HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Daniel Alfredsson

View Poll Results: How many games does Wolski get suspended for the hit?
One 10 7.19%
2-4 63 45.32%
5+ 43 30.94%
None 23 16.55%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-30-2011, 12:20 PM
Shanny
Coming In Hot

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by peon View Post
What does no hearing mean?
it means the league is a joke right now.

Shanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 12:41 PM
Tundraman
Survivalist

Expect retribution. Maybe not the next game or the one after that but it will happen. It will probably involve more than one occurrence and it may even involve a different player on the Rangers team just so it's hard for the league to connect the dots but the fans will know.

Tundraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 12:44 PM
HankHillC3H8

Well Wolski's going to get the Heatley treatment on Nov 9th.

HankHillC3H8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 12:45 PM
Shanny
Coming In Hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankHillC3H8 View Post
Well Wolski's going to get the Heatley treatment on Nov 8.
more likely Callahan/Richards/Dubinsky/Gaborik.

Shanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 01:01 PM
The Expert
Registered Expert

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 01:16 PM
CanadianHockey
On the Alfie Wagon

vCash: 2391
Am I the only one who agrees with the league on this one?
This play is almost the same as Neil on Grabo and I'll stick to what I said then, 2 min minor tops.

10-30-2011, 01:52 PM
Micklebot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
This play is almost the same as Neil on Grabo and I'll stick to what I said then, 2 min minor tops.
Well, it was called as a hit to the head, so 2 mins isn't supposed to be an option from the looks of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe
Rule 48 - Illegal Check to the Head

48.1 Illegal Check to the Head – A lateral or blind side hit to an opponent where the head is targeted and/or the principal point of contact is not permitted.

48.2 Minor Penalty - There is no provision for a minor penalty for this rule.

48.3 Major Penalty - For a violation of this rule, a major penalty shall be assessed (see 48.4).

48.4 Game Misconduct – An automatic game misconduct penalty shall be assessed whenever a major penalty is assessed under this rule.

48.5 Match Penalty - The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a match penalty if, in his judgment, the player attempted to or deliberately injured his opponent with an illegal check to the head.

Last edited by Micklebot: 10-30-2011 at 01:57 PM.
Micklebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 02:08 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micklebot View Post
Well, it was called as a hit to the head, so 2 mins isn't supposed to be an option from the looks of it.

Rule 48 - Illegal Check to the Head

48.1 Illegal Check to the Head A lateral or blind side hit to an opponent where the head is targeted and/or the principal point of contact is not permitted.

48.2 Minor Penalty - There is no provision for a minor penalty for this rule.

48.3 Major Penalty - For a violation of this rule, a major penalty shall be assessed (see 48.4).

48.4 Game Misconduct An automatic game misconduct penalty shall be assessed whenever a major penalty is assessed under this rule.

48.5 Match Penalty - The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a match penalty if, in his judgment, the player attempted to or deliberately injured his opponent with an illegal check to the head.
I copied the same info from the web after checking a number of links, however after further investigation, I found that both Rule 41 & 48 were changed at the Board of Governor's meeting in June of this year.

New Wording of Rule 41 Boarding

41.1 Boarding - A boarding penalty shall be imposed on any player who checks or pushes a defenseless opponent in such a manner that causes the opponent to hit or impact the boards violently or dangerously. The severity of the penalty, based upon the impact with the boards, shall be at the discretion of the Referee.

There is an enormous amount of judgment involved in the application of this rule by the referees. The onus is on the player applying the check to ensure his opponent is not in a defenseless position and if so, he must avoid or minimize contact. However, in determining whether such contact could have been avoided, the circumstances of the check, including whether the opponent put himself in vulnerable position immediately prior to or simultaneously with the check or whether the check was unavoidable can be considered. This balance must be considered by the referees when applying this rule.

Any unnecessary contact with a player playing the puck on an obvious "icing" or "off-side" play which results in that player hitting or impacting the boards is "boarding" and must be penalized as such. In other instances where there is no contact with the boards, it should be treated as "charging."

New Wording of Rule 48 - Illegal Check to the Head

48.1 Illegal Check To The Head A hit resulting in contact with an opponent's head where the head is targeted and the principal point of contact is not permitted. However, in determining whether such a hit should have been permitted, the circumstances of the hit, including whether the opponent put himself in a vulnerable position immediately prior to or simultaneously with the hit or the head contact on an otherwise legal body check was unavoidable, can be considered.

48.2 Minor Penalty For violation of this rule, a minor penalty shall be assessed.

48.3 Major Penalty There is no provision for a major penalty for this rule.

48.4 Game Misconduct There is no provision for a game misconduct for this rule.

48.5 Match Penalty The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a match penalty if, in his judgment, the player attempted to or deliberately injured his opponent with an illegal check to the head.

If deemed appropriate, supplementary discipline can be applied by the Commissioner at his discretion.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 02:09 PM
Wham City

Quote:
I don't agree with the league, but if Shanahan's being consistent I don't see how he can mete out punishment to Wolski and not Neil.

in fact have they ever suspended for one of these "Steckel on Crosby" type picks?

Wham City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 02:26 PM
Micklebot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
I copied the same info from the web after checking a number of links, however after further investigation, I found that both Rule 41 & 48 were changed at the Board of Governor's meeting in June of this year.

New Wording of Rule 41 Boarding

41.1 Boarding - A boarding penalty shall be imposed on any player who checks or pushes a defenseless opponent in such a manner that causes the opponent to hit or impact the boards violently or dangerously. The severity of the penalty, based upon the impact with the boards, shall be at the discretion of the Referee.

There is an enormous amount of judgment involved in the application of this rule by the referees. The onus is on the player applying the check to ensure his opponent is not in a defenseless position and if so, he must avoid or minimize contact. However, in determining whether such contact could have been avoided, the circumstances of the check, including whether the opponent put himself in vulnerable position immediately prior to or simultaneously with the check or whether the check was unavoidable can be considered. This balance must be considered by the referees when applying this rule.

Any unnecessary contact with a player playing the puck on an obvious "icing" or "off-side" play which results in that player hitting or impacting the boards is "boarding" and must be penalized as such. In other instances where there is no contact with the boards, it should be treated as "charging."

New Wording of Rule 48 - Illegal Check to the Head

48.1 Illegal Check To The Head A hit resulting in contact with an opponent's head where the head is targeted and the principal point of contact is not permitted. However, in determining whether such a hit should have been permitted, the circumstances of the hit, including whether the opponent put himself in a vulnerable position immediately prior to or simultaneously with the hit or the head contact on an otherwise legal body check was unavoidable, can be considered.

48.2 Minor Penalty For violation of this rule, a minor penalty shall be assessed.

48.3 Major Penalty There is no provision for a major penalty for this rule.

48.4 Game Misconduct There is no provision for a game misconduct for this rule.

48.5 Match Penalty The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a match penalty if, in his judgment, the player attempted to or deliberately injured his opponent with an illegal check to the head.

If deemed appropriate, supplementary discipline can be applied by the Commissioner at his discretion.
wow, surprised they changed it from a major only, to a minor only. Must be an attempt to make sure the refs aren't afraid to call it.

Still can't see why they wouldn't keep the option for a major though.

Micklebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 06:32 PM
Northern Neighbour

Quote:
I see the similarities. I agree that the hit was not malicious nor was there any intent to injure. It was an unfortunate play. I hope Alfie makes a speedy recovery.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 08:19 PM
exv91

Nov 9th Wolski will know the meaning of "payback's a b****". Neiler should make sure of that.

exv91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 08:56 PM
Yelnats Puc
Brust 'em up!

Yeah! We'll give him the Mark Bell treatment and...

Wait, what did we do to Bell again?

Yelnats Puc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 09:12 PM
CanadianHockey
On the Alfie Wagon

vCash: 2391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
Yeah it changed, unfortunately NHL.com hasn't updated it (last I checked, at least). I think the 2 min change was to give refs flexibility. You can call it 2 mins, you can give it 2 + a 5 min intent to injure + 10 minute misconduct.

CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 10:39 AM
Senasnore

Not surprised Shanny fails to suspend - he's always hated the Sens - remember him laughing at the Sens riding the bikes after games and giving interviews...the guy is biased....it's a joke.

Senasnore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 10:42 AM
Indy on the Road
Still near and dear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelnats Puc View Post

That was his second last game in the NHL. Not much you can do!

Indy on the Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 10:47 AM
slamigo
Skate or Die!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelnats Puc View Post

Banned him to Switzerland for a couple years...

slamigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 11:01 AM
Ghost in the Shell
#WeLikeOurKarlssons

vCash: 920
On to IR....

Ghost in the Shell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 11:08 AM
Karl Cowensson
Two Headed Monster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senasnore View Post
Not surprised Shanny fails to suspend - he's always hated the Sens - remember him laughing at the Sens riding the bikes after games and giving interviews...the guy is biased....it's a joke.
I like how Shanny's been handling it, much more consistent and he did his best to explain and justify the decision. It's an arbitrary judgment call though, so it's never going to be 100% agreeable to everyone.

That being said I thought the same thing. Shanny hasn't been out of the league that long and he's only human, wouldn't be surprised to see some biased towards teams and players. Not that I think this applies in this case.

Karl Cowensson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 12:03 PM
Lenny the Lynx

I've decided that I don't give a **** if Wojtek Wolski is suspended or not.

Does anyone know what's going on with Alfie? Is it a concussion for sure?

Lenny the Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 12:14 PM
Probert24
Rookie User

Shanahan is ruining the NHL, what a tool..its sad becuase he was one of my favourite players, i never expected this bull from him..

this hit is whats wrong with the game, the puts his elbow into alfies head and even stepped into, but no suspension... but we suspend big hits for ridiculous amount of games..i pray shanny is gone before he ruins the NHL

Probert24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 12:27 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

So, officials can't call a 5 min penalty on one of these illegal checks to the head? I actually didn't know that. Its still a bad call given that if the ref had just called this an elbow or interference (which it was both of on top of being a head shot) it would have been 5. The Sens get severely bent over on that call given what happened with Konopka and Anisimov earlier in the game.

This is actually very frustrating. I didn't really care about a suspension or not but I expected something after the officials screwed up the call on the ice.

FolignoQuantumLeap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 12:30 PM
armani
Guy Likes

vCash: 50
Not a bit surprised at this. Alfie comes across as cocky to other teams and players, despite his rep in the local community and the Sens organization. I knew Shanahan would not even address it. I don't see how this "incidental contact" is different from Steckel's hit on Crosby.

armani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 12:35 PM
Max Power

The fact that there's no repercussions from the league on this is suspect to say the least. This whole outrage on head shots hit it's peak with the Crosby situation. Yet a hit almost identical on the longest serving captain in the league, goes unaddressed by the league with no explanation.

I don't care if there's no suspension just please give me some consistency and accountability for the decisions

Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 12:38 PM
Do Make Say Think

vCash: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Probert24 View Post
Shanahan is ruining the NHL, what a tool..its sad becuase he was one of my favourite players, i never expected this bull from him..

this hit is whats wrong with the game, the puts his elbow into alfies head and even stepped into, but no suspension... but we suspend big hits for ridiculous amount of games..i pray shanny is gone before he ruins the NHL
No they suspend illegal hits severly becvause they want to get the point across that some of this stuff needs to stop.
This is an ongoing process, it's still new and will adapt to player's behaviours. I agree that Wolski viciously took advantage of Alfredsson skating into him (let's be honest, Alfie definitely initiated contact and wasn't looking where he was going) but there's nothing in the rules that allow Shanahan to do something about it: it isn't Shanahan's failure.

Do Make Say Think is online now   Reply With Quote