HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers Home Opener Spoiled by the Leafs

Old
10-28-2011, 04:00 PM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Rangers Home Opener Spoiled by the Leafs

After a very long season-opening road trip, the Rangers came home last night to a partially renovated Madison Square Garden and a very excited fan base. By the time the players were introduced, John Amirante sang the national anthems, and the puck was dropped, everything was at a fevered pitch. But by the third period, [...]

More...

Leslie Treff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 04:03 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Yikes! Pretty scathing, Leslie - this should be merged with the "Time for a new coach?" thread...

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 04:06 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I disagree, Leslie. In fact, I think they changed their strategy for the worst. Before the two goals were called off, they were playing a very high octane, in the goalies face type of game. After the goals were called off I saw a lot less of that when they got into the zone.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 06:44 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

leslie nailed it.

last night- like many nights in his tenure- torts failed to adapt. torts failed to make any changes once the leafs adjusted after period 1. from the 2nd period on, torts was flatout outcoached. period.

totally agree with leslie. torts has one way. one system. when it isnt effective- due to adjustments by his opponent, his only answer is to keep doing the same thing.

losers coach that way.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 06:54 PM
Ail
Occult Knowledge

Agree 100% and it was the conclusion I came to thinking it over today. The first period they were all over Toronto, dominated them. Toronto adjusted, the Rangers did not. As far as I have seen Torts, rarely does adjust what isn't working, the exception being the lines. Once a team adapts to the Rangers playstyle, they generally end up outplaying them from that point on, win or lose. It's been this way since Torts' tenure here started.

Not a member of a fire Torts bandwagon, but I definitely agree he is terrible at changing his game to counter the other teams adaptations.

10-28-2011, 07:12 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
Agree 100% and it was the conclusion I came to thinking it over today. The first period they were all over Toronto, dominated them. Toronto adjusted, the Rangers did not. As far as I have seen Torts, rarely does adjust what isn't working, the exception being the lines. Once a team adapts to the Rangers playstyle, they generally end up outplaying them from that point on, win or lose. It's been this way since Torts' tenure here started.

Not a member of a fire Torts bandwagon, but I definitely agree he is terrible at changing his game to counter the other teams adaptations.
this goes right along with his personality

stubborn
cocky
bully
know it all
arrogant
hypocritical
old school
rigid
in your face

its almost like he refuses to make changes for fear that he would be admitting failure of some sort. its really weird.

someone please tell him that effort does not trump talent and "jam" does not = shots on net.

Old
10-28-2011, 09:53 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
this goes right along with his personality

stubborn
cocky
bully
know it all
arrogant
hypocritical
old school
rigid
in your face

its almost like he refuses to make changes for fear that he would be admitting failure of some sort. its really weird.

someone please tell him that effort does not trump talent and "jam" does not = shots on net.
Sorry, when did you play hockey for John Tortarella again?

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 10:24 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0flames View Post
Sorry, when did you play hockey for John Tortarella again?
playing hockey for him has nothing to do with saying it as it is. i have eyes and ears. assuming you do to.

as a newb, ill cut you some slack.

im going to guess you havent been paying attention the last few years.

please research john tortorella and let us know what you uncover relative to his personality and coaching tendencies.

Old
10-29-2011, 03:29 AM
chosen

Leslie knows the game so I am surprised that there was no mention that teams back from a long trip often smell out the joint when they return home.

I might end up wrong but I would bet there is marked improvement in the next one.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 09:08 AM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Leslie knows the game so I am surprised that there was no mention that teams back from a long trip often smell out the joint when they return home.

I might end up wrong but I would bet there is marked improvement in the next one.
Very true that teams home from a long trip often have bad first games. However, in the game on Thursday night, the Rangers started off like gangbusters. It's that what worked early in the game, did not work later. What I was trying to say was that I don't think that this was for lack of effort.

Leslie Treff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 09:51 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Treff View Post
Very true that teams home from a long trip often have bad first games. However, in the game on Thursday night, the Rangers started off like gangbusters. It's that what worked early in the game, did not work later. What I was trying to say was that I don't think that this was for lack of effort.
Not sure if it's effort, but it's definitely psychological that this happens.

It is funny that no one has been able to figure out why returning from long road trips leads to bad results, but it does. Same thing happened to the Kings the other night.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 12:40 PM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

Couldn't agree more with the article Leslie, but we've been watching Torts get out-coached in games for a few years now.

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 02:39 PM
number72

Leafs are an AHL team with Kessel and Phaneuf. I'm not sure how we lost especially with their backup sieve in net.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 04:54 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
playing hockey for him has nothing to do with saying it as it is. i have eyes and ears. assuming you do to.

as a newb, ill cut you some slack.

im going to guess you havent been paying attention the last few years.

please research john tortorella and let us know what you uncover relative to his personality and coaching tendencies.
Look man, I've been lurking here for a while. Your posts tend to be outstanding, except when you get on Torts. You throw all of your usual logic and rationality out of the window, on ONE topic. It's frustrating.

Not EVERY trait you mentioned is untrue, but the fact is it screams of confirmation bias. Nobody here has played for Torts, and very few know what he's like in practice. I think we all like these players so much we look for a scapegoat who wouldn't be missed.

Most of people's problems with Torts are speculation.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote