HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Enroth again superb but Miller's # 1

Old
10-28-2011, 09:37 AM
Sabretip

vCash: 500
Enroth again superb but Miller's # 1

Quote:
Sabres coach Lindy Ruff can take a deep breath knowing he has a dependable backup behind Ryan Miller for the first time in years. Enroth is a good, young goalie who will give Miller the breaks he needs during a long, demanding season. He might even provide a little push from behind and keep Miller sharp.

"He puts a smile on your face," Ruff said. "I don't know if he ever gets excited. I think that's what's made him an effective goaltender. For his size, he has this calmness, this patience about him that you don't see out of many goaltenders. There's not many times he gets out of control or lost in his crease. He's been very good for us."

It's all good, really.

But that's where it ends.

No matter what senseless blather is drummed up in the community or what you read in the blogosphere or suspect when Miller has a rough night, there is no goaltending controversy in Buffalo. Miller will remain the No. 1 goalie so long as he's healthy and keeps a stall in the Sabres' dressing room. He's not getting traded.

"Everybody knows who Ryan Miller is," Enroth said. "He's one of the top guys in the league. I don't know how many wins he has, but I've played only 17 games."
Quote:
Heck, you would think Miller was 0-7 this season given the way he was dragged around over the past week by a certain population of, well, uninformed people suggesting he should be traded or pushed into a backup role. It's ludicrous.

Miller doesn't need me defending him. He's a big boy who can handle himself. He's a Vezina Trophy winner. He would be the franchise goaltender for a good two dozen teams, probably more. And yet people in Buffalo somehow rationalize that Enroth is the better answer.
Quote:
"I think we have a good situation here," Miller said. "He's young, hungry and wants to play. I want to win. He wants to win. We'll be just fine."
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/co...icle610459.ece

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 09:43 AM
LGB24

Love Enroth's attitude

LGB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 09:43 AM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

I don't think there's anything crazy about the idea about making an evaluation after this season if Enroth gets 25 games and looks brilliant in them. His win record is spectacular, and maybe a year or two down the line would make Miller expendable for the right return (I mean, a superstar). It's rational to have tempted thoughts about Enroth's potential. After all, very few teams keep two #1 goalies in tandem, and the return for Miller would be much higher than for Enroth.

Again, a year or two down the line.

haseoke39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 09:46 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

There it is, right on cue.

The coach and the goalies both say 'Miller is the guy, no question.' Yet people STILL want to speculate about Miller being traded.

What the hell do you people need, Pegula coming to your house personally to tell you?

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 09:49 AM
ZemgusWho
Play for 2013+

"I've played only 17 games," (but really who's counting)

I think we're so desperate, and have been deprived for so long, having TWO NHL level goalies who can win games on the roster, the only way anyone in Buffalo can react is "CONTROVERSY."

besides, what else will the talking heads on WGR pontificate on today? If anything a controversy is a welcome distraction from *****ing and moaning about football in Toronto.

Love Enroth still, he will get his chance one day.

ZemgusWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 09:52 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronin View Post
besides, what else will the talking heads on WGR pontificate on today?
I'm sure Schopp will find some nice dry logs and throw them on the 'Enroth should start, trade Miller' fire, because, let's face it, he's been doing it for years.

He doesn't believe that you need a franchise goaltender in this league, which may be true if the rest of your team is stacked and you can get away with it. However, he refuses to acknowledge that if you HAVE a franchise goaltender, it's not a bad thing and you can certainly win with him if you build the proper team.

But none of that matters you see, because he's smarter than you. Just ask him!

Old
10-28-2011, 10:01 AM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

Lol, I love how some fans have gone from Ruff needs to rest Miller more so he's ready for the playoffs to the Sabres need to trade Miller away because Enroth can (apparently) play 70 consecutive games better than Miller can. Lol.

Any goaltender with the number of starts that Miller has had in his career has had bad games. Enroth is not mystical. He's not TT + Hasek reborn. He's a good goaltender at the start of his NHL career.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 10:02 AM
sabresfan129103

I don't know what annoys me more. People like Schopp who are just itching for a goalie controversy or people like Paul Hamilton, where after every game that Enroth plays (good or bad) he goes on a crusade for Miller declaring that he's the starter.

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 10:06 AM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
I don't know what annoys me more. People like Schopp who are just itching for a goalie controversy or people like Paul Hamilton, where after every game that Enroth plays (good or bad) he goes on a crusade for Miller declaring that he's the starter.
Granted, that's a bit annoying too. I can understand it though, because I think that's the general opinion he runs into a lot with fans. I'm not a 100% fan of Paul, but his hockey sense is usually pretty good, and he tends to have good insights (as he should) on the team.

EDIT: Although, listening to the interviews, it sounds like the media is really drumming up the idea while blaming it on the fan base at the same time. -.-

Last edited by jamers: 10-28-2011 at 10:13 AM.
Old
10-28-2011, 10:22 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

I think Paul goes out of his way to say Miller is the starter because he understands, more than anyone else at the godforsaken station, that Miller is THE guy on this team, and will be for the next couple years at least. He has to be just as tired of listening to Schopp, and callers for that matter, constantly have to defend the franchise guy.

Joe Buscgalia made a great point last night. If Prospal scores that goal on Miller, his phones lines and email are lit up with people moaning about it being a softie. Because it was Enroth, nobody said a word.

Old
10-28-2011, 10:25 AM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
Joe Buscgalia made a great point last night. If Prospal scores that goal on Miller, his phones lines and email are lit up with people moaning about it being a softie. Because it was Enroth, nobody said a word.
That's true. I think some people expect perfection from Miller.

Old
10-28-2011, 10:35 AM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
ITT

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 10:41 AM
BowieSabresFan

I think folks just need to be happy with this situation. Miller has proven he's not a 70-75 game regular season goalie. This gives him the rest he needs, and the Sabres a quality goaltender to give him that rest. A rested Miller for the playoffs is something I am just drooling over.

BowieSabresFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 10:45 AM
minuteater
does not cohmpeet

Quote:
x3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowieSabresFan View Post
I think folks just need to be happy with this situation. Miller has proven he's not a 70-75 game regular season goalie. This gives him the rest he needs, and the Sabres a quality goaltender to give him that rest. A rested Miller for the playoffs is something I am just drooling over.
Was there anyone on the ice for Buffalo besides Miller and Gerbe against Philly I can't see how he can play much better during the playoffs but I can't wait to see.

And even if for some reason, during the playoffs, Miller faulters, we have Enroth (I think that is too many commas...)

minuteater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 10:48 AM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

He is number one because he proved the most during the 05-06 playoff series. He was the number one guy that they focused on keeping. He's number one because the team kept all of the core players that played with him in Rochester.

ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 11:07 AM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Hey, I'm not saying we have a goaltender controversy. I'm saying we probably will in a year or two, and I'm optimistic that we'll have that luxury at that time. There's a difference.

Old
10-28-2011, 11:11 AM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
Hey, I'm not saying we have a goaltender controversy. I'm saying we probably will in a year or two, and I'm optimistic that we'll have that luxury at that time. There's a difference.

why would you expect a controversy? you don't expect miller to perform well? If we play as a team in the playoffs and get a little luck, i just can't see a reason for controversy.

Old
10-28-2011, 11:13 AM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
There it is, right on cue.

The coach and the goalies both say 'Miller is the guy, no question.' Yet people STILL want to speculate about Miller being traded.

What the hell do you people need, Pegula coming to your house personally to tell you?
Miller is definitely the guy, and yet he might get traded in a couple years if Enroth develops into a starter and the team would get a better trade for Miller than Enroth. These aren't inconsistent ideas.

Old
10-28-2011, 11:14 AM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

Quote:
Miller is definitely the guy, and yet he might get traded in a couple years if Enroth develops into a starter and the team would get a better trade for Miller than Enroth. These aren't inconsistent ideas.
Speculation is speculation. A lot of time for things to play out. First indication we will get as to the organization's mind on the matter will be how they handle Enroth's expiring contract next season.

Old
10-28-2011, 11:15 AM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpressedDAHagent View Post
why would you expect a controversy? you don't expect miller to perform well? If we play as a team in the playoffs and get a little luck, i just can't see a reason for controversy.
No, I can see a controversy if Enroth gets to be as good (or close to as good) as Miller. If and when that happens, the team will have to trade one or the other, and might be better off getting a superstar in return for Miller than a lesser package for Enroth.

Old
10-28-2011, 11:16 AM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamers View Post
Speculation is speculation. A lot of time for things to play out. First indication we will get as to the organization's mind on the matter will be how they handle Enroth's expiring contract next season.
Well, you're on a message board. What do we have to do but speculate?

Old
10-28-2011, 11:21 AM
puckish66

I don't get it. Bucky boasts about being so independent that he doesn't listen to sports talk or follow fans on Twitter.

I want to know where he's hearing the "critics" and a "certain population."

It's a figment of his imagination that there's a big controversy, a classic Straw Man that he can bravely knock over.

I wish there was one. There should be one.

puckish66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 11:22 AM
SublimeNightmare

Send a message via Yahoo to SublimeNightmare
What a wonderful problem to have.

SublimeNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 11:22 AM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

Quote:
yeah but if we perform well in the playoffs (which is almost certain with miller), people will remember him being a franchise player. Lets not hang him out to dry to do so (like last year)! Enroth hasn't been so good that he has looked better then miller at his best. The trade idea was brought out mainly last year and that was because we had an awful defense. Enroth has looked good. But the story this year is about an improved offense.

I would have rather read an article from bucky about all the potential shooting and passing skill on offense (with the right chemistry). Of course that would required imaginative inspiration.

Old
10-28-2011, 11:24 AM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckish66 View Post
I don't get it. Bucky boasts about being so independent that he doesn't listen to sports talk or follow fans on Twitter.

I want to know where he's hearing the "critics" and a "certain population."

It's a figment of his imagination that there's a big controversy, a classic Straw Man that he can bravely knock over.

I wish there was one. There should be one.
It's occurred to me that he's actually trying to start one. One of the easiest ways to get people to believe something is to loudly deny it.

"I am not a witch/crook!"