HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Early season review of Moulson

Old
10-29-2011, 02:36 PM
LAIslanderFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
Are you that certain Nino will be that good? maybe later, after some development, but you think he will be that good right now? He was pretty unspectacular in pre-season, and has been on ice since then. I think at a minimum he will need about 5 games on another line to get his legs loose and his head screwed into the faster game.

But I hope I am wrong because I am sick of losing hockey from a team being bled to death by an owner in stubborn stingy miser mode.
I don't expect Nino to be a 30 goal scorer this year, but I do think he will be an upgrade in our lineup to whoever ends up sitting. Look at it like taking a negative player out and a slightly positive player in. That's a pretty good swing if there's was such a thing as a player graph

LAIslanderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 08:15 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAIslanderFan View Post
I don't expect Nino to be a 30 goal scorer this year, but I do think he will be an upgrade in our lineup to whoever ends up sitting. Look at it like taking a negative player out and a slightly positive player in. That's a pretty good swing if there's was such a thing as a player graph
Then I think you might be in for a surprise.

We should expect Nino to need a lotttttt of time to adjust to this league and come to understand it. He's probably gonna miss defensive assignments and lose most battles along the boards. He'll have problems with the game's speed.

He's going to be a work in progress.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 11:09 AM
stevedepot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster Doofus View Post
Every player is soft on the Islanders according to Islander fans since as long as far back as the AOL message boards. Maybe 10% of these gripes are close to legitimate. This is not one of them.
Nope. You are incorrect here.
This is a legit assessment. So glad more Isles fans have noticed.
Surprised you haven't.

I posted about this on another board and I believe I also posted about it on your main board.
Matt Moulson has finished a grand total of 3 checks in 9 games thus far. After the first 6 games I knew something was different about his game because he was skating by opponents and stick checking at EVERY opportunity and not doing what he did last year. Finish checks.
I checked the stats and not to be surprised, he only had 2 hits in 6 games. When you're a winger and often times the first guy into the zone, you HAVE to finish your check to establish a forecheck.
By contrast P.A. Parenteau had 10 hits in the first 6 games.

3 hits in 9 games is unacceptable. He's better than that and showed it last year.

stevedepot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 11:49 AM
LAIslanderFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedepot View Post
Surprised you haven't.

I posted about this on another board and I believe I also posted about it on your main board.
Matt Moulson has finished a grand total of 3 checks in 9 games thus far. After the first 6 games I knew something was different about his game because he was skating by opponents and stick checking at EVERY opportunity and not doing what he did last year. Finish checks.
I checked the stats and not to be surprised, he only had 2 hits in 6 games. When you're a winger and often times the first guy into the zone, you HAVE to finish your check to establish a forecheck.

3 hits in 9 games is unacceptable. He's better than that and showed it last year.
Thank you. I didn't have the numbers in front of me. I came to this conclusion by observing him during the game. What made it obvious to me, was the lack of offensive zone time when the Tavares line was out. I saw JT and PAP battling and really pushing, but Moulson was non existant. It was like playing with one less guy in the offensive zone, so the defense had little trouble getting the puck out. If the Tavares line can get more offensive zone time, imagine what JT's numbers will be.

Old
10-30-2011, 11:55 AM
LAIslanderFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Then I think you might be in for a surprise.

We should expect Nino to need a lotttttt of time to adjust to this league and come to understand it. He's probably gonna miss defensive assignments and lose most battles along the boards. He'll have problems with the game's speed.

He's going to be a work in progress.
I think he'll be an upgrade to someone like Ralston, who's clearly lost a step (Nino is probably quicker) and just doesn't have the chemistry with Bailey and Comeau. Nino also has a big body, he's physically mature for his age, so I don't think he'll be the detriment against the boards that you do. He actually didn't look that out of place in the 9 games he played with the Islanders last year.

Old
10-30-2011, 12:53 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedepot View Post
Surprised you haven't.

It is pretty sad for a plumber no less. Getting upstaged by PAP who is pretty much a softy is eye opening.

Apparently the game plan really is to get John help by waiting for Nino and Strome to grow into the wings he needs. Many here seem to think that will happen overnight. Nino is here this year, and Strome possibly next year, and they will both instantly play at 1st line level. Possible? Yes, but I'd give it a 1% chance of happening that way. They will walk in unable to deal with the speed & physical nature of the NHL game like most other mortal boys before them. In Snow & Wang world this is a good plan. In honest reality where the rest of us live, this plan will take 4 to 5 years to work, assuming it works. What happens to Tavares' development over that time? His production? The team's record? Someone in a reporter's costume should be calling the Isles out on this one. It is a question screaming to be asked.

I know John is young, and thus not well versed in GMs and owners making the kind of BS lies and promises we've seen from their kin over the decades, but you'd think his agent would be smarter than that and tell the kid to wake up. The Isles got a franchise player, but they treat him like ****. They are twice as blessed because he cut a deal with them that forgives them their cheap ways. It is a testament to his character while at the same time a monument of shameful deceit on the organization's part.

(Most of this belongs in the Tavares Wing thread, sorry)

Last edited by A Pointed Stick: 10-30-2011 at 02:56 PM.
A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 01:52 PM
Sammy2010*

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
It is pretty sad for a plumber no less. Getting upstaged by PAP who is pretty much a softy is really sad. I guess Tavares puts up with this crap because one of them is his friend.

Apparently the game plan really is to get John help by waiting for Nino and Strome to grow into the wings he needs. Many here seem to think that will happen overnight. Nino is here this year, and Strome possibly next year, and they will both instantly play at 1st line level. Possible? Yes, but I'd give it a 1% chance of happening that way. They will walk in unable to deal with the speed & physical nature of the NHL game like most other mortal boys before them. In Snow & Wang world this is a good plan. In honest reality where the rest of us live, this plan will take 4 to 5 years to work, assuming it works. What happens to Tavares' development over that time? His production? The team's record? Someone in a reporter's costume should be calling the Isles out on this one. It is a question screaming to be asked.

I know John is young, and thus not well versed in GMs and owners making the kind of BS lies and promises we've seen from their kin over the decades, but you'd think his agent would be smarter than that and tell the kid to wake up. The Isles got a franchise player, but they treat him like ****. They are twice as blessed because he cut a deal with them that forgives them their cheap ways. It is a testament to his character while at the same time a monument of shameful deceit on the organization's part.

That is the plan, and it is not going to work. I am already seeing posts saying Strome and Nino are going to replace Bailey and Okposo. Apparently every offense men Snow drafts is going to be a stud.....until they are not. If Snow does not bring in the proper veteran support, most of these kids will not hit their peak. I do not mean over the hill vets.

Sammy2010* is offline   Reply With Quote