HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Players who didn't dominate as kids but made the NHL!!

Old
10-27-2011, 01:54 PM
happyhab*

vCash: 500
Players who didn't dominate as kids but made the NHL!!

Anyone with any good stories about some of these NHLers who were just average players in the Minor Atom, Atom years, but later developed into good NHL players??

happyhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 02:05 PM
Antaris
Totally Trustworthy

Me! WHABAM!
24 years old, played hockey for a year, im just waiting for the clubs to come crawling and begging me to play!

Seriously though, there are several cases of late bloomers, David Perron, Zetterberg, Joe Vitale, Tomas Holmström, Richard Park.

Now these are just a few of the top of my head, but if iirc they're correct.

Antaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 02:07 PM
Beauner

vCash: 91
I remember a feature on Ryan Malone during a Penguins game a few years ago that said he was never the best player on his high school or amateur team but worked hard enough to get to the pros.

Beauner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 03:52 PM
newfr4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antaris View Post
Me! WHABAM!
24 years old, played hockey for a year, im just waiting for the clubs to come crawling and begging me to play!

Seriously though, there are several cases of late bloomers, David Perron, Zetterberg, Joe Vitale, Tomas Holmström, Richard Park.

Now these are just a few of the top of my head, but if iirc they're correct.
what are you talking about? how could you possibly know what these players were as 10 year olds?

zetterberg, perron, and park were all 17 year old studs. yes, players can bloom between 10 and 17, but they don't do it overnight. they all had to excel at every level before they were promoted.

newfr4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 04:36 PM
SauceHockey
Retired

Did Tim Brent get cut from his rep team before?
And last year a 6th rounder who got drafted was cut from his rep team 5 times!

SauceHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 05:14 PM
BigFatPapa

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfr4u View Post
what are you talking about? how could you possibly know what these players were as 10 year olds?

zetterberg, perron, and park were all 17 year old studs. yes, players can bloom between 10 and 17, but they don't do it overnight. they all had to excel at every level before they were promoted.
Well for one, David Perron was playing Midget B at 16 years old (lowest Midget level in his region), then in the next three years he played in junior AAA, then for Lewiston in the Q, then for the Blues. As far as I'm concerned, that's as close to an overnight bloom as it's ever going to get.

BigFatPapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 05:16 PM
Beauner

vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatPapa View Post
Well for one, David Perron was playing Midget B at 16 years old (lowest Midget level in his region), then in the next three years he played in junior AAA, then for Lewiston in the Q, then for the Blues. As far as I'm concerned, that's as close to an overnight bloom as it's ever going to get.
Wow, that's insane. Good for him.

Beauner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 05:20 PM
Stickmata

A friend of mine told me he played hockey with Brendan Shanahan when he was in High School and Shanny was an average player on the team. Fists got him to the NHL and the rest is history.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 05:24 PM
Korppu

Lauri Korpikoski played in 3rd line of TPS D-juniors (Under 14?) when the match was called off because they were down 0-15 in the 2nd period against local Kiekko 67-juniors. Even back in the B-juniors (Under 18) he saw regular time as a healthy scratch and was not allowed to attend U20 teams summer training. He still kept on practicing by himself, developing his skills and skating, tallied 11 points in 6 games in the WJC-18 and got where he is now.

Korppu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 05:25 PM
Antaris
Totally Trustworthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfr4u View Post

This is as i have heard it.

I never claimed it was the godwritten truth, but what i've heard over the years and could remember.

Mkay?

Antaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 06:57 PM
newfr4u

Quote:
at 17, perron was dominating QJAHL at a clip of 1.4 P/G. certainly don't see anything that says he was there for 3 years. he made the QJMHL the following season. here's the source.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=95960

Old
10-27-2011, 06:58 PM
newfr4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korppu View Post
Lauri Korpikoski played in 3rd line of TPS D-juniors (Under 14?) when the match was called off because they were down 0-15 in the 2nd period against local Kiekko 67-juniors. Even back in the B-juniors (Under 18) he saw regular time as a healthy scratch and was not allowed to attend U20 teams summer training. He still kept on practicing by himself, developing his skills and skating, tallied 11 points in 6 games in the WJC-18 and got where he is now.
this i can buy

Old
10-27-2011, 07:47 PM
Dump and Chase
Hand of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post
A friend of mine told me he played hockey with Brendan Shanahan when he was in High School and Shanny was an average player on the team. Fists got him to the NHL and the rest is history.
Shanahan played Major Jr. A for the Knights and was pretty much a monster from his rookie season.

Dump and Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 07:56 PM
Dump and Chase
Hand of God

Matt Read was cut repeatedly from AAA teams growing up. Ended up finally getting a spot on a tier 2 Jr. A team when he was 19. A year in the USHL and parlayed that into a partial scholarship to a division 2 college in Minnesota.

He is now a 24 year old rookie for the Flyers with 6 points in 9 starts.

Last edited by Dump and Chase: 10-27-2011 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Division I and 25yrs
Dump and Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 07:58 PM
Ricky Bobby

Shawn Thornton was an awful junior player and nowhere near one of the better fighters in junior. I use to go to the Petes games a lot at that time and he seriously ankle burned like you'd see a 5 or 6 year old kid do. But he was always one of the hardest workers and was always the first guy to defend his teammates.

This guy made it to the NHL all on heart and determination.

When I think of Happy Gilmore I think of this guy and its great to see he has made a decent career.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 07:59 PM
OpenIceHit42

Paul Stastny

Ben Bishop

Joe Vitale

Chris Butler

Cam Janssen

OpenIceHit42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 08:18 PM
pepel13

Quote:
Knew I would see his name here. I'm from Sherbrooke and I know his story quite well.

What people probably dont know is that he played Midget B because no team (AA-BB-CC) wanted him because he had a lot of problem off and on the ice with everybody (players and coaches). Thats why he was scratched down to midget B even if he was so talented. Heck, his coach that year was his dad, no one wanted to coach him. His attitude was that bad.

He played Bantam AA the year before so his talent was never in doubt but his attitude almost cost him a nhl career.

Last edited by pepel13: 10-27-2011 at 08:25 PM.
pepel13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 10:02 PM
stlblues9

vCash: 5762
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepel13 View Post
Knew I would see his name here. I'm from Sherbrooke and I know his story quite well.

What people probably dont know is that he played Midget B because no team (AA-BB-CC) wanted him because he had a lot of problem off and on the ice with everybody (players and coaches). Thats why he was scratched down to midget B even if he was so talented. Heck, his coach that year was his dad, no one wanted to coach him. His attitude was that bad.

He played Bantam AA the year before so his talent was never in doubt but his attitude almost cost him a nhl career.
What was wrong with his attitude? Just didn't get along with anyone or what?

stlblues9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 10:45 PM
noobman

No mention of Dustin Penner?

He was supposedly cut from every team in Manitoba and wound up playing high school hockey before moving onto a junior college in the US.

He wound up getting a scholarship for the University of Maine and was eventually spotted by someone in the Ducks organization.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 10:51 PM
Schenn
In Rod We Trust

vCash: 816
James Reimer never played organized hockey until he was like 12.

Schenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 12:00 AM
Stickmata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dump and Chase View Post
Shanahan played Major Jr. A for the Knights and was pretty much a monster from his rookie season.
The guy who told me this played with him in High School in Toronto the year before Shanahan played for the Knights. Said he was not a superstar player on that team.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 08:55 AM
Hunter Gathers
No one deserves . .

Send a message via AIM to Hunter Gathers
I can 100% say that I did not think JVR was going to be a NHL player as a kid. Watched him play plenty of times and didn't think he was anything special until he was about 14 or 15. I think he transferred out of Christian Brothers when he was 15? I forget now. I watched him play as a kid quite often. I was always in the age bracket above him, though I played against him in some organized pick-up games I was invited to. I mean, he was one of the best players, but I never thought, "Damn, this kid is going to be a NHL player" until he started playing HS hockey.

Hunter Gathers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 05:16 PM
WithOutPaperss

I'm assuming Tim Thomas didn't dominate, considering how long it took him, but I could be wrong.

WithOutPaperss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 11:54 AM
Frankie Spankie

I know former defenseman Rod Langway didn't even play ice hockey until he was 13, yet he almost hit 1,000 career games played in the NHL (he played 994).

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 12:08 AM
shawn1331

My cousin Matt Lyall played house league until he was 15 when he got called up for 6 games in the playoffs to the Toronto Junoir Red Wings. Then he got picked up into the OHL by Guelph and played there from 16-17 then got traded to Sault st. Maurie and became captain in a few weeks I believe. He got put into the draft but wasn't picked and when he turned 20 he went off to play college hockey in Guelph again. He probably won't make it to the NHL now. He doesn't have the drive to play anymore because of the university leagues being such a low talent level. You can tell when he plays he just doesn't feel the same about hockey as he did when he was a teenager.

shawn1331 is offline   Reply With Quote