HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kyle Turris asks for a trade; TSN Reports 'Calgary and Ottawa Hottest Pursuers'

Closed Thread

Old
10-27-2011, 12:10 PM
mitch27

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
Then he should've gotten his college degree, went to work for Cargill or 3m or some ****, made his $50,000 per year and nobody would give a **** about his plights.
This.

Old
Lex Lupul

Everyone talking about the rules and whatever or about how if he wanted to decide where he can work he can just not work in the NHL: What do you think he's been doing for the past two months?

Old
BloatedGuppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
A GM in the latter situation has to wonder if trading a disgruntled player sets a bad precedent for the other disgruntled members of the organization.
It sets the precedent that "If you don't like it here, tough, you're trapped here". An organization having difficulty attracting/holding on to players should probably be MORE inclined to bend over backwards to smooth things out for players. You can afford to play hardball when everyone wants to play there anyway. When you're already Siberia and you add "Plus, we'll be total dicks if you ever want to leave" to your resume, I can't imagine how that's meant to help things.

It all comes down to why Turris wants to leave. Everyone is assuming he's being a prima donna. If he has salient reasons for wanting to play elsewhere, the team should accommodate that. Getting into a slap fight with Turris isn't going to help Phoenix on any level. This is a business. The smart business decision is to offload your asset before it becomes toxic.

Old
10-27-2011, 12:11 PM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Turris should be made an example of imo. Tell him to stay home until he decides he wants to play a game for tons of money in Phoenix or until he decides to bolt overseas. Some players are far too prima donna'ish, you're getting paid a **** load of money to play a damn game, a team drafts you and invests both time and money in your development. They patiently wait while you struggle through a rookie contract while you collect a couple mill off them in salary. Then you try to screw the team over for your second contract. Pretty shady.

Old
10-27-2011, 12:11 PM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
Turris has Jack Skille written all over him: Young, highly touted, and highly entitled player wants his ice time gift wrapped for him based on his draft position rather than what he's earned.

Can't wait to see this kid fail in whatever market he's traded to.

Old
10-27-2011, 12:12 PM
Lex Lupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
Turris should be made an example of imo. Tell him to stay home until he decides he wants to play a game for tons of money in Phoenix or until he decides to bolt overseas. Some players are far too prima donna'ish, you're getting paid a **** load of money to play a damn game, a team drafts you and invests both time and money in your development. They patiently wait while you struggle through a rookie contract while you collect a couple mill off them in salary. Then you try to screw the team over for your second contract. Pretty shady.
lol, cool, so there you have it. First person admits that they only care because he's making lots of money.

Old
10-27-2011, 12:13 PM
Finkle is Einhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
To people wondering why Maloney doesn't want to trade him, think about it a bit

Phoenix is a struggling franchise, the butt of jokes, and is desperately trying to get fans to show up. Basically, a place where a lot of players probably wouldn't want to play.

Maloney is trying to make a statement to all the guys Phoenix drafts, and who are in their system, that they can't just force themselves out of Phoenix because maybe they want to go play for another team.

If you let Turris go, who knows who the next guy is that demands an unreasonable contract or a trade. Maloney is giving notice that there will be real consequences for players who try to force their way off the team, and considering Phoenix's position, it's a good move (for the franchise at least)
I agree with all of this in theory, but I'm fairly certain the history doesn't back it up. Lindros refusing to play for the Nordiques didn't prompt future draft picks to refuse to play for the team, Bure wanting out of a bad situation in Vancouver didn't give anyone else any bright ideas, and no one tried to follow Heatley's lead out of a poor team in Ottawa.

As much as I sympathize with the principled stance Maloney is taking, he's not doing his team any favours right now or in the future. His best course of action would be to garner the highest return possible for his asset, and that return is only going to diminish with time.

Old
Lottery Oilers*
Nuge is Cobra

DM comes across as the real loser here imo.

Turris doesn't want to play for your organization, plain and simple.

Yes, it shows questionable character on Turris part but to refusing to trade him makes DM look like that pathetic X that just wont let go.

Really bad PR for Phoenix imo. Even if DM wins the battle he is going to lose the war. I can only imagine what other players around the league think.

Old
oceanchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post

I donít get this Dogma why people feel players have obligations to teams. In this case, an 18 year old kid was told he would have to leave his family and move to phoenix to play a game he loves. Because in his draft year he was considered one of the best available prospects, he was almost assured to get drafted by a struggling team, who may or may not have poor management and coaching. I am sure as a kid who grew up in Vancouver, he didnít dream of playing and Phoenix and even if he did, why should he committed for so many years (without even so much as a say, because of a collective agreement he didnt take part in negotiating?). Many professionals enjoy the spoils of working in the corporate world where the companies they work for invest in improving the employee. This might come in the form of training programs, MBAís or whatever program said employee desires. That being said if that person leaves thatís life and the company must move on. I have often seen people say well that teams have spent so much time improving a player, or spent so much money in doing so. So what itís a cost of business and any and all business that want to maintain their star employee should provide the appropriate atmosphere to do so. No one ever says oh the poor team when a player busts. its a risk of business and Pheniox seems to have had more than a few example of this type of request latley, which might speak to how its run as a business.

I have never understood why people feel that professional athletes owe the team that drafted them so much. What if that team doesnít do a good job of developing players? What if the relationship sours? Does this player have any recourse to do what is in their best interest? In this case here is a player that just wants to play somewhere else (or so we presume) yet due to his age (or years of service) he is not allowed. If you or I wanted to move to a different city to be with our love ones or for a new job, then we could do so any time we want. Why shouldnít athletes be the same? (because they happen to be exceptional at what they do?) I know many of you are about to go off on a tangent about how much they make, so what; itís a product of supply and demand, and is the benefit of being exceptional in a as sport that happens to be main stream.

Look if this guy wanted off my team I would be annoyed to, but this whole argument that he somehow owes them something is crap. Maybe heís young and is making a poor choice. Well who in this forum doesnít regret a few choices they made at 21. Letís be real. I think the GM coming out and saying this for any other reason than to improve the return on a trade is crap and abusive. To hinder this persons development because youíre trying to make a point or are upset is childish and does nothing to improve your team. Its funny to me that if they decided to dump him in the ECHL to make a point many here would come say smugly he deserves it. For what wanting to choose where he lives, while playing a game that he loves, and having the right to earn an income.

What a bad person.

Old
10-27-2011, 12:14 PM
REM17

funny Maloney comes out with that statement today while New Jersey is in town...

Anyone know if Lou is on the trip as well and are they are benching NaPalm for that game?

looks like a trade is in the works....

Old
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brtriad View Post
Turris has Jack Skille written all over him: Young, highly touted, and highly entitled player wants his ice time gift wrapped for him based on his draft position rather than what he's earned.

Can't wait to see this kid fail in whatever market he's traded to.
Must be a Wisconsin Badger thing

Old
rt
Usually Incorrect

I. Love. Don. Maloney.

My hat is off to him.

Old
10-27-2011, 12:15 PM
mitch27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finkle is Einhorn View Post
I agree with all of this in theory, but I'm fairly certain the history doesn't back it up. Lindros refusing to play for the Nordiques didn't prompt future draft picks to refuse to play for the team, Bure wanting out of a bad situation in Vancouver didn't give anyone else any bright ideas, and no one tried to follow Heatley's lead out of a poor team in Ottawa.

As much as I sympathize with the principled stance Maloney is taking, he's not doing his team any favours right now or in the future. His best course of action would be to garner the highest return possible for his asset, and that return is only going to diminish with time.
The difference is Turris is the 5th person to do this in the past few years.

Old
10-27-2011, 12:15 PM
oceanchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
Turris probably would have gotten his wish and been traded if:

Peter Mueller didn't ask for a trade
Wojtek Wolski didn't ask for a trade
Viktor Tikhonov didn't leave for the KHL
Brett MacLean didn't ask to be placed on waivers

Maloney clearly didn't want to give in to the demands of so many young players and Turris ended up being the straw that broke the camel's back.
maybe he could consider doing a better job of running his business.

Old
10-27-2011, 12:16 PM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex Lupul View Post
He's not under contract.

There are 29 cities in North America he should be able to play, who'd all take him.

Why are there established rules? If you worked in an industry where your union negotiated away your right to work for whichever company you wanted, and a larger governing body prevented you from working outside the union, you'd be fairly angry too.

Kyle Turris was 16 when that agreement was signed. Is it his fault that the veteran players have been selling out the younger ones for years? Again, this is different from other collective bargaining because it's physically impossible to work outside the union.

EDIT: Pardon me, CBA was signed in July, Turris was born in August. He was 15 when the deal was agreed to.
Why does it matter at all when the CBA was signed. Turris signed his ELC while he still had a brain, so the year the CBA was agreed to has no significance.

Either way, why not stay on topic or take this to a CBA thread. We all know the rules. You obviously don't like them, but that's not what this thread is about.

Old
Sureves

Count me in the camp of "Turris is a whiny *****". I mean this is how the NHL works...for everyone...what makes you special? Just do your time and then you can leave. Plain and simple. What a joke of a kid, keep him away from my team.

Old
doaner

Quote:
Yes, people should be allowed to decide where they work. Why is this wrong? Because he's young, rich, and successful?
Nope. Wrong. He is a rfa, not a ufa. Big difference. Where is his success, btw?

Old
10-27-2011, 12:17 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanchild View Post
I donít get this Dogma why people feel players have obligations to teams. In this case, an 18 year old kid was told he would have to leave his family and move to phoenix to play a game he loves. Because in his draft year he was considered one of the best available prospects, he was almost assured to get drafted by a struggling team, who may or may not have poor management and coaching. I am sure as a kid who grew up in Vancouver, he didnít dream of playing and Phoenix and even if he did, why should he committed for so many years (without even so much as a say, because of a collective agreement he didnt take part in negotiating?). Many professionals enjoy the spoils of working in the corporate world where the companies they work for invest in improving the employee. This might come in the form of training programs, MBAís or whatever program said employee desires. That being said if that person leaves thatís life and the company must move on. I have often seen people say well that teams have spent so much time improving a player, or spent so much money in doing so. So what itís a cost of business and any and all business that want to maintain their star employee should provide the appropriate atmosphere to do so. No one ever says oh the poor team when a player busts. its a risk of business and Pheniox seems to have had more than a few example of this type of request latley, which might speak to how its run as a business.

I have never understood why people feel that professional athletes owe the team that drafted them so much. What if that team doesnít do a good job of developing players? What if the relationship sours? Does this player have any recourse to do what is in their best interest? In this case here is a player that just wants to play somewhere else (or so we presume) yet due to his age (or years of service) he is not allowed. If you or I wanted to move to a different city to be with our love ones or for a new job, then we could do so any time we want. Why shouldnít athletes be the same? (because they happen to be exceptional at what they do?) I know many of you are about to go off on a tangent about how much they make, so what; itís a product of supply and demand, and is the benefit of being exceptional in a as sport that happens to be main stream.

Look if this guy wanted off my team I would be annoyed to, but this whole argument that he somehow owes them something is crap. Maybe heís young and is making a poor choice. Well who in this forum doesnít regret a few choices they made at 21. Letís be real. I think the GM coming out and saying this for any other reason than to improve the return on a trade is crap and abusive. To hinder this persons development because youíre trying to make a point or are upset is childish and does nothing to improve your team. Its funny to me that if they decided to dump him in the ECHL to make a point many here would come say smugly he deserves it. For what wanting to choose where he lives, while playing a game that he loves, and having the right to earn an income.

What a bad person.
Didn't read everything, but to me, it's really not that he owes anything to Phoenix. He owes it to the system he AGREED to play under, to follow the rules that were set forth. I don't like it when anybody renegs on a valid contract (I know he's not under contract). I didn't like it when Wheeler did it; I didn't like it when Heatley did it to Ottawa, and so on.

Old
10-27-2011, 12:17 PM
bigbadbruins1

who will phx hate more... Blake Wheeler or Kyle Turris?

Old
10-27-2011, 12:18 PM
oceanchild

Quote:
Then he should've gotten his college degree, went to work for Cargill or 3m or some ****, made his $50,000 per year and nobody would give a **** about his plights.
why, hes an exceptional hockey player and as you can see due to the supply/demand curve is able to get paid significant dollars. He did the smart thing by pursuing the best available option to him. Nobel prize winning scientists are not forced to work for an employee just because. Say what you want about the kid, hes exceptional at what he does and your anger makes no sense. He does not owe the yotes anything, Just because they drafted him.

Old
10-27-2011, 12:18 PM
Finkle is Einhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch27 View Post
The difference is Turris is the 5th person to do this in the past few years.
I admit I'm not overly familiar with the situation in Phoenix beyond the obvious, but then surely the problem extends beyond the relationship between Turris and the organization. To pin this all on Turris being a petulant child doesn't hold much water here, IMO.

Old
10-27-2011, 12:19 PM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fehr Time View Post
Why not? It's their career. Teams should be happy to just have the opportunity to have such great athletes play for their club.
because the players signed a CBA knowing teams own their rights for 7 years

Old
10-27-2011, 12:19 PM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
lol, cool, so there you have it. First person admits that they only care because he's making lots of money.
What?

Old
10-27-2011, 12:20 PM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanchild View Post
why, hes an exceptional hockey player and as you can see due to the supply/demand curve is able to get paid significant dollars. He did the smart thing by pursuing the best available option to him. Nobel prize winning scientists are not forced to work for an employee just because. Say what you want about the kid, hes exceptional at what he does and your anger makes no sense. He does not owe the yotes anything, Just because they drafted him.
The Coyotes don't owe him anything either. He's welcome to not play. It's really not a big deal.

Old
10-27-2011, 12:20 PM
BloatedGuppy

Quote:
Didn't read everything, but to me, it's really not that he owes anything to Phoenix. He owes it to the system he AGREED to play under, to follow the rules that were set forth. I don't like it when anybody renegs on a valid contract (I know he's not under contract). I didn't like it when Wheeler did it; I didn't like it when Heatley did it to Ottawa, and so on.
It's not against the rules to ask for a trade. And he's not reneging on a contract, he's presently unsigned.

He can't force Phoenix to trade him, but he's not obligated to resign with them either. He's made it apparently that he doesn't wish to resign with them, and has asked for a trade. That's actually perfectly acceptable, under the CBA.

The fact he's the 5th or 6th person to ask out of Phoenix lately SHOULD be tipping some people off that the problem here might be PHOENIX, and not Kyle Turris.

Closed Thread