HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Edmonton Eskimos 2011 Part 4

Closed Thread

Old
12-12-2011, 05:33 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live4Dogs View Post
C'mon Replacement... I was a season ticket holder for 17 years up until 2007. Even then I heard from people sitting around me harping on Ray. How many of those people would I classify as knowledgeable football fans with valid complaints about Ray? Very few. Remember, this is the same fan base that also wanted Sean Fleming run out of town for years.

Football is no longer a team game? He also had four starting receivers out that game.

I told you many times that I was not absolving Ray from everything. I repeatedly said that he needed to be better and had to improve his game and work on things like his play action and hot-reads, his two step drop, his ability to read a defense. I didn't know that you spoke for all Eskimos fans, however. Could and should Ray have been better? Sure. Does he deserve to be called garbage by fans who aren't looking at the picture with a level head? Not at all.

Worst ever? Lest you forget some of the down times in this teams history.
It was the worst ever offensive performance in Eskimos history. In over 60yrs of Eskimos history.
Never before have the Eskimos scored only 1 point.

Its one thing to have a beat up reciever core. Its another to give up on the game before the opening kickoff in a homegame. Ray had no try in that game whatsoever. He deserved the disdain from everybody that attended that game. The D kept us in it for awhile but you aren't in a game if you aren't on the scoreboard.

People talk about Henry Burris dissing the crowd? At least he did it with some intensity. Ray could give a **** that there were 35K in the stands that day and he went to the bench each time like a guy that just wanted the game over. Although that was by the 2nd quarter..

Old
12-12-2011, 05:37 PM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
he sure sucked in the 2005 Grey Cup
It's a team game.

We got there on the strength of an amazing defence that, much like this year, got us the ball in excellent field position. That whole season our offence was pitiful and couldnt move the ball especially in the redzone it just went downhill from there.

Ray gets his yards every year and looks like he should be an amazing quarterback but his teams have kept coming up short. He's smart and doesnt give up many interceptions but this isnt a guy who's had a bad year and is coming around this is almost exactly the same way he's played for the last 6 years. Someone posted the stats, the esks were 6th in first downs and 6th in points this season. I dont think he fits here and with all the OC's he's gone through here you'd think one would have got something that worked (including the guy who was back with BC this season)

Old
12-12-2011, 05:38 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
All you have to do is look at the attendance this season. You think people are going to flock to watch a team that will likely go 5-13 or 6-12? In what world?

Edmonton fans demand a winner, and rightfully so. Do you see that happening next year with your 38 y.o wonder-boy beloved by ET and Kavis Reed who proclaims him an MVP. Or perhaps you think that a career back up in Jyles will buck his long and mediocre history where he has shown he is an actual pile of "garbage".

Good luck with that.
Wow, talk about over-reacting. Before you tear up you ticket renewal package and straddle the edge of the high level bridge, look at things realistically. RR in all likelihood is not going to get us back to the GC game. His best years are behind him. We just got a whole lot better with our Canadian content, and have some mobility in the QB position. This move had to happen sooner or later. Better to have it now and get it over with. We need some youth and legs in there.

Old
12-12-2011, 05:39 PM
Klaus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellagiobob View Post
By winner, I am assuming you mean a GC winner. I don't think Ray was going to lead us back to the GC. Those days are gone. He is a respectable QB who puts up good stats. But not I guy who I believe can take us to the big game. Can't do it anymore. I am willing to wait to see how this shakes out before I get too critical. It is 6 months before they play a meaningful game. Lots can happen in that time. Tillman is a smart guy.
Without working on some of the flaws in his game? No, he likely wouldn't have. Common sense sort of dictates that if you're going to trade a player that has some decent value though, you get something at least somewhat valuable in return. The move does nothing to improve the team nor does it address the position going forward.

Perhaps ET is just destroying a rival team before he jumps ship back to Saskatchewan. He, after all, does still have a house there where he lives and spends most of his time even during the football year.

Old
12-12-2011, 05:41 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
It's a team game.

We got there on the strength of an amazing defence that, much like this year, got us the ball in excellent field position. That whole season our offence was pitiful and couldnt move the ball especially in the redzone it just went downhill from there.

Ray gets his yards every year and looks like he should be an amazing quarterback but his teams have kept coming up short. He's smart and doesnt give up many interceptions but this isnt a guy who's had a bad year and is coming around this is almost exactly the same way he's played for the last 6 years. Someone posted the stats, the esks were 6th in first downs and 6th in points this season. I dont think he fits here and with all the OC's he's gone through here you'd think one would have got something that worked (including the guy who was back with BC this season)

Good point. I remember people on here vilifying Chapdelaine, saying he was using RR all wrong and was hindering all that latent talent. And now, Chapdelaine looks really good with Lulay as his QB. Fact is, we 've gone through a whack of OC's here and none have managed to get our offence to where it needs to be, but some have been succesful elsewhere. Time to move on.

Old
12-12-2011, 05:42 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Without working on some of the flaws in his game? No, he likely wouldn't have. Common sense sort of dictates that if you're going to trade a player that has some decent value though, you get something at least somewhat valuable in return. The move does nothing to improve the team nor does it address the position going forward.

Perhaps ET is just destroying a rival team before he jumps ship back to Saskatchewan. He, after all, does still have a house there where he lives and spends most of his time even during the football year.
I'll repeat, and it should be obvious. In this capped league the Ray contract is negative value.

You don't get great return on an overpay in a smallcapped league. just moving that contract is win.

Old
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Well, at least now we have some insight as to how people are going to flip out when/if the Oilers ever trade the beloved and can do no wrong Ales Hemsky.
ha ha came here to post this

Old
bellagiobob

Quote:
Without working on some of the flaws in his game? No, he likely wouldn't have.Common sense sort of dictates that if you're going to trade a player that has some decent value though, you get something at least somewhat valuable in return. The move does nothing to improve the team nor does it address the position going forward.

Let's see how the draft pick works out and what they do with the cap space they acquired before saying this does nothing to improve the team.

Old
12-12-2011, 05:44 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Good point. I remember people on here vilifying Chapdelaine, saying he was using RR all wrong and was hindering all that latent talent. And now, Chapdelaine looks really good with Lulay as his QB. Fact is, we 've gone through a whack of OC's here and none have managed to get our offence to where it needs to be, but some have been succesful elsewhere. Time to move on.
I've made this point for years.

Several OC's, several changes in Oline, outstanding additions to the offensive arsenal at disposal and still nothing. the one constant always being Ray.

Old
12-12-2011, 05:44 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:

You keep saying RR needs to work on his flaws. How long, pray tell, would you like to give him to correct those. You know, the ones like "reading a defence," or mastering the "2 step drop". By the time he masters those, you can give him a gold coloured walker.

And your last statement is absolutely too ridiculous to comment on. Take a pill.

Old
12-12-2011, 05:48 PM
Kyle McMahon

Wish Ray the best, hope he can turn his career around in Toronto. Glad Tillman had the foresight to unload him while he was still an asset.

That being said, if Henry Burris is anywhere near this team next year, count me out. As far as Ray has slipped in the last 5 months, Burris has slipped further (and was never very good to begin with) and would be a downgrade.

The next QB of this team shouldn't currently be in the league, unless it's Quinton Porter. Our scouting staff better have been paying very close attention on Saturday's this fall, picking out our next QB from the NCAA. Make a decent offer to a guy to come up here and make a career for himself. Jarret Lee out of LSU would be a guy to target. May not get drafted to the NFL, make him an offer that's better than being NFL training camp fodder.

Old
12-12-2011, 05:48 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
It was the worst ever offensive performance in Eskimos history. In over 60yrs of Eskimos history.
Never before have the Eskimos scored only 1 point.

Its one thing to have a beat up reciever core. Its another to give up on the game before the opening kickoff in a homegame. Ray had no try in that game whatsoever. He deserved the disdain from everybody that attended that game. The D kept us in it for awhile but you aren't in a game if you aren't on the scoreboard.

People talk about Henry Burris dissing the crowd? At least he did it with some intensity. Ray could give a **** that there were 35K in the stands that day and he went to the bench each time like a guy that just wanted the game over. Although that was by the 2nd quarter..

Sorry Replacement, but that's wrong. Close, but no cigar. I remember a game against Ottawa when Don Trull threw a franchise record 6 interceptions in a 17-0 loss to the Riders. Don't ask me how I can remember that. Now, where did I put my blinkin' glasses?

Old
12-12-2011, 05:50 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
Wish Ray the best, hope he can turn his career around in Toronto. Glad Tillman had the foresight to unload him while he was still an asset.

That being said, if Henry Burris is anywhere near this team next year, count me out. As far as Ray has slipped in the last 5 months, Burris has slipped further (and was never very good to begin with) and would be a downgrade.

The next QB of this team shouldn't currently be in the league, unless it's Quinton Porter. Our scouting staff better have been paying very close attention on Saturday's this fall, picking out our next QB from the NCAA. Make a decent offer to a guy to come up here and make a career for himself. Jarret Lee out of LSU would be a guy to target. May not get drafted to the NFL, make him an offer that's better than being NFL training camp fodder.

Not to worry. Tillman was asked that very question point blank today, and said Burris was not an option.

Old
12-12-2011, 05:56 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Not to worry. Tillman was asked that very question point blank today, and said Burris was not an option.
Thank heavens, good to hear.

Old
12-12-2011, 05:57 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
Russel Wilson is the guy I think we could have a chance at.

He's reported as 5'11, but rumors are he's shorter than that.

Short QBs have had success in the NFL, but I'm not sure there has been any QB's 5'10 or even shorter to a.) get drafted and b.) have success.

The guy, as a prospect, is terrific. Fast release and really accurate.

He may get drafted in the NFL, and if so, dream over, but if he doesn't, maybe he signs with the Eskimos? (yes this is a reach most likely)

He's been developed in a pro style offense, can make all the throws, plays behind a line which is 6'5 average in height.

He'd be a good guy to get imo.

12-12-2011, 05:58 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Sorry Replacement, but that's wrong. Close, but no cigar. I remember a game against Ottawa when Don Trull threw a franchise record 6 interceptions in a 17-0 loss to the Riders. Don't ask me how I can remember that. Now, where did I put my blinkin' glasses?
The EJ had it wrong then. They called it the lowest Eskimo point total in franchise history.

Don Trull. lol. Yeah I remember him and I think Rusty Clark. A very bad year. heh

Old
12-12-2011, 06:02 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Even though I've been one of his biggest boosters I was apathetic towards Ray for much of this season despite watching him have a "bounce back" year. I thought that it was time for the player and the team to go their separate ways but I didn't picture being stuck with Steven Jyles and no legit QB in the fallout.

Old
12-12-2011, 06:05 PM
Hockey Nightmare

deleted

Last edited by Hockey Nightmare: 12-12-2011 at 06:16 PM.
Old
12-12-2011, 06:13 PM
Auguste Escoffier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

Its also wrong. In many games this season Ray was spotted looking at the plays on his arm, calling the play, and it being a similar play to that which would've been called from the bench.
Has this ever been printed or aired, that Ray does in fact call his own plays? In my opinion, he is only reading the plays. Not making the calls on his own.

Closed Thread