HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Coaching, GM changes imminent?

Closed Thread

Old
10-30-2011, 08:54 PM
Doug19

vCash: 50
Howson didn't do a good job at all this offseason. He addressed a few needs, but he completely botched the depth of the club. How can you possibly go into the season with the defensive depth that we have? He constantly over pays for everybody he signs and resigns, frankly he's been a pretty terrible GM.

Old
10-30-2011, 08:55 PM
CentreKeeper12
TheCentreKeeper

vCash: 500
Honestly if Scotty 1 and Scotty 2 were on the hot seat before this game.......then they should still be on the hot seat after the game..........winning one game isn't gonna make a difference

Old
10-30-2011, 08:57 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

This kinda stuck out at me.

"#CBJ are off on Monday, but management and coaches will meet to discuss future of C Ryan Johansen, who played Game No. 9 tonight."

Perhaps thats not the only thing they will discuss?

Old
10-30-2011, 08:58 PM
JacketsFanWest

With all the injuries, it's not fair to dump Howson or Arniel now unless the team continued to implode and look lifeless.

The next game is Thursday. Maybe Methot and Carter can be back by that. Dex could be back in two weeks.

There's only 4 games in the first two weeks of November, so it's time to get injured players back and then the schedule gets much, much tougher.

The problem is after November, how big of a hole will the Jackets have dug themselves into if things haven't turned around?

Old
10-30-2011, 09:00 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
This kinda stuck out at me.

"#CBJ are off on Monday, but management and coaches will meet to discuss future of C Ryan Johansen, who played Game No. 9 tonight."

Perhaps thats not the only thing they will discuss?
Seems like an easy decision to me. Keep him here

Old
10-30-2011, 09:11 PM
Matt Foley
Living in a van

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerBlood1 View Post
Honestly if Scotty 1 and Scotty 2 were on the hot seat before this game.......then they should still be on the hot seat after the game..........winning one game isn't gonna make a difference
Exactly. Does 2-9-1 look that much better than 1-9-1? I don't think so either.

That said, Priest deserves to go just as much as the other two guys.

Old
10-30-2011, 09:15 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsFanWest View Post
With all the injuries, it's not fair to dump Howson or Arniel now unless the team continued to implode and look lifeless.

The next game is Thursday. Maybe Methot and Carter can be back by that. Dex could be back in two weeks.
Wow, some of you are just totally delusional. Carter wasn't injured the whole season. Nor was Methot. And the fact that Wiz and Toots have to play 25-30 minutes each to keep Russell and Johnson off the ice should tell you something about our defense.

But, hey, if we stay 100% healthy for the next 70 games, we can be a .500 team the rest of the way. And that's realistic in a sport like hockey, right?

Maybe Doug was right and people really will be tickled pink with mediocrity.

To me, tonight's win was the players reading the paper and deciding they'd best put in a modest effort lest the country club risk closure.

Old
10-30-2011, 09:18 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
To me, tonight's win was the players reading the paper and deciding they'd best put in a modest effort lest the country club risk closure.
Spot on.

Old
10-30-2011, 09:24 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Wow, some of you are just totally delusional. Carter wasn't injured the whole season. Nor was Methot. And the fact that Wiz and Toots have to play 25-30 minutes each to keep Russell and Johnson off the ice should tell you something about our defense.

But, hey, if we stay 100% healthy for the next 70 games, we can be a .500 team the rest of the way. And that's realistic in a sport like hockey, right?

Maybe Doug was right and people really will be tickled pink with mediocrity.

Oh yeah, the players may not have read Portzline today but surely they heard about it.. Itís one win and one solid performance by Mason, one must consider the shots too; Mason was not very busy tonight. October is in the books; letís see how November goes...

Old
10-30-2011, 09:27 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

I could care less what motivates this bunch, money, demotion, losing a country club atmosphere, I could care less. I just want to see the team win. What ever it takes to motivate them is fine with me. Change the coach, change the players, change the GM, change the underwear, I don't give a rip, just win.

Old
10-30-2011, 09:45 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 1138
Quote:
Not exactly surprising that you'd see it that way.

Or, perhaps, they really believe in what management and Arniel are trying to accomplish,and are taking responsibility for its failure to this point.

Keep these guys or fire them, I don't care. I just want the team to do well and build towards something.

Honestly, if you really believe professional athletes would fight to protect an easy, losing atmosphere, maybe you might be suffering from some delusions as well.

Old
10-30-2011, 09:48 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooten View Post
Honestly, if you really believe professional athletes would fight to protect an easy, losing atmosphere, maybe you might be suffering from some delusions as well.
Oh, this is gonna be good! I'll go grab some popcorn and a soda.

Old
10-30-2011, 09:52 PM
kaboomski

Guess it might be too late to "strip the "C" ", yep I said it "strip the "C" "..

Old
10-30-2011, 10:04 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post

Old
10-30-2011, 10:06 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 1138
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Not trying to pick a fight with Capn. I just happen to think players at this level have a little more pride than he's suggesting. I think Vinny's interview was less about a country club and more about inexperience with 'what it takes'.

Old
10-30-2011, 10:19 PM
JacketsFanWest

Quote:
Carter and Methot haven't played since Wiz got back. The "full" team hasn't been on the ice.

The biggest reason for the pitiful record is the defensemen, and with the injuries/suspensions, it's hard to completely blame the coaching staff (the GM, perhaps, since injuries are part of the game).

Youngsters like Moore, Savard, and maybe Clitter, are a work in progress. Maybe Moore continues to cement a top 4 role. But they're going to make mistakes.

York has played a total of 8 professional, regular season games. Both Sanford and Dex getting injured was unforeseeable and gave the team few options as Mason was mediocre.

There's reasons to be optimistic, but way too many "ifs". By the end of November, there may be nothing to look forward to until the draft lottery.

But to say Howson completely failed, blow it up and start over after the injuries/suspension the team has faced, that seems a tad premature. Everything that's happened has been an unfortunate string of events leading to a total clusterf**k of a season.

Old
10-30-2011, 10:20 PM
FANonymous

RyJo - 1
Fowler - 0

Old
10-30-2011, 10:32 PM
brianhatesu

Send a message via AIM to brianhatesu
Quote:
Carter and Methot haven't played since Wiz got back. The "full" team hasn't been on the ice.
It's pretty rare for any team to the "full"team on the ice at any time. Injuries are part of the game, so it's not an acceptable excuse.

As for Arniel, the teams record over the past 30+ games pretty much speaks for itself. There is not a coach in the league that should have a record that bad and keep their job. As for Howson, he's had his chance to build this team. He's not dealing with anything any other team doesn't have to deal with.

Old
10-30-2011, 11:05 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooten View Post
Or, perhaps, they really believe in what management and Arniel are trying to accomplish,and are taking responsibility for its failure to this point.
Funny it took them 12 games to clap to keep Tinkerbell alive.

If they believed in this organization, we'd see more consistent effort instead of watching games like the Ottawa game on an all too often basis.

This idea that pro athletes are any different than any other group of workers in any other industry is laughable. There are workers in other "competitive" industries (stock brokers, business people, lawyers, doctors, etc.). Guess what? No matter the industry there are hard workers, guys that succeed based on luck, guys who put in a full effort and guys who skate by on as little as they have to do to maintain their lifestyle. Nothing about human nature changes when a jersey is put on.

Jaromir Jagr shocked people years ago by stating that hockey really was just a job to him. Do you really think he's alone in that attitude? If you have ever talked to former athletes or heard them interviewed it becomes clear that the fan perspective on what it means to play pro sports and the day-to-day reality are not the same.

In other words, the Prospal mentality is not the only mentality much as fans would like to hope so. You can question whether or not it is the majority viewpoint of this team (and given the performances we've seen, I think it's at least a strong plurality) but there is no doubt there are some who are only passengers.

Old
10-30-2011, 11:11 PM
IBleedUnionBlue

The fact that the players met tonight to talk about organizational unity tells me something is up. Where there is smoke, there is usually fire. I just wish we could see this kind of effort on a consistent and nightly basis form these guys.

Old
10-30-2011, 11:19 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
But to say Howson completely failed, blow it up and start over after the injuries/suspension the team has faced, that seems a tad premature. Everything that's happened has been an unfortunate string of events leading to a total clusterf**k of a season.
Unfortunate, but was it entirely unpredictable?

The defense was what it was going into the season with too much reliance on guys like Russell who have never performed and young guys who were bound to make mistakes. This isn't a new revelation.

I don't care if Sanford and Deckanic were healthy. Neither is an option to accept the lion's share of the load if Mason fails. We knew that Howson's whole gambit was Mason would return to form and if not...well, pretty much what has happened.

This isn't 12 games. It's 4 years. It isn't premature in the least. It should be entirely obvious that our GM has been reactive not proactive. That, as Hitch's defenders, wrong as they were about Hitch, were right when they said Howson had no plan, no identity he was building this team around.

Let's not pretend that this cluster was unforeseeable. As fans we hoped for the best, but while this team has the most talent of Amy Jackets team what it lacks that the playoff team has is depth. And after 4 years, that is a damning statement about the "capilogist's" performance.

Old
10-31-2011, 05:32 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerBlood1 View Post
Of course, if they deserved to be fired before the game, they should have been fired before the game. I mean, if one game isn't going to make a difference.

I'm pretty sure their seat-warmers are still set to whatever's past high.

Old
10-31-2011, 07:18 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Brilliant.

Old
10-31-2011, 07:29 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Is there a chance that a monster trade is in the works involving the Jackets?

I'm talking a room-shaking one, 4 or 5 NHLers involved...

That seems like the next logical step for a general manager and coaching tandem that is on the hot seat, see if they can shake up the room just enough to get results...

Old
10-31-2011, 07:31 AM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
Is there a chance that a monster trade is in the works involving the Jackets?

I'm talking a room-shaking one, 4 or 5 NHLers involved...

That seems like the next logical step for a general manager and coaching tandem that is on the hot seat, see if they can shake up the room just enough to get results...
And a lot of times those can do more damage than good.

It better be a deal that truly helps us, otherwise those who sign off on it should go, too, in addition to GMSH and HCSA.

Closed Thread