HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

This is a bad hockey team

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-27-2011, 10:32 PM
  #51
Radek27
Registered User
 
Radek27's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,145
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Change the title of the thread to the team is playing bad Hockey. I don't think they are that bad of a team. Add in a player like Staal and it's that much more improved.

Give it some time guys we are less than 10 games in. You won't make it to the AS game at this rate.

Radek27 is offline  
Old
10-27-2011, 10:34 PM
  #52
satrabyk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodySaveKreider View Post
I think Richards has been good this year so far. He had a bad game, but it happens. He's only one guys though, theres plenty of blame to go around.

A few things I've noticed so far though.

1. This D NEEDS Staal back. He's such a difference maker defensively, and even in making that first pass out of the zone.
2. Callahan, Dubinsky and Animisov NEED to play better. The idea is that they would be the second line that takes pressure off the first of Richards and Gaborik. They have been less then ineffective.
3. Get Christensen and Wolski as far away from this team as possible. I haven't been a fan of Christensen's since the day we picked up him up off waivers. Wolski is just cause. Dude has all the tools, but no toolbox.
4. Torts has to stop panicking with the line combos. I know he's trying to get the most out of his players, but you just can't build chemistry this way. I've defended Torts up to this point, but he's way too eager to make a lot of changes.

Its extremely early, so I'm not in panic mode yet, and still believe they'll turn it around and be just fine, but tonight was definitely disappointing.

I agree with all your points, but im sorry until Richards shows me something much different than what ive seen im not going to be optimistic. Can you blame and others who have seen Center come in here paid top dollar and look absolutely terrible. I honestly didnt kno much about Richards before, other than some highlights, but man i just dont see that bite, or compete level. And yes i know it early but at the same time ive given it 10 games as an somewhat honest assesment. I want him to succedd as much as anyone but its scary how poorly hes playing, esp on the offensive side.

satrabyk is offline  
Old
10-27-2011, 10:35 PM
  #53
we want cup
We do not Sow
 
we want cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 10,640
vCash: 500
Fire.... someone?

__________________

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline  
Old
10-27-2011, 10:36 PM
  #54
Muh
Beadle
 
Muh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sloatsburg, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 7,230
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobyte View Post
I swear...

Okay, that game is over. I don't jump off bridges, at least not over a hockey team.

If you think things are okay....OK then.
But why do you think things wont be ok? We were a playoff team last year, with the same team minus Richards. We are without Staal, and only 8 games into the season. I understand we dont run the flashiest of systems, but atleast give it some time before we all say we are a bad hockey team or whatever else is being said. We aren't playing our best so far, so be it. We have had 1 home game, things will change.

Muh is offline  
Old
10-27-2011, 10:37 PM
  #55
satrabyk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Brad Richards is not a 1C, and they need Avery.

Hard-hitting analysis.
Call it what you want, but Avery bring energy that for some reason gets other players playing better, correct if im wrong but weve seen it before. Richards at this point is not making anyone around him better if not worse. It not a Richards vs Avery, its a bring in Avery maybe he will lite a fire under Richards ass and maybe the two will have more chemistry that what we see with Gaborik(who has looked awesome so far), idk but if u think the product on the ice is fine and doesent need a shake up, than we arent watching the same game.

satrabyk is offline  
Old
10-27-2011, 10:38 PM
  #56
satrabyk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSkate View Post
It feels to me like aside from the first couple of shifts/first period of games, Gaborik and Richards are being put on different lines for the majority of games. They did well together at the start of the season, why handle them this way?
Because Richards was not playing well and hasent. Trust me Torts brought him in, the lines would have been shifted even sooner if it was someone else.

satrabyk is offline  
Old
10-27-2011, 10:38 PM
  #57
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!
 
Florida Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tampa, FLA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobyte View Post
I swear...

Okay, that game is over. I don't jump off bridges, at least not over a hockey team.

If you think things are okay....OK then.
Every single team hits a slump.

Our season starts with a slump.

It's going to happen.

We started out hot a few times over the past seasons. What happened? There was still 70+ games to be played. Early playoff exits.


Last edited by Florida Ranger: 10-27-2011 at 11:08 PM.
Florida Ranger is offline  
Old
10-27-2011, 10:40 PM
  #58
satrabyk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
lol, this is the same team as last yr that fought hard and eeked out wins.............they have sucked balz but they will also likely resemble the same team as last yr

its been a very crappy start and I mean crrrrrrrrap but it is the same team.
The only difference this year is #1 second best player Stall is out for who knows how long, and 2 they now have what they feel is top line center and guys like Dubi, Anis, step back a bit thinking hes the main point guy, if that doesent work than there is trouble. I want to see Richards show some emotion and fight because right now hes going through the motions.

satrabyk is offline  
Old
10-27-2011, 10:43 PM
  #59
satrabyk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
Post of the year right here.

Let's get rid of one of the few skilled forwards we actually have on the team, and replace him with a player that doesn't understand the concept of waiting for the puck to enter the zone before he can go into the zone. Let's lessen whatever offensive zone time we have even more because of a certain superstar player that's in the AHL.
This is extremely pathetic. Im not saying get rid of the guy im saying there needs to be a shake up, whether that is changing lines, a trade, or bringing up Avery.

Second if u watch the games u can see Richards does not generate a lot offensive zone time at all, Avery in fact protects the puck much more effectively from what ive seen so far. Maybe Richards is not suited with Gaborik, and changing lines would improve his game, but dont talk to me about offensive zone time.

satrabyk is offline  
Old
10-27-2011, 10:45 PM
  #60
Tawnos
Moderator
BoH Mod Only
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,296
vCash: 500
I know we all focus on the shots, but the shots are an effect and a result. They aren't a cause.

When this team is playing mediocre-to-bad hockey, it's when they aren't being decisive. The first period, the Rangers were decisive all over the ice. Coming out of the zone, there were either crisp passes or hard clears off the boards. Going through the neutral zone, they were attacking the blue line with speed and either dumping the puck hard to making quick passes (except on the powerplay). In the offensive zone, they were either firing the puck at the net or moving the puck quickly.

In the second period, the passes and clears coming out of the defensive zone were soft. They were hesitating coming across the red line. They weren't shooting the puck and they were barely passing the puck on offense. They were indecisive.

Decisiveness is the key. I feel like they get caught up in overthinking the game. Still might be due to Staal being out, I don't know. They need to relax and just play.

This isn't a bad hockey team, because in the first period, they showed they look like when they're playing well. Unfortunately, they haven't figured out how to do that more consistently over the course of the game.

Tawnos is offline  
Old
10-27-2011, 10:52 PM
  #61
satrabyk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
Yea misread it but still, just the fact that BRB is willing to take a shot at Brad Richards only to then try to push Avery is pretty comical if you look at it.

We need to understand that Brad isn't going to come in here and be perfect right away, it takes time. But to suddenly declare he's not a number one center, only to then claim that Avery, a 20 pt player, is what we need is somewhat beyond words.
Its funny these were the same words guys like you told me when we got Gomez and Drury and i made this same kind of post 10 games in, actually exactly the same. Of course all the experts laughed and laughed, called me crazy, i wonder how that turned out. Please dont try undermine my points and tell me about the time it takes i i understand that totally. The fact is in the NHL imo it doesent take the time you think it does however, i know Torts might switch lines to quick but its not for no reason. Let me ask you how long it took to see the talent Jagr was when he came here, because i got that feeling of wow pretty quickly. ITs not the goals or assists it the plays they make that you say, he can play, i havent seen that with Richards, and im saying we need some shake up before things go sour, esp with Gabby who looks hungry this season, you want to maximize that the best way possible. YOu dont think Lundy plays has anything to do with the absolute garbage in front of him. YOu dont want to lose a goalie like that and we will if this is the style were going to try and play every game.

satrabyk is offline  
Old
10-27-2011, 10:53 PM
  #62
satrabyk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
I know we all focus on the shots, but the shots are an effect and a result. They aren't a cause.

When this team is playing mediocre-to-bad hockey, it's when they aren't being decisive. The first period, the Rangers were decisive all over the ice. Coming out of the zone, there were either crisp passes or hard clears off the boards. Going through the neutral zone, they were attacking the blue line with speed and either dumping the puck hard to making quick passes (except on the powerplay). In the offensive zone, they were either firing the puck at the net or moving the puck quickly.

In the second period, the passes and clears coming out of the defensive zone were soft. They were hesitating coming across the red line. They weren't shooting the puck and they were barely passing the puck on offense. They were indecisive.

Decisiveness is the key. I feel like they get caught up in overthinking the game. Still might be due to Staal being out, I don't know. They need to relax and just play.

This isn't a bad hockey team, because in the first period, they showed they look like when they're playing well. Unfortunately, they haven't figured out how to do that more consistently over the course of the game.
Yes but dont u think that play is also a source of energy as its your first game at the garder, that is usually normal, the fact that we werent able to take it to another gear through other points of the game is the problem.

satrabyk is offline  
Old
10-27-2011, 10:56 PM
  #63
satrabyk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
They're not bad, no. They are pretty much what their record indicates: average. When a couple of players start optimizing their chances, they'll be better than average.

Again.

I'll say what I've said before. The Richards signing and the team's curent level of talent puts it back where it was with Jagr, Nylander, Straka, and Shanahan: 2nd round losers.
Really, if they make the second round i will be very suprised with the way things are. Some of us have got used to playoffs i can see. That is really undermining the talent level of those team with Jagr, Nylander, Strake who were very close to a conferance final. That is not an avergae team.

satrabyk is offline  
Old
10-27-2011, 10:59 PM
  #64
satrabyk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingshotVv View Post
Talent issues:

we lack players that can skate with the puck into the offensive zone with any speed.

Strategy issues:

we can win board battles, but don't generate any offense from the boards.

Dubi and Gaborik are the only players on the team that even bother trying to skate the puck into the offensive zone.

Dump and chase for this team is just a guaranteed change of possession.

When they do get into the zone, they loop back or stop above the half-boards, and either chip the puck down-low, throw it across ice, or drop it back to a defender that then chips it down low. All 3 of which seem to always wind up being a turnover.

There's no cohesive offensive strategy. Players are almost always to far outside to support one another in any dangerous portions of the ice.

I can't imagine Tortorella will make it the length of the season as head coach.
Id like to think Torts wants offensive cohesiveness and pressure, and not the dribble that is going on right now. I mean honestly the strategy of throwing it across the crease and hoping for the best only lasts so long. Its just not the way the games played and skilled team will kill you soone or later. I dont remember hes Tampa years but if anyone could enlighten me into ther style that would be good.

satrabyk is offline  
Old
10-27-2011, 11:01 PM
  #65
satrabyk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Line Grinder View Post
What the hell makes you think this team is good? Only 8 games, **** that. The team is mediocre! Welcome to the New York Rangers where mediocrity has gone on for 86 years...and counting! The team lacks talent, it has one 30 goal player, and nothing else. Wolski and Christensen will be out of the league after this year don't worry guys. Fire Torts but no one has a replacement. Do you really think a new coach is going to do anything with the talent or lack thereof on this team? The pp sucks, I said it all summer that Richards would not fix it. Bottom line: 8th place here we come again! This is not an overreaction, this is not pessimism this is the cold hard truth. The only overreactions around here are the people who think we're contenders
8th place is being very optimistic honestly, Poor Lundy is going to have to pull some **** out of his ass for a playoff birth. Hes already won us like 5 points purely by himself. The issue with this team is that we expected includng me that guys like Dubi, Cally, Anisimov, Stepan to continue to improve instead of maybe realizing that their we might have seen what they have to offer already. Im not saying they have not improvments but maybe were expecting too much from these guys who may have played to their max last season.

satrabyk is offline  
Old
10-27-2011, 11:07 PM
  #66
Maaxse
Registered User
 
Maaxse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Montreal
Country: France
Posts: 624
vCash: 500
So wait we aren't divisional leaders yet ?

oh the horror, oh the surprise.

Maaxse is offline  
Old
10-27-2011, 11:09 PM
  #67
satrabyk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numinous View Post
So what to do?

Its not like we can just trade for an Elite player or two...

We have to get this bunch to play better hockey.

Maybe Torts is not the guy... but if not him.... who?
Its not really the coach, the coach is a just a product of the GM Sather, of course we all kno the real problem. He talent assesment is not good at all, and his signings are just that terrible. Brining in Torts was a product of depseration not because Renney was a bad coach but because of the **** product given to him by Sather, who than had to find someone to push these guys to the limit. However if you dont have the talent it does not matter which coach u have its the same result. Torts may not the best guy for sure, but at this point that is not the problem imo, although the Avery dismissal was not a good move. If i did pick another coach it would be that old Ottawa guy i forgot his name, i really like him but that not the point really.

satrabyk is offline  
Old
10-27-2011, 11:10 PM
  #68
NYRangers16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Westchester
Posts: 1,047
vCash: 500
Did you guys forget we are at .500? Considering the 16,000 travel miles, no staal, and the lack of cohesion early, that's really really good.

I heard during the broadcast the team got back to NY at 5:30am. Also, when you are trevelling that much, how much practice time can you get? This really shows up in the chemistry, lack of offensive flow, etc.

So 1)There are very real and reasonable reasons why we are struggling and
2)Even with this team playing sucky hockey we are still at .500

Can't say we should be surprised, nor should we be surprised when they turn things up and go on a very nice streak. Be patient, it is coming, but you gotta give them a few weeks to practice, buil chemistry, restup, develop a routine, etc. This will happen and everything will be fine.

NYRangers16 is offline  
Old
10-27-2011, 11:11 PM
  #69
trilobyte
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Alberta
Posts: 12,543
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muh View Post
But why do you think things wont be ok? We were a playoff team last year, with the same team minus Richards. We are without Staal, and only 8 games into the season. I understand we dont run the flashiest of systems, but atleast give it some time before we all say we are a bad hockey team or whatever else is being said. We aren't playing our best so far, so be it. We have had 1 home game, things will change.
Muh, I want to be an optimist. I am almost always believing the Rangers are going to win.

There is no threat, for lack of a better word, from the offense. It has been uniform through the start of the season. It does not have anything to do with outlet passes, the transition game. When forwards have the puck they do not know what to do. Many times, they are free and clear, so no reason to discuss Staal, Sauer, etc.
It is not something that I can group in with a short slump. So far, we don't see any really good stuff except for the Canucks game where Vancouver's defense folded and let them take shots at Leaky Lou, who was less than up to the task.

I don't care how people label me. The play to date has been simply awful.

trilobyte is offline  
Old
10-27-2011, 11:11 PM
  #70
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,902
vCash: 50
If you think that

A. This is a bad hockey team

B. Richards is not a 1A level center

and

C. That we need Avery, and fast?

There really isn't anything i'm going to be able to say that will convince you otherwise. Just reflect on what it is that you're advocating for.

This is one of those threads that will reappear after we've made the playoffs.

__________________
"I have something better than proof: I have anecdotal evidence."
Fitzy is offline  
Old
10-27-2011, 11:11 PM
  #71
satrabyk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
They did, but they still got the 2 points though.
Were have we gotten in which 2 points means everything. Just like Torts says lol its the process, that is the problem. You can always win games like in Winn that you dont deserve but what is it matter if ur play is still bad and will show up in the standing sooner or later.


Last edited by satrabyk: 10-27-2011 at 11:22 PM.
satrabyk is offline  
Old
10-27-2011, 11:12 PM
  #72
1Knee1T
OHH MAMMA DONT U CRY
 
1Knee1T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 3,184
vCash: 500
It's never as bad as it seems and it's never as good as it seems. This is a bad stretch but it'll turn around.

1Knee1T is offline  
Old
10-27-2011, 11:21 PM
  #73
Tawnos
Moderator
BoH Mod Only
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
Yes but dont u think that play is also a source of energy as its your first game at the garder, that is usually normal, the fact that we werent able to take it to another gear through other points of the game is the problem.
Oh, there was certainly an adrenaline high involved tonight too. I don't expect this team, even playing at their best, to get 16 shots in every period. Around 10 shots is just fine. I don't think they need that massive surge of energy to get 10 shots per period.

Tawnos is offline  
Old
10-27-2011, 11:24 PM
  #74
satrabyk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLU Hockey View Post
If you think that

A. This is a bad hockey team

B. Richards is not a 1A level center

and

C. That we need Avery, and fast?

There really isn't anything i'm going to be able to say that will convince you otherwise. Just reflect on what it is that you're advocating for.

This is one of those threads that will reappear after we've made the playoffs.
Right and what about the ones i was arguing that Drury and Gomez were not the players we hoped for. Those are erased right. I dont comment based on 1 game, its the fact that ive spent 10 games watching the same ****, and i figured id say something about it, since its a board u kno. But ur an expert because u know Richards is a 1A center and that we dont need Avery, ya im from mars.

satrabyk is offline  
Old
10-27-2011, 11:28 PM
  #75
satrabyk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers16 View Post
Did you guys forget we are at .500? Considering the 16,000 travel miles, no staal, and the lack of cohesion early, that's really really good.

I heard during the broadcast the team got back to NY at 5:30am. Also, when you are trevelling that much, how much practice time can you get? This really shows up in the chemistry, lack of offensive flow, etc.

So 1)There are very real and reasonable reasons why we are struggling and
2)Even with this team playing sucky hockey we are still at .500

Can't say we should be surprised, nor should we be surprised when they turn things up and go on a very nice streak. Be patient, it is coming, but you gotta give them a few weeks to practice, buil chemistry, restup, develop a routine, etc. This will happen and everything will be fine.
Again its not the record its the play on the ice. I think we as fans are logical enough to see the play and not simply look at the standings.

satrabyk is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:21 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.