HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will Jessiman win the Hobey Baker Trophy?

Closed Thread

Old
09-02-2004, 04:48 PM
free0717

vCash: 500
Will Jessiman win the Hobey Baker Trophy?

Now that Hugh has decided to stay at Dartmouth, What do you think of his chances are of winning the Hobey Baker Trophy? He worked out at the Ranger Practice Facility all summer and went to development camp for 3 weeks.

Old
09-02-2004, 07:01 PM
Edge

Consider me someone who could care less about the HB award.

There are some marginal names who won because the college game suited their game a lot better and some great kids who came out of college and never won.

The HB to me is merely a side note to measuring success.

What I want is a consistent, high scoring season from Hugh. The HB will almost certainly go to a player who never makes an NHL impact anyway.

Old
09-02-2004, 08:07 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
The HB will almost certainly go to a player who never makes an NHL impact anyway.
Don't tell that to Neal Broten, Paul Kariya, Chris Drury, Brendan Morrison or Jordan Leopold.

Old
09-02-2004, 08:50 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick
Don't tell that to Neal Broten, Paul Kariya, Chris Drury, Brendan Morrison or Jordan Leopold.
Yeah but I'll be sure to tell it to Brian Bonin, Robb Stauber, Mike Mottau, Scott and Mark Fusco, Jason Krog, Chris Marinucci, David Emma, Lance McDonald, Tom Kurvers, Kip Miller, Tony Hrkac and Bill Watson along with probably another 50 finalists.

As for the others the only star within that group is Kariya and maybe Broten {though I wouldn't have considered him a star}. Drury is a nice 25 goal, 55 point player, Morrison is ideally a solid second line center who happens to benefit from the team he plays on and Leopold is a solid young defenseman but IMO one who isn't quite an elite one and that's assuming his career stays on track.

For what it's worth I often view it as similar to the WJC's in that you often see a lot of names who never won the honor outplaying those who did.

Old
09-03-2004, 04:57 AM
pld459666

with a deeper pool of talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717
Now that Hugh has decided to stay at Dartmouth, What do you think of his chances are of winning the Hobey Baker Trophy? He worked out at the Ranger Practice Facility all summer and went to development camp for 3 weeks.
in Dartmouth this year it's slightly possible, but I think very unlikely unless he has a monster year, and I'm talking 55+ points. Kind of like Vanek in Minnesota.

But even then I don't think that he will be the best player in College this year coming.

Old
09-03-2004, 05:16 AM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

As pld459666 points out, Jessiman will need to have a very good season to even make the "Hobey Hat-Trick". There is alot of very good players around the league this coming season and just because Zach Parise, Yann Danis and Junior Lessard aren't in the NCAA anymore, doesn't mean the Hobey candidates list has gotten any shorter. Furthermore, Jessiman has competition on his team, namely from Lee Stempniak (a Blues prospect). Stempniak has been more consistent in his overall play in the last two seasons at Dartmouth than Jessiman has. Stempniak also made All-American last season, something Jessiman did not do. This is not to say that Jessiman can't or won't have a phenomenal season in 04-05, because he is certainly capable of doing so, just don't expect him to be a shoe-in (right now) for the Hobey Baker. If he has a very good season, he'll (at the very least) almost certainly get Hobey consideration.

Old
09-03-2004, 03:11 PM
L.I.RangerFan

Vanek turns pro

Vanek turns pro, so he is now out of the running

http://www.gophersports.com/sportsNe...sport_id=mhock

Old
09-03-2004, 03:22 PM
melisa

Jessiman seems to be more suited to play a pro game where there is more physical play and corner work. Plus he doesn't have much help in Dartmouth. I suspect he will be around 42 points. Then we can read Brooks telling us how stupid we were for picking him.

Old
09-03-2004, 03:28 PM
barnaby63

Quote:
Originally Posted by melisa
Jessiman seems to be more suited to play a pro game where there is more physical play and corner work. Plus he doesn't have much help in Dartmouth. I suspect he will be around 42 points. Then we can read Brooks telling us how stupid we were for picking him.
That actually isnt horrible for college scoring.

If Jessiman gets anywhere from 45+ points I will be happy. As long as he is consistent and plays a little more physical.

Old
09-03-2004, 03:30 PM
melisa

I would be happy as well if he got 45 points. I don't think he can do much else on that team. I'll be watching Walsh, Crabb and Roche more then Jessiman. All three of those had pretty good years considering they weren't senior college players.

Old
09-03-2004, 04:08 PM
pld459666

that's not the point

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.I.RangerFan
Vanek turns pro, so he is now out of the running

http://www.gophersports.com/sportsNe...sport_id=mhock
I stated that he would have to have Vanek like numbers to get consideration.

That's 25-30 goals and 25-30 assists

for anywhere between 50-60 points. Otherwise the Hobey is a pipe dream.

Old
09-03-2004, 04:16 PM
L.I.RangerFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666
I stated that he would have to have Vanek like numbers to get consideration.

That's 25-30 goals and 25-30 assists

for anywhere between 50-60 points. Otherwise the Hobey is a pipe dream.
Oh I agree PLD, I just didn't feel like starting a new thread for this as this one was appropriate.

Wasn't disagreeing with you at all.

Old
09-04-2004, 12:45 PM
MontanaTrout

He is going to be very disappointed with anything less. Trust me. Dartmouth is the big favorite out of that conference now and Hugh has big ambitions. This summer has been incredible for him. A man among boys. Can't wait for season to start.

Old
09-04-2004, 04:42 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaTrout
He is going to be very disappointed with anything less. Trust me. Dartmouth is the big favorite out of that conference now and Hugh has big ambitions. This summer has been incredible for him. A man among boys. Can't wait for season to start.
While I think Dartmouth will bring a lot to the table this season, I don't completely agree with them being the "big favorite" out of the ECAC. Brown has an outstanding freshman class coming in this fall. If they can get some solid goaltending (whoever is expected to win the starting job since Yann Danis is gone), they will definitely be amongst the favorites. Then there's Cornell and Harvard, who are always a threat.

Speaking of Harvard, Rangers fans....one player to keep an eye on, Dylan Reese. He's one of YOUR team's prospects and an outstanding one. Had injury issues last season that kept out of the WJC, but he'll be healthy and barring further injuries, I expect him to have a terrific season in 04-05.

Old
09-04-2004, 05:45 PM
pld459666

my bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.I.RangerFan
Oh I agree PLD, I just didn't feel like starting a new thread for this as this one was appropriate.

Wasn't disagreeing with you at all.

Closed Thread