HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Coaching, GM changes imminent?

Closed Thread

Old
10-30-2011, 08:03 AM
ClevelandJacketFan
Awesome Mascots!

vCash: 500
Hitch?

No thanks...

Old
10-30-2011, 08:14 AM
Halfboard
New Look

Uh-Oh kids.......................better clean up your rooms..............your mean 'ole Grandpa is coming back!

Old
10-30-2011, 08:17 AM
blahblah

And the inevitable speculation and rumor flying begins. Don't know if this any of this is true, not sure I care at this point.

However, if a change is to be made, having a few days off is probably the time to make it.

Old
10-30-2011, 08:22 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

I'm not worried about Nash.... Seriously. If he resigned long term here because he believes in Howson's plan, he sure doesn't show it... He resigned because he believes in Columbus as a market.

Old
10-30-2011, 08:25 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandJacketFan View Post
Hitch?

No thanks...
Could not agree more, unfortunately, with the pathetic showing from one of the top payroll teams, and this team paying multiple coaches, the likelihood of this becoming a sure thing would seem to be the most fiscally sound move if they are sure this season is lost, which it appears to be.

Old
10-30-2011, 08:25 AM
GScott

The only thing working in Hitch's favor is he has had the chance to view the "new NHL" from the press box for 2 seasons. I'm sure he has changes to his style in mind. The only way I see this working is if Button or whomever is brought in as an interim GM with plans to move on to president or whatever the position was that wasn't filled this summer. Then a new GM and coach are hired later.

Honestly from what I've seen of this team and the comments on practice habits they need a Keenan or Tortirelli type coach. Someone who will come in and not take any BS with their laziness. This also falls squarely on Nash's shoulders. He should be leading by example in practice. Most forget that is was Nash who always chose to ride the bike instead of practice under Hitch.

Old
10-30-2011, 08:27 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by GScott View Post
The only thing working in Hitch's favor is he has had the chance to view the "new NHL" from the press box for 2 seasons. I'm sure he has changes to his style in mind. The only way I see this working is if Button or whomever is brought in as an interim GM with plans to move on to president or whatever the position was that wasn't filled this summer. Then a new GM and coach are hired later.

Honestly from what I've seen of this team and the comments on practice habits they need a Keenan or Tortirelli type coach. Someone who will come in and not take any BS with their laziness. This also falls squarely on Nash's shoulders. He should be leading by example in practice. Most forget that is was Nash who always chose to ride the bike instead of practice under Hitch.
I think everything past this season would be contingent upon Howson and Arniel getting new jobs, the franchise could very well try to resign Hitchcock and Button (again, if this speculation turns out to be true and happens) instead of conducting another full GM search and have that GM do a coaching turnover.

And if I remember right, Hitch was never much of a "Light a fire under their *****" guy when he was the coach here.... He is a bit of an egomanaic though, and he does fully believe in his teachings, but I don't think I remember him ever bag skating these guys like Arniel did.

Old
10-30-2011, 08:43 AM
RBarRegular

Button just tweeted a couple of minutes ago that he's had no contact with the CBJ. He wished Scott H. well in turning this around.

Old
10-30-2011, 08:50 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
A Button/Hitch combo has me seriously considering my fanhood for this team.

10-30-2011, 08:53 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBarRegular View Post
Button just tweeted a couple of minutes ago that he's had no contact with the CBJ. He wished Scott H. well in turning this around.
Understandable, I just can't wrap my mind around Portzline releasing something like that unless it was very close to being a done deal....

I can understand him saying Howson COULD be out, but he took it a step further and threw out a name too.....

Something big is going down....

Old
10-30-2011, 08:54 AM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
There's alot of great young minds across front offices in the league, pluck one of them, someone young and fresh that can think outside the box. Hitch can handle coaching 70 games if that's all, but the GM has to be the right pick.

Old
10-30-2011, 08:56 AM
IBleedUnionBlue

vCash: 278
A GM change is long past due. I want Howson out of there before the sun rises one more day.

And I support Hitch returning as coach. He got thrown under the bus for a team that didnt have NHL talent and NHL depth. And he was dead on in regard to Filabust. He has been exonerated. It only makes sense to allow Hitch to finish the season and his contract out. The new GM can then make a decision about direction & coaching at the end of the season.

Old
10-30-2011, 08:56 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
There's alot of great young minds across front offices in the league, pluck one of them, someone young and fresh that can think outside the box. Hitch can handle coaching 70 games if that's all, but the GM has to be the right pick.
Yep. I just worry that there's not enough "Mental Muscle on Hockey Matters" to successfully snatch one up.

Old
10-30-2011, 08:57 AM
firethecannon

I'd rather see Dudley as GM but from what I understand he is not a "yes" man.

Old
10-30-2011, 09:00 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedUnionBlue View Post
A GM change is long past due. I want Howson out of there before the sun rises one more day.

And I support Hitch returning as coach. He got thrown under the bus for a team that didnt have NHL talent and NHL depth. And he was dead on in regard to Filabust. He has been exonerated. It only makes sense to allow Hitch to finish the season and his contract out. The new GM can then make a decision about direction & coaching at the end of the season.
This team quit on Hitchcock, I don't think there's any doubt about that now. Nevermind the depth, coaching is about getting the most out of your players, and these guys were getting routinely shellacked 5-1 and 6-0 under Hitch during that final season.

I can't argue much cause it would be an interim move (I hope) and financially, it makes sense for a in-the-red franchise to elevate a guy you are already paying a H.C. salary anyways....

Old
10-30-2011, 09:05 AM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Button is the guy who didn't think Martin St. Louis was good enough for the NHL, I'd long for the days of Howson if we got Button.

I'm sad we're even having these conversations. It's a bad dream.

Old
10-30-2011, 09:09 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by firethecannon View Post
I'd rather see Dudley as GM but from what I understand he is not a "yes" man.
This franchise had their shot at Dudley as the "Senior Advisor" before the draft and let him slip through their fingers....

Old
10-30-2011, 09:13 AM
DJAnimosity
buy ticket;take ride

Send a message via Yahoo to DJAnimosity
Just bring in Hitch as interim coach/GM until the end of the season. You can't possibly conduct a proper GM search in 3 days between games. I'd think Hitch wouldn't muck up the trade deadline too badly, as the Jackets' performance is already going to be obvious (unloading Prospal and perhaps Huselius and Vermette).

Old
10-30-2011, 09:13 AM
IBleedUnionBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
This team quit on Hitchcock, I don't think there's any doubt about that now. Nevermind the depth, coaching is about getting the most out of your players, and these guys were getting routinely shellacked 5-1 and 6-0 under Hitch during that final season.

I can't argue much cause it would be an interim move (I hope) and financially, it makes sense for a in-the-red franchise to elevate a guy you are already paying a H.C. salary anyways....
I posted this on 10-22, so it was accurate up to that date...

Arniel has coached the CBJ in 89 games. I'll compare that to Hitchcocks last 89 games.

Arniel - 34 - 41 - 14.
Hitch - 39 - 36 - 14.

And in the last 29 games ...
Arniel: 3-18-8
Hitch: 9-16-4

If you're going to say the team quit on Hitch, then I think a case could be made that Arniel is unable to find a way to get the best from this team as well.

And yes, I think it would be an interim move since Hitch is under contract. At the end of season, the GM would get a chance to put his guy and staff in place.

Old
10-30-2011, 09:16 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedUnionBlue View Post
I posted this on 10-22, so it was accurate up to that date...

Arniel has coached the CBJ in 89 games. I'll compare that to Hitchcocks last 89 games.

Arniel - 34 - 41 - 14.
Hitch - 39 - 36 - 14.

And in the last 29 games ...
Arniel: 3-18-8
Hitch: 9-16-4

If you're going to say the team quit on Hitch, then I think a case could be made that Arniel is unable to find a way to get the best from this team as well.

And yes, I think it would be an interim move since Hitch is under contract. At the end of season, the GM would get a chance to put his guy and staff in place.
No doubt that Arniel is unable to get the best out of them either, but they aren't getting run out of the barn every night like they were under Hitch for that woeful 2 month stretch.

Old
10-30-2011, 09:17 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
Button is the guy who didn't think Martin St. Louis was good enough for the NHL, I'd long for the days of Howson if we got Button.
To be fair you can find that player for just about every GM or ex-GM.

Old
10-30-2011, 09:20 AM
IBleedUnionBlue

From twitter...

Quote:
EricSmithHockey Eric Smith
Jeff Rimer has just stated that Ken Hitchcock told him that there is no truth to him taking over as coach. #CBJ

Old
10-30-2011, 09:30 AM
Matt Foley
Living in a van

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
A Button/Hitch combo has me seriously considering my fanhood for this team.
Same here.

Old
10-30-2011, 09:37 AM
CapnCornelius

Button and Hitchchock?! If these are anythingore than interim moves we are clearly making a mistake by not firing Priest.
Wake up owners! Your team president is a clueless idiot when it comes to hockey and, from the looks of it, buisiness as well.

Old
10-30-2011, 09:41 AM
36kap36

The Blue Jackets' season is as over as the NBA season is at this point.....who cares now? Let someone on here coach for all I freaking care at this point. Too demoralizing to watch them anymore.......

Closed Thread