HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

So will Sutton be suspended for multiple games on his Landeskog hit tonight?

Old
10-29-2011, 01:12 AM
Cam98

vCash: 500
i don't see anything happening to sutton, no fine or suspension imo

Cam98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 01:13 AM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

And really at some point you have to give the big guys some leniency. If you're 6'6 you basically are banned from open ice hitting.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 01:16 AM
Goulet17

So do you draw a distinction based on a player's height?

Chara would get a free pass to hit a player's head because he simply is taller?

Like I said, I don't know if it is a black and white argument.

Goulet17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 01:16 AM
Dylonus

Maybe it's just me - but how is this ANY different from what Cooke did to Savard?

That's ugly. Thank God Landeskog didn't get hurt from that. That could have been UGLY.

Dylonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 01:17 AM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goulet17 View Post
According to the link I posted, Sutton is a repeat offender.

Personally, my thoughts are that it is difficult to argue that it is suspension worthy when the only contact is with the head.

Maybe I am out of touch with the times.
The link is wrong. Sutton shouldn't be listed as a repeat offender unless they changed the time window.

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 01:17 AM
Oilersfanneedsdrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavaresmagicalplay View Post
And really at some point you have to give the big guys some leniency. If you're 6'6 you basically are banned from open ice hitting.
That seems to be the way its going, Sutton did get a borderline call against the caps as well. Just a big guy finishing a check from a guy that even ducked to try and avoid the hit, the result was a roughing call.

I will hand it to the NHL for trying to protect a players head, there will be a big learning process where the NHL disciplinary committee will also make mistakes.

Oilersfanneedsdrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 01:19 AM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke49 View Post
Stupid hit. Had one intention and one intention only. Landeskog had been playing hard all game and did some things that the Oilers would probably consider over the line, so Sutton took a run at him and caught nothing but face. Was a glancing blow but stupid and careless nonetheless.

It's hockey. People are allowed to hit. The only reason he got him in the head is because he's 6'6.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 01:24 AM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylonus View Post
Maybe it's just me - but how is this ANY different from what Cooke did to Savard?

That's ugly. Thank God Landeskog didn't get hurt from that. That could have been UGLY.
It's completely different don't be ridiculous. The head was clearly targeted on the Savard hit and the puck was gone. Landeskog knew the hit was coming and tried to avoid it. At least imo.
Quote:
So do you draw a distinction based on a player's height?

Chara would get a free pass to hit a player's head because he simply is taller?

Like I said, I don't know if it is a black and white argument.
Well what are you going to do call a penalty for the guy being taller than the other guy?

Old
10-29-2011, 01:25 AM
karnige
Real Life FTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post

It's hockey. People are allowed to hit. The only reason he got him in the head is because he's 6'6.
I agree his height played the big part in this. his shoulder was still in. still a penalty in the new nhl

karnige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 01:31 AM
molsonmuscle360

It's pretty hard for Sutton not to hit a lot of guys in the head...He's pretty damn tall. But yeah, he'll probably get a game.

molsonmuscle360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 01:32 AM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 View Post
It's pretty hard for Sutton not to hit a lot of guys in the head...He's pretty damn tall. But yeah, he'll probably get a game.
The standard hasn't been set just yet imho. It's not a slam dunk he get's suspended.

Old
10-29-2011, 01:34 AM
iCanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManOnTheMoon View Post
Not an elbow, but a headshot. Stupid play by Sutton, but Jesus, Lando, look where you're going. Olver got rocked last year fishing for a pass like that.
Not Landeskog's fault, he recieved the definition of a trolly-track-pass.

I don't think it should be a suspension. You can't suspend a guy for being five inches taller. All Sutton did was finish his check, that is a good hard hit with not intention to concuss the guy.

I mean, I am against stupid dangerous plays as anyone, but at some point you still have to protect yourself. It is like driving, you need to ensure your car is safe, and by doing that everyone else stays safe because they are doing the same. We can't just yell at people who are at fault in accidents, it does nothing because it doesn't focus on risk rather something that already happened.

Guys just need to respect themselves much like enforcers do. Imagine if guys like Clutterbuck took the same approach to leveling a guy as Steve MacIntyre took to KTFO'ing people. Instead of "Yeah, I ran half way accross the ice and jumped. Totally rocked him!" it would be "You know, it is tough, you need to respect one another because on any given night it could be you getting clipped."

I mean, at some point you still need to be responsible to keep your head up and protect yourself. It is like no one will have sympathy for you if you walk into the same scam five times, if you keep getting leveled with your head down maybe it is your fault.

iCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 01:41 AM
Goulet17

I guess if you draw a distinction based on height, can you really suspend a shorter player for the same hit?

How does that work exactly on an intellectual level?

Old
10-29-2011, 01:42 AM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

I guess he didn't, but he at the very least adjusted his body very quickly.

Quote:
I guess if you draw a distinction based on height, can you really suspend a shorter player for the same hit?

How does that work exactly on an intellectual level?
The shorter player has more control on what part of the body he contacts.

Thinking about it twice it's probably a very similar hit to the Perron hit a year ago. Sutton will likely get a pretty significant suspension.

Last edited by Crimson Skorpion: 10-29-2011 at 06:12 AM. Reason: Merged
Old
10-29-2011, 01:47 AM
Goulet17

As a follow up, I just want to to say that I understand the argument.

Ultimately head shots are a subjective argument. Maybe we should all realize that at the end of the day, the NHL and the NFL are gladiator sports, and if a player is injured during the course of play, it is the way it is meant to be.

Last edited by Goulet17: 10-29-2011 at 01:55 AM.
Old
10-29-2011, 01:56 AM
Crabapple

I wouldn't be surprised with a 1 or 2 game suspension. I'd need to see a replay of it again, but I remember it being a suicide pass up to lando.

Crabapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 02:18 AM
The Head Crusher

vCash: 18821
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
Well lets break this down:

Rule 48.1 - Illegal Check To The Head

A hit resulting in contact with an opponents head, where the head is targeted and the principle point of contact, is not permitted. However, in determining whether a hit should have been permitted, the circumstances of the hit, including whether the opponent put himself in a vulnerable position immediately prior to or simultaneously with the hit or or the head contact on an otherwise legal body check was avoidable, can be considered.

Keep in mind targeted is now defined as either intentional or reckless.

The first two replays in the above video are inconclusive as to the principle point of contact, but the third clearly shows that Landeskog's head is hit first with Sutton's shoulder. It is also to be noted that at the time of the hit Landeskog was looking away while receiving a pass and there was no major change in the the position of his body or the elevation of his head. This puts the onus on Sutton to either make full body on body or to easy off the hit. While the there was contact to the head, it looks like (to me anyways) that Sutton was attempting to a body on body hit but contacted Landedkog's head instead. However this would still fit the definition of targeted, as it was not intentional but reckless.

So in Summary

1. There was contact with the head, where the head was the principle point of contact.
2. Landeskog did not put himself in a vulnerable position immediately prior to or simultaneously to the hit, thus putting the onus on Sutton.
3.While it doesn't appear to be intentional, it fits the definition of a reckless targeting of the head.
4. Sutton is a repeat offender, having been suspended once in the past.
5. The was not apparent injury on the play, Landeskog did receive a bloody nose but finished the game.

Is there enough evidence to support a hearing and a suspension? As a hockey and Oilers fan I would say yes. I will not be surprised to see Sutton suspended for this hit. Stupid Pronger Physics .

10-29-2011, 02:28 AM
Glennsoe
Horndog

Not a fan of the hit at all..

Should get a reaction from nhl for it..

Glennsoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 02:32 AM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
^ Great, unbiased analysis.

I don't think he meant to hit him in the head, but he did so he's still at fault.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 02:42 AM
Lottery Oilers*
Nuge is Cobra

The Avs defensemen should get suspended for serving up a textbook suicide pass. Even if Sutton hits him in the shoulder or chest Landy could have ended up concussed.

As for the headshot.. its borderline but we need to protect young stars like Landeskog so Sutton will probably receive a couple games. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't get suspended though but as an Oilers fan I'm fine either way.

Lottery Oilers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 03:14 AM
wKetch22
Pure Grime

vCash: 50
Kudos to Landeskog for being a tough guy and getting right back up

Most players would try to sell a call or a suspension

wKetch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 03:28 AM
Pepper

Clean hit, I cant believe how someone sees elbowing in that.

Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 03:29 AM
MessierII

I'm an Oiler fan but I'll say this. He definitely took a run at him and did hit his head, partially due to the fact Sutton is 6'6" and partially due to the fact Landeskog had his head down. Im not sure which way the NHL will go with this but if they do decide to suspend it will be minor 1-2 games because it was glancing and Sutton I don't believe is a repeat offender.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 03:44 AM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Took a run.
Suspension.

Sutton read that play like a book. I'm sorry if you think he should allow the rookie to skate into his zone with the puck so he doesn't get get a big hurty bruise but Landeskog received quite the suicide pass from his teammates there and was as much at fault for it as the Landeskog himself.

That was a textbook north-south hit and it will teach Landeskog an important lesson. I don't think the Oilers are going to tolerate that attempt of such a brash move this year. Might've worked last year though.

It was a headshot, sure, but no intent to injure. If it's such a big problem maybe they should just add 2" extenders to Landeskog skate blades so next time he'll be at the average NHL height. Marty St. Louis manages just fine.

I've seen way worse hits on Hemsky/Hall/Eberle that have resulted in zero suspension.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 03:53 AM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
I'm an Oiler fan but I'll say this. He definitely took a run at him and did hit his head, partially due to the fact Sutton is 6'6" and partially due to the fact Landeskog had his head down. Im not sure which way the NHL will go with this but if they do decide to suspend it will be minor 1-2 games because it was glancing and Sutton I don't believe is a repeat offender.
He is a repeat offender. He was suspended for this:

Zen Arcade is offline   Reply With Quote