HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers @ Avalanche | 7:00PM | SNET

Closed Thread

Old
10-28-2011, 11:32 AM
Eirhead*

vCash: 500
Gagner's effort is there. I think he looks totally out of place on the wing. The kid played the last how many consecutive years at center??? I'd rather see Horcoff on the wing.

Old
10-28-2011, 11:34 AM
molsonmuscle360

vCash: 50
I would let Petrell take the seat tonight, he's young and a game or 2 in the pressbox will help his overall look at the game. And it would give us a chance to check out the Swede line.

And people need to stop freaking out that PRV hasn't scored yet. He's getting chances and he's playing good defense. He would have scored last night if he didn't get corkscrewed right before he shot.

Old
10-28-2011, 11:37 AM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrV View Post
Gagner's effort is there. I think he looks totally out of place on the wing. The kid played the last how many consecutive years at center??? I'd rather see Horcoff on the wing.
We need Horcoff's faceoff abilities.

Old
10-28-2011, 11:37 AM
OilerBob
The Youth Movement

Lets see Dubnyk in net tonight.

Old
10-28-2011, 11:44 AM
dobiezeke*

Quote:
riiiiight....that's a sure winner all around.

Old
10-28-2011, 11:55 AM
HallOfGreatness4

vCash: 800
Keep rolling

Old
10-28-2011, 12:01 PM
s7ark
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Would you rather have the MacBlender? Where we win a period and he changes them all in the 2nd period anyways...

If it ain't broke, don't fix. Ya that wasn't our best looking game last night... but we were up against a cup contender in form. Colorado < Washington, I'm cool with how the coach is coaching
There are good and bad wins and losses. Last night was a bad win. Khabby stole that one for us and we can't count on our goalie doing that every game.

What exactly is Eager going to bring tonight that is so vital? The Avs aren't going to beat us into the ground and we are lacking in secondary scoring. I'm all for Omark coming in for Eager tonight and shuffling around lines 2-4.

It isn't as black and white as "if it ain't broke..."

Old
10-28-2011, 12:01 PM
Beerfish

The oilers have lead a charmed life so far. Tons of games at home, great tending, guys coming out of nowhere to play very well (Power Potter Play).

We'll see what the team is made of pretty soon. We can't expect lights out tending every night. Other teams will line match against the youngsters and start to really smack them around. If we don't start to get secondary scoring we will start to lose these close games rather than win. I hope to god that Renney doesn't forget why we brought Hordicuck and Eager to the team because the top line is going to start to get roughed up.

Old
10-28-2011, 12:07 PM
okgooil

Quote:
MPV looks bad to, Oh well I have faith both can come around. We need some secondary scoring. Belanger has been really blah to, hopefully the whole line gets going tonight.

I think Sam will adjust to the wing. He just needs a couple bounces to get back in the swing of things.

Old
10-28-2011, 12:09 PM
stoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 View Post
I would let Petrell take the seat tonight, he's young and a game or 2 in the pressbox will help his overall look at the game. And it would give us a chance to check out the Swede line.
Well really Petrell isn't that young he's 27 i think and has played in pro leagues for more than 5 years. To me sitting him won't change anything in his game. He has to know his strengths, weaknesses and how to approach the game to be successful by now. He's a player that never hurts the team with his play. I'm not saying never sit him but only sit him if there is a better player available or if he is playing badly and hurting the team. Right now i don't think any of those are true.

And i agree with most posters on here that we need to call up petry and let him play now that whitney is hurt. Peckham has looked terrible all year, and petry played well in his last game up.

Old
10-28-2011, 12:11 PM
Planisphaerium

So this means Lander is staying up as well?

Old
10-28-2011, 12:19 PM
Eirhead*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope4theFuture View Post
We need Horcoff's faceoff abilities.
Well, this is me cherry-picking some stats because the sample size is small... But...

Gagner FO: 75%
Horcoff FO: 53%

Old
10-28-2011, 12:22 PM
Eirhead*

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoff View Post
Well really Petrell isn't that young he's 27 i think and has played in pro leagues for more than 5 years. To me sitting him won't change anything in his game. He has to know his strengths, weaknesses and how to approach the game to be successful by now. He's a player that never hurts the team with his play. I'm not saying never sit him but only sit him if there is a better player available or if he is playing badly and hurting the team. Right now i don't think any of those are true.

And i agree with most posters on here that we need to call up petry and let him play now that whitney is hurt. Peckham has looked terrible all year, and petry played well in his last game up.
Agree with that. Sounds like Whitney and Hemmer are both about 2 weeks away yet. Activate LTIR and bring up a player.

Old
10-28-2011, 12:22 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Quote:
Well, this is me cherry-picking some stats because the sample size is small... But...

Gagner FO: 75%
Horcoff FO: 53%
Yea you are cherry picking how can you compare two players that aren't even close on fo attempted.

Old
10-28-2011, 12:23 PM
Eirhead*

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
MPS looks bad to, Oh well I have faith both can come around. We need some secondary scoring. Belanger has been really blah to, hopefully the whole line gets going tonight.

I think Sam will adjust to the wing. He just needs a couple bounces to get back in the swing of things.
He's playing way to tentative. Somebody needs to tell him the best kind of defense is one where you're shooting on the other teams goalie. I like that kind of defense.

Old
10-28-2011, 12:24 PM
Eytinge

Omark needs to get in soon, I'd sit one of Gagner and MPS for him tonight.

Old
10-28-2011, 12:26 PM
Bryanbryoil

IMO we need to give the all Swede line a chance before we move out Omark. If they gel then let's face it, one of Gagner or Hemsky is toast.

10-28-2011, 12:26 PM
Eirhead*

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
Yea you are cherry picking how can you compare two players that aren't even close on fo attempted.
Ya but what else does Horcoff bring to the ice besides his faceoff? He hasn't looked very good. Too many giveaways, too many bad passes. Offense just dies on his stick. I have way more faith in Gagner putting up numbers... everyone's complaining about secondary scoring, but you're ok with our 2nd best up and coming center being played out of position for a crappy player who can take a faceoff?

Bah, people need to think more logically. The lottery line is doing just fine with 28% in the faceoff circle.

Old
10-28-2011, 12:28 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers4life5 View Post
We need to start generating secondary scoring I would shake up lines as follows

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Smyth-Horcoff-Gagner
Prv-Lander-Omark
Petrell-Belanger-Jones

What do you guys think? I would keep same d-pairs and give Pecks another chance (hoping he was just rusty!)

Start DD
I like the look of those lines. Or move Gagner to the Belanger line and keep Jones where he is for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
MPV looks bad to, Oh well I have faith both can come around. We need some secondary scoring. Belanger has been really blah to, hopefully the whole line gets going tonight.

Belanger IMO is getting too much of a free pass on the 3rd line. He has a single assist and he's a 40 point man for a number of years running.

Old
10-28-2011, 12:30 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Ya but what else does Horcoff bring to the ice besides his faceoff? He hasn't looked very good. Too many giveaways, too many bad passes. Offense just dies on his stick. I have way more faith in Gagner putting up numbers... everyone's complaining about secondary scoring, but you're ok with our 2nd best up and coming center being played out of position for a crappy player who can take a faceoff?

Bah, people need to think more logically. The lottery line is doing just fine with 28% in the faceoff circle.
Horcoff has been playing well, Smyth has been an adventure at times and Jones has been the weak link on that line, but Horcoff has been solid.

Old
10-28-2011, 12:30 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
Omark needs to get in soon, I'd sit one of Gagner and MPS for him tonight.
I'd hope that it's Gagner, but I expect that it'll be Paajarvi.

Old
10-28-2011, 12:36 PM
Eirhead*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Horcoff has been playing well, Smyth has been an adventure at times and Jones has been the weak link on that line, but Horcoff has been solid.
Horcoff, -1, sweet PP time, on for every PK goal against. I remember quite well it being the man he was to be covering scoring in 2 of the cases.

I guess nobody's perfect and this is a game where you capitalize on the mistakes of others. And maybe if you consider all the icetime he's had, his mistakes have been relatively low compared to someone like Omark or Gagner or Peckham. But his passing is absolute crap and he ends up playing most of the time on ice defending because of his errors. Has been my beef with Horcoff for the last 2 years, don't expect it to be getting any better. Wish he was tradeable.

Old
10-28-2011, 12:41 PM
BrinkOfGreatness*

I'm predicting a high scoring game. Always is in COL it seems like. Need some secondary scoring pronto!

Old
10-28-2011, 12:44 PM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilCity99 View Post
have the oilers made an official announcement on Nuge?
Yes, they officially drafted him first overall in the 2011 entry draft.

Old
10-28-2011, 12:46 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
There are good and bad wins and losses. Last night was a bad win. Khabby stole that one for us and we can't count on our goalie doing that every game.

What exactly is Eager going to bring tonight that is so vital? The Avs aren't going to beat us into the ground and we are lacking in secondary scoring. I'm all for Omark coming in for Eager tonight and shuffling around lines 2-4.

It isn't as black and white as "if it ain't broke..."
What did you expect yesterday? There was a better chance of me winning the lotto then the Oil looking good last night.

I also disagree on Eager. We are playing a young team tonight and his aggression will be a huge bonus tonight.

Closed Thread