HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

OHL Prospects - Early Season Top 30 for the 2012 NHL Draft (OHL Edition)

Old
10-29-2011, 10:25 AM
Brock
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
OHL Prospects - Early Season Top 30 for the 2012 NHL Draft (OHL Edition)

http://ohlprospects.blogspot.com/201...nhl-draft.html

Check the link for full write ups, but here's the list.

1. Nail Yakupov - F - Sarnia Sting
2. Brendan Gaunce - F - Belleville Bulls
3. Cody Ceci - D - Ottawa 67's
4. Alex Galchenyuk - F - Sarnia Sting
5. Matt Finn - D - Guelph Storm
6. Olli Maatta - D - London Knights
7. Nick Ebert - D - Windsor Spitfires
8. Slater Koekkoek - D - Peterborough Petes
9. Gianluca Curcuruto - D - Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds
10. Andreas Athanasiou - F - London Knights
11. Matia Marcantuoni - F - Kitchener Rangers
12. Adam Pelech - D - Erie Otters
13. Dylan Blujus - D - Brampton Battalion
14. Jesse Graham - D - Niagara IceDogs
15. Michael Clarke - F - Windsor Spitfires
16. Daniel Altshuller - G - Oshawa Generals
17. Radek Faksa - F - Kitchener Rangers
18. Gemel Smith - F - Owen Sound Attack
19. Thomas Wilson - F - Plymouth Whalers
20. Jarrod Maidens - F - Owen Sound Attack
21. Matt Murray - G - Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds
22. Dane Fox - F - London Knights
23. Malcolm Subban - G - Belleville Bulls
24 & 25. Ryan Rupert & Matt Rupert - F - London Knights
26. Scott Laughton - F - Oshawa Generals
27. Scott Kosmachuk - F - Guelph Storm
28. Matthew Campagna - F - Sudbury Wolves
29. Chris Marchese - F - Erie Otters
30. Patrik Machac - F - Brampton Battalion

Love to hear your feedback and questions.

Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 11:51 AM
EvenSteven

Agree with your writeups on the Ranger players. Faksa is as advertised period.

Marcantuoni, however, is having a terrible start to the season. He has been given every opportunity to succeed but has pretty much failed at every turn.

He's suffered two concussions since the U18's in August and may now be gun shy as far as the physical going and heavy traffic is concerned.

Last year, he was penalized a few times and I think even suspended once for cutting hard to the net with the puck, resulting in the goalie getting bowled over. With the league handing down suspensions the way it is this year, he may be steering clear of that play as well in fear of being awarded one of those 10 gamers.

He was expected to be among the top 10 scorers in the league this year but hasn't cracked the top ten on his team.

Therefore, if he continues to avoid high traffic areas, continues to steer clear of the net, and keeps up a scoring pace that will net him under 25 points this season (3 points in 9 games to date), he'll fast drop out of the 1st round altogether - especially since you consider he may soon be viewed by NHL scouts as a gamble because of the concussions.

EvenSteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 04:01 PM
FrontenacSens

What about Alex Gudbranson? He should atleast be an honourable mention

FrontenacSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 03:32 PM
Brock
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddz17 View Post
What about Alex Gudbranson? He should atleast be an honourable mention
I just don't see it to be honest. I wasn't impressed with him in his rookie season, and he hasn't really been much more noticeable this year. He wouldn't even crack my top 40 at this point.

Will he generate interest? Obviously, because he was a high priority selection and his brother was a high NHL draft pick, scouts will check him out. But if I'm making a list of the guys you really need to see at this point, he's not on it.

Old
10-30-2011, 05:05 PM
fanofdo

Brock, should Galenchuk not play this season, essentially not giving the scouts a chance to see him hardly at all this year. How hard would it be to pick him at the number 4 spot (based on today's results). Wouldn't most GMs have difficulty picking him in the top 10 or would they do extensive research on his rehab?

fanofdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 08:16 AM
Brock
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofdo View Post
Brock, should Galenchuk not play this season, essentially not giving the scouts a chance to see him hardly at all this year. How hard would it be to pick him at the number 4 spot (based on today's results). Wouldn't most GMs have difficulty picking him in the top 10 or would they do extensive research on his rehab?
That's the million dollar question isn't it?

ACL injuries aren't a big deal anymore. Guys bounce back from them pretty quickly and without any lingering problems. I think the bigger concern is not being able to see his progression from 16 to 17 year old.

Will he become irrelevant when the other top forwards start producing? I think he'll inevitably slide. With the likes of Yakupov, Forsberg, Grigorenko, etc at the top of this draft, he runs the risk of becoming the forgotten man among the elite forwards of this draft.

But, on the other hand, he's just too talented and has too much potential to pass up. There will be a team out there who has enough confidence after seeing him last year, to take him in the top 10/15.

Old
10-31-2011, 09:05 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
That's the million dollar question isn't it?

ACL injuries aren't a big deal anymore. Guys bounce back from them pretty quickly and without any lingering problems. I think the bigger concern is not being able to see his progression from 16 to 17 year old.

Will he become irrelevant when the other top forwards start producing? I think he'll inevitably slide. With the likes of Yakupov, Forsberg, Grigorenko, etc at the top of this draft, he runs the risk of becoming the forgotten man among the elite forwards of this draft.

But, on the other hand, he's just too talented and has too much potential to pass up. There will be a team out there who has enough confidence after seeing him last year, to take him in the top 10/15.
With Galchenyuk missing this entire season it almost assures that Galchenyuk will be back in the OHL next season.

Brock, I think you 100% (oops this is sports)...make that 110% nailed the Ranger prospects.
I could see Faska moving up and if Marcantuoni start hitting the net with his shots he could stabilize his position. If not,
he could be one of the many with great tools but no hockey finish.
The injury to McEneny came at the time when he was really starting to dominate and may have been the teams best d-man.
If he wasn't injured, he may have still be the teams best d-man...Ryan Murphy included.

* Just a heads up, keep an eye on Jared Gilbert (1995)....he's impressed so far

Ward Cornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 12:37 PM
Crottenham

Don't you think it is a little premature to consider Marcantoni one of those with "no hockey finish" at the age of 17, even if he can't turn it around at all this season? Just wondering....

Crottenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 05:37 PM
ottawah

Quote:
Perhaps the most example of something close to this would be Brent Connolly. He suffered a serious injury, only got in 16 games in his draft year, and fell to 6th. He may have been up to third otherwise.

I may also put it forward though that if Yakapov keeps playing like he is, scouts may question how much contribution Galenchuk made and how much of it was riding coat tails. Everyone knows he is talented, but if Yakapov keeps up the scoring without Galenchuk , it will nag in the back of some scouts heads.

ottawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 06:19 PM
fanofdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawah View Post
Perhaps the most example of something close to this would be Brent Connolly. He suffered a serious injury, only got in 16 games in his draft year, and fell to 6th. He may have been up to third otherwise.

I may also put it forward though that if Yakapov keeps playing like he is, scouts may question how much contribution Galenchuk made and how much of it was riding coat tails. Everyone knows he is talented, but if Yakapov keeps up the scoring without Galenchuk , it will nag in the back of some scouts heads.
I've spoke to several scouts (add Sarnia fans to this) that wonder how many more points Yakupov would be putting up with Galenchuk on his line. Regardless of what happens this year, it is a disappointment not to see those two playing together right now.

BTW - does anyone know if he has had his surgery?

fanofdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 06:26 PM
saska sault

Alex has successful surgery in London, if I remember correctly.

As for Curcuruto, he has is a rock defensively, but offensive is slow coming. He will stick handle through a team at times, then just skate into the corner with the puck. He has all the potential to be a great offensive defensemen but often seems hesitant. I think as the season goes on and he gets comfortable with the new guys on his team, he will come out of his shell.

As for Murray, he has been very good. Had a few iffy games, but overall he has shown he was the right choice for starter. He will be a solid goalie for a few years here in Hound Town and I would surprised if he isnt picked in the first 3 rounds this year.

saska sault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 11:59 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Epic Collapse

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
I just don't see it to be honest. I wasn't impressed with him in his rookie season, and he hasn't really been much more noticeable this year. He wouldn't even crack my top 40 at this point.

Will he generate interest? Obviously, because he was a high priority selection and his brother was a high NHL draft pick, scouts will check him out. But if I'm making a list of the guys you really need to see at this point, he's not on it.
I gotta agree with Brock on this one.

Gudbranson had a decent, but not anything special, rookie season last year. He looked like he was capable of playing in the OHL, but he didn't impress beyond that; I never saw anything in his game that suggested high NHL pick to me.

He's since followed up a rather average rookie year with an absolutely horrible second season. His play this year has been so bad that it's tough to even differentiate between him and the rookie defensemen on the Fronts' blue line. If anything, guys like Tessier, Hutchinson, and Steele look better out there than Alex does.

He looks shaky with the puck, his transition game (ie. outlet passes, carrying the puck) is below par, he's adding zero offensive contributions, and his defensive game is a mixture of bad positioning and not all that much physical play. It might just be a case of needing a change of scenery, but right now Alex Gudbranson isn't anywhere close to being good enough to be more than a mid to late round project pick in the NHL draft.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 08:34 AM
ohlman22

where will Draft re-entries like Francisco, Goodrow and duinick go?

ohlman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 08:37 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohlman22 View Post
Francisco = Brandon Francisco?

I doubt he will get any consideration by an NHL team.
He just doesn't have any physical play to his game.

Ward Cornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 07:30 PM
Brock
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohlman22 View Post
At this point, I wouldn't put any of those guys among the top draft re-entries.

Among 1993's, you're probably looking at a bunch that includes Zach Hall, Seth Griffith, and Alex Basso.

Among 1992's, you're looking at guys like Matt Petgrave, Michael Houser, Charles Sarault, Tanner Pearson...etc.

Old
11-03-2011, 08:31 PM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Quote:
BTW - does anyone know if he has had his surgery?
Gally had his surgery last wednesday or thursday (Oct 26/27th). I can't remember which day exactly.

dean youngblood82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 10:17 PM
TheHockeyAdvisor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
I gotta agree with Brock on this one.

Gudbranson had a decent, but not anything special, rookie season last year. He looked like he was capable of playing in the OHL, but he didn't impress beyond that; I never saw anything in his game that suggested high NHL pick to me.

He's since followed up a rather average rookie year with an absolutely horrible second season. His play this year has been so bad that it's tough to even differentiate between him and the rookie defensemen on the Fronts' blue line. If anything, guys like Tessier, Hutchinson, and Steele look better out there than Alex does.

He looks shaky with the puck, his transition game (ie. outlet passes, carrying the puck) is below par, he's adding zero offensive contributions, and his defensive game is a mixture of bad positioning and not all that much physical play. It might just be a case of needing a change of scenery, but right now Alex Gudbranson isn't anywhere close to being good enough to be more than a mid to late round project pick in the NHL draft.
I wish Alex all the best. However, he is not NHL capable like his brother, right now. It's not even close in comparison. I don't want to rag on a player, but the quote from above touches on most of it. Watching them play together last season was excellent...because you could really gauge the difference. And if you watched his brother throughout his rookie season, you'll know right away what differentiates NHL capable from future prospect.

Please keep in mind when you're posting, these kids are 17-18 at best. Barely adults, who have yet to reach their full potential. Were you the best at your current job at the age of 18? No, you were being educated & gaining experience.

The average starting age for an NHL rookie is 22. Not 18. Writing kids off because of a "bad" start to their NHL draft year, is horrible. There is pressure, sometimes they're gripping the stick a little too hard or just having momentary brain farts, it happens.

TheHockeyAdvisor* is offline   Reply With Quote