HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2011-12 Season Thread (Pt.4)

Closed Thread

Old
10-29-2011, 05:25 PM
Libbs

vCash: 500
You will still need a veteran presence to help guide the young team.

Old
10-29-2011, 05:27 PM
RayzorIsDull

Libbs I think the playoffs are important for this team to make. I don't disagree with your position but perception is everything. The team is struggling at the gate, they aren't getting the walkups they used to. It is up to guys like Clarke, Rychel, Ebert, Maletta, Bateman to show they are the future and start producing now to get something going into next year. If they miss the playoffs attitudes will change, you can't take away those 2 Memorial Cups but it wouldn't look good missing the playoffs 2 out of 6 years regardless of what happens in between. Before Rychel and Boughner arrived the Spitfires made the playoffs 7 straight years not a big achievement by any means but I think people forget how bad a team has to be to miss the playoffs 2 out of 6 years. Sarnia has missed a couple times recently remember how bad those teams were. Erie is going to miss the playoffs this year look at how bad they are.

As for trades I agree when you said I think they get picks. The problem is 2013-2014 is the big year for Windsor because they want to host a Memorial Cup. There are a bunch of other teams that will be gunning for the year not to host but be contenders because of 2 teams from the OHL being there. Don't expect any handouts the Knights aren't dealing part of their core. Ottawa isn't dealing Monahan, Sault isn't dealing Nurse, Sarnia same with Kujawinski. London isn't dealing anybody like Horvat, Domi or Rupert x2. One area Rychel should look at improving is their 93's who are likely to be OA's for any type of run. The 93's for Windsor right now aren't very good there's plenty of room to improve in that area.

Old
10-29-2011, 06:12 PM
Libbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Libbs I think the playoffs are important for this team to make. I don't disagree with your position but perception is everything. The team is struggling at the gate, they aren't getting the walkups they used to. It is up to guys like Clarke, Rychel, Ebert, Maletta, Bateman to show they are the future and start producing now to get something going into next year. If they miss the playoffs attitudes will change, you can't take away those 2 Memorial Cups but it wouldn't look good missing the playoffs 2 out of 6 years regardless of what happens in between. Before Rychel and Boughner arrived the Spitfires made the playoffs 7 straight years not a big achievement by any means but I think people forget how bad a team has to be to miss the playoffs 2 out of 6 years. Sarnia has missed a couple times recently remember how bad those teams were. Erie is going to miss the playoffs this year look at how bad they are.

As for trades I agree when you said I think they get picks. The problem is 2013-2014 is the big year for Windsor because they want to host a Memorial Cup. There are a bunch of other teams that will be gunning for the year not to host but be contenders because of 2 teams from the OHL being there. Don't expect any handouts the Knights aren't dealing part of their core. Ottawa isn't dealing Monahan, Sault isn't dealing Nurse, Sarnia same with Kujawinski. London isn't dealing anybody like Horvat, Domi or Rupert x2. One area Rychel should look at improving is their 93's who are likely to be OA's for any type of run. The 93's for Windsor right now aren't very good there's plenty of room to improve in that area.
I agree that missing the playoffs isn't the most ideal thing, business wise anyway. But whether we miss the playoffs or get swept in the first round, what's the difference besides 2 playoff gates? Are the people (as in season ticket holders) going to pay the higher cost for playoff tickets knowing the team is likely to get swept? Ticket prices are a whole other ball of wax. When walk-up prices are higher for a regular season game in 2011 than it was for a 2008 OHL Finals game...there are major problems. Next year is going to be the major proving ground where I would expect a long playoff run.

As for our group of 93's... yeah it's not very good. We have Duininck and that's it. But as we have seen with Kenny Ryan this year, you trade for a 93 now but he sticks in the AHL as a 20yo.... what then? Do you take the risk of getting that 93 in the lineup now and hoping he's around for an OA season, or make that trade in the 2013 offseason (where they will likely be cheaper than as a 17yo and may just find a guy with Memorial Cup experience).

Old
10-29-2011, 06:28 PM
Libbs

Here's the 2009 Draft:

Austen Brassard- TRADED
Steven Trojanovic- TRADED
Craig Duininck- On roster, possible
Austin Czarnik- NCAA
Jordan Schmaltz- NCAA, likely wouldn't be back for an OA season anyway
Matthew Peca- NCAA, TRADED
Blake Pietilla- NCAA, could be possible if he reported.
Michael Nishi- TRADED
Josh Malecki- TRADED
Dylan Seguin- Not in the team's plans, playing Jr. B.
Evan Makaric- Still yet to crack the line-up so doubtful
Travis Maezes- See Makaric
Eric Locke- TRADED
Michael Whaley- TRADED

I didn't realize that draft was so poor. The only saving grace is if Blake Pietila leaves MI Tech next season (the only way he could play an OA season is if he plays next year).

Old
10-29-2011, 06:30 PM
Libbs

Another reason why I feel missing the playoffs would be beneficial in the long run is, outside of a top 4 OHL pick, we would have the higher Import draft pick. Both those high picks would go a long way in solving the problem of not having enough offensive talent.

Old
10-29-2011, 06:33 PM
Libbs

Maybe Legend has some more info...but is Barber injured? If not, he must really be regretting his decision to go to the USNTP. He's only played 2 games so far.

Old
10-29-2011, 07:03 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
You will still need a veteran presence to help guide the young team.
This is why, if we can't get a lot for Kenny, I say keep him. He's probably our MVP, if he does what he's supposed to.

Old
10-29-2011, 07:08 PM
Libbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
This is why, if we can't get a lot for Kenny, I say keep him. He's probably our MVP, if he does what he's supposed to.
But like many have been saying, the Leafs may have a say in any potential deal. To be honest, I'd rather keep him.

Old
10-29-2011, 07:20 PM
OHLTG

Me too. I'd rather deal Campbell, Robertson, maybe Duininck, and use them to get our picks/players. Ryan has something we've lacked...well, two things we've lacked. He's also a fan favourite. You need his attributes.

Old
10-29-2011, 09:44 PM
LeafsFan18
Go Leafs Go

Thursday should be one heck of a game!

Old
10-29-2011, 10:14 PM
Libbs

This picture pretty much sums up how I feel right now...

Old
10-29-2011, 10:28 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post
This picture pretty much sums up how I feel right now...

Who's that guy? Cullen? Fun jabbing with you tonight Libbs. Posted my full summary in the game thread. Cheers...

Old
10-29-2011, 10:32 PM
Libbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kanuck View Post
Who's that guy? Cullen? Fun jabbing with you tonight Libbs. Posted my full summary in the game thread. Cheers...
That would be Robertson. He is wearing #20 for the Spits but based on his play today... he was playing for the Colts.

Old
10-29-2011, 10:35 PM
voltigeur

Quote:
Maybe Legend has some more info...but is Barber injured? If not, he must really be regretting his decision to go to the USNTP. He's only played 2 games so far.
According to usa hockey barber
12 gp. 4 g. 3 a.
2 of those ushl games

Old
10-29-2011, 10:38 PM
Libbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltigeur View Post
According to usa hockey barber
12 gp. 4 g. 3 a.
2 of those ushl games
Thanks...I was just going off of hockeyDB.

Old
10-29-2011, 10:43 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
That would be Robertson. He is wearing #20 for the Spits but based on his play today... he was playing for the Colts.
Ahh, yes, thanks for the clarification. He was very helpful this evening.

P.S. - What is this new avatar? You should go back to the "Why So Serious" one. It suits you better

Old
10-29-2011, 10:51 PM
Libbs

Quote:
Ahh, yes, thanks for the clarification. He was very helpful this evening.

P.S. - What is this new avatar? You should go back to the "Why So Serious" one. It suits you better
I like to switch it up. That's Ang, the Last Avatar....he's just BA!

Old
10-29-2011, 11:09 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
I like to switch it up. That's Ang, the Last Avatar....he's just BA!
According to ontariohockeyleague.com, it was Ty Bilcke who left the bench. Is he the guy who got tackled by the ref?

Old
10-29-2011, 11:23 PM
Libbs

Quote:
According to ontariohockeyleague.com, it was Ty Bilcke who left the bench. Is he the guy who got tackled by the ref?
Not sure...

But before any suspensions are handed out, they review the game tape. Bilcke wasn't the only player to leave the bench. Barrie had more than 5 guys on the ice as well.

Old
10-29-2011, 11:33 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Not sure...

But before any suspensions are handed out, they review the game tape. Bilcke wasn't the only player to leave the bench. Barrie had more than 5 guys on the ice as well.
No disagreement there...I have a feeling Ezekiel and Terreri are both going to be taking breaks. Ironically, that makes the Colts better as Hawerchuk can't play his favs with better guys in the press box...though no toughs for the rematch next week.

Old
10-30-2011, 03:48 AM
OHLTG

The video on DYG is what I've seen and it doesn't show a whole lot about who came off the respective benches. I am curious as to what Ezekiel and Cullen said to each other because it looks like ...again, "looks like"...Ezekiel pushed Cullen, who responds with words. Ezekiel pushes him again so Cullen grabs him (in a "are you serious?" fashion), and Ezekiel pushes him again...and the fans stand up.

Old
10-30-2011, 11:13 AM
RayzorIsDull

If Bilcke did in fact leave the bench that's stupid and very disappointing? I liked what he brought to the table early on but leaving the bench is stupid and has no place in hockey. That's stupid goon bs that shouldn't happen, goes for the Barrie player that left the bench as well. Hopefully Bilcke gets a nice vacation to think about what he did. I want Bilcke to develop his hockey skills not be a goon.

Old
10-30-2011, 11:13 AM
Libbs

Boughner gets 2 games and Bilcke gets 2 games + review. THATS IT! Nothing was imposed on Barrie at all! What a load of crap. Barrie had 8 guys on the ice during that whole thing yet escape without any supplemental discipline.

It's frustrating when this league is so inconsistent with it's rulings. Who wants to be Bilcke gets the book thrown at him even though he didn't do anything while on the ice. He shouldn't get any more than the automatic 2 games....but I'll say he gets a total of 20 because Branch is a dumb***

Old
10-30-2011, 11:16 AM
Libbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
If Bilcke did in fact leave the bench that's stupid and very disappointing? I liked what he brought to the table early on but leaving the bench is stupid and has no place in hockey. That's stupid goon bs that shouldn't happen, goes for the Barrie player that left the bench as well. Hopefully Bilcke gets a nice vacation to think about what he did. I want Bilcke to develop his hockey skills not be a goon.
But he didn't do anything except even out the numbers a bit. Barrie had 8 players on our 5. He didn't pull a Kugal! I'm not saying it's right but he hardly gooned it up when he was out there.

Old
10-30-2011, 11:27 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
But he didn't do anything except even out the numbers a bit. Barrie had 8 players on our 5. He didn't pull a Kugal! I'm not saying it's right but he hardly gooned it up when he was out there.
Was anything going to happen out there with the additional Barrie players on the ice? Nothing really seemed to happen. I imagine that's why Bilcke will get in trouble.

Closed Thread