HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

getting into coaching youth hockey

Old
11-28-2011, 10:28 AM
jacko23
KCCO!

vCash: 500
getting into coaching youth hockey

how do you do it? im gonna have a little free time soon and id like to get into coaching a kids hockey team. not necessarily a head coach, but basically an assistant for a little while and maybe head coach a few years or so down the line. is it something i apply for or just talk to the head coach saying you would like to help?

jacko23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 11:19 AM
opivy
Sauce King

Send a message via AIM to opivy Send a message via MSN to opivy Send a message via Yahoo to opivy
You will have to attend USA Hockey and pay around 90 dollars. It is probably too late this year but you may be able to sneak it in.

It is expensive and you have to re-up certs every year to the tune of 90 dollars. Personally I believe USA hockey to be a great benefit to players and a total racket to parents and coaches who are already volunteering their time and money.

Hopefully your local rink / league pays back your fees, mine did not and as you can see it has left a bitter taste in my mouth. The coaching clinics are 90% bureaucratic and 10% learning to coach.

opivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 11:34 AM
Cowbell232

The best thing you can do is find your local youth clubs and offer your time. Be involved with the programs at the rink and make yourself known to be a good person, who shows up when asked, and goes above and beyond.

The USA Hockey certs aren't usually an immediate requirement.

Old
11-28-2011, 12:08 PM
jacko23
KCCO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowbell232 View Post
The best thing you can do is find your local youth clubs and offer your time. Be involved with the programs at the rink and make yourself known to be a good person, who shows up when asked, and goes above and beyond.

I wasnt thinking it was an immediate requirement as i was reading it. No offense to the guy above that mentioned it, but that seems to be how you get on the track of coaching teams that are the first step in kids professional dreams. I wanna coach a league where its basically just for fun. Like in the vein of signing your kids up to play soccer. Kids/parents get to know each other learn teamwork yada yada. If my son wants to play more serious when he gets older, cool. But hes only 5 now.

jacko23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 12:28 PM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowbell232 View Post
Just a heads up, if the local rink has any affiliation with USA Hockey, unless you have a background check and USA affiliation of some type, they aren't supposed to allow you to work with the kids. I let my reffing certification expire last year and without USA Hockey Risk Assessment I couldn't work games even though I can officiate highschool sports and have gone through a true background check.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 01:55 PM
Stickmata

Talk to your local league. You will need to join USA Hockey if you're not already a member, but you don't necessarily have to get "certified" if you are only coaching in-house teams. Check with the local rules. Certification doesn't hurt though. They also have on-line, level specific education that might be helpful to you. The best coaches in our in-house PeeWee league are not certified, and if they only took certified coaches, they wouldn't have enough coaches for the league.

Obviously, if you don't have experience playing or coaching the game at any level, you might want/need more education.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 10:45 PM
opivy
Sauce King

Send a message via AIM to opivy Send a message via MSN to opivy Send a message via Yahoo to opivy
You have to have level 1 credentials to be a head coach house or otherwise. I am not sure about certification for an assistant but I don't believe you have to have it. If the rink us affiliated though each team has to have a USA certified coach on the ice for any game or practice that is being run by the team for liability purposes. (They claim)

opivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 07:08 AM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by opivy View Post
You have to have level 1 credentials to be a head coach house or otherwise. I am not sure about certification for an assistant but I don't believe you have to have it. If the rink us affiliated though each team has to have a USA certified coach on the ice for any game or practice that is being run by the team for liability purposes. (They claim)
The liability issue comes from the background check, not really the coaching cert. In case you live in a cave and happened to miss the stuff going on at Penn St. and Syracuse, do you really think leagues are going to stick their neck out for coaches that haven't been cleared by USA Hockey's background check? Would you want your kid being coached by some guy that just shows up, no credentials, no coaching experience, but "just wants to work with kids"? Parents and leagues won't be too willing to risk their kids to a coach with no background check, neither will USA Hockey.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 12:02 PM
Stickmata

Quote:
Originally Posted by opivy View Post
This is not true. I coach in-house in one of the largest USA Hockey youth leagues in the country and you do not need level 1 certification for in-house. They strongly encourage it, particularly for the coaches who have not played much hockey themselves, but you don't need it. You do need it for travel and you do need to pass a background check for either.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 01:53 PM
Jive Time

I would go in and talk to the Hockey Director.

Our rink won't let you set one foot on the ice without a background check, references and and their brand of online training. Your experience will count and the USA Hockey online-modules will help familiarize you with the whole ADM, Red White and Blue initiatives.

The other thing to consider is that if you are looking into helping out with the littles (minis, mites, etc) there are generally lots of parents who are in line to help out on the ice. Sometimes it can get a bit crowded but we all want the same thing and that is to participate in our child's development.

Jive Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 08:06 PM
beth

Jacko, around here it seems to be fairly easy to get into coaching when you have a kid playing. Just talk to the director of the youth program in your area or to whoever is your kid's coach. I'd check the USA Hockey website to see if they have any remaining lvl1 clinics left in your area and just sign up while you still can. Otherwise you might have to wait until next season.

Coaching the little ones is super fun. It's a little tricky to coach your own kid, though, you need to tread carefully.

beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 08:55 PM
fightincolts

Just make sure your first name isnt Jerry, and your last name isn't Sandusky.

fightincolts is offline   Reply With Quote