HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers make it 4 in a row. Edm 3- Avs 1

Old
10-29-2011, 12:06 AM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin View Post
An hour later the cake is done! It was much smaller than I thought it would be...overall, I'm fairly disappointed. I don't love it, but I also don't hate it. Good thing it's just for a 6yr old! I'm definitely not quitting my day job to become a cake baker/decorator haha.

kid won't care, nice job!

CanadianCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 12:07 AM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Smid continues to be a blocking machine...he has 36 blocked shots (best in the league) in 10 games. Ridiculous pace he's setting for himself.

CanadianCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 12:07 AM
Eirhead*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin View Post
That's cool! My sister makes a few dozen custom cakes every year. They don't typically look much better than that (though I won't sell her short, her cakes all look pretty awesome). She's anti-hockey tho, so I doubt she'd ever make a cake like this. Mmmmmmm cake

Eirhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 12:10 AM
iCanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
This is the key. People have to be taught they can't just skate around with their head down
It is like driving, you need to ensure your car is safe, and by doing that everyone else stays safe because they are doing the same. We can't just yell at people who are at fault in accidents, it does nothing because it doesn't focus on risk rather something that already happened.

Guys just need to respect themselves much like enforcers do. Imagine if guys like Clutterbuck took the same approach to leveling a guy as Steve MacIntyre took to KTFO'ing people. Instead of "Yeah, I ran half way accross the ice and jumped. Totally rocked him!" it would be "You know, it is tough, you need to respect one another because on any given night it could be you getting clipped."

Also, super sexy cake Rin. Every cake I bake I magically manage to find an empty Sobies container to store it in...

iCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 12:12 AM
the word*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrV View Post
That's cool! My sister makes a few dozen custom cakes every year. They don't typically look much better than that (though I won't sell her short, her cakes all look pretty awesome). She's anti-hockey tho, so I doubt she'd ever make a cake like this. Mmmmmmm cake
Great, now I want cake!

Way to go guys.

the word* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 12:13 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobiezeke View Post
Did you catch a glimpse of me at the Leafs last Cup parade?
heh, its bad whey you're almost old enough to know what the song "50 mission cap" is about.

Gotta love the leafs though. We need a good National Joke.

Quote:
Our defense is playing sound hockey - I had to eat crow last night on Smid's play this year. He along with Gilbert/Potter are looking strong. Sutton and Barker - pleasant surprise...Barker is looking much better making the outlet pass which is helping to ease the pain of Whitney being out.

I realize it is only 10 games in, however something has clicked between the coaches and defense this year to not panic as soon as they touch the puck and actually look for an outlet pass. There actually appears to be confidence in what they are doing in their own end. Night and day from the past two years.
Yeah the poise of the D has been incredible. There was a play by Potter late in the game against the Caps. Shorthanded, killing time. fakes outlet pass, fake clearing, holds it, holds it, makes play. A few capitals I'm sure were looking up the game programs later wondering who this new 44 guy is.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 12:14 AM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobiezeke View Post
Our defense is playing sound hockey - I had to eat crow last night on Smid's play this year.
You're not alone there . Leading the NHL with 36 blocked shots .

NVM .... what Commie said .

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 12:16 AM
Eirhead*

Well, I expect a dominating win on Sunday, lappy is about to run out of batteries, so I'll say gnight everyone! Sure I could plug it in, but then I never go to sleep. Oilers 4, Blues 1, Oilers out-shoot them 27-18

Eirhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 12:17 AM
dobiezeke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
heh, its bad whey you're almost old enough to know what the song "50 mission cap" is about.

Gotta love the leafs though. We need a good National Joke.

Yeah the poise of the D has been incredible. There was a play by Potter late in the game against the Caps. Shorthanded, killing time. fakes outlet pass, or clearing, holds it, holds it. A few capitals I'm sure were looking up the game programs later wondering who this new 44 guy is.
I would believe that all 6 defensemen have confidence in each other and no one needs to be "the guy" this year. Gilbert is the prime example of this. He is just one of six instead of being relied on to play all aspects of the position night in/night out.

Peckham needs work. No hate on the guy, however he is looking lost out there.

dobiezeke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 12:18 AM
Dangerdanger

I still can't believe how many people wanted Smid gone for a bag of pucks. As well as Gagner after 2 (two!) games this year. He definitely looked better tonight.

As for the Oilers, I'm certainly happy we won, but there are a few things to be concerned about. Trouble getting out of the defensive zone tonight and last night, and running around. I'm hoping that this is a factor of playing the best team in the league followed by tiredness tonight, but hopefully they pick it up on Sunday. Teams on winning streaks usually win a few games at the end of the streak that they shouldn't be winning, just as its the opposite for losing streaks.

Dangerdanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 12:20 AM
Rin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCommie View Post
kid won't care, nice job!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrV View Post
Thanks guys. He is pretty proud of it and is showing it to anyone and everyone. I just wish I had an actual bag for the icing, rather than a ziplock bag with the corner cut off haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the word View Post
Great, now I want cake!

Way to go guys.
I'll email you a slide!

Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 12:21 AM
puckfan13

Sutton should get suspended. He sticks his elbow out at the last second on the replay when it's slowed down frame-by-frame. If you have it on your PVR go watch it yourself. If that happened to any Oilers player I would hope to God it was a suspension and hope the same happens to Sutton. Just can't do that. Don't care how tall you are, can't blatantly elbow people in the head. If Chara elbowed RNH in the head in the neutral zone I wouldn't be very happy. Have to be in control of your body and decisions.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 12:21 AM
dobiezeke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
You're not alone there . Leading the NHL with 36 blocked shots .

NVM .... what Commie said .
There is no pressure on Smid to play the role of offensive defenseman this year - Potter/Barker/Whitney take that pressure off him. He is now able to efficiently fulfill the role that he is best suited for. We have needed a solid defensive defenseman and he is accomplishing that in spades this year.

dobiezeke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 12:32 AM
Senor Catface

Thank god Smid has smartened up and eliminated all those high risk plays that got him clobbered every second game. Last year it seemed like it was a matter of time before he died on ice.

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 12:40 AM
Hunt4Oil

Nice job on the cake Rin, that's awesome!

Hunt4Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 12:47 AM
Goulet17

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
Sutton should get suspended. He sticks his elbow out at the last second on the replay when it's slowed down frame-by-frame. If you have it on your PVR go watch it yourself. If that happened to any Oilers player I would hope to God it was a suspension and hope the same happens to Sutton. Just can't do that. Don't care how tall you are, can't blatantly elbow people in the head. If Chara elbowed RNH in the head in the neutral zone I wouldn't be very happy. Have to be in control of your body and decisions.
I was kind of curious how Edmonton fans would react to the hit. At first blush, it didn't appear that violent. On slow motion, it appeared to be one of the most blatant head shots I've seen in quite some time.

You have to wonder if Landeskog isn't concussed severely, but reacted similarly to the Perron hit last season.

Goulet17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 12:48 AM
awesomo
HARD!

like i said man, Smytty might have lost a few steps and stuff but his hands around the net are still there.

The guy is incredibly greasy around the net, the puck just follows him, especially down low. There is no better player out there around the boards than Ryan Smyth. As he has gotten older, hes also gotten a bit wiser around that area.

And it works both ways, its usually pretty safe to throw the puck around the boards to smytty, he ll just somehow, someway chip it out.

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 12:55 AM
Rin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt4Oil View Post
Nice job on the cake Rin, that's awesome!
Thanks

Old
10-29-2011, 01:01 AM
Lay Z Boy GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCanada View Post
We are.

^_^

I checked the standings too soon after the game and they weren't updated. I felt like and idiot, and then I realized I'm an idiot twice. Screw it, we're 1st!

Lay Z Boy GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 01:02 AM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

secondary scoring!

I don't care that the kid line didn't score, its nice to get some other lines going and Dubnyk played amazing again

Im really concerned about PRV, here's hoping he gets scoring against the Blues

The Last Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 01:03 AM
Rin

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCanada View Post
It is like driving, you need to ensure your car is safe, and by doing that everyone else stays safe because they are doing the same. We can't just yell at people who are at fault in accidents, it does nothing because it doesn't focus on risk rather something that already happened.

Guys just need to respect themselves much like enforcers do. Imagine if guys like Clutterbuck took the same approach to leveling a guy as Steve MacIntyre took to KTFO'ing people. Instead of "Yeah, I ran half way accross the ice and jumped. Totally rocked him!" it would be "You know, it is tough, you need to respect one another because on any given night it could be you getting clipped."

Also, super sexy cake Rin. Every cake I bake I magically manage to find an empty Sobies container to store it in...
Hahaha, I just saw this comment now! I considered buying a cake that just had plain white icing on it and decorating it but it was too small.

I'm more of an everything but cake baker. I can bake the hard stuff like cream puffs, I can make cheesecakes, and strangely enough I can make cupcakes...but cakes and I don't get along the greatest. I make some killer cookies too.

Old
10-29-2011, 01:06 AM
OilerOlli*

Great, but I want to see Pääjärvi and Lander on the scoreboard.
10 games 0/0 is ugly.
Lander is offensively pretty weak I knew tho. Like I said I think you with the high expections of him (2nd line C, kind of Zettererg) will be a bit disapointed. I see him as a 3rd/4th line C in his career, when he stayes in the NHL.

OilerOlli* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 01:16 AM
N O T O R I O U S
╱█¯█¯██¯█★█¯██¯█¯█╲

vCash: 227

Last edited by N O T O R I O U S: 09-04-2012 at 03:11 AM.
N O T O R I O U S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 01:22 AM
5cupstandard

Saw my first glance of Lander's team mentality by leading by example. Took a stick in the face, got hit from behind which sent him flying head first into the boards. Got right back and was the first forward back instead of *****footin back to the bench like so many other players.

Class act!

5cupstandard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 01:25 AM
Wheatking

I love that Smid is blocking tons of shots but he seems to be getting hurt quite a bit. I'm not entirely sure what he's doing wrong out there but I remember Jason Smith used to block 200+ shots a year and rarely did he look like he was in as much pain as Smid is out there. I worry that eventually it's going to take it's toll on him.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote