HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Edmonton Eskimos 2011 Part 4

Closed Thread

Old
11-04-2011, 10:45 PM
ChokeOnOil
i hate my team

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Even if they win I'm still sad. This is absolutely unacceptable.
Man, we didn't even think we'd have a winning record. This is all positive.

Old
11-04-2011, 10:45 PM
Klaus*

Without Bowman we probably get shut out tonight. Pathetic.

Defense better hold.

Old
11-04-2011, 10:46 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it

And that was a ridiculous end to a ridiculous game.

Old
11-04-2011, 10:46 PM
awesomo
HARD!

lol sask is pretty pathetic

Old
11-04-2011, 10:47 PM
GreatKeith

vCash: 50
Ahhh, I hate to see that happen to Tristan Jackson. But I'm glad we won. Still was too close though....

Old
11-04-2011, 10:48 PM
ChokeOnOil
i hate my team

A win is a win is a win is a win.

Old
11-04-2011, 11:08 PM
ales83fan

Solid win. Didn't expect playoffs from this squad. AnyThing from now on is a huge bonus.

Old
11-04-2011, 11:15 PM
The Smytty Clapper

Kavis Reed is bad*** and brings a better quality swagger than any ****** Blue Bomber.

This will be my first playoff game! Leggo!

Old
11-04-2011, 11:50 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

I'll take the win.

But outside of Bowman another absolutely pathetic performance by the offense.

But as usual I read through the posts here and people blaming the D for choking.

I don't get it.

Its bloody disgusting that when your D has stopped the opponent for 50mins, and only allowed 10pts all night to that point, that that opponent is still in the game.

20pts in the CFL should rarely result in a potential win. The Eskimos offense are making a habit of forcing the D to play great every game just to keep them in it.

What happens if the D plays an average game tonight and Saskatchewan puts up say 25pts. We lose.

This **** ain't good enough for the playoffs.

People fail to note as well that this D is almost entirely made up of new players here. Contrast that with an offense that has an ample amound of returning star veterans.

Which side of the ball has failed to live up to its billing?

Old
11-04-2011, 11:58 PM
Auguste Escoffier

311,629 fans watched the Eskimos at home this year, for an average of 34,625 per game. That is good in terms of the CFL, but is it "Edmonton" good?

I am sure glad Schiavone was dressed for the game. Who knows if we win this game without his leg.

Old
11-05-2011, 12:07 AM
Klaus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

Actually, I suppose it's interesting. I was on Ray again tonight, looking at his performance without a predetermined bias (just bugging ya) and it's interesting to note that even though he hasn't been good enough in the last two weeks he's still thrown for 300+ yards in each game.

Yes Bowman deserves almost all the credit, but at the same time.. Ray made some wonderful throws to him.

Quote:
But as usual I read through the posts here and people blaming the D for choking.

I don't get it.
I'll help. Did you see the yards Clermont and Cates racked up all night long? The defense was far from good tonight during large portions of the game.

Quote:
Its bloody disgusting that when your D has stopped the opponent for 50mins, and only allowed 10pts all night to that point, that that opponent is still in the game.
Where are you getting this TOP stat from? 50 minutes? Uh... may want to re-check that. The D didn't stop anything for 30 minutes tonight, let alone 50.

Quote:
20pts in the CFL should rarely result in a potential win. The Eskimos offense are making a habit of forcing the D to play great every game just to keep them in it.

What happens if the D plays an average game tonight and Saskatchewan puts up say 25pts. We lose.
In my opinion, I agree w/ 20 pts not being enough. That said, the defense has been below average for basically 5 of the previous 9 quarters.

Not good enough.

Quote:

People fail to note as well that this D is almost entirely made up of new players here. Contrast that with an offense that has an ample amound of returning star veterans.

Over the past couple of weeks? I think the offense and defense shares equal blame. Kavis Reed and Marcus Crandell.... them too. I'm at a loss with some of their ridiculous decisions and play calling. It drives me up the wall.

Old
11-05-2011, 12:11 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Quote:
I'll take the win.

I don't get it.

The D did play an average game...they gave up 20 points and 300+ yards to an offense captained by a career backup. Even you can't possibly try to frame that as a solid defensive performance.

Old
11-05-2011, 12:22 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live4Dogs View Post
I'll help. Did you see the yards Clermont and Cates racked up all night long? The defense was far from good tonight during large portions of the game.
Bend but don't break is acceptable to me. If the D gives up some yds, but then shuts the door, forces a fumble gets a huge sack, or a pick its still the D making plays. Fact they gave up only 10pts over first 50mins of the game.

Conversely yds given up, or made offensively is less important than what occurs in the redzone. If you're not getting it done in the redzone the yds don't really matter.

Quote:
Where are you getting this TOP stat from? 50 minutes? Uh... may want to re-check that. The D didn't stop anything for 30 minutes tonight, let alone 50.
Where did I say anything about TOP? The D, aside from one play, was essentially pitching another shutout into the 4th quarter.

Quote:
In my opinion, I agree w/ 20 pts not being enough. That said, the defense has been below average for basically 5 of the previous 9 quarters.

Not good enough.
Agreed there on both sides of the ball.

Quote:
Over the past couple of weeks? I think the offense and defense shares equal blame. Kavis Reed and Marcus Crandell.... them too. I'm at a loss with some of their ridiculous decisions and play calling. It drives me up the wall.
Gotta say as well the Refs kept the riders in it. Really at least a few terrible calls. A couple more phantom pass interference calls. Some really curious short yds ball spots.

Old
11-05-2011, 12:23 AM
rosemount289

Similar to BC game..........

The Eskimos played similar to the BC game......slow at the start but tonite did not gave up a 14 - 0 right off the start......that's why they won.

My point is that the Defence missed the play of linebacker JC Sherrit....he is the only sure tackler on defence.

Old
11-05-2011, 12:27 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Heh, for the Eskimos sake they'd better hope that they get that bye-week because they have a lot to work on. That was an abysmal effort in all facets.

I was at the game and I froze my ass off to watch that.

Old
11-05-2011, 12:28 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

From the replay on television it looks like that last field goal was almost blocked!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvyEyezPK View Post
311,629 fans watched the Eskimos at home this year, for an average of 34,625 per game. That is good in terms of the CFL, but is it "Edmonton" good?

I am sure glad Schiavone was dressed for the game. Who knows if we win this game without his leg.
No, that's pretty crappy.

Old
11-05-2011, 12:29 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
The D did play an average game...they gave up 20 points and 300+ yards to an offense captained by a career backup. Even you can't possibly try to frame that as a solid defensive performance.
First of all agree or disagree with the following statements:

Any CFL game in which your D only gives up 10pts in the first 50mins of the game should by rights be over.

yes or no.

Any team that consistently has trouble putting up 25pts in the CFL is going to be losing its fair share of games

yes or no.

Over the last 5 GP, and heading into the playoffs an Allstar veteran offensive squad with several returning veterans is averaging 23pts/game over that stretch. Is that acceptable?

yes or no

Old
11-05-2011, 12:31 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Ryan Dinwiddie engineered the first Riders' passing TD since September 17th tonight. Yuck.

Old
11-05-2011, 12:33 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Oh God, I can't believe that Nickelback is playing the Grey Cup half-time show. Freaking embarrassing.

Might be an improvement on The Black Eyed Peas, though.

Old
11-05-2011, 12:40 AM
Klaus*

Quote:
Bend but don't break is acceptable to me. If the D gives up some yds, but then shuts the door, forces a fumble gets a huge sack, or a pick its still the D making plays. Fact they gave up only 10pts over first 50mins of the game.

Conversely yds given up, or made offensively is less important than what occurs in the redzone. If you're not getting it done in the redzone the yds don't really matter.
That's a fair assessment.

Quote:
Where did I say anything about TOP? The D, aside from one play, was essentially pitching another shutout into the 4th quarter.
Oops, I misread that. My mistake.. not sure why I thought you meant TOP.

Quote:

Gotta say as well the Refs kept the riders in it. Really at least a few terrible calls. A couple more phantom pass interference calls. Some really curious short yds ball spots.
Yeah, bang on. That offensive PI on Bowman was pure BS. I think this is three weeks in a row now where we've gotten the short end of the stick on PI calls. It's getting ridiculous. Ball spotting has always been something I've noticed CFL refs seem to struggle with a lot too... wouldn't be such a big deal if it wasn't happening multiple times a game. Eventually it's going to bite a team (probably us) in the butt... you think they'd be on top of spotting the ball immediately in any short yardage situation instead of winging it more often than not, but I digress.

I just hope that this team can get it together for the post-season. Ray and the offense need to get it going, no doubt. Hope for a Montreal win tomorrow I guess and pray that they can iron out the kinks with two weeks off.

Old
11-05-2011, 01:05 AM
Klaus*

Bowman had 228 yards tonight... should have had 260 if those weren't wrongly taken away from him. What an amazing game for him.

I knew he was over 200, but it doesn't do justice to the fact that he made some absolutely wonderful plays tonight. His 25+ yd TD catch/run was a treat to watch. Haven't seen that since Mookie and Terry Vaughn were here.

Old
11-05-2011, 01:07 AM
Spawn

So, I don't follow the CFL all too much so someone correct me if I'm wrong but tomorrow if:

BC and Calgary lose, Edmonton finishes first
If BC loses and Calgary wins, Edmonton finishes... first?
If BC wins and Calgary loses, BC finishes first?
If both BC and Calgary win... who finishes first? How does a 3-way tie work?

Old
11-05-2011, 01:10 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
So, I don't follow the CFL all too much so someone correct me if I'm wrong but tomorrow if:

If BC wins BC is first period.

The Eskimos W means they are guaranteed a home playoff date be it a bye, or semifinal.

Calgary Needed BC and Edmonton to lose to finish first.

That should simplify a lot.

Old
11-05-2011, 01:11 AM
oilers4cup
No More Koolade

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post

B.C holds all the tie breakers
Calgary Can now only get 2nd
Edmonton will be first or Second

Old
11-05-2011, 01:12 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Doesn't matter what happens with Calgary because we won the season series with them.

If BC wins, we are 2nd. If they lose, we're 1st.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Closed Thread