HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Jackets at Hawks 10/29/11 8:30 Twitter for Dummies ;)

Old
10-30-2011, 09:21 AM
Derby
Pilsners in Prague

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Tough Nuts View Post
I'm a Crew fan living in Dallas, so I have kind of picked up on FC Dallas too, went to the FC Dallas playoff game Wednesday, they lost, Rangers, Crew and Jackets all lost on Thursday... no sunnier in soccer unless you mean EPL, then COYG - huge win over Chelsea today
Say what?

Derby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 10:52 AM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Wow, so many breakdowns. After the first period and seeing the forecheck working, I had some hope for this game (mainly because i had just seen the Badgers go down in flames, for the second week in a row). But the inevitable happened. Guys slowing down and the usual turnovers and players out of place, bring the cold hard slap of reality.

Seeing the Portzline scuttlebut, changes appear to be coming.

Jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 11:28 AM
OnYourIgnoreList

Quote from Rick Nash in today's game article: "We're a team that's going to have to win with two or three goals."

The captain has given up.

OnYourIgnoreList is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 02:04 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnYourIgnoreList View Post
Quote from Rick Nash in today's game article: "We're a team that's going to have to win with two or three goals."

Wow that's sad. No one can defend that gem.

Timeless Winter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 02:14 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:

Link?

1857 Howitzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 02:24 PM
CBJCougar

Quote:

http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/

"We’re a team that’s going to have to win with two or three goals,” captain Rick Nash said. “On the backside of that, we have to be good defensively and only give up one or two. We can’t give up that many and hope to win.”

So tell me what was wrong with what he said?? It's the truth!! Nowhere do I see that he has given up.

CBJCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 02:24 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer View Post
Link?
The link would show the next sentence to be, paraphrasing, "we'll have to give up only one or two." Giving up, or recognizing the same things we've seen - either score a lot more or let fewer in?

Edit: thanks for jumping in there with the quote, Coug!

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 02:29 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:

Somewhere in Manitobian Wilderness, Claude Noel simply nods his head in approval.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 02:35 PM
Nanabijou
Playoffs back at Nat

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
Somewhere in Manitobian Wilderness, Claude Noel simply nods his head in approval.
Arniel to Winnipeg for Noel (e4).

The Jackets don't show any improvement but the entertainment provided in the pressers help soften the blow for any remaining fans.

Nanabijou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 02:38 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJCougar View Post

"We’re a team that’s going to have to win with two or three goals,” captain Rick Nash said. “On the backside of that, we have to be good defensively and only give up one or two. We can’t give up that many and hope to win.”

So tell me what was wrong with what he said?? It's the truth!! Nowhere do I see that he has given up.
Thanks, I knew there had to be more to the quote. Got to love misleading posts from drive by posters.

1857 Howitzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 02:41 PM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Thanks, I knew there had to be more to the quote. Got to love misleading posts from drive by posters.
You're welcome. In the same article, Nash goes on to say...

“There are 71 games left,” Nash said. “We’re in a huge hole. No one is happy. We’re mad at ourselves. But there are 71 games left.”

Which, to me, says he has not given up. I guess it's all in the interpretation. I see a man who is honestly saying, yes, we care, we're mad about it too but it ain't over.

CBJCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 07:40 PM
OnYourIgnoreList

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJCougar View Post

What's wrong is he's basically ceding the idea that two or three goals is, in some way, acceptable. Because if the team makes its two or three goals, they have played up to their capability in his mind.

In short, the statement points to a form of complacency, to an acceptance of what we're seeing now as the norm. I don't believe that good teams, winning teams, teams that overachieve ever accept a ceiling.

Compare it to what Prospal said about practice. Prospal's message was that you play like you practice, so practice hard. In other words, always seek to raise your potential. Nash's quote is almost the opposite of that statement: it accepts limits, it accepts the first 11 games as OK in some fashion - it states that 2 to 3 goals is playing up to their offensive potential. That is, ostensibly, what he's saying: by getting 2 or 3 goals, we're hitting our mark on the offensive side of the game, we're playing up to our potential.

And I don't think the bookend statement re: defense in any way indemnifies him. Because it accepts that they CAN play better defense. So he's saying they have to improve on one side, but that they can't on the other. In fact, by saying specifically that defense needs to improve (a statement looking to the future) and never intimating anything like that on the offensive side actually bolsters my point.

That's a bad message from the leadership of the team, in my opinion (as all of this is).

Quote:
In the same article, Nash goes on to say...

“There are 71 games left,” Nash said. “We’re in a huge hole. No one is happy. We’re mad at ourselves. But there are 71 games left.”
Actually, that quote is not in the paper's article, which I what I read and what I quoted from: http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/conte...irst-start.htm

I was remiss in not posting the link, but as I said, I took the quote from the paper article and did not check the dispatch.com site for it. My apologies.

Having said that, it has no bearing on my opinion of the statement I originally quoted.

Quote:
Sorry, but I don't typically like to post in the conversationally bullied echo-chamber that this board has become. Pardon me for being a drive-by poster (who's been here since before you). Thanks, however, for reminding me why I haven't endeavored to acquire a larger post count.

OnYourIgnoreList is offline   Reply With Quote