HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#9 Kings @ Stars 10/27/11 - POST GAME WIN THOUGHTS & TIDBITS ‎

Closed Thread

Old
10-28-2011, 12:27 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur View Post
it's hard not to get overly excited over a prospect we never seen, but we have to remember it's only 5 games. we can't extrapolate a career from this.

Citation: Jared Aulin
Well, that is kind of the point We aren't thinking in the macro sense, but at the same time, we aren't supposed to. It is all about the here and now. Offensively struggling team with a kid providing offense right now. Do your chances of getting 2 points in the next game improve or remain the same when you send him down? That's all that matters. Martinez is pointless, Voynov is producing with speed and aggression and keeping his +/- in check. It's all about points now because they will likely be a ridiculously valuable commodity in March, especially with quite a few of last year's bottom feeders coming out of the gates winning like mad and some very very good teams idling in the bottom 8... This is going to be a very tough race to the finish this season. We need every point possible.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Old
10-28-2011, 12:39 PM
Bandit

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Martinez is pointless,.
Martinez is also skating with Greene and not getting time with the #1 powerplay unit.

Old
10-28-2011, 12:44 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
Martinez is also skating with Greene and not getting time with the #1 powerplay unit.
He still gets powerplay time. I am not hating on Martinez, just saying that Voynov has outperformed him thus far, line bias or not.

Old
10-28-2011, 12:48 PM
Pucknut50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
You guys are hilarious. If it's not Brown, it's Greene, or Richards, I swear you guys have to ***** and moan for the sake of *****ing and moaning. Gone are the days when this team sucked and we actually had whipping boys, hi Modry 1st tour and Joe Corvo, get out of that mindset ladies and gentlemen, although I never see the ladies *****ing.

As far as the defense goes, KISS. Keep it simple stupid.

Doughty, Greene and Voynov are all righties. Mitchell, Johnson and Scuderi are lefties. Mix and match as necessary. Sit Drewiske since he is the super superb wonderfully awesome press box seat warmer and trade Martinez for offensive depth. Muzzin and Hickey are easy callups and there is a plethora of veteran NHL/AHL depth defensemen out there that can be had for cheap.
Reaper45 Forget it - every now and then someone says the same thing and for the record I have done so a few times too. But I will never write anything again because it does no good. If you don't want to hear the moaning then either stop reading as soon as you realize the post or stop visiting forums altogether because the moaning will never stop especially when we lose a game. I love the person who gripes even when we win that's a person who looks at life with the glass half empty.

We all love the Kings and I keep coming here because all of my closest friends and family could care less about the Kings so its nice to see passion for the team.

Old
10-28-2011, 01:03 PM
Ollie Weeks

Quote:
He still gets powerplay time. I am not hating on Martinez, just saying that Voynov has outperformed him thus far, line bias or not.
Exactly. Martinez has been fine, but in his short time Voynov has been better.

I don't necessarily disagree with returning VV to Manchester this season, but Dean had better get his snake-oil salesman persona on and make sure he and VV are on the same page about WHY he is being returned.

Old
10-28-2011, 01:07 PM
Bandit

Quote:
Martinez gets *half* the powerplay time, and not with the first unit. You can't discount that.

Old
10-28-2011, 01:10 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

Quote:
Well, that is kind of the point We aren't thinking in the macro sense, but at the same time, we aren't supposed to. It is all about the here and now. Offensively struggling team with a kid providing offense right now. Do your chances of getting 2 points in the next game improve or remain the same when you send him down? That's all that matters. Martinez is pointless, Voynov is producing with speed and aggression and keeping his +/- in check. It's all about points now because they will likely be a ridiculously valuable commodity in March, especially with quite a few of last year's bottom feeders coming out of the gates winning like mad and some very very good teams idling in the bottom 8... This is going to be a very tough race to the finish this season. We need every point possible.
I guess what I'm saying is, it isn't the end of the world to send him down and keep him developing. Just because he's doing well now doesn't mean he is above AHL competition. I think they should send him down and use him as an injury replacement. Then pretty much expect him to take over Mitchell's spot next year.

Old
10-28-2011, 01:18 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
Martinez gets *half* the powerplay time, and not with the first unit. You can't discount that.
But you can't discount that there is a reason behind that. Voynov has outplayed Martinez and been put in a situation to succeed.

Old
10-28-2011, 01:35 PM
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
But you can't discount that there is a reason behind that. Voynov has outplayed Martinez and been put in a situation to succeed.
I really don't think that is the case, but there's nothing that I can say that will make you think otherwise. If one god game makes a season, then Martinez should be our number 1 defenseman based on the first game of the year.

Old
10-28-2011, 02:07 PM
alpa
Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter

My take from Kopi's games so far. I'm a little disapointed with Kopi's conditioning. I thought he would be much improved this year but he gets gazed early and can't really play like he usually would. Maybe the games where he plays alot on PP and PK wears him down quicker as this game. Because his TOI has been lower then last year. So I'm a little puzzled by this as he should be fresher but he isn't.

Old
10-28-2011, 02:34 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

It's Richards fault. If we still had Simmonds and Schenn, Kopi would never get tired.

Old
10-28-2011, 02:42 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAkings20 View Post
It's Richards fault. If we still had Simmonds and Schenn, Kopi would never get tired.
I agree, it sucks having 2 PPG centers. I would rather have a better #3RW and #4 center.

Old
10-28-2011, 03:26 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Fox tweeted that Gagne isn't at the Kings practice. Westgarth is skating with Kopitar and Williams.

Drew is still skating with Drewiske.

Old
10-28-2011, 03:47 PM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
A team like Columbus would snatch him up. Or Edmonton. Their D core's are not that good. Davis would be starting on those teams. There are plenty of teams that would take him off waivers.

He is a serviceable D man (with a little upside).
That's what you think. I think otherwise.

In retrospect: its not a given.

Old
10-28-2011, 03:58 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Fox tweeted that Gagne isn't at the Kings practice. Westgarth is skating with Kopitar and Williams.

Drew is still skating with Drewiske.
Hammond said it is probably a maintenance day.

Old
10-28-2011, 04:43 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
Hammond said it is probably a maintenance day.
Yes, I figured that. Westgarth was just a fill in, but it would have been funny to watch him with Kopitar and Williams during practice. Maybe he's the power forward the Kings are looking for.

They would have moved Parse or Penner up if Gagne was hurt and could miss any games.

Old
10-28-2011, 04:49 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Yes, I figured that. Westgarth was just a fill in, but it would have been funny to watch him with Kopitar and Williams during practice. Maybe he's the power forward the Kings are looking for.

They would have moved Parse or Penner up if Gagne was hurt and could miss any games.
I don't need flashbacks of Ivanans playing with Kopitar. Man the team sucked so bad just a few years ago. I can't believe I still watched every game anyway.

Old
10-28-2011, 04:50 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

JimFox19
Quote:
Just a maintanence day for Gagne--Doughty expected to be in vs. Phoenix

Old
10-28-2011, 04:53 PM
tantrum4*

Quote:
Everyone gets burned. especially by Benn. Need I bring up Doughty's history with Benn?

'nuff said.

Neither of those plays are the same type that Voynov got schooled on last night. I said ONE ON ONE not a bad bounce. Look it up.

Old
10-28-2011, 05:01 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrum4 View Post
Neither of those plays are the same type that Voynov got schooled on last night. I said ONE ON ONE not a bad bounce. Look it up.
Spin it however you want, everyone gets schooled. Bottom line is Voynov has outperformed Martinez thus far. He'll get sent down, but he doesn't deserve it, he belongs on our second pairing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpa View Post
My take from Kopi's games so far. I'm a little disapointed with Kopi's conditioning. I thought he would be much improved this year but he gets gazed early and can't really play like he usually would. Maybe the games where he plays alot on PP and PK wears him down quicker as this game. Because his TOI has been lower then last year. So I'm a little puzzled by this as he should be fresher but he isn't.
I don't see that, I think Kopitar has been stellar, none of the offense has looked particularly good over the last few games, but Kopitar always plays the entire rink and has the energy to go back and forth and help out the defense. He has that Penner illusion in being a big body, so he never looks particularly agile or quick, but that can be deceiving because unlike Penner, Kopitar actually skates hard and keeps up with his opponents. I don't see anything wrong with Kopitar.

Old
10-28-2011, 05:13 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Voynov is seizing the day. I don't see how you don't give him more games.

Old
10-28-2011, 05:25 PM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

Quote:
Spin it however you want, everyone gets schooled. Bottom line is Voynov has outperformed Martinez thus far. He'll get sent down, but he doesn't deserve it, he belongs on our second pairing.

I don't see that, I think Kopitar has been stellar, none of the offense has looked particularly good over the last few games, but Kopitar always plays the entire rink and has the energy to go back and forth and help out the defense. He has that Penner illusion in being a big body, so he never looks particularly agile or quick, but that can be deceiving because unlike Penner, Kopitar actually skates hard and keeps up with his opponents. I don't see anything wrong with Kopitar.
ESPECIALLY by Benn. He doesn't get mentioned enough as a premier one-on-one player. And you're fooling yourself if you don't think he creates his own luck through hard work.

Bottom line, Voynov will learn not to fall asleep on that play, and will be better in the long run for it. I don't think he has anything to learn in the AHL; he's only going to grow through NHL experience.

Old
10-28-2011, 05:32 PM
cyclones22

Quote:
Not to mention that the dude is coming back from a major injury. We should all be giddy that he's performing as well as he is when many thought there would be a returning from injury adjustment period. If the only negative is that sometimes he looks gassed (and I don't agree, btw), instead of lacking in mobility and explosion, I'll take it.

Old
10-28-2011, 07:01 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrum4 View Post
How about the missed hip check by Doughty that resulted in a goal? Doughty gets "schooled" too.

Every NHL defenseman gets beat 1-on-1. Remember Kopitar's first NHL goal? He beat Pronger.

Old
10-29-2011, 02:40 AM
alpa
Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter

Quote:

Don't get me wrong. I am not criticizing his workeffort but sometimes he looks eager to get off the ice especially in the last period. You clearly could see it in the game against Dallas where I thought he played alot of short shifts but as I said I could be wrong and it all could be the PK and PP tactics and the amount of time played on those that results in the way it looked.

Regarding me beeing wrong; maybe I didn't said that but I thought it and wasn't crystal with my writing.

He has looked much different in those games that hasn't been teared up by PP and PK.

Closed Thread