HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs school bruins again!

Old
10-30-2011, 12:53 AM
Player 61
#Winning

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
also, dunno if anyone posted this, but way to go ESPN.

Not a fan of Murphy lately, Nice to see an Expos symbol up again though...(sigh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Sorry but if you end up thinking like a GM or an owner or whatever, there's just as much pressure for any of the 30 GM's than there is for Gauthier. There's not a lot of GM's and coaches that don't lose their job just because they are elsewhere than Montreal. I mean, there are teams who are losing money. Pretty sure the owner would appreciate to see that stop. There are a lot of empty buildings etc. There might not be as many journalists and fans but the pressure if elsewhere. Again, I keep hearing the incredible pressure the organization has, that it's wrongfully been compared to the past editions of the Habs, that there's never been more than 7 years without a Stanley Cup and yet now....it's 18 years and counting. Since 2003, Gainey and Co, which includes Gauthier, have been in charge of this team. They have improved it, also thanks to André Savard from the incredibly bad Réjean Houle era. But there's still no Cup to show for, and not even a Finals. We have had along the way 1 3rd round....but a few 1st and 2nd as well.

Yes, those players helped. Incredible though that we can say that without Moore, there's no incredible race....yet when I suggest it was mostly Halak, people keep telling me it was a team effort? So it was more Moore than Halak? Come on. He did play a role. Halak played a bigger one. And we never know, if it's not Moore, maybe it could have been somebody else for a 3rd or a 4th. Nokelainen could play an interesting role, different but still interesting and solid.... and we had him for Trotter and a 7th.

Destroying the pool? No. Though, don't look but as of now, our most brillant prospects, aside from Leblanc, are NOT in Hamilton. So there's a gap here that in need of a callup, as much as I like him, it's Engqvist and Palushaj. Nobody else. And you can give 2nd rounders if you want to.....but there are NO reasons why a guy you think was incredible and a must on a playoff run, will not be there for 1 or 2 more seasons. Boston gave a 2nd rounder for Kelly....the guy is still there. And it's not about the money. You could argue that we could not have made an offer to Wiz based on the fact that he did so good with us that he got the jackpot we couldn't give him. We could argue back and forth but I could give you that one to make you happy.

Yeah, I realize that once you clinch everything can happen. Which does not give you the right to trade your 1st and 2nd every year ( I know, that's not what he's doing) 'cause only the present exist. You will need those picks at one point to be the present of your future. 'Cause you might not be able to buy a core like we did when Gainey decided to "retool". And 2nd rounders are important. Look at every draft, this is not round 4 and up. My point would be that if I HAVE to trade a high pick, I have to make sure the guy will play a significant role. And if he does, I'll make sure he's back on my team.

Mind you, I already had admitted that draft day is also Christmas for me. So it makes my day not as fun as when we have tons of picks in there. So it is for a selfish point of view. Love following the prospects and the draft and all that stuff just like I love following the actual games. And sometimes, a little more. Yet, I don't think having picks is also detrimental to your team. And especially not after a whole lot of bashing, including some from me, you have a guy like Timmins who seems to be more brillant as the rounds progresses......
Whoa..Snake, we've been doing beers all game. But I will read this entire post tomorrow. Keep them short after Midnight. ;-)

About a dozen posters here that I read everything, your on that list.

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 12:58 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs23 View Post
Not a fan of Murphy lately, Nice to see an Expos symbol up again though...(sigh)
Makes me more sad than anything.....

We could be there winning the division of just the best 2nd place. We could be there! Can any freakin big shot do something and get this team back here? Please?

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 12:59 AM
pine*

If only I were a billionaire with lots of money to throw around... I know what I'd do.

pine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 01:03 AM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Quote:

We could be there winning the division of just the best 2nd place. We could be there! Can any freakin big shot do something and get this team back here? Please?
All these Sports stations online now in Canada when Brochu said nobody cared. No vision, we'd be hiring Francona right now & playing money ball, like Tampa & Oakland. One Day we will again.....

and money ball gives hope, it's been working for Tampa...hopefully our future team.

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 01:09 AM
Bloumeister
Food Court Jester

Quote:

So frustrating to see deep pockets and government wanting to get involved in buying the Habs (before Molson got them) and bringing the NHL back to Québec City. Where were you when Loria came to town?

Bloumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 01:33 AM
Stradale

Weber aka. LJV is +6 in 10 games. That put him 7th in the league. Wow!

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 01:38 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Habs got the benefactor of some sketchy calls early on and didn't really capitalize on them. Had the Bruins been on their game, the habs would have lost. Fortunately, the bruins are still struggling.

Analyzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 01:42 AM
M.C.G. 31

vCash: 2136
And we are out of the funk. Three straight wins and this team looks as comfortable as I've seen them play in a while. Loving this. Let's continue this streak! 2 points out of a playoff spot.

M.C.G. 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 01:46 AM
compile
Give me Scotch!

vCash: 483
Send a message via Skype™ to compile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
So glad Eller finally potted one. Horrible giveaway, and he still takes too long to make decisions when he gets the puck, but hopefully this goal will inspire him to finish better.
Really wasn't his fault. That was blatant hooking. I dont know why in the hell it wasn't called. They gave the Bruins a goal IMHO.

Old
10-30-2011, 01:47 AM
Bloumeister
Food Court Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Habs got the benefactor of some sketchy calls early on and didn't really capitalize on them. Had the Bruins been on their game, the habs would have lost. Fortunately, the bruins are still struggling.
Yeah, I know, I wish I had one of these too...

Bloumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 02:53 AM
dutchy29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born in 1909 View Post
Hab resurgence has happened with:

1. more active assistant coaching since Pearn let go
2. Spacek returning to stabilize the D
3. Cole waking up
4. Acquisition of Nokelainen
5. injury to Gomez
No joke, buy him out, or any other feasible option that keeps him out of the dressing room.

dutchy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 03:06 AM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born in 1909 View Post
Hab resurgence has happened with:

1. more active assistant coaching since Pearn let go
2. Spacek returning to stabilize the D
3. Cole waking up
4. Acquisition of Nokelainen
5. injury to Gomez
You missed the biggest one: 2-man forecheck. That's enabled us to keep the peddle to the metal.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 03:09 AM
dutchy29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
So, we win...and everyone turns to talk smack about Gomez?

I don't get it.

Great ****ing game tonight. So glad to see we're playing more aggressively, and that the PP is finally looking dangerous.
Well cause a lot of people are thinking ahead, we seem to have achieved some real chemistry here the past 3 games, one of the obvious changes is the injury to Gomez. I mean I could see how this guy could be a distraction to any player looking to break into the league, win games, play a system, work hard.....I mean GOmez doesn't do any of these things, then he laughs and jokes about how bad he is, easy for him, hes got a ring, and hes a millionaire. This reminds me a lot of the Briesbois contract, except at least Briesbois had won a cup with the habs and had paid his dues, Gomez has been a complete bust, punching bag or not, if he doesn't contribute he should be gone.

dutchy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 03:10 AM
Poulet Kostopoulos

Didn't watch the game, just the news highlights.

Did Ruins start to dive (producing a 5-on-3 for instance) once they found themselves trailing by several goals?

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 03:14 AM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Great game by the Habs.

Not enough love for Desharnais in this thread (granted, I didn't read all of it).

Eller is an amazing player. Unfortunate turnover in the 2nd though.

I'm SO happy the Bruins got called for those after-the-whistle punches (mister glove defect) and frustration slashes (Lucic). I wish the NHL would enfore these kinds of play more often. Intimidation is one thing, but if you are going to play that game, it shouldn't be without consequences.

Rask made a good play on the breakaway, but still... Shouldn't this be tripping penalty or something? He didn't even try to play the puck, he just charged the player. It's a lame way, although smart, to do it. I just think this shouldn't fly under the radar. Good for him for stopping the breakaway, but it shouldn't come without a cost.

Weber played great. I wish Spacek would get more respect, he had a good game once again. He's a nice, stabilizing presence on the blue line.

It's too bad Emelin is out of the line-up.

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 04:26 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

"school" the bruins?

good win, good team play but hardlu "schooling" anybody, had any of those 2-3 shots that hit the post went in, we'd be looking at a very different game.

i'll chuck it to karma equalizing itself after ****ing us over at the beginning of the season

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 07:06 AM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenRetina View Post
Really wasn't his fault. That was blatant hooking. I dont know why in the hell it wasn't called. They gave the Bruins a goal IMHO.
You shouldn't carry the puck up the middle of the ice when you have a guy behind you and two to either side about ten feet in front. He was basically asking for it to be turned over. Pass it to a teammate or dump it out to one.

He was great otherwise though.

chaosrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 07:27 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Hum hum, thank you.

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 07:54 AM
jonas2244

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
Weber aka. LJV is +6 in 10 games. That put him 7th in the league. Wow!
And 5pts, last year he had 11 pts in 41 games.

jonas2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 08:51 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Don't discount those 3 wins. You're judging by which team is or is not hot at the moment. it'll probably be a different scene in April and getting 6 points from the Flyers and Bruins is truly valuable both in the standings and for morale. If you'll recall, last season the Habs won the first time they faced the Flyers but proceeded to lose the next 3. Similarly, the Habs lost 2 games to the Bruins (I believe the scores were 15-6 and 7-0). Now the Bruins can't pick up more than 8 points on the Habs in head-to-head games. Winning the season's series against a particular opponent can also serve as a tie breaker.
I didn't wanted to diminish the value of our wins. I was merely stating to the people who claimed that the past 3 games are vindicating both Eller and DD as NHL grade centers that, as far as we know, the opposition had been a tad easy. Before vindicating these two guys, we need something more solid to send them against.

Something like the Sens...

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 09:13 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Solid game overall. Got to thank Carey, his posts and Josh Gorges a lot for keeping the team in this. I hope these 5 days off will allow the bumps and bruises to heal. With any luck we'll see Markov practicing with the team this week.

beowulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 09:33 AM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
"school" the bruins?

good win, good team play but hardlu "schooling" anybody, had any of those 2-3 shots that hit the post went in, we'd be looking at a very different game.

i'll chuck it to karma equalizing itself after ****ing us over at the beginning of the season
Dead on.

I was lucky enough to be at the last two home games (not really relevant, but I'm just throwin' that in for bragging rights!) and loved watching us click on passes and faceoffs, plus the much cleaner transitions from our D. But really, it didn't look much different than four or five of our previous losses, except that suddenly the pucks are moving an inch this way in OUR favour.

So much depends on our defensive system -- with it, strong offense and goaltending happen; without it, we're screwed. Spacek is more valuable than people often give him credit for. And Diaz is there because he's a very smart, very quick learner.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 09:57 AM
RC51

Quote:
"school" the bruins?

Each team had some very good chances, the Bruins hit a few posts but wait a sec. it's sure is not fair to say " if the Bruins had scored on those posts" but then you don't give the Habs any extra goals for their great chances that did not end up in a goal then you sure are looking at this as a homer.
The Bruins lost this game in the penalty box.
Stupid stupid penalties which took the wind right out of the sails each time.
Last year the Bruins would Hit anything that moved, they drove right into the opposing defence right into the backboards at every chance. They called it Bruins hockey and or just a strong hockey play.
Well guess what, this year you get a 10 game suspension for exactly that. I did NOT see the Bruins do that last night and what happened. The Habs young defence had time to make the outlet pass and the Bruins looked very slow at times. The Habs ended up with a lot of 2 on 1 and 3 on 2 chances. Add to this the fact that the refs caught the Bruins at their famous intimidation tactics but this year called them on it. ( See Subban getting punched in the mouth ) Last year as long as you had a glove on you could SMASH anybody you wanted for free ( Bruins Hockey all year and the playoffs). Well this year it seems the refs had a meeting with Shanahan and Penalties were called.
The Bruins and looked very frustrated when they could NOT play Bruins Hockey a finally got called on these long standing infractions called " Strong Hockey Plays" like the one on Max that nearly ended his life last year.
If Shanahan keeps it up, I don't see how the Bruins will even make the playoffs.

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 10:08 AM
Habskrieg

Quote:
"school" the bruins?

Ah the good ol' "if those post had gone in" argument. You could also say, a bit further and those pucks don't hit anything on the net, or Price makes the save... We've had those games with plenty of posts too. Deal with it.

Habskrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 10:09 AM
Bill McNeal

Their whining is in mid-season form.

habsinsideout1 Dave Stubbs
#Bruins Marchand on Lucic slash of #Habs Subban: “I’ve never seen a guy go down so quick with a little love tap.’’

Never seen a team whine so much to the media in my life. They treat a microphone like it was a therapist's couch. It explains a lot about their mindset and that of their fans, though.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote