the guys Phoenix drafts, and who are in their system, that they can't just force themselves out of Phoenix because maybe they want to go play for another team.

If you let Turris go, who knows who the next guy is that demands an unreasonable contract or a trade. Maloney is giving notice that there will be real consequences for players who try to force their way off the team, and considering Phoenix's position, it's a good move (for the franchise at least)
All valid points BUT Maloney didn't put the team in Phoenix. I know his job is to succeed with the franchise, but if trading a player who demands a trade (even if he shouldn't have the leeway to do so) is opening the door to all of the potential problems you mentioned, maybe it's the NHL who should take notice and realize that an NHL franchise in PHX just isn't as viable as they thought. The location is probably a large part of the reason said player is demanding a trade. It's also a large part of why the NHL is pretty much running the team. Maloney having to consider all of the things you mention goes beyond the duties of many other GMs because the franchise in Phoenix, no offense to the many good PHX fans that I know there are, overall isn't a good idea.

Old
10-27-2011, 11:59 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
I'm surprised how many people can feel so strongly about one side or the other without taking everything into account.

On one hand, I understand Don Maloney's position. Kyle Turris is a RFA and, by all rights, belongs to the Phoenix Coyotes and if Maloney doesn't want to deal him, he doesn't have to.

On the other, why would you keep someone who obviously doesn't want to play for your team? Many teams in the league have had to deal with it at one point or another (Edmonton with Pronger, Ottawa with Heatley and Berard, Vancouver with Bure, etc. etc.). It sucks, but it doesn't help your team any to keep said player around.

And with Turris, we don't know that he didn't quietly ask for a trade earlier, nor was that $4 million demand ever really substantiated (i.e. I don't recall LeBrun, McKenzie or either Phoenix or Turris talking about it). It may come down to him just not liking Dave Tippett. That happens.

I'd be surprised if Turris wasn't moved before Christmas. His value is just going to deteriorate the longer he sits out. To refuse to trade him because of some principal, to me, is just biting off your nose to spite your face.

EDIT: After reading a bit more, it's apparent that Turris DID quietly ask for a trade from Day 1, so this latest announcement is to put pressure on Maloney who is refusing to trade him.
It depends on the circumstances. If a player makes it clear that he doesn't want to play for a very good team or a team with a long history of success, let's use Detroit as an example, then the team probably deals the player for comparable return. Why? Well, there is no pressure. The player is swimming against the tide, for whatever reason. More players want to join Detroit than want to leave Detroit.

Now let's swap out Detroit and insert instead a team that may historically struggle to find success, may have budget restrictions, or may not be in a desirable location from a quality of life point of view. Perhaps all the above.

If a player wants out of that team, a GM might stand on principle. Why? Well, the player is one of many who may want out. Give in without a fight, and what message does that send to your other roster players or your stable of prospects? Few, in their heart of hearts, consider their organization to be their #1, or #2 or #10 choice.

It's easy for a team that players want to play for to be dispassionate and acquiesce to a player's trade request, but it's more difficult if every time you turn around a player wants out, or the media is slagging your city, location, financial situation, management, ownership...

A GM in the latter situation has to wonder if trading a disgruntled player sets a bad precedent for the other disgruntled members of the organization.

Old
10-27-2011, 11:59 AM
jmart21
MISC!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
I'm surprised how many people can feel so strongly about one side or the other without taking everything into account.

On one hand, I understand Don Maloney's position. Kyle Turris is a RFA and, by all rights, belongs to the Phoenix Coyotes and if Maloney doesn't want to deal him, he doesn't have to.

On the other, why would you keep someone who obviously doesn't want to play for your team? Many teams in the league have had to deal with it at one point or another (Edmonton with Pronger, Ottawa with Heatley and Berard, Vancouver with Bure, etc. etc.). It sucks, but it doesn't help your team any to keep said player around.

And with Turris, we don't know that he didn't quietly ask for a trade earlier, nor was that $4 million demand ever really substantiated (i.e. I don't recall LeBrun, McKenzie or either Phoenix or Turris talking about it). It may come down to him just not liking Dave Tippett. That happens.

I'd be surprised if Turris wasn't moved before Christmas. His value is just going to deteriorate the longer he sits out. To refuse to trade him because of some principal, to me, is just biting off your nose to spite your face.

EDIT: After reading a bit more, it's apparent that Turris DID quietly ask for a trade from Day 1, so this latest announcement is to put pressure on Maloney who is refusing to trade him.

This is exactly what I don't get about Maloney's stance.

Yeah it sucks that one of your "top" propects wants out; no matter what principles dictate.

But when a guy is so strong against playing for your team; shouldn't that set off the alarm bells in your head that you shouldn't force him into the dressing room?

You should be playing someone that doesn't want to be there. I don't see how forcing Turris to play for him would create any kind of positive outcome for either team...

Best option for both parties is to trade him. I get that Maloney is upset and he has every right to be. But he's got to wipe away the tears and realize trading him is the only way to make this end "well".

Old
10-27-2011, 12:01 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Was about time!

Old
doaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesWiznewski View Post
All of you guys who are saying he should rot are wrong. If he wants a trade, trade him.
So we should let rfa's dictate to organizations where they should go?

I bet if this happened in a "traditional market" everyone would be more upset. What a joke!

Old
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

Maloney is taking the "murder/suicide" option.

Old
10-27-2011, 12:02 PM
Lex Lupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeSapLlama View Post
What is awful is his desire to void a contract he already signed in good faith. Don Maloney has every right and should exercise it as such; Wait him out.
He's not under contract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
He's free to go play around the world right now. KHL, Sweden, Finland, Switzerland, etc.
There are 29 cities in North America he should be able to play, who'd all take him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by None Shall Pass View Post
Then he should play in a league where there aren't established, well-explained rules dictating what young players can and can't do. He's not a victim.
Why are there established rules? If you worked in an industry where your union negotiated away your right to work for whichever company you wanted, and a larger governing body prevented you from working outside the union, you'd be fairly angry too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
It's really awful that the current situation is a collectively bargained set of rules and regulations... agreed on by... the players.

Poor, tortured souls.
Kyle Turris was 16 when that agreement was signed. Is it his fault that the veteran players have been selling out the younger ones for years? Again, this is different from other collective bargaining because it's physically impossible to work outside the union.

EDIT: Pardon me, CBA was signed in July, Turris was born in August. He was 15 when the deal was agreed to.

Old
Shellz

I feel bad for the team that gets him.

Old
joestevens29

vCash: 688
It's funny people get mad at Turris for going public, yet it hasn't been him that has been telling the media that I will never trade him and I'll sit him all year.

Old
10-27-2011, 12:03 PM
Sedin Twins

Tough situation for both.

Maloney sees that Turris is about to break out, and even if he played one more year in Phoenix, his trade value would rise significantly, currently you wouldn't be able to get much for him. I understand his stance

Turris just doesn't want to play there, but if he sits out for even an entire year, it could have a hugely negative impact on his career. I sort of understand where he's coming from, but I think he should bite the bullet for one year, prove himself so that Maloney can trade him for something useful

Old
10-27-2011, 12:03 PM
Lex Lupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by doaner View Post
So we should let rfa's dictate to organizations where they should go?

I bet if this happened in a "traditional market" everyone would be more upset. What a joke!
Yes, people should be allowed to decide where they work. Why is this wrong? Because he's young, rich, and successful?

Old
10-27-2011, 12:04 PM
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

Is this the same Maloney who put MacLean on waivers so he could go to another franchise? Wasn't that per MacLean's request?? He was arguably their best forward prospect at the time.

Old
10-27-2011, 12:05 PM
Fehr Time*
The Don of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by doaner View Post
So we should let rfa's dictate to organizations where they should go? I bet if this happened in a "traditional market" everyone would be more upset. What a joke!
Why not? It's their career. Teams should be happy to just have the opportunity to have such great athletes play for their club.

Old
10-27-2011, 12:05 PM
goyotes

Turris has now painted himself into a corner. Its not going to work out well for him. Too bad, he could have had a decent NHL career.

Old
10-27-2011, 12:06 PM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

Meanwhile Boedker and OEL have looked great so far. It's not us Kyle, it's you.

Old
10-27-2011, 12:06 PM
oceanchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Yote View Post
If you choose to play in a league where those are the negotiated terms of your employment then yes, you should be forced to follow those rules.
Because your choices are what give up millions of dollars or move to Russia. Aside from professional athletes thier is not one career in the world where employeers are able to dictate this BS.

Thats like you saying to an african american in the 60's if you choose to ride the bus you can get to the back.

Old
10-27-2011, 12:07 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Out of interest was there a time recently when a player demanded a trade and didn't get traded? I find this somewhat fascinating from a pure theoretical stand point because there is absolutely no way Turris comes crawling back to Phoenix with his tail between his legs after all that has happened.

Old
WJG
Running and Rioting

Turris probably would have gotten his wish and been traded if:

Peter Mueller didn't ask for a trade
Wojtek Wolski didn't ask for a trade
Viktor Tikhonov didn't leave for the KHL
Brett MacLean didn't ask to be placed on waivers

Maloney clearly didn't want to give in to the demands of so many young players and Turris ended up being the straw that broke the camel's back.

Old
mitch27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex Lupul View Post
Yes, people should be allowed to decide where they work. Why is this wrong? Because he's young, rich, and successful?
Oh he can decide where he works all he wants. If he wants to work in Vancouver he can go right ahead. It just won't be playing professional hockey that's all.

Old
10-27-2011, 12:08 PM
jmart21
MISC!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man View Post
Maloney is taking the "murder/suicide" option.
This describes it perfectly. Well said my friend.

Old
Lex Lupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyotes View Post
Turris has now painted himself into a corner. Its not going to work out well for him. Too bad, he could have had a decent NHL career.
lol, yeah, okay. Even if NHL GMs thought he was in the wrong, what makes you think that would prevent them from acquiring him for their own personal gain? Pronger and Heatley found takers. All sorts of prospects have held out, and their careers didn't end. Truth is, it's a business and nobody cares that Turris broke the hearts of the Coyotes' fans.

Old
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanchild View Post
Because your choices are what give up millions of dollars or move to Russia. Aside from professional athletes thier is not one career in the world where employeers are able to dictate this BS.
Then he should've gotten his college degree, went to work for Cargill or 3m or some ****, made his $50,000 per year and nobody would give a **** about his plights.

Closed Thread