HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

This is a bad hockey team

Closed Thread

Old
11-13-2011, 06:59 PM
NYRangers16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
We have more than enough guns? Where? Who?? We have one legit 30 goal scorer on the team. That isn't going to get it done in a long drawn out playoff series. We are at minimum one more legit goal scorer(25-30 goals) and a big clear the front type of defenseman
Agree with the need for another 30 goal scorer and a big dman, however saying we have 1 30 goal scorer is also not giving us enough credit.

We have a 40 goal scorer: Gabby

We have 2 30 goal scorers: Dubi and Cally (I know they haven't reached it, but they were on pace for it and have been trending upward.

We also have 2 other 25 goal scorers: Richards, and Stepan. And yes I know I'm putting the horse ahead of the cart with Stepan but I think he's there.

Anyway, I'm not saying we are the Caps or Pens offensively, but we aren't that far off. We do have some significant offensive pieces. Don't take Dubi/Cally's grinding styles as a lack of offense, and also don't forget Richards adds a bunch and that Stepan is growing fast. We have 5 parts of a top 6 there.

Old
11-13-2011, 07:20 PM
JeffMangum
mfw Flyers D

vCash: 300
I don't think this team necessarily "needs" another 30 goal scorer, although it would be nice.

When all is said and done, there about 7 players on this team with the ability to score 20 goals: Richards, Gaborik, Stepan, Anisimov, Dubinsky, Wolski, and Callahan. Boyle, Prust, Christensen, and Fedotenko can get to 10. Maybe Avery and Rupp, too, but that's a big time longshot. We have Kreider, Thomas, Miller, etc in the pipeline with the potential to put up ~20ish goals or more.

This team could use another legitimate top-6er (I don't think Wolski is a legitimate top-6 player. Far took inconsistent). He could be a 20 goal scorer, he could be a 30 goal scorer. As long as he creates offense, I'll be fine with whoever this player is.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
Old
11-13-2011, 07:48 PM
That Stepan Guy
Jefferek Stepaninner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
I don't think this team necessarily "needs" another 30 goal scorer, although it would be nice.

When all is said and done, there about 7 players on this team with the ability to score 20 goals: Richards, Gaborik, Stepan, Anisimov, Dubinsky, Wolski, and Callahan. Boyle, Prust, Christensen, and Fedotenko can get to 10. Maybe Avery and Rupp, too, but that's a big time longshot. We have Kreider, Thomas, Miller, etc in the pipeline with the potential to put up ~20ish goals or more.

This team could use another legitimate top-6er (I don't think Wolski is a legitimate top-6 player. Far took inconsistent). He could be a 20 goal scorer, he could be a 30 goal scorer. As long as he creates offense, I'll be fine with whoever this player is.
Chris Kunitz

Not that I think Kunitz solves are problems or that Pittsburgh would give up a top 6 player to a divisional rival, but I have an awkward mancrush on Chris Kunitz.

He would be a nice addition over Wolski.

Old
11-13-2011, 07:50 PM
JeffMangum
mfw Flyers D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefferek Stepaninner View Post
Chris Kunitz

Not that I think Kunitz solves are problems or that Pittsburgh would give up a top 6 player to a divisional rival, but I have an awkward mancrush on Chris Kunitz.

He would be a nice addition over Wolski.
I'm a fan his myself, but he signed an extension a few weeks ago. We won't be trading with a team we'll be fighting with for the division title.

Old
11-13-2011, 07:56 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
As long as he creates offense, I'll be fine with whoever this player is.
I'll do it.

11-13-2011, 08:00 PM
That Stepan Guy
Jefferek Stepaninner

Quote:
I'm a fan his myself, but he signed an extension a few weeks ago. We won't be trading with a team we'll be fighting with for the division title.
Of course, but I'll still spam the Penguins in NHL 12 with offers for him.

I have no idea who I want. If Parise hits FA, I'd obviously want him. I'd even consider Semin. Lazy or not, he's still a good producer. I want no part of Hemsky. Umberger just sucks. Is there really anyone out there besides Semin and possibly Parise?

Old
11-13-2011, 08:02 PM
JeffMangum
mfw Flyers D

Umberger signed an extension...I also don't see how he "sucks". he's a 45-55 point player that's very, very similar to Dubinsky. Tortorella would manrush on his like crazy, maybe even more so than Callahan.

Tuomo Ruutu is a free agent...

Old
11-13-2011, 08:03 PM
NYR Viper

This team needs chemistry and quality depth scoring from their 3rd line. IMO that means adding some sort of skill to that bottom-6. They also need a decent veteran defenseman to anchor that 3rd pairing and take some PK time.

Old
11-13-2011, 08:06 PM
That Stepan Guy
Jefferek Stepaninner

Quote:
Umberger signed an extension...I also don't see how he "sucks". he's a 45-55 point player that's very, very similar to Dubinsky. Tortorella would manrush on his like crazy, maybe even more so than Callahan.

Tuomo Ruutu is a free agent...
Me no likey Dubinsky. Just thought I'd get that across. He's just too puck stupid for me. just not a fan of Umberger or Dubinsky. Kunitz >> both. Also forgot that Umberger resigned, I've been a bit lost in the hockey world for a few weeks, blame school.

Ruutu is pretty nice. He might be good and would come relatively cheap, not to mention he'd help out our powerplay.

This is a pretty weak year at LW for FA.

Old
11-13-2011, 08:10 PM
That Stepan Guy
Jefferek Stepaninner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
This team needs chemistry and quality depth scoring from their 3rd line. IMO that means adding some sort of skill to that bottom-6. They also need a decent veteran defenseman to anchor that 3rd pairing and take some PK time.
That honestly starts with clearing house down there. Fedotenko, Wolski and Avery should all be out. I'd consider bringing Zuccarello back, but not at $1.7M. I honestly think our 3rd line should have some rookie infusion. Give guys like Kreider, Hagelin, Thomas, Fasth, Lindberg and Bourque chances to make the team. If we do sign a top line LW, where does that move our centers though? The BAR line has lost whatever chemistry it had so who goes where?

Honestly I like:

LW-Richards-Gaborik
Kreider-Stepan-Callahan
Dubinsky-Bourque/Lindberg-Fasth/Thomas
Rupp-Boyle-Prust

Old
11-13-2011, 08:19 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers16 View Post
Agree with the need for another 30 goal scorer and a big dman, however saying we have 1 30 goal scorer is also not giving us enough credit.

We have 2 30 goal scorers: Dubi and Cally (I know they haven't reached it, but they were on pace for it and have been trending upward.

We also have 2 other 25 goal scorers: Richards, and Stepan. And yes I know I'm putting the horse ahead of the cart with Stepan but I think he's there.

Anyway, I'm not saying we are the Caps or Pens offensively, but we aren't that far off. We do have some significant offensive pieces. Don't take Dubi/Cally's grinding styles as a lack of offense, and also don't forget Richards adds a bunch and that Stepan is growing fast. We have 5 parts of a top 6 there.

I agree with you that we have some significant pieces in place but calling Cally and Duby 30 goal scorers is borderline ridiculous and D-Step a 25 goal scorer is way premature. I'll amend my statement; we have one consistent 30+ goal scorer and perhaps 4-5 guys who could realistically put up 20+ goals(Richards,Cally,Duby,D-Step, and ??). That isn't nearly enough to compete with the likes of some of the teams I mentioned. I always appreciate enthusiasm about our boys but in all candor, we are not close to being able to handle teams like the Pens(who we have never beaten even once in a playoff series in our history), the Caps, Bruins, Flyers or even the Bolts. All of those teams are loaded offensively and are much bigger and stronger to deal with physically especially the Bruins! If the Bruins can manhandle the Canucks in the last 4 playoff games last year what do you suppose they would do to us in a playoff series? Temper you enthusiasm and lower your expectations for now. Here's to better days ahead! LGR!!!

Old
11-13-2011, 08:34 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Goal scoring in 2010-11:

Lucic 30
Horton 26
Bergeron 22
Marchand 21

Just sayin...

Old
11-13-2011, 08:36 PM
NYRangers16

Drewbackatu - I appreciate your lack of enthusiasm, and by no means am I jus saying this because we are winning.

Dubi put up 24-30-54, and Cally put up 23-25-48 in just 60 games. Also Gabby has scored 40 several times ...saying he's a 30 goal scorer is just not giving him proper credit.

Lastly, we can quibble over who is who, but we pushed the Caps 2 years ago, and the bolts have nobody scary beyond their top 2(and have no goaltending to speak of). The pens are in that elite class with Vancouver and Boston and I'm not saying we are that good, but maybe just under it. I honestly think we are better than Tampa and closer to the Caps then you think.

I guess we'll see...

But try not to be so negative...enjoy the good, appreciate the bad fo what it is(an opportunity to improve).

Old
11-13-2011, 08:37 PM
That Stepan Guy
Jefferek Stepaninner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Goal scoring in 2010-11:

Lucic 30
Horton 26
Bergeron 22
Marchand 21

Just sayin...
But they had Timmy "Cheeseburger" Thomas along with Zdeno "Brick Wall" Thomas and Dennis Seidenberg. Lest we forget how much Boychuk and McQuaid hit. They had a tough to beat defense and a flopping fish in net, their offense didn't matter all that much.

Old
11-13-2011, 08:38 PM
NYRangers16

Quote:
Goal scoring in 2010-11:

Lucic 30
Horton 26
Bergeron 22
Marchand 21

Just sayin...
That's kinda amazing...I didn't realise that at all...and it should give us all hope because our offense is way better than that and our D and goaltending should be close.

Old
11-13-2011, 08:38 PM
Richter915

Quote:

Thank you. Exactly what I was about to write up.

Old
11-13-2011, 08:44 PM
That Stepan Guy
Jefferek Stepaninner

Quote:
That's kinda amazing...I didn't realise that at all...and it should give us all hope because our offense is way better than that and our D and goaltending should be close.
They had teamwork though, we pretty much have a one line offensive group. Until the 2/3/4 lines produce consistently, we'll still be in a tough spot.

Old
Richter915

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
That's what I'm saying. With the top-six meshing how it is, we're actually giving opponent's a run for their money. What we lack are the 10-20 goal scorers in the bottom six. When you give opponents a reason to cycle their six D-men consistently, you wear them out and that lets your top six flourish. This is exactly what the pens have, the wings have had for a decade, and what vancouver had last season. This is partially why Washington can't make it past the second round. The goals might not show but the threat is there. Boston won because they physically wore down the top six, Kesler was hurt, and their D was remarkable.

Old
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
But they had Timmy "Cheeseburger" Thomas along with Zdeno "Brick Wall" Thomas and Dennis Seidenberg. Lest we forget how much Boychuk and McQuaid hit. They had a tough to beat defense and a flopping fish in net, their offense didn't matter all that much.
I think our D and goaltending stacks up fine with Boston's from last year, as long as Staal returns. Where the Bruins have the edge is not on the first or second line of forwards, it's on the next wave of offensive forwards. When things weren't working or someone got hurt, the Bruins could throw Recchi, Peverly, Seguin and Ryder at you. The Rangers don't have that kind of depth.

Old
11-13-2011, 08:46 PM
Richter915

Quote:
They had teamwork though, we pretty much have a one line offensive group. Until the 2/3/4 lines produce consistently, we'll still be in a tough spot.
I think the best part of the carolina game was showing we can generate offense outside of the GAS line. But will this also be true with a team that has some skill is yet to be tested.

Old
11-13-2011, 08:48 PM
That Stepan Guy
Jefferek Stepaninner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richter915 View Post
I think the best part of the carolina game was showing we can generate offense outside of the GAS line. But will this also be true with a team that has some skill is yet to be tested.
One game.

The Anisimov-Stepan-Gaborik line was the only line to score for two straight games before that. There needs to be consistent primary and secondary scoring.

Old
11-13-2011, 08:49 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

People have very short memories. Before the 6 straight goals in two games from that one line, our offense was pretty spread out.

Old
11-13-2011, 08:49 PM
That Stepan Guy
Jefferek Stepaninner

Quote:
I think our D and goaltending stacks up fine with Boston's from last year, as long as Staal returns. Where the Bruins have the edge is not on the first or second line of forwards, it's on the next wave of offensive forwards. When things weren't working or someone got hurt, the Bruins could throw Recchi, Peverly, Seguin and Ryder at you. The Rangers don't have that kind of depth.
Agreed that Boston had a much better bottom six, but guys like Seidenberg and Chara play a huge role for Boston and we don't have guys like McQuaid and Boychuk that are willing to wreck people all the time. Their defense isn't the greatest, but it's far grittier than ours.

Old
11-13-2011, 08:58 PM
That Stepan Guy
Jefferek Stepaninner

Quote:
People have very short memories. Before the 6 straight goals in two games from that one line, our offense was pretty spread out.
Based on goals scored, our primary scorers(Gaborik, Richards, Callahan) account for 21 total goals, almost half of the 43 that the team has. There hasn't been much secondary scoring.

Old
11-13-2011, 09:00 PM
Richter915

Quote:
One game.

The Anisimov-Stepan-Gaborik line was the only line to score for two straight games before that. There needs to be consistent primary and secondary scoring.
haha trust me I know, I'm waiting. I've been a rangers fan for almost 20 years now, cautious optimism is how i approach anything on the ice. I think that Tuesday's game against the Isles can hopefully showcase the strength of both these lines but it won't be until the caps (maybe the panthers) game where we really need to show our offensive spread.

Closed Thread